PDA

View Full Version : F**K This App

kenny
10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Toyota just launched a new iPhone app that lets users position computer-generated renderings of the upcoming FT-86 sports car against real-world backdrops and then share them with other users. Judging from the video Toyota released to promote the app, Instagram shouldn't feel threatened; the renderings aren't exactly stellar, and the novelty of positioning a CGI FT-86 on your iPhone screen is likely to wear off quickly. Fortunately, the app is free. Just remember, kids, you get what you pay for.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/10/22/toyota-launches-new-ft-86-app/

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Fuck this car!

jsn
10-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Fuck this app, fuck this car, fuck toyota.

It still surprises me how much they're hyping up this car. It's going to have to be pretty damn amazing to live up to the hype.

Cos
10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Lol good title kenny. I guess this is the only way to see the car in real life for a while if they are pulling this stunt?

Neil4Speed
10-23-2011, 08:45 PM
F**k this car!

picmerollin
10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Fuck this app, fuck this car, fuck toyota.

x2

MGCM
10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
in the end all we will see is the scion version anyway and damn, they better hope it destroys the field or they will sit on the dealership lots forever.

Cos
10-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I was actually hoping to try out the FT86 before I settled on a Project Car. I have now bought my car so I wont be even testing an FT86 out. Unless it is a little crazy pocket rocket for $40,000 I wont even bother.

Good job toyota.

Mibz
10-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I was actually hoping to try out the FT86 before I settled on a Project Car. I have now bought my car so I wont be even testing an FT86 out. Unless it is a little crazy pocket rocket for $40,000 I wont even bother.

Good job toyota. Not likely. I'll be genuinely surprised if a version with more than 210 hp makes it here on launch.

Zephyr
10-24-2011, 02:34 AM
They are probably looking at the way Nissan hyped the GTR before final design reveal and release, and the success the car has gotten. I really hope Toyota delivers, unlike the rest of the mediocre cars they have. I wish they just finish and release the dam thing already!

Xtrema
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Good job toyota.

Nah. My guess would be 200hp for the Toyota. And if we are lucky, a bit more with turbo on the Subaru.

So I hope this thing is Lotus light.

hurrdurr
10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I wish the Subaru had AWD to at least justify the much speculated much higher pricetag

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Is there even a release date yet for this car?

A790
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Is there even a release date yet for this car?
Next fall.

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
wow... a year is a lifetime in the car industry.

slinkie
10-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Nah. My guess would be 200hp for the Toyota. And if we are lucky, a bit more with turbo on the Subaru.

So I hope this thing is Lotus light.

I think the mounting points match EJ series boxer motors so STI swaps are a possibility (Info from club4ag)

Xtrema
10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by slinkie

I think the mounting points match EJ series boxer motors so STI swaps are a possibility (Info from club4ag)

Then I may as well go buy a 335i

max_boost
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't get it. What's so exciting about this car? lol :confused:

94boosted
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I don't get it. What's so exciting about this car? lol :confused:

Not a thing.

Toyota just wants you to think they've reinvented the wheel

Cos
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Like I said, if this thing isnt 350 hp, 2 cylinder, and gets 100mpg it is going to be disappointing.

Godfuader
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
From Top Gear:

Toyota FT-86 and Subaru BRZ coupes finally revealed

It's been a long time coming. Toyota and Subaru have announced that they'll be showing their co-developed Toyota FT-86 and Subaru BRZ sports coupes at the Tokyo motor show next month. Finally.

They go on display ahead of their UK launches next summer, and, if the numbers come correct, we reckon they may well salvage both companies' currently rather dull images.

Both get a Subaru-derived flat-four engine and six-speed manual ‘box, with the option of a six-speed auto. Though ticking that one would be unbridled heresy. Output differs between the marques - the Scooby BRZ gets "less than 300bhp" while the FT-86 dangles around the 200bhp mark.

Underneath, they'll be identical, both getting limited-slip differentials and independent suspension. On the outside, they'll be differentiated by grills, badges and wheels.

The FT-86 especially is designed to appeal to the drifters - the stability control system even allows a dab of sideways before it tells you off. It'll be lithe, too - Toyota says it's 200kg lighter than a VW Scirocco (around 1100kg). It gets some trick suspension refinements, too - top-spec dampers and Euro-biased handling. Price? Around £20,000. Which seems very reasonable.

Details on the Subaru are a bit hazier. But we do know that it won't be four-wheel drive and will be a touch dearer - around £25,000, though no numbers have been confirmed - on account of the extra 100-odd bhp.

Both sound pretty promising. And we've been waiting a quite a while... But which would you buy, TopGear.commers?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/Toybaru-coupes-2011-10-19

Mibz
10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Are there any other ~200 crank hp (bhp in Britain means 'base', right?), RWD, 2,500 lb vehicles out there?

Gen Coupe 2.0 is 3,300 lb and does 0-60 in 6.7, so can we assume a mid-high 5 second 0-60?

I'm genuinely surprised it's that light.

kvg
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Most hyped piece of shit ever!!!

In the words of Twinvcam

"FUCK THIS CAR!!!"

max_boost
10-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Not a thing.

Toyota just wants you to think they've reinvented the wheel

Why everyone so mad brah? Fuck this Fuck that etc. haha

It's Toyota, they haven't made anything cool/affordable/fast since the MR2 :D

slinkie
10-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Are there any other ~200 crank hp (bhp in Britain means 'base', right?), RWD, 2,500 lb vehicles out there?

Gen Coupe 2.0 is 3,300 lb and does 0-60 in 6.7, so can we assume a mid-high 5 second 0-60?

I'm genuinely surprised it's that light.

A brake is applied to the engine, it means flywheel hp yes

Power_Of_Rotary
10-25-2011, 12:15 AM
toyota's sports cars has slowly dwindled down to nothing.. from supras/ae86 to celicas, to corrollas only now.

now they want to start the sports coupe lines again, maybe because of there downfall due to the braking issue? remaking the supra and this POS?

A790
10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I love how the bandwagon is all about "fuck this car". Fuck that, as an auto enthusiast I hope that this car comes out and is a great piece of kit. I hope that it performs well, looks great, and is reasonably affordable.

I hope so, because our little niche in the industry depends on machines like this one shaking things up and actually bringing more people into the scene.

Zephyr
10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by A790
I love how the bandwagon is all about "fuck this car". Fuck that, as an auto enthusiast I hope that this car comes out and is a great piece of kit. I hope that it performs well, looks great, and is reasonably affordable.

I hope so, because our little niche in the industry depends on machines like this one shaking things up and actually bringing more people into the scene.

I think it's because they keep teasing everyone with it and taking their sweet time. Meanwhile they are constantly releasing hybrids and making their current line of cars really dull.

Danny Meehan
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
LFA for the masses ?

Mibz
10-25-2011, 11:11 AM

I hope so, because our little niche in the industry depends on machines like this one shaking things up and actually bringing more people into the scene. I was just pissed off that we got nothing from them. No information was ever reported to be solid. We got over-the-top concept cars, dozens of potential power ranges, etc. but no real information.

Now that there are spy shots of both versions and pseudo-confirmed specs I'm interested again. If top trim comes in under $500 a month on a 3 year lease and it's fun to drive, it'll be in a good spot.

heavyD
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
LOL I completely forgot about this car until browsing this thread. This car's been in developement longer than the Duke Nukem Forever.

cloud7
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
The key to the success of the original AE86 was not power or styling... it was affordable price, ok handling, and RWD. I think they really messed it up by spending so much time on the styling, try to make it sporty, and the price will probably be too high. The success of the car is that people will modify them to suit them.

I was originally looking forward to this car and was seriously going to buy one when it comes out. However, things changed and it doesn't look like I won't be adding this car to my list.

Xtrema
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Toyota is being a tease. The original FT-86 concept was in 2009. It's going to be 2012 is about 2 short months and we don't have a production vehicle yet. I think this is the longest a concept ever took to reach production.

The concept got worst and worst as production close in (expected). Specs were never committed nor the segment it's suppose to compete in.

In all, fuck this car (but I may still buy one)

jonnycat
10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
^the camaro took 4 years (2006-2010) it was due for a styling update before it even launched

treg50
10-25-2011, 09:58 PM
FUCK
IT.

Godfuader
10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

I think it's because they keep teasing everyone with it and taking their sweet time. Meanwhile they are constantly releasing hybrids and making their current line of cars really dull.
I agree, but the hybrid buyers have the money and potential to buy today. The enthusiast wants it to be a track monster, cost $100/mth, and do 50mpg...with no means of buying today.

J-hop
10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat
^the camaro took 4 years (2006-2010) it was due for a styling update before it even launched

Yea I was going to mention the camaro, and I think the camaro is doing pretty well, even though as a car enthusiast I think it's a pretty lack luster package that came out after all that hype....