PDA

View Full Version : Extra key wanted for Honda - Programming question

LUDELVR
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I've just heard that you need to get a spare key programmed for a 2006 Honda Ridgeline.

The spare key was used in the alarm/remote starter combo that was installed in order for it to start.

I'm wondering if I get a spare key, do I still need to have it programmed even though there is a key already in the transponder bypass unit for the alarm/starter? :dunno:

projekz
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
I would get one cut and see if it works... technically you shouldn't have to get another one programmed.

Mar
10-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Good luck with your insurance company. If they find a key inside your car and the car was stolen, you don't get anything.

Dilmah
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Good luck with your insurance company. If they find a key inside your car and the car was stolen, you don't get anything.

What? and your info comes from where? Please reference your source before I call BS. Web page, documents, name and phone number... anything unless it starts with "my friend told me" or "I heard that"

silvercivicsir
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
get an idatalink bypass... You dont loose a key with this bypass

TE4MFaint
10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
^ this.

idatalink bypasses are definitely the way to go these days anyhow with any vehicle application.

LUDELVR
10-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
^ this.

idatalink bypasses are definitely the way to go these days anyhow with any vehicle application.

Where do you get these from and how much are they? So when they use the other key for the alarm/remote starter, do they dismantle the key or what?

TE4MFaint
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Futureshop or we at Visions carry them as well. For your vehicle you will want an ADSALCA. Get them to sell it to you for $75, they retail for $100.

If you do a key sac, they dont dismantle the key, essential its called a "Key in a Box" solution. So your key is physically placed inside the bypass and closed up, the box has rings in the section where your key is placed so it picks up the transponder and will start the vehicle.

Mar
11-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah

What? and your info comes from where? Please reference your source before I call BS. Web page, documents, name and phone number... anything unless it starts with "my friend told me" or "I heard that"
How about, "I asked my insurance company?"

It's common sense, if you leave a key in your car and someone drives away with it, do you think the insurance company is going to cover your stupidity? It's the same reason they don't give you life insurance for suicide......for the first 2 years.

ReflexFX
11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Those digital bypass transponders are cheaper than getting a key cut and programmed anyways. I got mine all done for my compustar at the price of $70 whereas a key woulda cost me ~$120 at acura

LUDELVR
08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Bringing this back up. So can anyone cut these keys if I get a blank one or do I need to go to a dealership to cut the key? I just bought a spare key, am going to get it cut and see if it works without having it programmed seeing that the previous owner said he "thinks" the other spare key was used for the alarm. If it works, grand, no programming and I once again have an accessible spare key. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to form up the cash and get it programmed.

triplep
08-29-2013, 05:36 PM
What are you trying to do with the key?

If you don't get it programmed you won't be able to start your Ridgeline. You should be able to open the doors etc, but it won't allow you to start the car. The reason that you need it 'programmed' is because there is an immobilizer in your car. The key gets programmed by Honda so that the immobilizer allows you to start your car. Without it you will be SOL.

LUDELVR
08-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by triplep
What are you trying to do with the key?

If you don't get it programmed you won't be able to start your Ridgeline. You should be able to open the doors etc, but it won't allow you to start the car. The reason that you need it 'programmed' is because there is an immobilizer in your car. The key gets programmed by Honda so that the immobilizer allows you to start your car. Without it you will be SOL.

I'm aware that ill need it to get programmed from the dealer for the immobilzer but I'm wondering, if there's already a spare key being used for the remote start/alarm, that's in the steering column permanently, will any other cut keys need to be programmed still?