PDA

View Full Version : Sweet sushi soy-sauce

shin0bi
10-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Anyone ever eaten at Kinjo or Sushi Boat and had their sweetened soy sauces?

That stuff is as delicious as it is addictive, and I'm convinced they drug the stuff to keep you coming back for more.

Trouble is, it gets expensive eating out all the time, so I want to try and replicate that recipe for myself.

Anyone know how it's made?

ajooo
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
sugar and soy sauce

shin0bi
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ajooo
sugar and soy sauce

There's no way it could be that simple. Unless they use brown sugar, or raw sugar perhaps? Seems to me the flavours are too complex to be just soy + sugar. I've heard they use mirin at sushi boat.

Im hoping for ratios.

rage2
10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi
There's no way it could be that simple. Unless they use brown sugar, or raw sugar perhaps? Seems to me the flavours are too complex to be just soy + sugar. I've heard they use mirin at sushi boat.

Im hoping for ratios.
It's that simple. Beyond knows all.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/203105/replicating-the-sweet-soy-sauce-at-sushi-boat/

Ex-employee posted a vague recipe.

Disoblige
10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, it's just sugar and soy sauce my friend.

That's one of the reasons why I eat at Towa (same owners as Sushi Boat). Just love the sweet :D

Check out this thread :)
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=203105

Edit: Fuck.

shin0bi
10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow! Alright. I guess I'm muck around with some ratios and if I find something that tastes right, I'll repost.

Disoblige
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Yep what GQBalla said, make sure you heat up the mixture and gradually add sugar. Because if you notice their sauce, it has a thicker consistency so they allowed the sugar to caramelize.

Makes sense.

shin0bi
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
^^ True, and that is what I didn't do when I tried the normal sugar thing. I threw it in the microwave for a few seconds... Just long enough to let it dissolve.

I'll give it a go later!

GQBalla
10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Ahaha. That was me! Damn the time flys.

sexualbanana
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Is it their regular sauce? Or do I have to ask for it?

rage2
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
There's 2 bottles of soy sauce that sit in front of you at Sushi Boat. One is sweet, one is reguarly.

Personally, I think it's blasphemy eating sushi with sweet soy sauce. Then again, you don't go to sushi boat for quality haha.

GQBalla
10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
red is the sweet
black is the regular

n1zm0
10-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Personally, I think it's blasphemy eating sushi with sweet soy sauce.

+1 something i never understood why it's even out for use, but i guess it's to each their own.

shin0bi
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Alright, I attempted to make my own variant of sweet soy-sauce, as found at Kinjo and SushiBoat. Turned out pretty good, so I decided to make a bit of a walkthrough.

I had both Kinjo and SushiBoat sauces beside me as baselines so I could try and emulate the flavours as closely as possible.

I started with 200ml bottle of Yamasa sashimi soy sauce. I think I got it at Superstore or Sobeys, in their 'ethnic' aisle. This is the stuff to use. It's light, and has a strong, but not overpowering, or overly salty flavour.

I thew the whole bottle into my saucepan and brought it to a boil. Then I added regular white sugar a teaspoon at a time, carefully sampling it after adding and stirring it in.
For the first few teaspoons, it tasted god awful, and I thought I had ruined it, but I kept going. Little by little, it started to taste pretty good. I found that I needed to add a shit ton of sugar before I could get the sweet on par with the savoury, so bear that in mind if you're a fatty. ;)

As the water was boiling out of the mixture, the flavour was becoming stronger and I had concerns that it would be too overpowering for the sushi, so I added a bit of water back in, little by little. By the end of the process, I probably added an additional 100ml of water, but I underwent this entire process by the tastebuds, so I don't know for sure.

Because I wanted a more complex flavour, I decided to do a bit of improvising.
Added half a teaspoon of the thick hoisin sauce, annd a teaspoon of mirin. Then, after I turned the stove off, I threw in half a teaspoon of jasmine green tea (loose) and let it steep a bit.

The result: Delicious. It still tastes a bit different than SushiBoat and Kinjo, which I suppose is to be expected. After all, I don't know what brand of soy-sauce they start out with, or what their quantities are... Mine still retains a savoury bite, which I think is awesome, and it's got a balance of sweetness and complexity that I like. I'd call this one a win.

So, if you've ever wondered how you could do it at home, then give it a shot! Just make sure to taste it as you go so you can make adjustments on the fly.

p1noystylez
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
you can buy sweet soy sauce.

clem24
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Oh man.... Sweet soya sauce and sushi is just so wrong on so many levels. And I seriously can't believe there's a hugely detailed write up on how to make SWEET SOYA SAUCE. Yes this is what happens when you put man in front of a stove and not a BBQ. :rofl:

Affinityion
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Haha whatever, I'm not complaining :thumbsup: . Thanks for the effort there Shin0bi for putting together that tutorial :D

Roarasaur
11-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I remember a time when I was trying to replicate this sweet soya sauce too. My suggestion is try adding in a bit of mirin like shinobi mentioned and also adding a small piece of kombu while the soya sauce is steeping. Just a small 2" piece (washed and wiped) in about a cup or two of soya sauce and your done. Perfect for sushi.