PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for 2007 Audi S4 (B7)

spiceboy
10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm looking at a used Audi S4, around 52,000km. Some bells and whistles added to it: intake, exhaust, ECU flash, bodykit, rims
I used to own a 04 A4 1.8T, and the maintenance frequency and cost scared me away. I eventually traded it in for a Toyota! :P
I vowed not to get another Audi without warranty, but this one seems to be in good condition. I'm wondering if any of you out there has experience or knows a thing or two about this V8 engine. Reliable? Driving Experience? I'm going to do some research on Audiworld and Audizine, but would love to get some pointers here first. Thanks!

schocker
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
The only thing I have heard is some funny going ons with the timing chains.
Here is some info
http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/b6-b7-platform/5527-b6-b7-s4-timing-chain-faq-information-discussion-thread.html
Otherwise it is probably much more reliable than the 1.8T due to the problems that engine had. Please no body kit though :D
Some people on here have them so they will likely chime in with some actual owner input. Super nice car though.

bspot
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I'll chime in.

I've had mine form 40,000km to currently 103,000km (B6 though).

Things I've had fixed:

-Leak from the liquid cooling for the alternator
-accessory belt
-coil packs (now a non-issue, there was a recall that addressed this)

There is the odd person with timing system issues. I have a rattle for about a second every time I start the car when it's below 10 degrees and the car has been sitting a while.

From reading up on it, just do a really good job of changing your oil often and use good oil and then I wouldn't worry about it.

Gas mileage is absolutely terrible. Worse than an RS4. It's laughable.

Working on it sucks. I've never sworn so much trying to work on one of my cars.

I still love it. I've never actually kept a car for this long, and I still look forward to going for a drive every time I hop in. Part of my bad fuel economy is loving the way it sounds a little too much.

I put on a set of KW v3s. Highly recommended. I transforms the handling of the car which I was a little disappointed with in its stock form coming from a very nimble car.

In the summer its a blast pushing it through the corners and listening to it in tunnels/under passes.

In the winters, winter tires, metal skid plate, and you are indestructible and will look forward to the roads being covered in fresh snow.

spiceboy
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.
Schoker: Why no bodykit? The one I found has the Oettinger kit :D
bspot: so there was finally a recall on the coil packs huh? Good thing Audi finally recognized it.

schocker
10-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy
Thanks for the feedback so far.
Schoker: Why no bodykit? The one I found has the Oettinger kit :D
bspot: so there was finally a recall on the coil packs huh? Good thing Audi finally recognized it.
Well oettinger is alright, their designs are nice, nothing gaudy though like some people do with their a4/s4's and make them look dumb. :burnout:

bspot
10-21-2011, 12:03 PM
If I was going to pick one kit to put on this car it'd be Oettinger. With a proper install/paint they look DEADLY.

Yes, the coil packs made it through like 20 revisions before they finally found one that worked and did a recall.

They'd even reimburse you for any replacements you had bought. Too bad I totally forgot to submit for that :(