PDA

View Full Version : Red Light Camera in Calgary

SilverRex
10-27-2011, 07:19 AM
My friend who lives out in BC recently visited Calgary a few weeks back, upon returning west he found out he got a speeding ticket from those red light cameras,

He ask me if there is a way to fight it since he said in BC, no such camera exist at intersections. So he recalls trying to beat the red light when it turn yellow but I guess he sped up to 80 in a 60 zone intersection. Not knowing Alberta traffic laws, can this be debated.

Does anyone know any information as to how to get around this?

perhaps if he simply ignore the ticket since he is out of province, nothing gets done? I know if your a foreign visitor and had a speeding ticket during your car rental, the rental agency would simply tell you to ignore them.

cancer man
10-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Flame suit on?

Modelexis
10-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Out of province licence plates that go through red light cameras should be automatically thrown out.

That ticket should never have been mailed out.

I had Sask plates in MB and went through red light cameras all the time speeding on purpose and never got a ticket.

Unless the rules have changed.

But I can forward an email to you, Dennis @ fight that ticket has a special on right now where he will fight one free red light camera ticket for you.

Let me know.

gretz
10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
. Not knowing Alberta traffic laws, can this be debated.

>> Terrible excuse lol "officer, I didn't know .38 was considered drunk driving in alberta..."

Does anyone know any information as to how to get around this?

>> Around what? paying the ticket?

perhaps if he simply ignore the ticket since he is out of province, nothing gets done? I know if your a foreign visitor and had a speeding ticket during your car rental, the rental agency would simply tell you to ignore them.

It will go into collections...

Feruk
10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by gretz

It will go into collections...
No it won't. He'll be convicted, warrant issued, and IF he gets pulled over again in Alberta he might get arrested. He'd be released immediately after paying ticket. Why would the cops ever send it to collections? They're not some shitty parking lot. They'll just wait and "collect" him themselves...

Modelexis
10-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
No it won't. He'll be convicted, warrant issued, and IF he gets pulled over again in Alberta he might get arrested. He'd be released immediately after paying ticket. Why would the cops ever send it to collections? They're not some shitty parking lot. They'll just wait and "collect" him themselves...

Did you not read the part about him not living in Alberta?

clem24
10-27-2011, 09:10 AM
LOL Wut... Isn't a ticket a ticket, regardless of how it was issued? So your buddy admits totally guilt, but doesn't want to pay it? He's lucky he didn't get 2 tickets, one for speeding, the other for running a red light.

frizzlefry
10-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Wait, the ticket going to collections I can understand but they can't issue a warrant as the photo cannot prove who was actually driving and commited the offense...right? They don't count for demerits so I don't think they can issue a warrant.

Toma
10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Fight every ticket!

THe red light cams don't "arm" until the light has been red for a period of time, someone told me 1.5 seconds.

Modelexis, that is pretty cool of someone is fighting these tickets. Is he winning? What's his angle of defense?

Modelexis
10-27-2011, 09:38 AM
I honestly don't know the angle or methods, but I can only assume he goes in with a stack of tickets and shows a passive threat to waste the courts time several fold if the tickets are upheld. He pretty much has a system worked out wherein the crown recognizes his authority and will toss out the tickets in favor of saving court costs.

JustGo
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Last time I checked, speeding up for a yellow light isn't just an 'Alberta' traffic law. It's stupidity.

gretz
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM

No it won't.

lol... yes it will > when I was younger I got a ticket going through Manitoba - crumpled it up etc...

It went to collections... Who then contacted me and I had to pay it...

themack89
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
"According to my judgement, as a fully licensed Alberta Driver of x years, it was too dangerous to attempt to slow down and stop for an impending red light."

Would that work? :dunno:

triplep
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
It used to be that between BC and Alberta that if you got a ticket in one province and lived in the other you didn't have to worry about it. But that changed, and yes you do have to pay it.

I know they had those speed on red in edmonton too, but one guy proved that it was impossible that he was going 140km/hr through it, turns out they cameras weren't calibrated properly, and I believe they ended up return over 1.4 mill in speed on red tickets.

At least it isn't a ticket from BC, the horror stories I have heard from people in bc getting a ticket, and then icbc withhold their insurance until they pay their ticket!

CompletelyNumb
10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I know if your a foreign visitor and had a speeding ticket during your car rental, the rental agency would simply tell you to ignore them.

Tell that to the Australian government, who issued me a photo radar ticket while I was driving a rental car. I received it in the mail about 6 months later. In Canada. And yes I had to pay it to go back.

J-hop
10-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Did you not read the part about him not living in Alberta?

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that if someone is from out of province it exempts them from following AB traffic laws?

Not knowing Alberta traffic laws, can this be debated.

So you are saying your buddy didn't know that it is a law in AB that you aren't allowed to speed?? Pretty sure that is a law in BC to :D . The fact that he didn't know he could get caught like that doesn't excuse him from recieving punishment for the offense

I know if your a foreign visitor and had a speeding ticket during your car rental, the rental agency would simply tell you to ignore them.

Where did you hear that, that is completely false, I worked for a rental co and all speeding tickets were charged to the person's credit card regardless of their place of origin. Again being an "out of towner" doesn't exempt you from following the law. As a courtesy we would inform them that Calgary has speed on green and red light cameras but would also follow that statement with another regarding them being accountable for any tickets incurred while the vehicle was in their possession.

lasimmon
10-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Can't plead ignorant if you break a law you don't know existed

charlie2
10-28-2011, 01:14 AM
2 options:

Pay it now

Pay it later

If you just forget about it, the ticket will go to court on the docket day, he won't be there and he will be convicted in absence. Since he is out of province it will go to collections eventually and they will hunt him down. NO warrant will be issued as the identity of the driver cannot be confirmed through photo tickets. If he had an AB Drivers licence at anytime in his life it will most likely be attached to that as well in case he moves back.

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Just out of curiosity, are you saying that if someone is from out of province it exempts them from following AB traffic laws?

Obviously not, but in the case of red light or speed cameras, yes they are.

My point was that they will not issue a warrant for your arrest based on a camera ticket.

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by charlie2
2 options:

Pay it now

Pay it later

2 more options sheep don't know about:

Get a ticket fighter to fight it for you and waste the courts time and money until they cave and drop the fine.

Fight it yourself and waste the courts time and money again since as a Canadian you have full rights to a fair trial.

Although I always thought you had a right to face your accuser, but I doubt the camera will show up in court to speak on the behalf of the accuser in this case.

J-hop
10-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Obviously not, but in the case of red light or speed cameras, yes they are.

I guess I'm confused, I've never heard of out of province people being exempt from speeding tickets. As mentioned at the rental company I worked for we would inform out of town people of the cameras but they were still responsible for paying them. I would like to see in the traffic act where it states out of province plates = don't have to pay tickets

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM

I guess I'm confused, I've never heard of out of province people being exempt from speeding tickets. As mentioned at the rental company I worked for we would inform out of town people of the cameras but they were still responsible for paying them. I would like to see in the traffic act where it states out of province plates = don't have to pay tickets

Not "speeding tickets", camera tickets, and only with out of province licence plates.

This is a quote on the issue from someone with experience in this, not sure where to look up the official info:

Some provinces can not bill out of province residents. To anyone from Nova Scotia wondering about Alberta photo radar/red light cameras.....Nova Soctia does not have a legal provincial agreement with AB to have there residents billed for any type of photo offence with registered tag on any vehicle of NS. This I know for a fact, even if you call AB photo office they tell you they do but I have proven this to be false. I spent the last 7 months in AB and 7 months last year (returning to NS for the winters) with my NS registered vehicle and delibrately triggered photo speed cameras fixed and mobile ones. I won't say how many but I will say I know for sure my tag was photo'd. To date I have never received a ticket for these.

J-hop
10-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Well as per the above I think the fact that the OP's friend actually received the speeding ticket in the mail means that AB/BC do have the mentioned agreement.

lilmira
10-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Why don't your friend go to a registry in BC and ask them to see if there is any unpaid ticket on file?

frizzlefry
10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Well as per the above I think the fact that the OP's friend actually received the speeding ticket in the mail means that AB/BC do have the mentioned agreement.

I got a real (pulled over) speeding ticket in BC once, never showed on my Alberta drivers abstract...that was about 3 years ago.

gretz
10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

I got a real (pulled over) speeding ticket in BC once, never showed on my Alberta drivers abstract...that was about 3 years ago.

Because you haven't paid it yet... Chances are, it's in collections

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 09:01 AM

You might be right about that. If it was me, I would challenge the ticket.

clem24
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM

You might be right about that. If it was me, I would challenge the ticket.

And I would point CPS straight to this thread. I love how my tax dollars are being put to such good use after someone blatantly admits guilt.

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by clem24
And I would point CPS straight to this thread. I love how my tax dollars are being put to such good use after someone blatantly admits guilt.

Stop pretending that you have any say or influence in how your tax dollars are spent. Your statement falsely implies that your tax dollars are otherwise put to good use.
Everyone has a right to challenge a ticket whether they are guilty or not. What if it turns out that the camera wasn't calibrated properly that day or there is missing records of it's calibration, you are guilty, but yet you will be relieved of the charge because of a little thing called justice.

JfuckinC
10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
i got a ticket in BC coming home from houseboating one year, it went to collection cause i didn't pay it.

Why not just pay up and move along? i dont even understand why people waste time fighting most tickets...

Toma
10-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
i got a ticket in BC coming home from houseboating one year, it went to collection cause i didn't pay it.

Why not just pay up and move along? i dont even understand why people waste time fighting most tickets...
Principle??

:dunno:

FIGHT EVERY TICKET.

Toma
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Stop pretending that you have any say or influence in how your tax dollars are spent. Your statement falsely implies that your tax dollars are otherwise put to good use.
Everyone has a right to challenge a ticket whether they are guilty or not. What if it turns out that the camera wasn't calibrated properly that day or there is missing records of it's calibration, you are guilty, but yet you will be relieved of the charge because of a little thing called justice.
To me it's more than that.

Traffic "safety" laws and propaganda sold to us and bought by the braindead as "safety".

In fact, most our traffic "laws" are nothing more than their attempt to legalize theft.

FraserB
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Its probably not worth it for the OP's friend to drive back to Alberta to fight a $140 ticket. It wasn't a red light ticket he got, if you read the OP it was a speed ticket.

Mar
10-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I got a speeding ticket in Manitoba, I ignored it and it went to a collection company. Then I ignored them and it went away.

JustGo
10-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I can't even count the number of times I've been to an accident scene where someone tried to 'beat the yellow' and hit a car trying to legally clear the intersection.

Hitting the gas instead of the brakes for a yellow light is simply retarded. No other way around it.

If you can't make it through safely at your maintained speed, you should stop. Not worth it just to make it to the next red light 30 seconds faster.

JustGo
10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I got a speeding ticket in Manitoba, I ignored it and it went to a collection company. Then I ignored them and it went away.
I had the same experience with a BC ticket back when I was about 18 or so... The collections people called me about 10 times for about a 90 dollar fine... then they just gave up and I haven't heard anything since. That was 10+ years ago... I think BC/AB have come to a new agreement since then... I'm not 100% sure though.

Modelexis
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JustGo
I had the same experience with a BC ticket back when I was about 18 or so... The collections people called me about 10 times for about a 90 dollar fine... then they just gave up and I haven't heard anything since. That was 10+ years ago... I think BC/AB have come to a new agreement since then... I'm not 100% sure though.

Your age suddenly makes sense of a lot of your posts and your online demeanor.

J-hop
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Doesn't this affect your credit though? Why eff with your credit over a few hundred dollars?

cancer man
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Go fight it for your buddy he does'nt have to appear.