PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a chiropractor

KISS_ME
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Was hoping to get some help in finding a chiropractor that specializes in correcting bad body posture. Hopefully something in the northwest, with city center probably being the furthest i would like to travel.

Thanks in advance

G-ZUS
11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Dr Zahirra Kara in North Hill Mall

wardpr68
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Dr. Mike Dahm on Southland Drive in the SW.

He REALLY knows his stuff. Family run practice he has genuine interest in your health and is not just there to make a buck. Family has been going to him for almost 20 years I believe.

ecobuilder
11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Dr. Rob Taylor @ Core Health - Scotia Center.

All natural approach to health. No need for unnecessary visits.

Highly recommend.

turbotrip
11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
one you should avoid is Edge chiropractor downtown, dr. kevin aitken
rushes everything/everyone and is definitely just chasing the $

mazdavirgin
11-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Chiropractics is snake oil... There is no proof they do anything beneficial see a real doctor. http://www.chirobase.org/

triplep
11-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Jeff Holliday

He used to work at Chiropractic performance and sports therapy centre, I knew a ton of people that went there and where 100% satisfied with his work. He does some deep tissue manipulation as well if need be.

I think he works now at Riverside sports therapy chiro and accupuncture clinci

110 point mckay cres NW
403-283-7886

r3ccOs
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm a big fan of Well Within Chiro in evergreen... I like Dr. Seth Shui and his wife Dr. Tara Shui

they take their time, isolate specific sublaxations and also tell you realistic how frequent to vist, and whatis an appropiate rehabilitation plan...

i.e. different types of stretches, way to stay active to keep certain issues at bay.. (sunrises, lower back extentions) Yoga
Inversion table

prevention, rehabilitation and correction

LadyLuck
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Chiropractics is snake oil... There is no proof they do anything beneficial see a real doctor. http://www.chirobase.org/

Have you ever been to one?

mazdavirgin
11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
Have you ever been to one?

Sure have and I got the hell out of there. The BS just drips from their pores. I don't know how anyone can piss away their money on pseudo science. Might as well get your fortune told while you are at it...

LadyLuck
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM

Sure have and I got the hell out of there. The BS just drips from their pores. I don't know how anyone can piss away their money on pseudo science. Might as well get your fortune told while you are at it...

Ive been going to a chiro for many years, and they've never failed me. Plus I dont pay anything for it so no pissing away anything there. Some people dont believe in it, others who have been properly treated swear by it. To each their own.

And I went to a real doctor with my back problems, and he told me to see a chiropractor!

scboss
11-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Ive been going to a chiro for many years, and they've never failed me. Plus I dont pay anything for it so no pissing away anything there. Some people dont believe in it, others who have been properly treated swear by it. To each their own.

And I went to a real doctor with my back problems, and he told me to see a chiropractor!

Any person that helps you with your health should have a end date. You should just exercise and strengthen the muscles around your back. Why mess with a expensive temporary fix?

To me if someone cannot give you a expected FULL recovery time for your injury your doing the wrong thing :dunno:

Neil68
12-10-2011, 12:21 AM
There are no such thing as subluxations, at least in the way the chiropractic industry uses the term. This was something Palmer dreamed up in the dark ages and is still promoted by old chiros. If a chiropractor still uses this "old school" approach, then best to find yourself another chiropractor.

There was a classic study done many years ago, where an x-ray was sent to numerous chiropractors asking for their "assessment" of any abnormalities. The range of issues that the chiropractors brought up was mind boggling, and all of them prescribed multiple treatments for this individual, at considerable cost, of course. Alas, the spinal column shown in the x-ray was totally normal.

Some more modern chiros have taken their business more into the massage and exercise prescription modalities and are teaming up with physiotherapists and even medical doctors. Those would be better choices.

Even some chiropractors who want to bring their industry up to a more "research based" methodology, are starting to say that enough is enough. Check out this article written by a Chiroprator: http://www.chirobase.org/01General/chirosham.html

ExtraSlow
12-10-2011, 09:18 AM
For years I've been a skeptic of the entire concept of Chiropractic.
Now, I'm not so sure. I have been having some back issues that my massage therapist can't seem to fix. Might be time to find someone more trained.

I do agree that some chiros are just salesmen. I know a guy who claims he comes back from the chiro at least 2 inches taller. That's the sort of shit I want to avoid.

RateMD has lots of Calgary Chiros on it, so I'll be combing through that to get a general feel for them.

wardpr68
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Seriously... Dr. Dahm in Southland. He doesn't just adjust you and kick you out... he will talk to you, tell you what things you can do to rehab the area, just ask questions and he will answer them.

And to anyone who thinks chiro is bs... one of two things

1) you are a giant pussy and were never really injured enough to where a chiro would help

2) you went to a useless one

When I was into wrestling I had my neck or back crunched every week, Dr. Dahm is the only reason I could keep going.

mazdavirgin
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68
And to anyone who thinks chiro is bs... one of two things

1) you are a giant pussy and were never really injured enough to where a chiro would help

2) you went to a useless one

When I was into wrestling I had my neck or back crunched every week, Dr. Dahm is the only reason I could keep going.

:facepalm: If anyone is a giant pussy it would be you for believing in snake oil or maybe you just like having dudes touch your neck gently?

http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

Show me proof it works then we can talk. Until then you are getting a glorified expensive massage from a dude.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Just to be clear, there is a big difference between the common type of Chirporactic practised in the USA (Spinal Subluxation) and the evidence based care done in Canada.

They aren't even close. Apples and oranges.

Unfortunalety, most of the websites dedicated to "disproving" chiropractic as referring to the US model.

There are some excellent Chiros in Canada, and in Calgary.

KRyn
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
You have bad posture because your muscles are not strong / to strong and you don't have enough flexibility. Seeing a chiropractor will not solve these problems. You may find temporary relief, but you need to address the issue causing the problem. I would suggest also seeing a physiotherapist to sort out your muscle imbalances. I have herniated discs and used to be unable to sit at a desk longer than a few hours. After rehabbing the proper muscles and stretching regularly I can now sit for much longer and I have reduced almost all of my lower back pain.

mazdavirgin
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Just to be clear, there is a big difference between the common type of Chirporactic practised in the USA (Spinal Subluxation) and the evidence based care done in Canada.

They aren't even close. Apples and oranges.

Unfortunalety, most of the websites dedicated to "disproving" chiropractic as referring to the US model.

There are some excellent Chiros in Canada, and in Calgary.

There is NO evidence based chiropractics done in Canada it is no different than the USA since their colleges all teach the same quackery. If you think there is feel free to show me the published studies.

Oh and frankly I know people who have been to the Chiropractic colleges in Canada and they do teach Spinal Subluxation. They also teach you that colds are a result of your spine being misaligned. People just turn a blind eye to the fact that Chiropractors teach crazy shit at their colleges.

sputnik
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
If they actually did anything proven to work... you would see them working in hospitals.

Until then they are just preying on people hoping for a quick fix.

Talk to any back doctor and most will tell you that 95% of back pain will go away on its own given that the patient is not overweight and is willing to exercise and stretch regularly to build and loosen back muscles.

I also personally know someone whose back was broken by a chiropractor and there are TONS of stories similar to his. Even cases of those that were killed while getting adjustments.

No thanks.

msommers
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Chiropractors: The businessmen of Medicine. Amazing marketing department!

ExtraSlow
01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
If anyone feels like it, there are several references linked in the wiki articleWiki - Evidence basis - chiropractic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic#Evidence_basis)

I won't argue that Chiropractic, more than any other medical discipline, seems to avoid educating its patients.

If you ever see a chiropractor that can't suggest a likely end to your treatment, stop seeing them.

I'm currently seeing one for a specific problem, and aside from the creepy cracking stuff, he's been suggesting a bunch of stretches and strengthening exercises that will prevent my issue from recurring. He is what you would call a "mixed" chiro, and at present, I'm satisfied with my care. We've discussed it, and I will no longer require his services within a short period of time.

mazdavirgin
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If anyone feels like it, there are several references linked in the wiki articleWiki - Evidence basis - chiropractic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic#Evidence_basis)

Funny thing is none of those listed studies has shown any statistically significant effectiveness... And that's with a super small amount of studies. Most of those points on effectiveness have one maybe two studies behind them and almost all of them came back with non statistically significant results AKA it doesn't do anything measurable. Frankly most of the studies are performed by people with no science backgrounds and thus have questionable methodology. Granted what do you expect when the people performing the studies own college is not science based.

wardpr68
01-06-2012, 03:16 PM

:facepalm: If anyone is a giant pussy it would be you for believing in snake oil or maybe you just like having dudes touch your neck gently?

http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

Show me proof it works then we can talk. Until then you are getting a glorified expensive massage from a dude.

You clearly fall under #2.

dimi
01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I have never gone to a chiro but have a few friends that do. They all say great things and highly recommend the process. Interesting thing is though that week after week they're always going, and their problem is getting better and better, but there is no real end date to their healing process.

My back has been quite stiff from a lot of snowboarding so I went to a deep tissue (trigger point?) massage. Some painful shit that was, but I feel great now and the stiffness has resided. Maybe its just a placebo.

duaner
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
You have bad posture because your muscles are not strong / to strong and you don't have enough flexibility. Seeing a chiropractor will not solve these problems. You may find temporary relief, but you need to address the issue causing the problem. I would suggest also seeing a physiotherapist to sort out your muscle imbalances. I have herniated discs and used to be unable to sit at a desk longer than a few hours. After rehabbing the proper muscles and stretching regularly I can now sit for much longer and I have reduced almost all of my lower back pain.
^^This.

Are there chiropractors whose techniques and business models are snake oil? Of course. I think this is one that my boss goes to and has tried to get myself and others to go to: http://health.ucha.ca/ It's through "Maximized Living," which really seems to be a scam: http://chirotalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=cult&thread=3009&page=10

All cervical adjustments which is supposed to open up the area around the spinal cord so that your body can heal itself. Whatever. Maybe that's "spinal sublaxation," I don't know.

My boss's chiro even said he would meet my boss and his wife at the hospital when they had their first baby last year and give the baby an adjustment right away. :facepalm: That is snake oil.

But there are legitimate chiropractors whose aim is to get people better and keep you from having to go back, not just push people through and tell you to keep coming back so they make money.

Chiropractors have their place but they should be used in conjunction with physio, massage, physical therapy, and/or exercise. But to lump all chiropractors together and generalize by saying that "chiropractics is snake oil," is complete and total ignorance.

mazdavirgin
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by duaner
But to lump all chiropractors together and generalize by saying that "chiropractics is snake oil," is complete and total ignorance.

No... It's based on science and the lack of proof they are doing ANYTHING.

duaner
01-07-2012, 11:59 AM

No... It's based on science and the lack of proof they are doing ANYTHING.
So, you went to one, and by the sound of it didn't stay very long, read some stuff on the Internet, and you're an expert, knowing that all chiropractors do the same thing and all is snake oil? I think the discerning reader will easily see the problems with your reasoning and that my statement on ignorance stands.

Chiropractors have their place but, IMO, that may not be what the OP needs, at least certainly not on it's own.

autosm
01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Dr. William A. Watt, in Bowness close to Marketmall.
Tel: (403) 520-0230 4704 Bowness Road NW

I was sceptical when I first went. My mother in law is a nurse and she told me to stay away from Chiropractors.

First time I went it hurt to put on my coat. One adjustment to my shoulder and pain was 90% gone. A few more adjustments and its 100% better. Total cost to my plan was less than 200$.

mazdavirgin
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM

So, you went to one, and by the sound of it didn't stay very long, read some stuff on the Internet, and you're an expert, knowing that all chiropractors do the same thing and all is snake oil? I think the discerning reader will easily see the problems with your reasoning and that my statement on ignorance stands.

Chiropractors have their place but, IMO, that may not be what the OP needs, at least certainly not on it's own.

The burden of proof lies on the Chiropractors. They must show their treatment is effective. The burden of proof is NOT on people who are pointing out correctly there is no proof their treatment does anything. This is logic 101 which it seems is not to obvious. :facepalm: Just like if I said the world is filled with invisible pink elephants the burden of proof is on me to prove the world is filled with invisible pink elephants and not on the people saying that this statement is false. Care to try again Chiropractor stooge?

Seth1968
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
This happens a lot more than most people know:

http://popgoesthenews.blogspot.com/2011/07/alannah-myles-coping-with-neck-injury.html

Though more widely accepted than it was once, chiropractic remains controversial and has been linked to crippling injuries and deaths. In a systematic review of case reports published in the International Journal of Clinical Practice in June 2010, Edzard Ernst concluded "the risks of chiropractic neck manipulations by far outweigh their benefits."

autosm
01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Well if it is snake oil I will just keep buying it because it works for me.

I would say lots of people are buying as they are all over the city and seem to have a good amount of people going to them.

I wish I would never listened to people telling me they are bad and went to one sooner.

I have taken my dog to one. A couple of 30$ adjustments saved me 500$+ at the vet who wanted to do an Xray to see what was wrong.

CompletelyNumb
01-09-2012, 02:11 AM
All the studies and websites mean nothing to me. I've gone to a chiro in the past, and I walked out very satisfied with the results. Mix in a good massage and I was elated.

I will agree on the strengthening/flexibility/physio comments though.

googe
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
It can be hard to admit that you spend money on snake oil, especially if you had yourself convinced that it is providing benefit. So, it is not surprising that people will recommend them. Human nature.

For the love of god though, don't take animals to them :rolleyes:

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
All the studies and websites mean nothing to me.

This is what keeps the human race from making progress.

GREENBOY
01-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I had a numb left hand for years and mentioned it to a chiro. Don't know what he did but one adjustment fixed it. I was kind of sceptical until that visit. I don't have issues and just go for the odd tune-up or when my I do something stupid to cause my back to hurt. I agree they're very good at getting you to re-visit but they do work for lots of people.

scboss
01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
How many of you that see a chiropractor exercise on a regular basis? I have a client that was lazy as hell and went to a chiro for 3 years for his lower back. Ive had him deadlifting, squatting, doing simple core exercises and flexibility training for 8 weeks. Pain is gone and he is stronger then he has been in 10 years.

Chiro = Short term bandage
Physio/Exercise = Long term fix

You can say what you want about chiro but in the end strengthening the muscles around your problem will be the fix.

Laziness and bad posture is usually how these problems occur in the first place.

CompletelyNumb
01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by googe

This is what keeps the human race from making progress.

Or perhaps the conflicting studies simply make both sides lose credibility ;) Never hurts to form your own opinions from first hand experience rather than listening to others!

duaner
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM

The burden of proof lies on the Chiropractors. They must show their treatment is effective. The burden of proof is NOT on people who are pointing out correctly there is no proof their treatment does anything. This is logic 101 which it seems is not to obvious. :facepalm: Just like if I said the world is filled with invisible pink elephants the burden of proof is on me to prove the world is filled with invisible pink elephants and not on the people saying that this statement is false. Care to try again Chiropractor stooge?
You made a truth claim that, and I quote, "chiropractics is snake oil." A truth claim demands burden of proof. So the BOP is just as much on you to prove it is, in fact, all snake oil. Not to mention it is the fallacy known as hasty generalization, showing that you do not know all the treatments available from different chiroprators.

Regardless, this little side pissing contest is pointless. People in here, including myself, have benefited greatly from chiropractic treatments that you choose to malign despite remaining ignorant of.

As for neck adjustments, I had those with my first chiro many years ago but would not get them again. My wife had a client who has severe issues, including chronic pain, from a neck adjustment. Physios can adjust things as well in a much more careful way to avoid such injuries. The problem with adjustments is that they can just result in a release of endorphins to the problem area which only gives the feeling things are better.

My current chiro hasn't done a neck adjustment and won't adjust my back unless I ask. They typically do a few other types of treatments, including ART, Graston Technique, and IMS (commonly used by physios). Of course, I only see them as necessary, and it's been a couple of months at least.

autosm
01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
How many of you that see a chiropractor exercise on a regular basis? I have a client that was lazy as hell and went to a chiro for 3 years for his lower back. Ive had him deadlifting, squatting, doing simple core exercises and flexibility training for 8 weeks. Pain is gone and he is stronger then he has been in 10 years.

You can say what you want about chiro but in the end strengthening the muscles around your problem will be the fix.

Laziness and bad posture is usually how these problems occur in the first place.

I was in pretty good shape when I went the first time. My shoulder hurt when I put my coat on. Pretty hard to work out when you can't lift your arm. Mine was a work place injury that bothered me for 5 years off and on. I got a 90% improvement with my first adjustment.

I had physio but it did not help at all. Drugs took the pain away but problem was still there. I wish I would have had it adjusted sooner.

Just my 2c

scboss
01-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by autosm

I was in pretty good shape when I went the first time. My shoulder hurt when I put my coat on. Pretty hard to work out when you can't lift your arm. Mine was a work place injury that bothered me for 5 years off and on. I got a 90% improvement with my first adjustment.

I had physio but it did not help at all. Drugs took the pain away but problem was still there. I wish I would have had it adjusted sooner.

Just my 2c

What kind of rotator cuff work were you doing? Before and after the injury?

mazdavirgin
01-10-2012, 01:38 AM
You made a truth claim that, and I quote, "chiropractics is snake oil." A truth claim demands burden of proof. So the BOP is just as much on you to prove it is, in fact, all snake oil. Not to mention it is the fallacy known as hasty generalization, showing that you do not know all the treatments available from different chiroprators.

:facepalm: Your posts are so full of fail it is amazing. I don't have to prove anything since I am asking for proof that the treatments you are enthralled with are actually effective. I have yet to see any proof that supports your position that Chiropractors do anything other than take your money and prey on the gullible. Your position is exactly the same as the whole Simpsons tiger repellant rock.

Again this is akin to the whole magic invisible elephants. The invisible elephants are Chiropractors. I don't have to prove they are not effective. YOU have to prove they are the burden of proof is your own. Oh it's not a "hasty generalization" since you have yet to provide proof that your position is supported by science. If you want logical fallacies how about you read the nonsense you are trying to argue? First you argue from your experience and you accuse me of "hasty generalization." Then you pretty much try to use a ‘no true Chiropractor’ fallacy. :rofl: How about you go sit over there and let the grown ups talk using things like science instead of personal experience and anecdotes?

Just curious but do all the anti science logic folk in here blindly believe all this new age alternative healing bull shit? If you do I am prepared to heal you with my magic touch! All that is required is a payment of 100$. My touch causes your atoms to reverberate on quantum frequencies and will magically heal. I will be here all week folks!

turbotrip
01-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Are you a physiotherapist?

msommers
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM

:facepalm: Your posts are so full of fail it is amazing. I don't have to prove anything since I am asking for proof that the treatments you are enthralled with are actually effective. I have yet to see any proof that supports your position that Chiropractors do anything other than take your money and prey on the gullible. Your position is exactly the same as the whole Simpsons tiger repellant rock.

Again this is akin to the whole magic invisible elephants. The invisible elephants are Chiropractors. I don't have to prove they are not effective. YOU have to prove they are the burden of proof is your own. Oh it's not a "hasty generalization" since you have yet to provide proof that your position is supported by science. If you want logical fallacies how about you read the nonsense you are trying to argue? First you argue from your experience and you accuse me of "hasty generalization." Then you pretty much try to use a ‘no true Chiropractor’ fallacy. :rofl: How about you go sit over there and let the grown ups talk using things like science instead of personal experience and anecdotes?

Just curious but do all the anti science logic folk in here blindly believe all this new age alternative healing bull shit? If you do I am prepared to heal you with my magic touch! All that is required is a payment of 100$. My touch causes your atoms to reverberate on quantum frequencies and will magically heal. I will be here all week folks!

While I agree wholeheartedly about what you're saying, I do have to say there is something for an increased pyschological health. I mean ok, lets say physiologically you aren't actually getting anything changed, adjusted or strengthened. However, you don't feel pain anymore or actually think you feel better. From a medical standpoint, it's a major issue of ethics but which side is wrong?

I remember reading a study were a surgeon looked at patients who required knee surgery. Some got a placebo in that, they got opened up and stitched back up but that's it. The others were given full-blown knee surgery. Both sides reported feeling better and didn't suffer from knee pain anymore. The power of the brain is immense.

For something like surgery, I personally feel surgeons have an oath to actually do something to fix the problem so it doesn't reoccur (someting I don't remember reading in that study). The problem lies in that if Chiros are aiding people's mental (and a little physical, maybe) health or if they're exploiting the effects of a placebo.

autosm
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM

What kind of rotator cuff work were you doing? Before and after the injury?

Loading a pick up truck. Not warmed up, first thing in the morning. Missed a week of work.

Went to doctor and lots of physio right after the injury. Ibuprofin helped but the pain came and went.

scboss
01-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Are you a physiotherapist?
I'm a personal trainer right now. Have my degree but teaching in a classroom wasn't for me

scboss
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by autosm

Loading a pick up truck. Not warmed up, first thing in the morning. Missed a week of work.

Went to doctor and lots of physio right after the injury. Ibuprofin helped but the pain came and went.

I meant rotator cuff before injury(in gym) and after(in rehab)

Porsche_55
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
EMbody DT location. Works wonders and they give you exercises to prevent back pain.

Seth1968
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
Was hoping to get some help in finding a chiropractor that specializes in correcting bad body posture. Hopefully something in the northwest, with city center probably being the furthest i would like to travel.

Thanks in advance

Chiropractors are below the list of lawyers.

Unless you have some bizarre bone disease, all back problems are due to weak ab muscles.