PDA

View Full Version : Paypal

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 11:14 PM
I am new to ebay. Therefore I am new to Paypal. Can you please help me with how it works? What are the possible risks? Thanks.

I know there are some HC ebayers here :)

YCB
01-25-2004, 11:15 PM
i think pay pal is fairly safe, just don't respond to those fake emails they send u

Forcefed
01-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Pay-pal is prolly the most used system to transfer money for goods bought over the net. I've been a user for 4 years and havent had a problem. I mean it has its risks just be smart and you'll be fine

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Well I have a buyer that lives in the States...but it is for a fairly substantial amount of money. (approx 1700USD) Is this worth the risk?? :confused: :dunno:

YCB
01-25-2004, 11:23 PM
a buyer?? buying something from u?

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, she is interested in a purse that I have. If it was for like 60 bucks I wouldn't be as nervous....

Ekliptix
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
I just signed up for using Ebay as well.
I'm waiting to have some funds transfered from my bank account into the Paypal account.

I'll report back when something happens

benyl
01-25-2004, 11:28 PM
well, the risk is that they can say that the product never arrived and paypal will reverse the funds.

Go with Bidpay. They send you a check and the buyer pays the fees. Less risk for you. I don't know if Bidpay works in Canada though.

With bidpay, there is no recourse for the buyer. With paypal, the seller isn't as protected... at least that is my understanding.

illeagle
01-25-2004, 11:29 PM
try other routes.. make sure the money is there before shipping out the goods... can you do that?

i've never had a problem with paypal, i used it twice using my Visa, but not from ebay...

FiveFreshFish
01-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
Well I have a buyer that lives in the States...but it is for a fairly substantial amount of money. (approx 1700USD) Is this worth the risk?? :confused: :dunno:

Normally, the seller won't send the goods until confirmation of receipt of payment. The buyer is the one taking the risk. You just have to make sure you send what you advertised and do it in a timely manner. Shipping insurance is something you should offer, and the buyer should strongly consider it. You'll need to remind the buyer that you are not responsible for any duties crossing the border.

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Hmm...I think the only way I'd do it is through a bankwire...b/c that way I am safe. :dunno:

My mom has me scared now.

YCB
01-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Normally, the seller won't send the goods until confirmation of receipt of payment. The buyer is the one taking the risk. You just have to make sure you send what you advertised and do it in a timely manner. Shipping insurance is something you should offer, and the buyer should strongly consider it. You'll need to remind the buyer that you are not responsible for any duties crossing the border.

yeah.. the buyer has a risk because u will receive the money first, and if u were evil u could jack them.

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by YCB

yeah.. the buyer has a risk because u will receive the money first, and if u were evil u could jack them.

Well we don't have to worry about that. That is wrong. I just don't want to loose any sleep over this! This semester at school is difficult enough!!

YCB
01-25-2004, 11:36 PM
hahaha..

Ekliptix
01-25-2004, 11:38 PM
If you go with ebay sellers that have good ratings, you should be pretty safe.

88CRX
01-25-2004, 11:48 PM
ummm.... why not just get them to mail you a money order :dunno:

i've done a shotload of ebay transactions this way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: works 100% of the time

Weapon_R
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Have the funds travelled via paypal (they will take 4%, so make the buyer pay an additional 4% to cover that if you don't want to lose anything), and ship it via Canadapost Delivery confirmation. That way, you'll have your money (which you can bring to your bank acct for a 50 cent fee), and the buyer can't say that they didn't receive the product.

rc2002
01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Paypal takes something like 5 days to transfer money into your bank account. Once it's in your account then you're safe.

Most people when they sell on ebay will wait until the money is in their account before they ship. You should probably do the same thing.

bol
01-26-2004, 12:18 AM
As a seller you don't have much risk at all. However, for that ammount of money I would request a money order or bank draft. PayPal charges rediculous rates AND has very poor exchange rates.

D'z Nutz
01-26-2004, 12:26 AM
I've used Paypal on numerous occassions and have yet to have any problems. My suggestion for sending out that purse is after you've received the money, insure the package, and have it sent through some courier service with a tracking number so that the buyer can track the location of it through their courier service's webpage. Do whatever you have to do to cover your ass so that there's no argument later on as to whether or not you sent the package. Of course, make sure the buyer pays for that. If they decide they want to cheap out a couple bucks on a purchase already that expensive, that's their problem!

theken
01-26-2004, 02:17 AM
i think it is good i just bought my BOV with it, and my probe model

fast95pony
01-26-2004, 08:23 AM
I made about 15 transactions through Paypal with no problems.
None for $1700 USD purses though....:eek:

Red89GT
01-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I've done many transactions over $1000USD with paypal and never had a problem. I always wait for the money to be in my bank account b4 I ship, and I demand shipping insurance be placed on the item i ship, (its only like 1$ for every $100) I also ship with a company that provieds tracking numbers, fed-ex etc...

sputnik
01-26-2004, 11:26 AM
you will want to make sure that their address is verified... that will ensure that the location that you are shipping the bag to is also the same place that their visa statement goes

or just do a "cash transfer" which is money from their bank account to yours.

benyl
01-26-2004, 11:49 AM
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

turboMiata
01-27-2004, 08:09 PM
For that kind of amount, I would use e-escrow. E-escrow is basically a middleman service. The take the money from the buyer and hold it until the buyer receives the product. Once receipt is confirmed, e-escrow will release the money to the seller.

Basically, this is to protect the buyer, not the seller.