PDA

View Full Version : Problem with KFC. Suggestions?

rage2
10-26-2011, 12:42 PM
So today I decide to get some KFC hot wings for lunch. As many of you know, the hot wings are kind of an interesting product at KFC. They're not actually hot (as in spicy), they're just normal wings, and the secret to making them so good is the wing's hot sauce packets that you have to ask for.

So off I go to KFC on Edmonton trail to pick up a nice box of 20 delicious wings. I've had a bad experience here before, last time they gave me the Taco Bell Border Sauce instead, which doesn't work with hot wings. So I made sure I asked for the wing sauce. Paid for my meal, and what do you know, fucking Taco Bell sauce again! I asked them to correct it and give me the wing's hot sauce packet. They said they don't have any. WTF? I inquired further and the take out window lady admitted that it wasn't discontinued, it's just that they no longer ordered it because it was cheaper to order just the Border sauce. Seriously, how can they purposely worsen a product that they sell in the name of cost cutting???

So whatever, too late. I'm hungry. Bring her back to the house and here she is. My box of wings.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/8292437f.jpg

Wait a sec... I ordered hot wings didn't I? WTF is this shit???

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/622c9752.jpg

That's right. Wings on the left, drumsticks on the right. I had no idea they changed their product from hot wings to hot random chicken parts. And of course, to rub it in, I got 30 of these little packets.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/64b1ffb8.jpg

Seeing as how gross that sauce was, I decided to try Tabasco instead.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/956963b0.jpg

No good. Nothing like Wing's hot sauce. Let's try mixing the 2...

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/7ab42ff4.jpg

No good. My hot chicken parts taste like a burrito. Really fucking pissed off.

So, does anyone know how I can replicate the sweet taste of wing's hot sauce packets at home? I can't even enjoy these fuckers right now. To top it off, they're not even hot temperature wise, might as well call 'em KFC warm random chicken parts.

Kloubek
10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Too much time... too much time...

sputnik
My wing sauce goes something like this.

Franks + Ketchup + BBQ Sauce + Margarine + 60 seconds in microwave

Generally speaking the amounts are variable to your tastes (some like it hotter while some might like it sweeter) and the margarine is just a tablespoon or so.

Combine in a bowl and nuke until the margarine has melted.

Stir and enjoy.

Thaco
contact their corporate office and bitch, it actually does get results, i bitched one time because it was like $6 for a combo of 1 boneless skinless chicken, then another like $1.50 for the next, and if you want 3 it's another $4 on top of that... total bullshit price structure.

i actually got a call back from the store a few days later.

but being a franchise, they have to do shit a certain way, they can probably get in shit for not having the wing hot sauce.

gretz
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I find Franks redhot to be tasty... mix with a bit of ketchup and pepper... bam, cheap "different" hot sauce

edit > Oh man Sputnik, are there more of us?

rage2
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
So in case KFC corporate finds this thread, it was at store 1750, on Edmonton trail in Calgary.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/49cb2d57.jpg

$18 for this bullshit!

benyl
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
$18 for cold random chicken parts?

I think KFC just pwnd rage2.

88CRX
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Why does that one package of hot sauce say "where are you taking me?"

:dunno:

n1zm0
10-26-2011, 12:56 PM
it's hard to remember what the KFC sweet sauce is like cause i've only tried it once, was it anything like the run of the mill aroy-d sweet chilli thai sauce but hotter and more sour?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/5966571691_89edf2aa0a.jpg

rage2
10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Sputnik, you're a genius!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/2fdd777c.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/ee7df654.jpg

It's no wings hot sauce packets, but its damn tasty! Thanks!

sexualbanana
10-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I use to work in the area and I basically stopped going to that one (no small feat) because it's fucking terrible.

Their Louisiance Hot Sauce (I'm staring at a pack right now) is really tasty. Combining them with Hot Wings is a must, I think. I've substituted it with Frank's Red Hot before. It's not perfect, but it's better than Tobasco.

rage2
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I use to work in the area and I basically stopped going to that one (no small feat) because it's fucking terrible.
Tell me about it. This is only my 2nd time going there and both times have been brutal.

The last time, they fucked me over on the sauce, didn't realize it till I got home, which is why I double checked the sauce. That wasn't the big problem. I ordered in the drive thru, and they told me to park and wait. I got a work call while waiting and was on the phone for 30 mins, no food in sight. Once the call ended, I walked in, and the 2 employees were just hanging out chatting. I asked where the fuck my food was? They laughed and said they forgot. I had to stand there and wait 10 mins for them to cook my order. This was at something like 7 or 8pm at night, where nobody was there but me. Holy fuck was I pissed haha.

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
rage2, have you ever had a real chicken before? or cut up a fresh chicken wing? The "legs" on the right of your photo above are actually part of the wing. :rofl:

as for the hot sauce, that's LAME they gave you taco bell sauce. If it was me, i'd be writing an email to corporate.

i've never had their hot sauce, but i've made buffalo hot sauce many times. it's usually butter and Frank's, sometimes (and most deliciously) with apple cider vinegar and chopped garlic mixed in. :drool:

benyl
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
rage2, have you ever had a real chicken before? or cut up a fresh chicken wing? The "legs" on the right of your photo above are actually part of the wing. :rofl:

I think you need to take an anatomy class.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/USDA_poultry_cuts.png

sputnik
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
$18 for 20 wing pieces?

Make them at home. Sure its not "the same" but good wings are easy to make.

Take the wing pieces lightly toss in flour and seasoning salt mix (tapping off excess flour). Put on cookie sheet (either non-stick or with a sheet of parchment paper) in an oven at 425F (convection roast if you have the setting on your oven).

Bake until browned and a bit crispy.

Eat with sauce.

spikerS
10-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Man you want wings? goto Jamesons on their wing night. $0.25 a wing, and they are pretty fucking tasty. And their hot wings have some good heat to them too!

rage2
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
haha I needed fast food for lunch while working out of the office. Cooking it, or going to Jamesons on wing night wouldn't have solved my problem lol.

bourge73
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
The Cheap Louisiana hot sauce from Super Store with a little melted butter, mix in a big bowl. Good to go.

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by benyl

No, the "1st section - wing drummette" is what rage2 is calling a leg. it looks exactly like a leg, it's just smaller? Or, do you think i'm dumb and they just happen to call it a drummette by coincidence?

HiTempguy1
10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Their Louisiance Hot Sauce (I'm staring at a pack right now) is really tasty.

Just had some the other day. For years, I wouldn't touch KFC, but lately they've been on a real roll!

Merritt
10-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Lol, try McDonalds. They make food without gloves on for you.

JRSC00LUDE
10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh gee, look what I keep in my desk for just such an emergency.....

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/wingshot.jpg

:rofl:

Contingency plans = success Rage. Man up, expect to have to be better prepared than a fry jockey.

codetrap
10-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Franks Sweet Heat. It's great.

civiclvr
10-26-2011, 01:46 PM

"drumsticks" are the drumettes.. not the leg.
Chicken legs that are shaped like the drumette actuall have 2 bones in them

*edited for clarity - added quotations.

phreezee
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, probably just that franchisee was too cheap. I swear I can still get real hot sauce from Crowfoot, Bowness McCleod Trail KFCs.

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr

drumsticks are the drumettes.. not the leg.
Chicken legs that are shaped like the drumette actuall have 2 bones in them

no, the "drumsticks" are a part of the leg, and the "drumettes" are part of the wing. Look at the diagram! I can't beleive how many of you have never bought, cooked, or carved a chicken before! :nut:

sputnik
10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Merritt
Lol, try McDonalds. They make food without gloves on for you.

99% of cooks in kitchens make food without gloves.

I honestly avoid places that use gloves because it usually means that the employees handle both money and food constantly.

You are kidding yourself if you think that gloves are more sanitary.

sexualbanana
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Yeah, probably just that franchisee was too cheap. I swear I can still get real hot sauce from Crowfoot, Bowness McCleod Trail KFCs.

Despite massive waiting times (fortunately without them forgetting), the Riverbend KFC sometimes gives out good handfuls, so I keep the extra laying around.

frozenrice
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
How do the KFC wings compare to Wing Street (Pizza Hut) or the ones from Pizza 73? Usually don't go out of the way to order just wings. We usually only get wings if we order in pizza so don't know what the KFC ones are like.

kenny
10-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

99% of cooks in kitchens make food without gloves.

I honestly avoid places that use gloves because it usually means that the employees handle both money and food constantly.

You are kidding yourself if you think that gloves are more sanitary.

Yup. The gloves aren't to keep the food clean, its so their hands stay clean while handling food, money, cleaning products.

benyl
10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

No, the "1st section - wing drummette" is what rage2 is calling a leg. it looks exactly like a leg, it's just smaller? Or, do you think i'm dumb and they just happen to call it a drummette by coincidence?

My bad... haha

I didn't think you were dumb, but the drummette looks like a drumstick. Then again, that is a really small chicken if the drumstick is the same size as the wings in the picture.

yoda124
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I'll let you guys in on a little secret.Those louisiana hot sauce packets and plum sauce packets are located in the condiments section at 7 eleven.Whenever I find myself low I stop in for a slurpee and grab a whole big handful of both...voila problem solved.

sexualbanana
10-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by yoda124
I'll let you guys in on a little secret.Those louisiana hot sauce packets and plum sauce packets are located in the condiments section at 7 eleven.Whenever I find myself low I stop in for a slurpee and grab a whole big handful of both...voila problem solved.

Child, please. :) I used to have a 7-11 across the street from my work. I think I bought a ham and cheese sandwich one day, accompanied with a handful of hot sauce, once.

The old cafeteria place in Scurfield Hall used to have the same packs too, but then they closed

Disoblige
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Just go buy a bottle of whatever hot sauce they use at Olive Chicken for their Sweet and Spicy chicken.

I tried it last night, and the sauce they use is great!

Korean BBQ chicken FTW, just wish it was as good as in California :(

Deep fried for you on the spot after you order.

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 03:02 PM

My bad... haha

I didn't think you were dumb, but the drummette looks like a drumstick. Then again, that is a really small chicken if the drumstick is the same size as the wings in the picture.

no worries, actually the only reason I know this is that for years, I thought that the ones that looked like legs were just legs from little chickens. I even thought this after I'd been living on my own and cooking chickens for about 10 years.

but then one day I bought a package of fresh chicken wings and saw how the little leg was actually a part of the wing, and then i figured it out. :nut:

Cooked Rice
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Good old No Name brand Louisiana hot sauce does the trick for me.

civiclvr
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM

no, the "drumsticks" are a part of the leg, and the "drumettes" are part of the wing. Look at the diagram! I can't beleive how many of you have never bought, cooked, or carved a chicken before! :nut:

well I missed the quotation marks around drumsticks.
I meant the wings shaped like a "drumstick" are really drumettes.
still fairly clear I thought. And I knew this because we used to raise and butcher our own. That's how I knew about the multiple bones in the real drumstick.

clem24
10-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I like the KFC wings. They're actually quite good with the honey mustard sauce dipping sauce, but they do charge you for it. And the drumstick.. Is the part that attaches from the body of the chicken to the wing. So it's still technically part of the wing. I always thought these were standard fare for "wings". And yes, the KFC Hot Wings are by no means hot.

If you want real hot wings fast, go to Pizza Hut with a Wing Street and order "Traditional Burnin' Hot Wings". 20 will set you back about $16 but they are soooooo fucking good (and hot enough to burn my tongue and 20 is definitely enough to give me ring of fire the next day). The traditional wings aren't breaded like the KFC ones though, so they're not quite as filling. But the breaded and "boneless wings" (essentially a breaded chicken nugget) at Pizza Hut suck shit.

Also, as a trick, know the local phone # of your local Pizza Hut instead of going through 310-1010. Or even better, just order online from your phone 15 minutes before you get there.

DeeK
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Best hot wing sauce I know is
- franks red hot sauce
- parmessan cheese
- white vinegar
- salt

Adjust to taste. It's even better if you bake it on them for a few minutes.

clem24
10-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
Best hot wing sauce I know is
- franks red hot sauce
- parmessan cheese
- white vinegar
- salt

Yeah but Frank's hot sauce isn't even... Hot. I know cause even my wife can eat it.

If you can locate this shit in Calgary:

http://www.mamaafricas.com/

http://www.gostomundo.ch/WebRoot/Gostomundo/Shops/gostomundo/46D7/AF8B/C7BF/04FD/EED3/D43C/E007/D54F/zulu_0020_habanero.jpg

The Peri Peri is also very good on Pizza - extremely flavourful and still VERY hot but 1 notch below the Habanero.

DeeK
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Yeah but Frank's hot sauce isn't even... Hot. I know cause even my wife can eat it.

Agreed.

So let me rephrase, it's a slightly hot, but EXTREMELY tasteful sauce. It tastes like pub hot wings.

Besides, I can't eat hot stuff like I used to. I can handle the heat no problem, but my asshole pays for it for the next 3 days.

Tezzating
10-26-2011, 04:14 PM
I think I'll stop at the wholesale and grab a few Kg of wings on the way home now, this threads making me hungry

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 04:19 PM
well to be fair, the franks is used for the flavor more than the heat. if you want them spicy, you need to add habanero sauce also. but the original anchor bar buffalo wings are franks, butter, and vinegar. (at least according to the joy of cooking, which says the recipe is from Anchor Bar)

ekguy
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
sometimes, on beyond, it's so clearly obvious when some people have too much time on their hands.

It's also one of the things that make it such an enjoyable forum lol.

Gonna try this sauce tonight on some stuffs im cooking up.

Mibz
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Am I the only one who enjoys KFC hot wings without any godamn sauce on them?

turbotrip
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/64138812_wtf_reaction_gif.gif

Originally posted by yoda124

Kardon
10-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I haven't gone to KFC in years :dunno:

K3RMiTdot
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
i loved the kfc hot wings, but fuck their expensive...

ExtraSlow
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
That is the worst KFC in the entire world. I love KFC, and I used to live two blocks from there, but I'd drive to Hunterhorn for my fix.

Guillermo
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I've made them at home using Alton Brown's methods before, which works awesome. basically you steam the wings for 10 minutes first, which gets rid of a lot of the excess grease. then you chill them, then bake them for 40 minutes. they turn out super cripsy and good, just like they're deep fried. :drool:

ekguy
10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
i love kfc. Unfortunately my stomach and digestive track does not lol. Makes me sick 100% of the time.

van
10-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Sputnik, you're a genius!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/2fdd777c.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/ee7df654.jpg

It's no wings hot sauce packets, but its damn tasty! Thanks!

I use this mixture all the time for my golden crispy wings I make at home you're forgetting one important ingredient though...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/sriracha/header.png

flipstah
10-27-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm more of a 'cheesy' guy than a BBQ guy so all this saaaauuuccee taawwwllk made me hungry.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_000818.jpg

My CheesySawce

- Ketchup base
- Cock sauce
- Garlic & Herb cheese (tastes better with bleu cheese but didn't have any)
- Roasted Garlic Mayo
- Chipotle sauce (Mine's legit, smuggled from Mexico!)

Heat for 20 seconds. Dip and eat on!

The cheese adds sharpness after the heat.

hurrdurr
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I make a sauce with the Cock Sauce with seeds, sugar, butter, cayenne, garlic seasoning and vinegar, boil it up and after the wings are cooked, smother over the wings, and bake until you get a bit of a brown on the sauce and it sticks to the wings, its amazing

sputnik
10-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Good for you.

Some of us actually like the taste of chicken wings and aren't interested in just burning our mouths and our colons just to prove how manly we are to you.

Not all wing nights require a "Man vs Food" experience.

wardpr68
10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
If this thread was created by almost anyone other then Rage2... he would be flamed to death for being a fat, lazy, whiny complaining bitch. But since it's Rage2, let's let it slide. Brown nosers.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
First rule of businees, don't piss off the boss if you don't have to.

clem24
10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Some of us actually like the taste of chicken wings and aren't interested in just burning our mouths and our colons just to prove how manly we are to you.

Nice try but I am most definitely not one of those people who take eating spicy foods to the extreme. I like spicy food I can stomach, not ones that make it churn, as I have pointed out in this thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310392&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3). I also like shit that tastes good with good flavour. Having said that, when I want hot wings, I do want "hot" wings. Otherwise I'd just order honey garlic or teriyaki.

badatusrnames
10-29-2011, 04:27 PM
I've grown up in the area, and that KFC has always sucked balls.

Shitty/slow service, inconsistent quality, I don't even bother anymore (not that I went that often anyways).

One time in the drive through, I was waiting ten minutes to let them take my order, this is after twice reminding them I was there over the intercom, and them twice asking me to wait just a minute, I backed out of the drive through and went to Brentwood to get my fix.

DboyNismo
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
wow when i looked at the title of the thread i totally didnt expect Kentucky Fried Chicken. i thought OP was talking about kissing, fucking, then chucking. :facepalm:

lol i feel like an idiot now...:nut:

Kobe
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
People still eat this shit? How has it not gone under yet?

CMW403
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

Cause people still eat it.

sputnik
10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

Wah wah wah.

Live a little.

An occasional bit of fried chicken isn't going to kill you and if you stay away from the fries and gravy, it can actually be a pretty good meal.

I would venture to say that having KFC is better for you than most fast food or pizza joints. Not only are you getting real chicken that hasn't been pushed through a machine and shaped, you are getting something that actually tastes good and I have always found the chicken to be quite juicy.

I don't get the misdirected hate for KFC.

dirtsniffer
10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
I prefer COTW.. fuck that's good chicken

sputnik
10-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I prefer COTW.. fuck that's good chicken

COTW makes good chicken.

But every time I have it, I miss the neon-green KFC coleslaw.

heavyfuel
10-31-2011, 09:01 AM
IMO KFC swimming in gravy is right up there with Mcdonald's as far as hangover food goes.

sexualbanana
10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I keep tweeting about trying to bring extra crispy back to Canada, but not getting any traction. haha

clem24
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Yummy....

Although what's kind of stupid is their so called "Toonie Tuesdays", which are no longer really Toonie Tuesday. More like Toonie plus a Loonie and more if you want gravy (which I think is a MUST for KFC).

Question: is KFC chicken still fried? Whenever I am at KFC, I don't hear the sizzling of chicken, and I always see them arrange the chicken pieces on a tray. Almost seems like they are preparing to bake them (and eating it, it doesn't have the crispy texture that is COTW). The other thing I don't like is their holding bin... I like piping hot/dripping lard/fresh from the deep fryer a la COTW....

msommers
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
M&M wings are pretty decent actually. Take out of box and throw in oven. Done.

ExtraSlow
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
If you're looking to make at home (like M&M) I am addicted to the tandoori wings from Mann Bros meats in the NE.

Every once in a while, I get out there and buy 10-15 pounds of them. They are already marinated, so delicious just baked in the oven.

sputnik
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Question: is KFC chicken still fried? Whenever I am at KFC, I don't hear the sizzling of chicken, and I always see them arrange the chicken pieces on a tray. Almost seems like they are preparing to bake them (and eating it, it doesn't have the crispy texture that is COTW). The other thing I don't like is their holding bin... I like piping hot/dripping lard/fresh from the deep fryer a la COTW....

KFC chicken is (and always was) fried in a pressure cooker. Colonel Sanders perfected the technique himself.

So you will never hear any chicken sizzling.

That said, their chicken strips and french fries are fried in an open deep fryer.

LollerBrader
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2
might as well call 'em KFC warm random chicken parts.

Sounds appropriate for the price point.