PDA

View Full Version : Real estate agent is horrible....

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 10:17 AM
She has shown the house only once in 2 years.

The house is a 4 level finished but located in Yorkton, Sask.

My question here is can we be using any real estate agent or just local to there? Really want to switch.

Here's where it sits for now.

http://www.remax-bluechip-yorkton-sk.ca/showlisting.php?mls_number=411492&listing_type=RESIDENTIAL

JordanLotoski
10-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Id suggest getting a new agent in that area. Call up any Local remax office and ask for one of the top agents

Id say if your homes been listed for 2 years its more of a pricing issue then anything else.

masoncgy
10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Once in two years? Ummm... I doubt it's just an issue with the realtor.

It's probably priced too high. I don't know that market, but typically if you are not getting any bites, it's because of your pricing.

It helps to have an active realtor, but if you are priced right it will garner it's own attention.

You should have a set amount of time that you are in agreement with that particular realtor to list your home. I believe the standard agreement is 90 days, but you can always extend the period based on your needs.

Have you moved ahead with any price reductions since the house was originally listed? Market conditions today are different than two years ago.

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
The price was never listed until recently, maybe a few months ago.

Believe me, the agent is useless. I don't know what the market is like there currently, it's my parents in law. They are building a new home on york lake and want this one gone.

masoncgy
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Why wasn't the price listed? That's a critical piece of the listing, perhaps the most critical.

Skyline_Addict
10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
houses can be listed without an asking price?

bspot
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
That's a pretty sweet house. It's like you're living in Heritage park!

barmanjay
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
That's strange,.. maybe in Sask the RE is different.

AFAIK: The Price MUST be listed in the MLS system. unless your in-laws place was an "exclusive" listing, or a "pocket" listing.

Neither is listed on the MLS, thus the odds of even having a showing are drastically reduced.

If it was one of these types of listings,.. who idea was it? But none-the-less, everyone else is right.

If the home is not priced within the current "market analysis" the odds are not in your favour for getting showings, let alone selling.

Good Luck!

I'm interested in the details of this!

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Why wasn't the price listed? That's a critical piece of the listing, perhaps the most critical.

I been saying that forever. I had a car for sale before, no price listed on the car. Few weeks later put a price on and it was gone inside a week.

The house really is amazing, there's an outdoor hottub in the back as well since the photos have been taking, new countertop is being put in currently and carpet instead of tiling in the finished basement.

They bought it and gutted it completely about 15 years ago and restored it to the way it's shown. I also wired Satellite (RG6) into each bedroom without drilling outside the house.

I just though it was silly it sat so long without mention. After xmas they are for sure switching agents, I just wanted to put feelers out incase somebody else can show it.

I remember my parents sold our summer home in New Brunswick years ago to buyers in Ontario, I don't really know how that deal got setup. I had been living out here by then.

It's strange considering my father in law's brother owns Remax in White Rock, BC. w/ over 50 agents under him

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
That's strange,.. maybe in Sask the RE is different.

AFAIK: The Price MUST be listed in the MLS system. unless your in-laws place was an "exclusive" listing, or a "pocket" listing.

Neither is listed on the MLS, thus the odds of even having a showing are drastically reduced.

If it was one of these types of listings,.. who idea was it? But none-the-less, everyone else is right.

If the home is not priced within the current "market analysis" the odds are not in your favour for getting showings, let alone selling.

Good Luck!

I'm interested in the details of this!

Thanks, I'll keep ya's posted.

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
That's going to be a tough sell in that town. I don't think anyone in Yorkton is going to pay that kind of price.

I'm not saying it's not worth it, I think it is. But I'm from there and that number just isn't realistic for the market.

If you could pick that house up and drop it on a big lot in Okotoks, I'd buy it in a second.

I saw the plaque on the front pillar. Is Mitch your father in-law? We've had family work done by him, total pro.

nrt_vw
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Thats what I was thinking too. Kinda spooky though

kvg
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
My cousin has been trying to sell his place in Sask for almost 2yrs as well and he gave up recently and just decided to rent it. Almost nobody looked at his place either. He bought the nicest place in the area and even though its cheap by Calgary standards its pricey by Sask standards so he's stuck. They are a selling premium property in a soft market, so they might have to sit on it for quite sometime unfortunately :(

dr_jared88
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM
That problem is that it's a half a million dollar house in Yorkton. Half a million is an expensive house in Regina or Saskatoon. You could build a very nice house to the requirements you want for that price in Yorkton.

pea_soup
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
$458,000 for a house in Yorkton? Man you are kidding me right? What kind of job could a person possible have in yorkton to afford that house.

sputnik
10-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
That problem is that it's a half a million dollar house in Yorkton. Half a million is an expensive house in Regina or Saskatoon. You could build a very nice house to the requirements you want for that price in Yorkton.

My thoughts exactly.

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

Or you could buy one of the other many homes that age in town and reno it for (probably) less money. It's still a beautiful property though.

2007RS4
10-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by bspot

I was going to say funeral home, but yeah.

project240
10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Point4Dave
She has shown the house only once in 2 years.

The house is a 4 level finished but located in Yorkton, Sask.

My question here is can we be using any real estate agent or just local to there? Really want to switch.

Here's where it sits for now.

http://www.remax-bluechip-yorkton-sk.ca/showlisting.php?mls_number=411492&listing_type=RESIDENTIAL

What a small world. I grew up in Yorkton less than a block away, lol. I'd say the problem is price, but also the realtor. My parents used her when they sold the house 8-10 years ago and there were very few showings. Our house was larger, much more updated, larger lot and sold for under 200K (again, this was like 2003ish).

I think decor may have something to do with it as well

:dunno:

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by project240

What a small world. I grew up in Yorkton less than a block away, lol. I'd say the problem is price, but also the realtor. My parents used her when they sold the house 8-10 years ago and there were very few showings. Our house was larger, much more updated, larger lot and sold for under 200K (again, this was like 2003ish).

I think decor may have something to do with it as well

:dunno:

Tupper Ave over here.

project240
10-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Is Mitch your father in-law? We've had family work done by him, total pro.

Damn, I knew that house looked way too familiar... couldn't figure out why. I know Mitch and went to school with his daughters.

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
What year did you graduate? YRHS or SHHS?

project240
10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
What year did you graduate? YRHS or SHHS?

YRHS in 2000

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
YRHS 1991

Gridders.

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
That's going to be a tough sell in that town. I don't think anyone in Yorkton is going to pay that kind of price.

I'm not saying it's not worth it, I think it is. But I'm from there and that number just isn't realistic for the market.

If you could pick that house up and drop it on a big lot in Okotoks, I'd buy it in a second.

I saw the plaque on the front pillar. Is Mitch your father in-law? We've had family work done by him, total pro.

Yessir, Mitch is my father in law. Married to his oldest Daughter.

I also did his website, keep in mind I DID NOT WANT to use music, he wanted it, customer always wins. www.theartoflife.ca . He also just did about 600 photos of his daughter/my wife for her new site www.missbrit.ca which I'll have open in the next cpl of weeks. (fulltime dance/pilate/zumba instructor).

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by nrt_vw

Thats what I was thinking too. Kinda spooky though

There have been ghosts spotted in the house, not even kidding.

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by project240

Damn, I knew that house looked way too familiar... couldn't figure out why. I know Mitch and went to school with his daughters.

Which ones? They are 14 years apart lol.

Point4Dave
10-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Well ya know if you see my 08' Civic in the driveway I'm visiting.

My sister in law is selling the green 98' civic si that sits out front if anybody is interested lol.

nrt_vw
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

There have been ghosts spotted in the house, not even kidding.

Yeah I believe it

project240
10-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Which ones? They are 14 years apart lol.

I knew Brittany and Carly.

BoostinAround
10-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Honestly...and this is going to be brutally honest... it is not selling because of the following:

-Too much wallpaper
-Too many items in any given room makes the rooms look small and cluttered
-Too many colours and patterns because of wallpaper + carpet.
-Overall the entire house has too many mismatched flooring, walls, cupboards and feels cramped and claustrophobic just from looking at the pictures.

The outside and yard are done nice though. If they really want to sell it, they need to hire a professional painter....have them pick more modern neutral colors that are aesthetically pleasing, and get rid of all the wall paper.

I mean I get that the "antique look" is the point of the house, but it just feels too cluttered with wallpaper, then 20 pictures/mirrors on 1 wall, then super dark wood trim and carpet.

I honestly doubt it's the realtors fault. People aren't looking at it because it doesn't look like a home people want to live in currently. With some reno's it would probably sell fast.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2011, 08:30 AM
BoostinAround is 100% right about what's wrong with the house, but I'm going to spread the blame around a bit. The Agent should have kicked their ass a long time ago about these issues. This house needs to be decluttered in the worst way. Then it needs to be professionally staged, and have Professional Photos taken.

I had Jordan sell a house for me a few years ago. My wife and I worked for two weeks declutering, we moved half our stuff into storage. Jordan came over to take the final pics, then refused, and spent two hours showing us how much more work we had to do. Took another two weeks to get it up to his standards.
During the slowest month in ten years, my house sold for asking price in 48 hours. That's the kind of effort and expertise that will be required to sell this house. It honestly sounds like both the agent and the sellers aren't actually motivated.

Point4Dave
10-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Well as mentioned up above, new flooring, countertops are being done right now. It's no secret that house has to sell to certain buyers at that asking price. NOBODY local in Yorkton is going to afford it.
It was restored to look original about 15 years ago, not to look modern..to that I say to each and their own.

RickDaTuner
10-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I think given the fact that there are 150k homes all up and down that block, will also make it a hard sell.

It looks great from the outside at least.