PDA

View Full Version : Tea & Coffee

themack89
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Discuss Tea & Coffee habits; hidden treasures and brewing techniques etc.

I've recently developed a thing for Peppermint and Camomile (no brand in particular). I've been having a cup of each everyday and I dunno I just feel a bit better about myself.

Aside from that I've also started drinking something called a Red Eye w/ extra shot from Starbucks. It's just Coffee mixed with 2 shots of espresso, I leave room for cream and ad 2 sugars not to sweeten it out, but it more or less tones down the bitterness and what's left is a beautiful coffee flavor.

What do you folks drink, and do you make it at home using a special system?

civic_stylez
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Teaopia's Goji Berry Green tea... and i steep the shit out of it even though youre not supposed to according to them. First thing in the morning... makes my day.

If im doing the starbucks gig, Skinny Vanilla latte with a ton of cinnamon. Its sounds queer as hell ordering it but man are they addicting.

RY213
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
My favorite coffee places are Cafe Beano and Kawa. I usually just get an Americano, but Kawa has this specialty coffee called Cafe Niko that is amazing! It is basically a small latte with orange and hazelnut flavors with an orange zest on top.
For a hidden gem check out Weeds Cafe on 20th ave nw. They brew 49th Parallel coffee from Vancouver.
When I make coffee at home I use Intelligentsia beans and brew in a french press...

Euro_Trash
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by themack89

Aside from that I've also started drinking something called a Red Eye w/ extra shot from Starbucks. It's just Coffee mixed with 2 shots of espresso, I leave room for cream and ad 2 sugars not to sweeten it out, but it more or less tones down the bitterness and what's left is a beautiful coffee flavor.

That sounds amazing. I drink way too much coffee:
1 cup while waiting for the wife to get ready for work
1 to-go cup on the way to work
2-3 cups of shitty work coffee
Then switch to shitty work tea
Couple times a week throw a Starbucks or Good Earth Americano in there

At home I have a coffee make and an espresso maker, but I rarely use the espresso maker unless it is the weekend.

wintonyk
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
David's Tea, they have a retarded collection of teas. I find they are more fresh than teopia. I am drinking a pumpkin chai black tea right now. Mostly just greens for me. Probably 4 cups of tea per day.

jowat
10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
2 Coffee mugs to go from home in the morning...I use a french press with Ethical Beans from Costco. I tried a few different Star bucks and all the Kicking Horse beans-nothing satisfies me as much as the Ethical Beans. Love em! Treat myself once a week to an extra carmel caramel macchiato from Starbucks...mmm :)

Guillermo
10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
I switched from coffee to tea a couple of years. I drank far too much coffee, and ultimately realized that it was the down from the caffeine that was making me tired every afternoon around 2-3 pm. tea is perfect for me cause it still has a bit of caffeine, but not nearly as much as coffee.

anyhow, my current favorite tea is Tazo Awake (red package). it's seriously the best black tea i've EVER had. it's way more expensive than the other packaged teas at the supermarket, but it's well worth it... and, it's still way cheaper than buying coffee/tea. A box of 20 packets is like $6, which would buy you maybe 2 coffees at starbucks.

DGill
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Not a big fan of starbucks, I really like tim hortons coffee though, and their french vanilla is good to have once in a while as well.

jwslam
10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DGill
Not a big fan of starbucks, I really like tim hortons coffee though, and their french vanilla is good to have once in a while as well.

Tim's Half French van half coffee
Or half eng toffee half coffee.
Perfect.

DGill
10-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Tim's Half French van half coffee
Or half eng toffee half coffee.
Perfect.
Never tried that, I will next time I go

Nitzer5
10-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Mateccino and chocolate orange pu-erh from teaopia mixed with almond milk mmmmmm delicious. Right temperature is key for making loose leaf tea, can't stand to see wonderful white tea wasted when people just pour boiling water in it and let it oversteep :banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm obsessed with black coffee, which means I DESPISE Tim Hortons and Starbucks black coffee. A Tim's with milk/sugar is a treat, though. There's something about it. I don't like flavored coffees at all, they taste artificial and give me a headache.

I love Kona 100% peaberry, Kicking Horse, and anything else out of the ordinary. President's Choice gourmet is actually shockingly good coffee, and I know some restaurants that use it because the customers liked it more than higher end stuff haha.

I'm also a huge loose leaf tea fan and I've got one of these bad boys on the way:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ku578QnI4xI/ThC6HA5iKAI/AAAAAAAAADM/PPsaBpq01TE/s1600/Breville+One-Touch+Tea+Maker.jpg

Mibz
10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TZmfi.jpg

flipstah
10-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm naturally a tea freak but my quest in getting a Starbucks Gold Card helped me develop a taste for coffee; mocha, espresso's, etc.

However, I am a fan of ginger tea and the usual tea flavors (chai, matcha, jasmine, etc.)

Best instant tea I've tasted though are:

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/sites/default/files/styles/glamour/public/herb_v2_CS_3DBox_BengalSpice_0111.png

And Mother Nature's homemade roofie:
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/sites/default/files/styles/glamour/public/wellness_v2_CS_STE_Dramatic.png

davidI
10-28-2011, 07:23 PM
That Bengal Spice is great!

Maxt
10-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Swiss Chalet has the best damn coffee...I don't care for the food really at all, just go for the beans..

Unknown303
10-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm obsessed with black coffee, which means I DESPISE Tim Hortons and Starbucks black coffee. A Tim's with milk/sugar is a treat, though. There's something about it. I don't like flavored coffees at all, they taste artificial and give me a headache.

I love Kona 100% peaberry, Kicking Horse, and anything else out of the ordinary. President's Choice gourmet is actually shockingly good coffee, and I know some restaurants that use it because the customers liked it more than higher end stuff haha.

I'm a black coffee nut as well. Find Kicking Horse is really good, but have had a few bad batches over the last little while. I think I'm going to order an Aeropress, they sound interesting and I like to at least have once decent cup before I rot by guts out with shop coffee.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

http://www.chugginmccoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/aero_press_03.gif

Ukyo8
10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Aladdin Turkish coffee, just throw a heaping spoon in a cup, fill 3/4 with boiling water, stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes to let the "mud" settle on the bottom.

It'll grow hair on your chest :D

msommers
10-29-2011, 09:16 AM
The beans they sell at The Summit Cafe in Canmore are friggin awesome and locally roasted. Worth the drive. Their food is delicious as well!

Interestingly, the espresso I had at Teatro was better than anything I remember in Europe. Was really impressed and curious what they use.

mazda_maniac
10-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Teopia cactus fig green tea; let the boiling water cool for 5 min and steep for 5! So good.

Kicking horse coffee grinder coarse and pressed.

As for Starbucks I thoroughly enjoy Chamomile tea latte, and pumpkin spice Chai tea latte(two pumps of each made with water not espresso; original item is pumpkin spice latte)

Vagabond142
10-29-2011, 11:59 AM
My biggest treat to myself is a tin of Fortnum & Mason classic earl grey. It's a treat because once you add shipping and food duty (UK export) it's almost $60 for a 250g loose leaf tin o_O!!! Sooooo worth it though, as a treat. A dollop of milk and a sprinkle of sugar, and I am in heaven.

This stuff: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/p-5188-earl-grey-tea-black-tea-aromatic-tea.aspx

I have a teamaker that automatically brews really well, and I use it for all my other teas, but with F&M, I use a teaball with a very fine mesh. It needs to steep perfectly, and I don't want other flavors to impact it, it's that good! Also, Earl Grey is best made with near-boiling water... ie, when the kettle is JUST starting to boil, turn it off, then pour. Rolling boiling water on Earl Grey kills off some of the citrus flavor :(

themack89
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread... I'm tempted to go out and try all of these things when I should be studying or something. :poosie:

Mckenzie
11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
The best coffee bean for me is the pure Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain from the dude in Eau Claire. Its more of a treat though as it is super pricey. I french press everything at home and drink it straight black as it is naturally sweet with those beans. I don't drink that stuff regularly thought as $5 a cup is pricey.

I think the best Americano's in the city can be had at The Roasterie, Beano, Artigiano or Bumpy's. Higher Ground has terrible coffee I have found.

For Tea, Oolong has great loose leaf- Lemon Drop Rooibos, Creativity, Secret Garden and Green Dragon.

Neil4Speed
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
My biggest treat to myself is a tin of Fortnum & Mason classic earl grey. It's a treat because once you add shipping and food duty (UK export) it's almost $60 for a 250g loose leaf tin o_O!!! Sooooo worth it though, as a treat. A dollop of milk and a sprinkle of sugar, and I am in heaven.

This stuff: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/p-5188-earl-grey-tea-black-tea-aromatic-tea.aspx

I have a teamaker that automatically brews really well, and I use it for all my other teas, but with F&M, I use a teaball with a very fine mesh. It needs to steep perfectly, and I don't want other flavors to impact it, it's that good! Also, Earl Grey is best made with near-boiling water... ie, when the kettle is JUST starting to boil, turn it off, then pour. Rolling boiling water on Earl Grey kills off some of the citrus flavor :(

I wish I picked up some of the Fortnum Mason EG, I got a fair bit of Royal Blend black tea, which was also good. I will be sure to pick up a box of EG when I am over in UK next, and one for you as well, as its just of $10 over there. I did get some EG from the cafe in the FM store in Picadilly and it was quite good, they serve it with scones, cream and preserve - pretty awesome. Something to do next time your in London. Fortnum Mason everything is pretty awesome though.

I'm definitely a bit time tea drinker (About 2-6) cups a day. I usually drink Tetley, I find its a consistant strong cup of tea with a great flavour. I add a spoon and a half of sugar and some Milk (3.5% only).

I think most Canadians have got used to drinking Red Rose, which is just abysmal tea in my opinion.

If I'm feeling a bit drowsy and need a pick me up, I will get coffee. But honestly, after trying around, my favorite coffee is McDonalds. I actually really enjoy Nescafe instant as well.

Hakkola
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I get this cardamom coffee from Finland sometimes, but they only sell it during christmas. I'd imagine some east indian places might carry something like it? I've never seen it in Calgary though, anybody know where I can find some?

Abeo
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
My staple coffee is kickinghorse three sisters, black with a bit of sugar... I always have some of that around. I also have a stovetop espresso maker for the weekends. Just picked up a burr coffee grinder, I like it so far. Going to Panama next week, hopefully I can go to a coffee plantation and try the coffee fruit and try some super fresh coffee :D

As for tea, I drink a bunch of twinnings lady gray and blackcurrant, and lots of different samplings of metropolitan teas (monks blend, lady londendary, etc). I enjoy peppermint tea too.

Originally posted by Guillermo
anyhow, my current favorite tea is Tazo Awake (red package).

My work stopped ordering that, and I miss it... what supermarket are you finding it at?

Tomaz
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I hate to say it, I am a timmy's Fan, Double double. I have about 4 per day (used to be 6-8 xl).

As for REAL coffee, Cafe Beano makes a great americano that is very rare for me.

EG6boi
11-12-2011, 12:15 AM
I enjoy McDonald's coffee every morning during school days. Sometimes when I am in the area, I hit up Fratello's for their pick of the weeks.

I like Cafe Beano's vietnamese coffee too. It's amazing. :thumbsup:

snoop101
11-12-2011, 03:40 AM
I drink Celestial Tea and play battlefield 3 :burnout:

BTW you can pick up Celestial tea's for about half the price at walmart. the one in Shawnessy has the teas in the pharmacy section for some reason. They have a lot more types then the coop.