PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated Depreciation

accordboi_02
10-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Hoping someone can help me out.

Short story:

Car was rear-ended and pushed into vehicle in front of me.
$14K of damage to car, insurance refused to write off the car so it has been repaired instead.

Now, if I ever want to sell the car or trade it in, I am not going to get the true value of the car as carfax will show $14K in damage to it.

How do I ensure I recoup that lost money? Do I need to put the car up for sale immediately and go after insurance for it? Or how do I put a claim on it so when I do sell the car (if i decide to stick with it for a few years) I can get the proper money owed me?

I talked to a lawyer and he told me chances are the depreciation will be $5K or less, which means it is not worth hiring a lawyer for this. However, $2000-5,000 is still a significant chunk of change I stand to lose.

Any help would be appreciated!

triplep
10-30-2011, 05:59 PM
All I know is that it has been won in bc.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/owner+wins+20000+after+valet+crashes+%60fantasy+sports+car/87471/story.html

guy got 16,000$ for accelerated depreciation, I mean 2-5k is a significant chunk of change, but I think your only way to make it worth while would be to go through small claims court? I am not a lawyer, so I have no idea.

Redlyne_mr2
10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
ICBC covers accelerated dep. , insurance companies here do not but you can fight for it if you have the time/patience.

accordboi_02
10-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
ICBC covers accelerated dep. , insurance companies here do not but you can fight for it if you have the time/patience. It is actually ICBC I will be making the claim on... driver who hit me was from BC and insured through ICBC.

No_Cash
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Wonder if I can sue that deer I hit...

BokCh0y
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I tried claiming ICBC and Intact for this for my previous 2 accidents.

Long story short:

Jan 31, 2011. Asshat sideswipes me downtown. Significant damage, $15000+ in damage, after asshat changes story shit load of times, insurance finally finds me in the right. Car is repaired May 2011, takes almost a month to do this.

August 2011. Another guy side swipes me, same side but this in Kamloops onmy way back from Van. Only $3k damage this time. ICBC immediately admits fault, car is fixed within 2 weeks.

Both times i tried to clain accelerated depreciation, especially for the $15k accident. State to insurance company that with the 15k accident and 3k for the 2nd time, no one in their right mind will buy this car much less pay me what it's worth.

Both times, my insurance company - Statefarm, tells me to pound sand. This isn't applicable in Ab. They won't even help me fight for this against the other party, knowing I am in the right both times and not at fault.

I hope it goes better for you...but I couldn't claim shit.

I still continue to drive shitbox suv.