PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Coyotes

sputnik
10-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Now that the Jets have their team and the Thrashers are a memory, what will the fate of the Coyotes be?

Current status

- NHL owns the team
- No potential owner interested in keeping the team in Phoenix
- City of Glendale is paying millions backstopping their losses
- The Westgate Center is bankrupt
- Nobody goes to the games (unless the Jets are in town)

This is apparently what 7100+ people (announced attendance) looks like. Note that this picture was taken during their last home game in the middle of play (not during an intermission).

http://lakingsinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC00763.jpg

Will Quebec City get a new team next season?

Maybe Hamilton, Kansas City or Seattle?

dino_martini
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I hope they stick around for another season so I have a chance to see a Flames game where tickets are dirt cheap

Dave P
10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I heard Vegas is in the running as well

Neil4Speed
10-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I find it somewhat surprising that attendance is that low, lots of Canadians down there, and the Greater Phoenix Area has a population of 3 Million+

bulaian
10-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I find it somewhat surprising that attendance is that low, lots of Canadians down there, and the Greater Phoenix Area has a population of 3 Million+

It's because there's so many other things to see and do down there. They have an NFL team, MLB, NBA and NHL. Tons of good golf courses, shopping.

Also when it's still 30+ degress outside, lots of people don't want to have to bring a jacket or hoodie and sit in a cold arena for 3 hours watching a sport that a lot of them know nothing about.

I doubt there are many aspiring hockey players in the area, dying to watch the team that they wish to play for when they grow up. I would be surprised if there were kids hockey programs and a minor league down there.

sputnik
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Relying on snowbirds doesn't really work as they won't buy seasons tickets. Most have favorite teams from back home and have no interest in watching the Coyotes 41 times.

Also most snowbirds I know only go to Phoenix between Christmas and Easter.

B20EF
10-24-2011, 08:42 AM
The jumbotron says its only 2 minutes into the first period against the Kings. I could see a lot of people showing up later. 7100 people should be about 40% full. Thats looks like its only 10% full.

My guess is they go to Hamilton next year.

D'z Nutz
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Now that the Jets have their team and the Thrashers are a memory, what will the fate of the Coyotes be?

Ouch that picture gives me flashbacks of the mid to late 90's Flames games when you couldn't even give tickets away.

I have a feeling there might be something major for the team this year. Now that the Thrashers have been relocated to Winnipeg and the divisions/conferences have to be realigned, the NHL might just have to say enough's enough and force Phoenix to do something or consider relocation seeings now they don't want to be in a situation where they are doing another realigning in a year or two.

My guess is Quebec City is high on the list of potential relocations. Toronto and Buffalo (especially Toronto) might not like the idea of Hamilton having a team so close to their proximity and cutting into their revenue. Is there even a demand for a team in Kansas City or Seattle? Kansas City wouldn't be a bad spot since it'd be in the middle of Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.

Originally posted by dino_martini
I hope they stick around for another season so I have a chance to see a Flames game where tickets are dirt cheap

Haha that's why I'm going to Phoenix at the beginning of March when the Flames are visiting.

TE4MFaint
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
They will find a buyer.
My guess is they stay in Phoenix.

mac_82
10-24-2011, 09:11 AM
The NHL seems to be obsessed with putting a team in Vegas. They have had the end of year awards there for the last 3 years.

Kansas City is a pretty good bet. They have an empty arena, and have hosted exhibition games the last 3 years, selling out the Kings-Penguins game this year.

Seattle is in the process of building a new arena and trying to lure the NBA back, as well as an NHL team.

Add Quebec City to the bottom of the list, I don't think they come close to a team until the new rink is done. Give it 3-5 years.

The question is what teams move? Phoenix is for sure. The NYI have been held up getting a new arena in forever. Would struggling teams like Columbus, Nashville, Florida, New Jersey, St Louis move in the next 5 years? Or does the league try to push it's limit and go to 32 teams?

Kloubek
10-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow - that picture is pathetic. How can people not realize this is the best game on earth?!

slick2404
10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Fixed.

Originally posted by Kloubek
Wow - that picture is pathetic. How can people not realize this is the coolest game on earth?!

http://www.abdcards.com/pucks/nhlpucks/coolstgm.jpg

Jlude
10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
saw this picture a couple days ago. Pretty sad really.

so many cities in the mix now... hard to say who gets the first one.

If the league adds another team... :facepalm:

Quizzes
10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure if Portland, Oregon is in the mix, but I'm gonna throw that one in there. It's a predominantly white city which should appeal to their demographics. I know the Winterhawks of the WHL play here, so not sure if the NHL would want to step on their toes? It would make for a seamless re-alignment.

Remember... The Flames were rumored to be going there during the dark days.

Benny
10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a friend with a place in Phoenix and we're planning on going to a few games and doing some golfing when it gets cold up here. He said the deals you can get are ridiculous. Spend $25, get good seats with a slice of pizza and a pop. Even if you're in the upper bowl, just walk down the lower bowl and take a free seat.

But yeah they're gonna be out of there sooner rather than later. Gotta take advantage of those deals when the team is still around.

sputnik
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
The jumbotron says its only 2 minutes into the first period against the Kings. I could see a lot of people showing up later.

I would consider that a valid excuse if...

- most of the luxury boxes weren't dark and empty
- there were people on the stairs headed to their seats

dj_honda
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

My guess is Quebec City is high on the list of potential relocations. Toronto and Buffalo (especially Toronto) might not like the idea of Hamilton having a team so close to their proximity and cutting into their revenue. Is there even a demand for a team in Kansas City or Seattle? Kansas City wouldn't be a bad spot since it'd be in the middle of Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/973221

In fact, with 9 million people, the larger Golden Horseshoe could successfully support as many as three NHL teams. The study found that another team would be successful in Hamilton, London or Kitchener-Waterloo.

max_boost
10-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Toronto Owners are a bunch of greedy bastards and would probably veto the idea.

xnvy
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Toronto Owners are a bunch of greedy bastards and would probably veto the idea. This, I expect that the Toronto owners will bitch and whine to make Hamilton some sort of last resort. I would love for Quebec to get a team again, but realistically that won't happen until their arena is finished. The fact that Phoenix doesn't really have any big names to boost ticket sales and is nothing more than average doesn't set a bright future for them either.

Mibz
10-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Isn't Portland filled with hippies?

sputnik
10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
This, I expect that the Toronto owners will bitch and whine to make Hamilton some sort of last resort. I would love for Quebec to get a team again, but realistically that won't happen until their arena is finished. The fact that Phoenix doesn't really have any big names to boost ticket sales and is nothing more than average doesn't set a bright future for them either.

If they can sell out the Colisee Pepsi in the interim for 3-4 years there shouldn't be a problem getting them a franchise for next year.

It really isn't much smaller than the permanent home of the Jets.