PDA

View Full Version : New vans

Maxt
01-25-2004, 09:31 PM
I am contemplating retiring my 300,000 km GM savanna....
Its still reliable and what not, but everything on it is developing momentary glitches, which is just a sign of things to come....
So I have been looking at these

http://www.fleet.daimlerchrysler.ca/CA/04/EN/FLEET/1,,CA-04-EN-FLEET-VEHICLES-DODGE-SPRINTER_CARGO_VAN,.html

Neat concept, especially paying attention to the cargo hold down dilemna... However the power ratings of the I-5 diesel worry me, with the weight of the stuff I carry around, that thing is gonna have trouble accelarating downhill.... But I still want to drive one and see what its like...Being able to stand in the back of a work van is pretty cool, but they have to remember that parkade access needs to be kept as well for a service vehicle...

I am also looking at a new GM van, however they do not list diesel as an option on the new vans, I want a diesel now, since I simply use to much gas to be paying upwards of 80 cents a litre in summer, my busiest time...
The Fords are cheaper for sure, but they are not a popular van in my line of work, they simply don't hold up body wise, the doors wear out and fall off when on service duty..
Anyone have any other options or opinions?...Basicall I need minimum 3/4 ton, diesel, and swing open doors....maxt

CelicaST-162
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I am pretty sure, the current line of vans 1999-present vans come with either the 6.2L or 6.5L turbo diesel...they may have higher kms but you want a diesel...and they last way longer then gasoline. I knowyou dont prefer Ford but the E-350 Vans with the 7.3L powerstroke is plenty more powerful then GM, and more reliable too.

1badPT
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
I dunno. I'd definitely check it out. The power curves might be a bit different from our gasoline engines here in North America, so although the power rating seems low, it might be able to put that power out at lower rpms :dunno: look at the torque :eek: :eek: over 240! You'd probably get decent acceleration and good economy out of it, but I'm just guessing here.

Given that torque, its probably ideal for running goods in and around town, but with that HP, its probably not suited for long hauls (read highway hauling).

1badPT
01-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Let me know what you think of it if you do demo drive it. I'm curious.

Maxt
01-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah I found out that they are in such short supply this model year, its pretty much put the money down, if you even want to get near one, not that the money is a problem, but I don't want to order something that I have never driven.. If its underpowered what will happen when I stick 1800 lbs of mycom 8a in the back..
Kinda leanin toward another Savanna... There's VW vans and stuff, but they don't have the GVWR I need..Maxt

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Its too bad you need it for work, Id suggest a supercharged 5spd previa

1badPT
01-27-2004, 02:31 AM
I wonder who's buying them up, maybe somewhere in the states :dunno: I haven't seen any in the wild yet. I'd say if you got 300,000 work kms out of the savanna, you can't complain with that. But yeah i've wanted to see one of these sprinters ever since they put a picture of it in strada.

sxtasy
01-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Well the 5 spd auto tranny should help out with the lack of power. It is a turbo deisel...I say turn up the boost:thumbsup:

On the other hand, the price of deisel is not too much less than the price of gasoline, plus with deisel you will have a hard time starting on cold nights such as this.

benyl
01-27-2004, 09:15 AM
but a diesel is far more efficient than a gasoline engine... that is why Tractor trailer use diesel rather than gasoline.

Take an F-250 empty with a diesel. It will probably get 20-25 mpg where a similar gasoline will get 15-20.

CelicaST-162
01-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by benyl
but a diesel is far more efficient than a gasoline engine... that is why Tractor trailer use diesel rather than gasoline.

Take an F-250 empty with a diesel. It will probably get 20-25 mpg where a similar gasoline will get 15-20.

:werd: ......Trucks use diesel engines for the outstanding amount of torque and amazingly low rpms and for the high horsepower output, as for the F 250, 350, ram 3500, hence they are heavy duty trucks, they need that extra oomph of torque to get that a trailer or whatnot moving a little faster.

benyl
01-27-2004, 02:37 PM
A better example of diesel efficiency is the VW TDI in it's various forms...

50 mpg! A full tank gets you from Lethbridge to Vancouver... try doing that with Gasoline.

Agreed that Tractor trailers use Diesel for the high torque... but it is also the fuel efficiency.

By the way Maxt, that Dodge is really a Mercedes. They have been using them in Europe for Years. I guess this one of the benefits of the Daimler-Chryler merger for North America.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cvvans/index.html click on sprinter...

Maybe you could mod the van and get the EDM grill!!! :rofl:

If you can read german:

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/tg03/0,3408,C30_3_2ND,00.html

I actually remember driving one of these when I was in Austria... it was pretty gutless.