PDA

View Full Version : LF Shinny group to join...

TYMSMNY
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Myself and up to 2 others are interested in filling up spots and/or joining a permanent shinny group for the remaining season.

PM or post. Beginner-intermediate skill level.

Thanks,

Ryan

R-Audi
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
There was an add on Kijiji looking for shinny players...

TYMSMNY
10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
yea, texted and called the guy a few times with no answer. Andrew was his name i believe.

Looked like what I wanted to...

r3ccOs
10-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Andrew Yip is good guy...

He never tried to involve me on any of his business endeavors, I just go to play the occational pickup game and I've played enough times with him to fimiliarize myself with his patrons who are some really nice people.

Sunday nights are his beginner nights I think, the other days the skill levels vary, but are very fun regardless.

Otherwise I play lunchtimes when I can at South Fish, Trico or Village Square, and luckily I have my league games on Friday @ 10

wintonyk
10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

He never tried to involve me on any of his business endeavors, I just go to play the occational pickup game and I've played enough times with him to fimiliarize myself with his patrons who are some really nice people.

Sunday nights are his beginner nights I think, the other days the skill levels vary, but are very fun regardless.

Otherwise I play lunchtimes when I can at South Fish, Trico or Village Square, and luckily I have my league games on Friday @ 10

Yeah I have played with this guy too. Haven't had any business challenges like some people have with him.

He has been awesome for hockey. I started with his sunday night beginners then moved to just the regular ice. He has ice pretty much every day of the week. He sends a text everyday with location and time. Ice can fill up fast. Tonight is at Triwood at 11pm.

He can sometimes take a while to get back to you because he is so busy. Its usually best to text vs call/voicemail.

TYMSMNY
10-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

OHHHHH.... I see, didn't know his last name otherwise I would've put 2 and 2 together. I just want to go and play hockey lol...

Let me know if you have spots to fill.. my gear is always close by hahaha.

revelations
10-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Yiptech.com Andrew

yea.... knew I saw his name in print somewhere before I heard it mentioned!

call/txt 403 827 9797 - he sends out mass texts sometimes

FYI, the beginner nights, sundays, are at 1030pm in Acadia.

TYMSMNY
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
alright, in for tonight @ 10:15. :D

Moonracer
10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
He's a nice guy and all but always has way to many guys and charges to much for the late time slots he has. It's always 11pm or later and charges $15 and has about 14 guys a side which sucks. I even heard he charges goalies too :thumbsdow

Jerms
10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I can vouche for that also... I had gone to one of his ice times at 11:15pm at Crowchild.. there were 30 skaters, the ice was for an hour and fifteen and he charged $15/person... i'm pretty sure it didn't cost him $450 for that ice time... haven't gone since

Moonracer
10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Ya doesn't cost him $200 even, he's making good money.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
He's a nice guy and all but always has way to many guys and charges to much for the late time slots he has. It's always 11pm or later and charges $15 and has about 14 guys a side which sucks. I even heard he charges goalies too :thumbsdow
I've been to a few of Andrews ice times and even with a lot of skaters all of the guys are pretty good for running short shifts so you still get a good amount of ice time. yes he over charges but the convenience of having ice anytime with no commitment seems like an okay deal to me.
He also has never propositioned me for his amway junk which is nice.

Moonracer: long time bud, you still playing shinny lots or just nchl?

Moonracer
10-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

I've been to a few of Andrews ice times and even with a lot of skaters all of the guys are pretty good for running short shifts so you still get a good amount of ice time. yes he over charges but the convenience of having ice anytime with no commitment seems like an okay deal to me.
He also has never propositioned me for his amway junk which is nice.

Moonracer: long time bud, you still playing shinny lots or just nchl?

Hey man, ya long time for sure. I just quit the team I was with and i'm just playing a couple of shinnys per week now. Couldn't handle the drama and BS of some of the guys on the team. Never knew if we were going to make it through a game without it getting called from too many penalties or not etc.....lol

r3ccOs
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
not defending Andrew... but have you guys tried hosting shinny?

I've tried to get a good ice time in the summer, at about $220 a shot... have had lined up at least 20 friends with goalies (who I didn't charge to play)

but 13 showed and I ate the cost.

Like anyone and anything... its up to you whether you want to pay for the convenience.

In my books, I wouldn't charge the goalies and have so many people out, BUT... hey I like having no commitments to play a pickup game.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Not defending andrew either but in the half dozen or so games I've played in andrews shinny I have honestly never seen him charge a goalie once. he also ref's a bunch of the games for fun (unnecessary) and has a girlfriend do score keeping (again unnecessary but kinda nice).

wintonyk
10-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I have no complaints about the guy.

15 bucks for guaranteed goalie. Scorekeeper most the time. And Ice pretty much every night. In the summer he was getting 9 pm ice times too. I am fine with paying that.

There is usually 2 lines of d and 3 lines of forwards. Andrew does work to just not invite the guys that people complain about (long shifts, over aggressive, etc.

Haven't played in a while though, bummed up my knee.

Moonracer
10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Well the reason I mentioned the goalie deal was I chatted with a goalie at one of the shinnies I go to and got on the subject of andrew. He told me andrew called him at the last minute looking for a goalie because one of the ones he had already backed out. This goalie accepted and said he'll be there and when he did show up and played he was asked to pay. He was like WTF :dunno:

--r3ccOs you have a good point and yes I have put some on too. With the amount of contacts he has he could easily cap it at 11 per side and still be making money if a few guys didn't show up. But if guys are coming out and paying every night and he is making money then good for him right. For me it's just not good bang for my buck. Coming out that late and not getting much ice time.

The guys I play with I only pay about $12 per ice time at 9:45pm and the other is late fridays $11 for an hour and a half with no more than 10 guys a side.