PDA

View Full Version : Have you finished your garage?

Cos
10-28-2011, 04:44 PM
The idea came to me from the triple garage thread. Xtrema made a comment about how well people treat their cars on beyond. How many of you have given their cars a nice home? I know I have.

Cos
10-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Lol.... i forgot the option for 'no' :facepalm:

Can a mod add that?

schocker
10-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Technically yes, mine was drywalled as per code?
Still need to mud and paint it though and install better lighting next spring and coat the floor and maybe cabinets also.

03ozwhip
10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
heat is next year, its all drywalled, not gonna paint it, but i will do floor paint and ill probably do better lighting as well. its a 24x22, so not huge so i gotta keep it conservative as far as space goes.

Mibz
10-28-2011, 05:13 PM
We built and took possession in July of last year.

It's drywalled but not painted, not sure I will paint. I like the "white" to reflect light, no point in painting over it with more white.

I've got a nook for my tools but we need shelving for other crap. Cabinets would be nice but I'm not sure I care that much.

I don't know what I want to do with the floor, if anything, but whatever I decide will be done next year.

Heat will be done this year.

Mine is also 24x22.

project240
10-28-2011, 05:21 PM
We bought our house last year and have a 24x26 attached. I guess it's technically finished; drywalled, radiant heater, 20 fluorescent bulbs.

One thing I wish I had done was paint the walls white before moving all my tools in. Now that everything is in there, I'll never paint them... way too much stuff to move around now.

Euro_Trash
10-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Fully finished - drywalled, painted, storage, lighting, all done.

C_Dave45
10-28-2011, 06:05 PM
I have:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3736329&highlight=porcelain#post3736329

Sugarphreak
10-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Cos
10-28-2011, 06:24 PM
What sort of heat is everyone using? I dont think my garage is big enough for a calcana or anything gas related but I dont want to spend $20.00 a month on electric heat.

I just want to keep it right above freezing. Also the door wont be going up/down much as the summer car will live in there so really only for getting the garbage out.

Sugarphreak
10-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Cos
10-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Pretty sure once I get an insulated door mine will stay above the zero mark with no heater.

Okay mine is insulated and drywalled. I didnt mud/tape it, doing that next year and painting it too. Also planning on doing the floor and adding lights.

Problem is the wife backed our truck into the door so it has a bit of light coming through on one side. Not a huge deal but I am sure that is going to hinder the insulating properties. :facepalm:

NickGT
10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
This is as far as I got. But with plans to move next year I'm not going to put anymore money into it.

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/garage5.jpg

Sugarphreak
10-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Cos
10-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just a standard door or insulated one?

If you are worried about heating costs, spring for the insulated door if you haven't already. Then figure out what your temperature variable is and size your heater accordingly.

Sorry mine is an insulated door. Yeah I will just do that. I was thinking about picking up a basic space heater at CT or Wallyworld with a thermostat on it. Set it at 5 and let it go.

corsvette
10-28-2011, 06:50 PM
24x22 attached. Drywalled and insulated last year. I was thinking about adding heat but even the coldest days last winter the garage was +4, so not really going to bother since this is not my "forever" house. I will be adding some additional lighting and shelving.

Tik-Tok
10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Just like a house, or a car... my garage will never be "finished" :rofl:

I've got a triple car (24'x34'), detached, cinder block, alleyway garage. When we bought the house it was dark and shitty.

Upgrades since I've owned it

- Replaced 2 double fluorescent bulb fixtures with 9 double fluorescent fixtures
- Painted the cinder block walls white/light grey
- Replaced the old crappy house furnace with a MASSIVE shop heater, 150k btu's :rofl: (was only $80 on kijiji)
- 3 new single garage doors (thanks again AndyL)
- installed plywood on the ceiling and painted it white. I may put drywall overtop of it one day and mud it so it looks pretty, but probably not
- ripped out the older than dirt shitty bench, and built a full height corner cabinet, plus a mobile cabinet almost as tall

Things I still want to/have to do

- Replace the entry door
- Replace the single pane glass windows (6 of them in the garage, loses heat like crazy)
- Redo all the electrical
- more importantly RUN 240V POWER to it!
- Hook up air lines along the walls, so I can put the compressor outside (won't be blaring in my ears)
- Refinish the floor, probably end up using levelling cement to fill in the 40 year old ruts, and then use garage tiling on top
- Roof will need replacing probably in 5 years
- Install a hoist

edit: Oh and most important, convince the fucking old geezers in my neighborhood to get the alleyway paved, so I'm not tracking 5 pounds of fucking dirt/rocks into my garage every week.

A petition went around a few years ago, and 85% of the house owners signed. Then the city gave us the estimate about how much our taxes would go up, and another petition went around to stop it. It passed BY ONE FUCKING GOD DAMNED VOTE :whipped:

AndyL
10-28-2011, 06:54 PM
You mean with wives and tool obsessions you can fit a car in your garage?

:rofl:

benyl
10-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't know what I will do with the garage. Maybe tile on the floor? haha

The key things I built into it though are:

Radiant in floor heat
Drains in the floor
Sink
Hot and cold tap (in addition to the sink)

I regret not putting more outlets in the wall.

Mibz
10-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I got hot and cold taps and just use a big bucket for a sink. I thought about drains but just didn't see the value.

Maxt
10-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I started with 24x34 with 8 foot walls.. It was like being in a phone booth so I gave it away on the internet and saved 4000.00 in demolition costs.
I rebuilt , and built the garage I always wanted.
New garage is 30x42 , 20 foot walls, L shaped channel steel mezzanine
T8 lighting above and below mezzanine, T5 in open ceiling area's
Ran all air lines in 1/2" black steel.
120,000 btuh infrared tube heater.
80 amp 208 electrical service
All plugs are 15/20 amp combo's on 20 amp 12 ga circuits, the only way to go with power tools.
4000 lb scissor lift
14,000 lb 4 post lift
Dynojet 224xlc eddy current dyno.

The only thing I really need to add next is a tire changer and balancer to be totally self sufficient. Some nice combo kits out there now for 3000.00. or so.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm running the "undersized" double garage. Was all that fit on my lot (25" width). That is pretty much room for my wifes car plus a lawnmower.

Really liking the sounds of the garages you guys have.

A buddy of mine who lives on a ranch just had one built that was 58' wide and about 40' deep. Good hight too, since they have a couple big 4x4 trucks. Two 19' wide doors, and lots of room to keep ATV, sled, mountain bikes, spare car, lawn tractor, golf clubs, winter wheels etc. So far it's unfinished, but I'm expecting big things.

benyl
10-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I got hot and cold taps and just use a big bucket for a sink. I thought about drains but just didn't see the value.

I guess you haven't been through a winter with your garage yet. Wait until you hit 100% humidity with all the snow melt and no outlet for the water on the floor. You will be using a squidgy and sending it out on your driveway.

Mibz
10-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I guess you haven't been through a winter with your garage yet. Wait until you hit 100% humidity with all the snow melt and no outlet for the water on the floor. You will be using a squidgy and sending it out on your driveway. Bugger.

Cos
10-29-2011, 10:40 AM

I guess you haven't been through a winter with your garage yet. Wait until you hit 100% humidity with all the snow melt and no outlet for the water on the floor. You will be using a squidgy and sending it out on your driveway.

Which will then freeze and cause you to salt the shit out of your driveway causing the concrete to pit once you drive on it.

Mibz...... what would that have cost to do?

benyl
10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Drains were $400 each when building. I am sure it is way more to retrofit.

Mibz
10-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I didn't even look at cost, the builder never brought it up, it was just something I considered and didn't see the need for. Clearly a big mistake, I would've gladly paid that.

Well for the time being I'll hold off on the heater and look at my options.

codetrap
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Cos
What sort of heat is everyone using? I dont think my garage is big enough for a calcana or anything gas related but I dont want to spend $20.00 a month on electric heat.

I just want to keep it right above freezing. Also the door wont be going up/down much as the summer car will live in there so really only for getting the garbage out.

You might find now that with the heat leached from the house it stays right above freezing. Mine does.. it hovers around +1 - +3 most of the winter and I do'n't have any water buildup issues.

My secret? I bang off the mud flaps and leave all that crap on the driveway where I shovel it off, or it melts in the sun. Don't let it get into the garage in the first place.

reiRei
10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
No garage... yet. We have a single car port and a parking pad that can fit quite a few cars on it (we've had up to 8 cars on it). We do have plans to build a Garage in the back yard.. it'll be big enough to park 4 cars in it (2 wide, 2 deep)...I don't know if we're planning on doing heating in the garage, but I'm definitely wanting a lift in it.

Tik-Tok
10-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Drains were $400 each when building. I am sure it is way more to retrofit.

For some reason I thought drains were illegal in garages?

90_Shelby
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I started with 24x34 with 8 foot walls.. It was like being in a phone booth so I gave it away on the internet and saved 4000.00 in demolition costs.
I rebuilt , and built the garage I always wanted.
New garage is 30x42 , 20 foot walls, L shaped channel steel mezzanine
T8 lighting above and below mezzanine, T5 in open ceiling area's
Ran all air lines in 1/2" black steel.
120,000 btuh infrared tube heater.
80 amp 208 electrical service
All plugs are 15/20 amp combo's on 20 amp 12 ga circuits, the only way to go with power tools.
4000 lb scissor lift
14,000 lb 4 post lift
Dynojet 224xlc eddy current dyno.

The only thing I really need to add next is a tire changer and balancer to be totally self sufficient. Some nice combo kits out there now for 3000.00. or so.

:drool:

benyl
10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If they are connected to the storm drain.

To the main house drain, they shouldn't be as I have seen them in many houses.

ecobuilder
11-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The drains should have oil separators in them.

A trench drain just inside the garage door is the way to go.

streethondas
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a hotdawg gas heater in my garage! It works awesome!

malbadon
11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
We were all set to finally build our detached garage this fall but got a big 35k wake-up call... It was a weeeeee bit higher than expected so we are gonna re-circle the wagons in the spring.

98brg2d
11-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I didn't vote because mine is in the process of being finished. I have heat and most of the insulating/drywall done but no lift will be installed.