PDA

View Full Version : Couple VW questions.

ekguy
10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Well tried to google some local vw forums and doesn't seem to be specific calgary ones.

So other than vwvortex, which forums are you VW guys frequenting?

Also with my new job comes this lovely thing called bonuses lol, so my yearly budget should be able to accommodate a vr6 swap.

Now with that said i am literally 100% new to vdubs, so as far as i can tell there's lot's of different vr6's and i have no clue which is desirable or even which will fit.

Nor do I know any vw specific shops other than concept1 and i know they can't be the only ones.

Have rims lined up, suspension as well. Just need to know more info on my potential swap and have no idea where to start.

It's easy being an acura/honda owner in this city since it's all i've known it's easy for me to find someone to help me along with my cars. This is now a problem since I've switched (probably for good) to a vw.

Thanks in advance for any info posted. Looking forward to jumping head first into modding my gti.

Never felt so passionate about modding a car yet so hopefully i get lot's of info.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Tunedub is the best source, they've done plenty of VR swaps. They can even find the parts for you if you ask nicely and have the cash.

Ben
10-25-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm making the asumption that you want to put a VR6 into a MK2 (85-92) VW? Concept 1 can put you in the right direction, chat with the guys on eurodrivers.ca or clubveedub.com and see what they can recommend for other shops, I'm sure George at Tunedub can get you something set up too, hes great with the VW's. For the swap its self, I'd buy an entire donor vr6 car, preferably from a passat (less chance of being bagged) however if you grab one from an MK3 jetta/golf you'll have the axles and subframe that you'll need to use on the mk2 (can source these seperately however, VR6 is 5 lug, MK2's were 4).

Lots of threads about it on the Vortex, you'll need some great suspension to accomodate the extra couple hundred pounds your car will gain in the front over the stock engine, along with sway bars and such, to reduce the inherent understeer you'll experience. 5-8 years ago this was a $5-7k swap, should be less now since the motors are even older now, but still around there most liklely, as its gonna be labor/electrical screwing around that will eat most of your funds, and its become less and less common of a swap since the cars are getting older.

Hope this helps some.

Ben

btimbit
10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
VWvortex has some good info, but beware, most of the people their are idiots. I just read, rather than post. Most people there are from the northeastern US, Jersey, Pennsylvania, that sort of thing.

Some very good local Calgary and area forums;

www.eurodrivers.ca

www.clubveedub.ca

There are lots and lots of types of VR6 engine, but the main ones you'll find in North America are the 2.8 12v, 24v, and also the 3.2 24v. Main difference between them, (other than one having twice the valves) is that the 24v's head was developed by Cosworth engineering which really opened up it's lungs. 2.8 24v came to North America halfway through 2002, the 3.2 is found in early V6 Touraeg's, Audi TT's and A3's as well as the R32 GTI's (both gens).

2.8 12v- 180hp
2.8 24v- 200hp
3.2 24v- 240hp

The 12v's, being the oldest design, are the most unreliable. They're not bad, certainly not as big of a nightmare as VAG turbo engines, but just watch the timing chains. A 3.2 would be pretty hard to find. Find a 24v if you can, otherwise a 12v is still a damn good motor.

As for shops, George at Tunedub is definitely your best option. He's booking 2 weeks in advance at the moment, but always makes time to answer questions and whatnot. Knowing such an honest and hardworking mechanic is what's making it so hard for me to move away from VW's

Sentry
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
I would say those are pretty optimistic numbers... Knock about 20hp off each.

btimbit
10-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I would say those are pretty optimistic numbers... Knock about 20hp off each.

At the crank;)

Also forgot to mention that pre 1999 12v's were a tad slower, 170hp. Jump in torque too, but can't remember the numbers off the top of my head

ekguy
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
i would like to specify i have a mk3 gti. 94. Minty fresh. Only part with rust is the hatch and it's barely noticeable so i'll be hunting for a new hatch come spring time.

Only thing that bugs me is the sunroof sticks but i've already started looking for a whole assembly.

I guess suspension, rims, vr6, new hatch and sunroof and i'll call it a day (hopefully i can stop there lol)

Anyways thanks for all the info. Definitely like the difference in quality going into a gti from an integra.

So much more fun to drive.

Sentry
10-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I've got a 96 mk3 gti... Jetta front swapped, and the sunroof doesn't stick. Let's trade. :P

ekguy
10-25-2011, 10:45 PM
wow wasn't aware the vr swaps were so expensive haha. b series engines were such an attractive option being as you could be on your way for less than 5 g's easily with install and everything.

oh well. doesn't matter, my 2.0 with the chip and cam is plenty of fun for the time being.

ekguy
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I've got a 96 mk3 gti... Jetta front swapped, and the sunroof doesn't stick. Let's trade. :P

no thanks. ;)

Can't believe how much i actually ended up loving this car.

Sentry
10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Me neither. I bought it for 800 bucks expecting a piece of shit with a christmas tree lit up in the console, but it's fun to beat on and it's been reliable over the 10k I've put on it in the last 5 months.

Sentry
10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
It is such a rad little shitbox. :poosie:

http://i.imgur.com/1PZXc.jpg

[/mini-hijack]

ekguy
10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
This is mine.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/IMG_3703.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/IMG_1475.jpg

definitely didn't pay 800$ for mine lol.

Loving every minute of ownership so far.

Got some pretty sick rims coming as well.

Sentry
10-25-2011, 11:04 PM
VWs are my green eggs and ham.

Try them, try them, you will see...

btimbit
10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Pretty slick! What wheels are you getting?

DeeK
10-26-2011, 12:28 AM
You can check www.corrado-club.ca as well... Obviously focused on Corrados. but plenty of good information regarding the VRs. Most parts on VW's are interchangeable across platforms anyways.

Also Ben mentioned above regarding suspension. Of all the coils I have tried for my corrado. I recommend BC Racing coils. Coils made for VW's are expensive and dont perform very well, at least in my experiences. BC has done the best for em yet, unless your pockets are deep.

ekguy
10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Going with fk coils and borbet design a's or type a's whatever they are called. Just need time to go to the shop, been working too much.

16x9 with a really aggressive offset, 'bout three inches of lip. Gonna need to stretch tires, roll fenders and tuck them in with some camber adjustments lol. Gonna look sick though. Hate the four spoke rims i have now...

tirebob
10-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Going with fk coils and borbet design a's or type a's whatever they are called. Just need time to go to the shop, been working too much.

16x9 with a really aggressive offset, 'bout three inches of lip. Gonna need to stretch tires, roll fenders and tuck them in with some camber adjustments lol. Gonna look sick though. Hate the four spoke rims i have now...

Sick set up... I love the type A's! Not going to need as much work as you think getting aggressive with dub fitments... Gotta love it!

This was my MK1 Jetta coupe before I sold it earlier this year... 15x8.0 front ET12 and 15x8.5 rear ET06 with 165/45R15's stretched. Just had to work the rear fender lips a bit. MK1's have less room than yours too!

Have fun man... Rad car!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/31279_10150207389045693_895470692_12893575_7792234_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/31279_10150207389070693_895470692_12893578_827105_a.jpg

ekguy
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Thats a sick car. Actually getting my wheels through gary