PDA

View Full Version : Fixing damage through insurance

da9integ
10-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know I'f an accident will show up on carfax or car proof if the owner does not go through insurance to fix the damage? I'll be purchasing a vehicle and was just wondering about this.

guessboi
10-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Damage will not show if it doesn't go through insurance.

masoncgy
10-29-2011, 02:48 PM
No, and that's why it makes sense to get a thorough inspection done if the car is worth some money.

J-hop
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Above is right. Also make sure it is a decent shop too. I had it done at your average shop and they didn't hilight anything wrong. Had it in at the dealer shortly after for servicing and the tech noted some minor suspension damage on the pass side (unfortunately I was a complete dumbass and didn't really get under the car before I purchased the vehicle since it was in such great shape). The tech also noted there were a lot of none original parts on the passenger side and determined the vehicle had likely been in a collision. But to this other shop everything was apparently AOK.

Hallowed_point
10-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I believe that "technically speaking" if the damage is over a certain amount (a couple k I think) the shop cannot repair without a police sticker on the windshield indicating that the accident has been reported. That said, I'm sure there are some shady shops that find a way around that :thumbsdow

J-hop
10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I believe that "technically speaking" if the damage is over a certain amount (a couple k I think) the shop cannot repair without a police sticker on the windshield indicating that the accident has been reported. That said, I'm sure there are some shady shops that find a way around that :thumbsdow

you are right its $2000 (which by today's standards is 1 fender haha).

Mar
10-30-2011, 04:06 AM
It's $1000.

J-hop
10-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Mar
It's $1000.

Nope, effective Jan 1 of this year it was increased to $2000.

G-ZUS
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
^beat me to ti

Masked Bandit
10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I thought it was the shop that reported data to Carfax, not the insurance company? I could be wrong though.

TomcoPDR
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I thought it was the shop that reported data to Carfax, not the insurance company? I could be wrong though.

If insurance is paying for the repairs, I think it's companies like carfax having some agreement with insurance companies to gain access to the repair info.