PDA

View Full Version : Does Milk do a Body Good?

hondatt
01-26-2004, 12:16 AM
I don't wanna make this a really BIG deal. I just wanna know what other people think.

I personally don't like milk. My parents didn't conform to the western ideal of drinking milk and neither do I.

For years, while I was growing up, I've been told from television, education, and everyone that 'milk does a body good'. Does it really?

It is true that there is a lot of calcium for helping bone structure, but there are other supplements that have higher concentrations of calcium besides milk.

Just recently, I've seen an episode of friends when Phoebe was lactating and Joey drank breast milk. The whole episode focused around how freaky it was to drink breast milk.

Well, if human breast milk is pretty gross to drink, then how does it compare to a COW's breast milk?

I thought I'd just say this little thing. This is my opinion about milk and nothing more. Basically, the episode from friends sparked this off.

FiveFreshFish
01-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by hondatt
IWell, if human breast milk is pretty gross to drink, then how does it compare to a COW's breast milk?

We're used to cow's milk being pasteurized, processed and usually served cold. Human breast milk is none of these, and our perception of it is what makes it gross.

Fluidic
01-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Milk is out of evolutionary sinc with the rest of evolution. Don't believe me. Ask any theory related Prof at U of C.

hockeybronx
01-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Milk is extremely good for the body. It contains healthy amounts of calcium, protein, fats (kinds that can be beneficial to the body), and carbohydrates.

Milk is essential for bone growth, development and maintenance. Recieving adequate amounts of milk will actually prevent "adult shrinking" (where you seem to get shorter as you age). It does this by building up strong structure around the bone marrow, and along with exercise will keep bones at their maximum size for years. Milk prevents osteoperosis, the protein goes towards muscle development, the carbs to solid long term energy.

Since milk comes from an animal it also contains many nutrients that are beneficial to your bodies.

Is milk good for you, for shizzo my nizzo. Many nutritionists only drink milk and water in their diets.

Many health powders such as Protein Powders and Creatine include milk powder as part of their ingredients, because it contains pure complexed proteins that Science has trouble doubling.

I'd write more but I'm going to get myself some milk right now.

Gotrek
01-26-2004, 08:00 AM
^^^^^^^^ What he said plus nothing beats Milk on the rocks (milk with ice for those who don't know)

three33
01-26-2004, 12:37 PM
unless your lactose intolerant..then milk is the bad guy:thumbsdow

Gotrek
01-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah and Soy milk definately ain't the Shiz

three33
01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
soy milk sucks too....especially when your allergic to it also

Idratherbsidewayz
01-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Milk is the best thing for you, unless the cow's are fed hormonal shit. This is the case in North America (where making more money for less work and money spent is the way) there are no, or very little organically fed cows. Whatever that cow eats, impacts you as well if you drink its milk. Drink rice milk, its got equivalent calcium, and its not horrible for you. Waaay better than soy, try vanilla 2% rice milk.

sputnik
01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
vanilla rice/soy milk? i would sooner just drink melted vanilla ice cream

i like my milk UNflavoured... something that soy and rice products could NEVER match

ZorroAMG
01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Milk is the bomb diggity of all beverages!!!

ninjak84
01-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Milk is out of evolutionary sinc with the rest of evolution. Don't believe me. Ask any theory related Prof at U of C.

Can someone explain where this comes from?
I'll never stop drinking milk, but I hear this alot and I'm interested in the thinking behind it.

Ajay
01-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Milk is the best drink in the history of drinks.

I could easily pound down a 4L of 2% in a day in a half cause it's that damn good!!

My fave drink by far and it is healthy for you as well.

hinggu
01-26-2004, 03:10 PM
I for one am not a big fan of milk. How can it be so good for us if it wasn't even meant to be for human consumption by nature? It is meant for calves. I don't know, maybe since I don't drink milk, I will find out how it really "does the body good" in the future.

itsnotaDUB
01-26-2004, 03:31 PM
im not a big dfan of milk either.. i get my vitamin C threw OJ

Dave P
01-26-2004, 04:04 PM
I dont mind skim milk every once and a while. but that about it.

I rather just drink watter or beer

benyl
01-26-2004, 04:14 PM
A cup of broccoli contains as much calcium as a cup of milk.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/milk/index2.html

http://www.milksucks.com

I don't drink milk anymore cause I am lactose intollerant and it makes me fart! :D :rofl:

Although Chocolate milk tastes awesome!

three.eighteen.
01-26-2004, 05:14 PM
milk stopped being my friend over the last little while, some days i can get away with a glass or 2 but then it usually causes some bad poopy...but i figure if i keep trying to get my body to accept it, it will again eventually??

three33
01-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i can get away with a glass or 2 but then it usually causes some bad poopy

Dude when your "poopy" is bad from drinking milk that is a sign that you may be lactose intolerant...don't keep drinking it...you will not become immune...you will just get worse....trust me

benyl
01-26-2004, 05:28 PM
milk stopped being my friend over the last little while, some days i can get away with a glass or 2 but then it usually causes some bad poopy...but i figure if i keep trying to get my body to accept it, it will again eventually??

:werd: except for me, I didn't figure out why my stomach hurt until I heard about lactose intolerance... that was when I was 22...

EG STyLeZ
01-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Milk is good. I usually drink 3-4 glasses every day. I mix it with my protein powder after workouts. It just wouldn't taste the same mixed with anything else, like water or something. And what about cereal, you gotta have milk with that!

SoSlowDx
01-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I don't drink milk anymore cause I am lactose intollerant and it makes me fart! :D :rofl:

Although Chocolate milk tastes awesome!

:rofl: :D

GTS Jeff
01-26-2004, 06:02 PM
It is true that there is a lot of calcium for helping bone structure, but there are other supplements that have higher concentrations of calcium besides milk.

Well, if human breast milk is pretty gross to drink, then how does it compare to a COW's breast milk?

for your first statement, well yea ure right, so dont drink milk if u dont feel like. :dunno:

and your second statement is just stupid. cows dont have breasts, they have udders.

Originally posted by hinggu
I for one am not a big fan of milk. How can it be so good for us if it wasn't even meant to be for human consumption by nature? It is meant for calves. I don't know, maybe since I don't drink milk, I will find out how it really "does the body good" in the future.

well thats a dumb statement. berries are meant for bears but humans eat them, grass is meant for cows, but we eat salad. seaweed isnt meant for anything, but we eat sushi. insects are meant for anteaters but some ppl still eat crickets. do u see where im going with this??? food is not "meant" for someone. do u think god, if u believe in god, designed everything for 1 purpose? fuck, if its edible, then u can eat it!! if its edible, nutritious, and widely available, then u SHOULD eat it!!

Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
im not a big dfan of milk either.. i get my vitamin C threw OJ

uhhh thats great. milk doesnt have vitamin c, it has calcium. haha really, wtf man???

this thread and the people who have posted clearly illustrate one thing: people who find milk to be gross are uneducated.

davidI
01-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I try to drink half a gallon a day as a source of protein!

I think I should have a glass right now!

B18C
01-26-2004, 06:04 PM

It might, especially if this occured after you stopped drinking milk for a while and the started again. It will help if you start of with things like cheese and yogurt and slowly add more and more milk into your diet.

And milk is VERY good. Not only does it have tons of calcium, it also has lots of vitamin D that helps you digest it and use it.

hondatt
01-26-2004, 09:59 PM
If the human body wasn't designed to digest milk after 2 or 3 year, why force it? The body is designed to lose the enzyme Lactase.

Did you know there are diseases that are linked to drinking cow's milk? Crohn's disease, Diabetes, allergies, heart disease, breast cancer, prostate cancer, osteoporosis, etc, etc.

Calcium and Vitamin D may be present but there are other proteins that are harmful. Do a search and you'll find that North Americans all have a common disease from people that drink milk vs. people that don't.

angierideswitme
01-26-2004, 10:15 PM
EVERYONE IS LACTOSE INTOLERANT, IT'S JUST HUMANS ARE STUPID AND DON'T REALIZE IT

what I'm getting at is, we are all a little bit lactose intolerant.
all adult animals are can't drink milk, go feed your adult cat some milk and see what happens. Humans just are stupid and keep drinking, so after eons of drinking milk we have developed a tolerance to lactose for longer then we should

sorry gts jeff, but just because you like milk IT DOESN'T means your smart
infact it would be smarter to not drink milk.

although I love the taste and it don't make me sick, so I drink away! i guess I'm dumb

XylathaneGTR
01-26-2004, 10:31 PM
I drink milk quite often.
Milk w/ ice = the NASTIEST THING EVER.
In australlia, thats all they served at resturants in the morning, milk and an ASSLOAD of ice.
fucking nasty.

REFLUX
01-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm lactose intolerant...not milk for me unless I'm feeling constipated...

EG STyLeZ
01-26-2004, 10:47 PM
If the human body wasn't designed to digest milk after 2 or 3 year, why force it? The body is designed to lose the enzyme Lactase.

Did you know there are diseases that are linked to drinking cow's milk? Crohn's disease, Diabetes, allergies, heart disease, breast cancer, prostate cancer, osteoporosis, etc, etc.

Calcium and Vitamin D may be present but there are other proteins that are harmful. Do a search and you'll find that North Americans all have a common disease from people that drink milk vs. people that don't.

Man, studies show there are diseases associated with eating everything. Eating salmon, soy sauce, ice cream, eggs, prepared vegetables, etc. the list goes on. Everything causes cancer :rolleyes:

hondatt
01-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Here are some pros and cons for milk drinking:

Dear Cow lover,

There is no definitive answer to your question -- it depends on who you ask. Here are some of the health pros and cons:

PROS:

Calcium, which is important for healthy bones, is abundant in milk and dairy products. Although it's possible to get ample calcium without milk, it does take some careful planning. Additionally, the calcium in milk is well absorbed by the digestive tract because the vitamin D and lactose found in milk facilitate calcium absorption.
Skim milk and products made from skim milk are very low in fat and cholesterol, and contain a complete source of protein.
Milk is also a good source of phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin D, and riboflavin (a B vitamin).

CONS:

Whole milk, or anything made of whole milk, is high in saturated fat, which can increase cholesterol level.
Milk is a common cause of food allergy (allergy to milk protein).
Many people, especially adults, lack the enzyme to digest lactose (milk sugar). This is called lactose intolerance, which causes bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
Milk (and meat for that matter) may contain the antibiotics given to the animal before slaughter. It has been argued that when humans then eat the dairy or meat products, they absorb the antibiotics, potentially allowing for bacteria harmful to humans to become more resistant to these antibiotics. The consequence is that when antibiotics are prescribed, they may not be as effective at killing the bacteria as they once were.
The Dairy Council has more information on the pros of milk. Alice recommends their booklet called "Newer Knowledge of Milk and Other Fluid Dairy Products." Call 212.764.4060 to request a copy. Another book called, Don't Drink Your Milk, by Frank A. Oski, MD, will give you more information on the other side of the story. Contact Teach Services: Donivan Road, Route 1, Box 182, Brushton, NY 12916, 1992 (9th ed.).

hondatt
01-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

this thread and the people who have posted clearly illustrate one thing: people who find milk to be gross are uneducated.

what kind of education do you have?

B18C
01-26-2004, 11:52 PM

Yes your body loses the majority of it's beta-lactamases by age 2 or 3 but that's because the digestion of lactose is taken over by bacteria that are in your stomach (lactobacillus spp).

I'm not too sure about this. I have just learned about all those diseases (except prostate cancer) and NEVER was milk mentioned as a cause to any of those. If anything is an associated finding more than a cause and effect thing (ie. people that get these diseases also drink milk). You could probably also say that watching tv is linked with those diseases because all those diseases you listed are way more prevalent in westernized countries. That doesn't mean it causes those diseases.

Could this be from the fact that drinking milk is more of a caucasian thing and that most of the diseases you listed have a predominance in caucasians?

5abi
01-27-2004, 12:46 AM
in love with milk

Gwen
01-27-2004, 12:56 AM
milk does my body good
(ooooh my first post.....on such an interesting topic...)

rice_eater
01-27-2004, 03:26 AM

he's right...not sure about the other diseases you named but i have read about milk causing cancer too.

itsnotaDUB
01-27-2004, 03:58 AM

uhhh thats great. milk doesnt have vitamin c, it has calcium. haha really, wtf man???

oops thats what i meant... my bad..

rice_eater
01-27-2004, 11:09 AM
EVERYTHING is bad for us in some ways...i mean even the oxygen in the air that we breathe slowly kills us (and i'm not talking about the polutants in the air) :eek: It's just that some things kills us off faster than others, and well, cancer from milk isn't that common

sputnik
01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ

Everything causes cancer :rolleyes:

Everything causes one type of cancer and cures another... its all about balance

GTS Jeff
01-27-2004, 04:09 PM

what kind of education do you have? the point im trying to make is that most ppl who dont drink milk have dumb reasons such as your ever so lovely attempt at correlating cow milk with human milk. i wasnt saying that im smarter than everyone because i drink milk, there are plenty of ppl smarter than i. but to answer your question, biosci major.

and heres another perfect example of someone who doesnt know how to read and think critically. all uve done is searched shit up on the net without thinking about what ure reading. yes, about 2/3 of adults stop producing lactase (not ALL u morons), but the point of drinking milk is NOT to digest lactose (u can get your carbs elsewhere when u are an adult), but to absorb all the other good shit in it like calcium, vit d, fats, and other good shit.

if u stilll dont get it, heres an example for u. humans lack cellulase to hydrolyze cellulose (plant fiber for u artsy types) yet we still eat fruits and vegetables....why? because even if something isnt digestible it can still be good for you!!!

hjr
01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
all i care about is that Jesus drank milk

Kona9
01-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Holy crap, if people spent as much time researching how to drive properly as they do understanding what milk does to you, we wouldn't need insurance!!!!

Milk is good milk is great,
It all began when my mom would lactate.

I drank it then, I'll drink it now,
from a MILF's boob, or from a cow.

Don't give me that line of how bad it is,
If I die from drinkin' milk it's still the shiz <---last minute rhyme

If you suffer from bad diarhea, or constipate,
it sucks to be you cause milk is great!!!!!!

-kona9-

GTS Jeff
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Holy crap, if people spent as much time researching how to drive properly as they do understanding what milk does to you, we wouldn't need insurance!!!!

Milk is good milk is great,
It all began when my mom would lactate.

I drank it then, I'll drink it now,
from a MILF's boob, or from a cow.

Don't give me that line of how bad it is,
If I die from drinkin' milk it's still the shiz &lt;---last minute rhyme

If you suffer from bad diarhea, or constipate,
it sucks to be you cause milk is great!!!!!!

-kona9- uh oh, here comes shakespeare!! or should i say milk-shakespeare!
(bad jokes are awesome)

Kona9
01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
uh oh, here comes shakespeare!! or should i say milk-shakespeare!
(bad jokes are awesome)
:D

B18C
01-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

he's right...not sure about the other diseases you named but i have read about milk causing cancer too.

Again, I'm pretty sure it is more of a correlation than causal factor. Either way, there are much bigger factors to worry about when it comes to cancer than whether you drink milk or not.

lint
02-09-2004, 11:34 AM
A little off topic here, but...

Milk and Cereal (http://cal.dioxide.net/media/mandc/)

googe
02-10-2004, 10:05 AM
just remember

LAWN DARTS KILL KIDS
http://babiesonline.mysafefamily.com/contentimages/lawndarts.gif

Lawn darts can cause skull punctures and other serious injuries.

* Parents should destroy these banned lawn darts immediately.

* Parents should not give lawn darts away since they may be of harm to others.

say NO to lawn darts

KimberlyTia
02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Did some of you catch that new milk commercial....

Where the mom is telling her son and daughter
to drink their milk ... and the son is like,

Mr ____ doesn't drink milk, he says we don't
need too --

and then they look out the window, and he
waves *HI KIDS* and tries to lift the wheel barrow
of dirt and his arms detach.... :eek:

PRICELESS. :clap:

three.eighteen.
02-21-2004, 06:00 AM
update:

im no longer lactose intolerant, and yes i started having an upset stomach over milk after spending a week working in edmonton drinking nothing but juice and pop...but it did take a while to get over it...and now im going to go have a glass of milk :thumbsup: