PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling OS query

mago0
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey Beyond,
I recently bought a new computer and I decided to install windows 7 using my old windows 7 key. I used my old disc and attempted to use my old key. However, my old key didn't work, so I went out and bought a new one but it has since slipped my mine till now.

It's now been a month and windows keeps bugging me that my windows isn't genuine blah blah blah. I attempted to put in the new CD key, but it does not work since the disc I used to install windows 7 was windows 7 ultimate, and I'm now trying to install windows 7 home premium.

I have a bunch of programs installed and I really don't want to redownload a bunch of games through steam, and reinstall a lot of software. Is there anyway I can back it up and just move it over when I reinstall windows? I do have 2 other hard drives connected on this computer.

TLDR New key does not work, need to reinstall windows, anyway to back up installs or any other suggestions?

Toyota Racing
10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Use an external hard drive and move all the files into it and then format your computer hard drive and then re-install windows.

Grogador
10-30-2011, 04:24 PM
^ that doesn't really solve his issue, he'd still have to reinstall most of his apps. At least with Stream, you can backup that folder and it'll find the files again instead of re-downloading. For everything else, there's Ninite (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/292108/ninite-easy-pc-setup/), it won't take too long, plus you get that fresh PC smell!

mago0
10-30-2011, 04:25 PM
I know this might sound like a noob question, but let's say I had SC2 installed. I transfer all the files from the SC2 folder out to another hard drive. How can I reinstall it without downloading it all the patches? Can I just simply make a new folder (for example) to C:/windows/programfiles/sc2?

Grogador
10-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Depends on the program/installer, not sure with SC2 but with WoW their install/repair tool will find the files you copied, verify them, make the proper registry changes like for a fresh install, and happily go from there. A lot (most) apps aren't that smart though, and you'd have to reinstall from scratch.

mago0
10-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Got it, thanks Grogador and Toyota.