PDA

View Full Version : New Grad - Masters Economics

Superdooper
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi what should a new grad with a masters degree in economics and a few o&g summer terms expect in terms of a base salary from a big oil and gas company in finance (ie. Shell)? Is 60-70k okay or above average?

Thanks

sabad66
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I would say 70k to start with a masters in economics at one of the supermajors. If it was a masters in engineering or geoscience, probably 75.

Manhattan
10-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Curious what kinda jobs are available for someone with a masters of economics?

themack89
10-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Prime Minister of Canada

KRyn
10-27-2011, 07:26 AM
A very good friend of mine got offered just shy of $100,000.00 starting before leaving to do her masters in economics by a large oil and gas company. Although she is doing her masters program at the UofT and is incredibly bright.

themack89
10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
A very good friend of mine got offered just shy of $100,000.00 starting before leaving to do her masters in economics by a large oil and gas company. Although she is doing her masters program at the UofT and is incredibly bright.

What was the job for? That high for an entry level salary I'm almost sure it would be the trading desk lol.

Thomas Gabriel
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
It's unlikely you will be hired at Shell with a masters in anything. They don't like paying people for education that they won't need. And they don't want to insult you by paying you the same as any commerce grad. I'd look into a smaller company like Suncor or Talisman that will have econ teams in Calgary and don't have as standardized of a hiring process as Shell. Look for job postings that ask for a Finance MBA and pitch the MA Econ. CFA Level 1 would help if you want to do finance rather than econ.

M.alex
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan

OWS Protester?

Superdooper
10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
It's unlikely you will be hired at Shell with a masters in anything. They don't like paying people for education that they won't need. And they don't want to insult you by paying you the same as any commerce grad. I'd look into a smaller company like Suncor or Talisman that will have econ teams in Calgary and don't have as standardized of a hiring process as Shell. Look for job postings that ask for a Finance MBA and pitch the MA Econ. CFA Level 1 would help if you want to do finance rather than econ.

I have already been hired, I just wanted to confirm if the salary was a competitive entry level salary. In this day and age, I should just be happy to get a foot in the door :)

Maybelater
10-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Economics might seem like a typical useless LA degree, but from what I have gathered it is a pretty useful degree in the business world.

badatusrnames
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
I would say 70k to start with a masters in economics at one of the supermajors. If it was a masters in engineering or geoscience, probably 75.

More like a B.Sc. in Engineering or Geology.

KappaSigma
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
Economics might seem like a typical useless LA degree, but from what I have gathered it is a pretty useful degree in the business world.

Ive heard and seen otherwise. Economics is a useless degree.

sabad66
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

More like a B.Sc. in Engineering or Geology.
Really, new grad engg/geos are making 75 out the door in Calgary at the supermajors? Base salary?

dirtsniffer
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
it's base salary for my company.. too bad I'm still an intern. :nut:

sabad66
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes but you're working on site, right? Definitely expect a premium for that. I'm sure new grads in Fort Mac are in the 80s.

badatusrnames
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Really, new grad engg/geos are making 75 out the door in Calgary at the supermajors? Base salary?

Not Supermajors, any Oil & Gas company really. That's market rate.

Source: My paycheck. I work downtown.

dirtsniffer
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
count mining in as well. small town life, big city paychecks :D

sabad66
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Hmm interesting - I guess it varies quite a bit. 75 base is definitely on the higher end.

Mar
10-27-2011, 08:54 PM
How did you get a job straight out? My girlfriend graduated top of her class at University Of Calgary with a Masters in Economics and works at the bank doing loans. She's been looking for an oil and gas job for months. I'm guessing having Zhang as a last name doesn't increase your odds of getting hired too well.

KRyn
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mar
How did you get a job straight out? My girlfriend graduated top of her class at University Of Calgary with a Masters in Economics and works at the bank doing loans. She's been looking for an oil and gas job for months. I'm guessing having Zhang as a last name doesn't increase your odds of getting hired too well.

O&G is all about who you know, what you know happens to be a bonus.

realazy
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes but you're working on site, right? Definitely expect a premium for that. I'm sure new grads in Fort Mac are in the 80s.

People with location bonus almost clear 100k off the bat. Usually it's 20-25% bonus on top of the base salary.

KRyn
10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by themack89

What was the job for? That high for an entry level salary I'm almost sure it would be the trading desk lol.

She was forecasting for a major O&G company before she left to the UofT. They attempted to make her an offer she couldn't refuse i.e 100k++ in hopes of her returning after completing her school at the UofT.