PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else ride in the winter?

megavolt
11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Commuted in the winter last year and plan to again this year.

I drive to a park n' bike so I've pretty much got priority 1 snow removal pathways the whole way.

Studded tires and proper clothes and it's not too bad.

Just wondering if anyone else rides in the white.

phreezee
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I've never needed studded tires, but I've bought them for this winter.

When are you going to put the tires on? I'm still on slicks.

megavolt
11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Only really need the studs when there is ice. Although the extra knobbiness of the tires helps in the snow. I'm waiting until the first real good dump. On dry pavement they are really rough to ride on and slow you down, plus it's not very good for the tires (just like winter car tires on warm dry pavement).

phreezee
11-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Cool, I'll switch to knobbies for now. Supposed to snow on Friday. I was fine on slicks on Monday though, and I still saw a lot of roadies this week.

bigboom
11-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I commute in the winter from Cougar Ridge to downtown. Haven't required studs yet however would have helped on a bail I had last year. Have two bikes for winter commuting a 29'r singlespeed for really shitty conditions and a 'cross bike with fenders for everything else. The salt mix they put on the road has gotten worst for bicycle components, seem to have to replace either a FD or RD every year now along with chain.

megavolt
11-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Ya I know I'm lucky to have paths pretty much the whole way. I might try riding the whole 17K a few times. It's about 9K from the park n' bike to work.

How's the ride up Bow Tr going home in the winter (Assuming that's the way you go)?

phreezee
11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
You guys have any cold weather gear recommendations?

Here's one of my favs: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35141

megavolt
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I've been through quite a few face protection options. A lot of them don't let me breathe deep enough. Holes for the mouth are usually too small. I usually can't breathe through my nose very good (year round allergies).

When it gets cold enough I have to wear face protection I usually change to my ski helmet and goggles because I can't keep my glasses from fogging up. Not buying specialized winter bike gear since I already ski and have this stuff.

I picked up a set of neoprene paddling gloves from MEC to try this winter. Waterproof and warm... just don't know yet how low they'll be good to.

bigboom
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I've been through quite a few face protection options. A lot of them don't let me breathe deep enough. Holes for the mouth are usually too small. I usually can't breathe through my nose very good (year round allergies).

When it gets cold enough I have to wear face protection I usually change to my ski helmet and goggles because I can't keep my glasses from fogging up. Not buying specialized winter bike gear since I already ski and have this stuff.

I picked up a set of neoprene paddling gloves from MEC to try this winter. Waterproof and warm... just don't know yet how low they'll be good to.

Try the gore wind stopper balaclava, it's the only one ive tried that i actually like.

In terms of clothing i have the sugoi firewall gloves for anything colder than -10. For -10 to -20 i wear a long sleeve wicking layer with a wool insulating layer and a shell, that takes me to -20. Any colder and I go with a full gore shell and down insulating layer.

For the lower body windstopper pants take me to -10, any colder and I just layer different longjohns. -10 to -15 simple poly tights, -15 to -25 fleece tights.

megavolt
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Try the gore wind stopper balaclava, it's the only one ive tried that i actually like.

Where did you get yours?

codetrap
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I think I saw them at costco last night.

bigboom
11-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Where did you get yours?

i got mine from "the bike shop" on 10the ave. if costco has them as per codetrap it may be cheaper there.

megavolt
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Well we're into it now. First snow kind of sucked. Ride home was brutal. Second snow wasn't too bad a ride home, not as much ice underneath.

I've got the studded tires on now. I hate how much the knobbiness slows me down, but they add a ton of confidence.

I'm still riding my full 17.5K every day, boy it's a lot harder in the cold. I'll probably only do the half rides when there's a ton of snow on the ground. As it is I'm semi-terrified of the parts I have to ride on the roads.

phreezee
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM

I've got the studded tires on now. I hate how much the knobbiness slows me down, but they add a ton of confidence.

I put on the 2.1" studded tires on for this week just in time for the chinook... boo! Feel so slow, and hate seeing the hybrid/cross bikes pass me. We'll see how they fair on Friday. Today is going to suck the wind conditions.

megavolt
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I live in the NE... love the west wind. :D

megavolt
11-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow... this morning was fun.

Rode the whole 17K into work. Took me 15 minutes longer than usual and a lot harder ride.

And the snow wasn't even that deep. :)

Might have to start driving to the park n' bike again so I'm not late for work.

phreezee
12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Crazy weather! I was stripping off layers and gloves last night on the way home. This morning, house music on, +7C, less weight/clothes, and with tailwind I was hitting 37kmh and averaged 33kmh on a mtb bike with 2.1" tires. :D

megavolt
12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
and it's supposed to drop to 0 during the day (still pretty warm)... Crazy weather indeed.

phreezee
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Quite the experience today.
I was all good except for fingers and the tiny spot on my nose between my goggles and face mask lol.

Need to use the pogies tomorrow.

JfuckinC
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Quite the experience today.
I was all good except for fingers and the tiny spot on my nose between my goggles and face mask lol.

Need to use the pogies tomorrow.

You're a fucking machine lol :rofl:

phreezee
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
I didn't think today would be much worse, but damn it was probably 3x as bad.

That wasn't the story of the morning though... I saw a guy a on unicycle! WTF?!? :rofl: :eek: :nut:

ekguy
01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I haven't been commuting to work or anything, but i've been going for some pretty lengthy rides around Marda Loop. Just messing around with my bike.

Thing is though pedaling that damn bike up hill in marda loop makes for quite the workout.

What type bikes you guys riding all winter?

swak
01-22-2012, 11:31 AM
... i just ride my f/g surly commuter.

Fixed gear is the most beneficial in the winter months, as it gives you that much more control of your bike.

ekguy
01-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah i've been having way too much fun on my fully all winter haha. finding random lines to hit in and around marda loop. The amount of hills in this area has been a lot of fun and a killer workout.

codetrap
02-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Goddamnit.. I gotta get this hip fixed so I can start riding again.. my poor Hammer is all lonely hanging up in the garage, and my daughter keeps saying to me.. "Daddy, it's the perfect day for a bike ride you know.."

swak
02-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Goddamnit.. I gotta get this hip fixed so I can start riding again.. my poor Hammer is all lonely hanging up in the garage, and my daughter keeps saying to me.. "Daddy, it's the perfect day for a bike ride you know.."

HTFU!!!!!

haha... I know your pain dude, i blew up my knee a couple years back and put me out of commission, and i just wanted to ride my damn bike....
Get well son!

megavolt
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Damn... I missed all the fun stuff. I was on Vancouver Island for 2 weeks during the whole deep freeze.

codetrap
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by swak

HTFU!!!!!

haha... I know your pain dude, i blew up my knee a couple years back and put me out of commission, and i just wanted to ride my damn bike....
Get well son!

Heh.. I wish. Its mechanical now. Got bone spurs in the joint so I'm limited in movement. Can't get my knee high enough to do a pedal stroke without it feeling like someone is knifing me in leg. Tried real hard last summer and finally gave up after I stopped and had a little puke a klick out. I'm looking at like Sept - Nov for the surgery, then recover if I wait it out in the system, so I'm looking at options. If anyone knows of a private clinic that does BHR for FAI, then please let me know. :)

Mtn Tow
02-15-2012, 11:43 PM

bspot
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Anyone else find this cruddy slush the absolute worst?

Most guys seem to be pretty cautious on it, and I've been sliding around here and there (on studs with not super aggressive tread pattern, but studs are useless in that stuff).

I saw one guy on a fully though with just big knobby tires flying through it. Could they actually give you that much traction, or is this guy just an insane rider? I don't get how you can corner on this stuff at all without low-siding

Mtn Tow
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

el_fefes
02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Brown snow FTL!:thumbsdow

I have been doing my daily commute on my e-bike (electric assist). The thing is a tank. The motor really helps going up home road!

megavolt
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
My wife had a schwinn e-bike from C-Tire but on any long rides when the battery finally gives out the 'tankness' of it really sucked (heavy as a tank and only 5 gears).

Ended up buying her a nice light cruiser bike last year and she could almost keep up with me as well as she did with power assist.

swak
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah.... from what i've seen, power assist is more of a hindrance than a help overall (not referring to fitness here). But they're just a huge headache overall.

megavolt
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Unless you want to shell out the $$$... those bionX systems look pretty decent, but I still don't see the point unless you're commuting a LONG way with some STEEP LONG hills.

Even then... hills are a good workout.

Gotta do some more hill training before the RtCC this summer, not many hills on my commute.

phreezee
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Tonight was so wet. Tomorrow will be super icey. :thumbsdow

megavolt
02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Wasn't too bad. I found that my normally icy sections were just a crunchy mess instead of slick because they were freezing during the afternoon commute and froze that way.

megavolt
02-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Ug... rear brake cable seizing up on these cold mornings. Think some water got in there.

C_Dave45
03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Peeking my head in here, as I'm not a cyclist. But I was just quoting a job downtown this morning and it is a soon-to-open indoor cycling place. High-end spinner cycles? (sorry, not familiar with proper terms) that will have a 7' "virtual screen" of all kinds of different terrain. Tour de France, Mountains, etc. Some classes will be instructor led, others not. She's gonna have 30-some machines. Met with the owner today, very cool person, with years of cycling behind her. Has trained many athletes (NHL, pro cyclists etc) at places like NSD, and different clubs around Calgary. Seems like this will be the first of it's kind here in Calgary.
http://www.pelotoncycling.ca/

swak
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM

megavolt
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Went to my first spin class a few weeks ago because the team I'm with for the RtCC was going. Not quite what I was expecting but a good workout nonetheless.

That being said, it's not like we ride in the winter solely for the exercise. We ride because there's no reason not to. Winter riding just takes more preparedness. You have to dress for the weather and equip/maintain your bike more.

There's no way a good spin studio would get me back on the Train. :barf:

el_fefes
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
My wife had a schwinn e-bike from C-Tire but on any long rides when the battery finally gives out the 'tankness' of it really sucked (heavy as a tank and only 5 gears).

Ended up buying her a nice light cruiser bike last year and she could almost keep up with me as well as she did with power assist.

Originally posted by swak
Yeah.... from what i've seen, power assist is more of a hindrance than a help overall (not referring to fitness here). But they're just a huge headache overall.

I have an e+ http://epluselectricbike.com/ which is a pretty good system IMO. There is about 15% left on the battery when I get back home. The commute back is mainly uphill (Hawkwood) so the assist is awesome. The battery did die on me once at the top of Home Rd. The "tankness" totally sucked at that point.

I do have a road bike that I used in the summer.

phreezee
03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Wiped out today and required stitches :burnout:
Shopping for a full face helmet :rofl:

megavolt
03-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Funny that I wrote that after the most brutal ride I've had. Slipped 5 times but only fell once. The patch I fell on was about 20ft of black ice. Bike fell out from under me and I ended up sliding on my back for another 10ft. Luckily didn't get hurt.

phreezee
03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Took the Ctrain today and it sucked hard.

phreezee
03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Funny that I wrote that after the most brutal ride I've had. Slipped 5 times but only fell once. The patch I fell on was about 20ft of black ice. Bike fell out from under me and I ended up sliding on my back for another 10ft. Luckily didn't get hurt.

I followed through and bought a Bell XGames today, clearance priced at MEC for $55 :)

megavolt
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
You landed on your face? What happened? Every time I've 'crashed' in the winter it's just been laying the bike down.

civic_epidemic
03-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Where were you biking?

phreezee
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Ironically I made it through the "worst" part and was already in the building parkade. Going down the ramp around a corner when the front wheel slipped out from underneath me, and I slammed my chin on the pavement. Just over an inch cut, 4 stiches.

If it was just my rear tire slipping out I probably would have just layed the bike down and been on my back instead.

phreezee
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Thinking of taking off the studded tires this week and going back to 1.5" slicks on the mtb bike.
Yay or Nay?

megavolt
03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I bought Zipdoa's old cyclocross bike on Sunday (2010 Kona Jake the Snake), put my summer touring tires on and rode it this morning.

Gotta get used to the drop handlebar stance and make some fit adjustments. My back hurts a little after that ride (could have been hockey last night too).

megavolt
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Time to revive this thread methinks.

Wasn't too bad coming in this morning.

My wife has been riding with me all summer and says she'll keep riding for as long as she can. Put my studded tires on her bike and I'm riding with knobbies.

Hit up the used ski sale this weekend and picked up some new goggles for riding (my yellows from a few years ago just have too many scratches now). Turns out I could have got the same goggles on ebay for much cheaper. Oh well.

Got my wife a nice softshell for riding in at the sale for $30. Didn't find anything for myself this year.

Anyway... how did everyone else's ride go?

benyl
10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I skipped it this morning. my street was again covered in ice. I don't have a problem with the cold. I just don't want to bail.

I am still looking for a new bike.

Can't decide if I want an IGH or just go with a cheap Cyclocross like a 2013 Kona Jake.

My other option is to replace the fork on my Cannondale (stupid Headshok) so that I can put a fender on it. It is a tough call as it will probably cost me $500 to do it (going to put a disc brake on the front) and that is half the cost of a Jake.

ExtremeSi
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
This is the first year I'm going to try to bike year round. I didn't want to go today because I have class till 9pm, but I'm hoping to get out this week still. Tomorrow's snowfall should be interesting.

The cold doesn't bother me, but I'm a little concerned about my tires on some of the ice. I have a Kona mountain bike with standard mtn bike tires. Should I get studded tires? And if I do can I keep them on all winter? It's a bitch to change since I can't just swap rims because I have disc brakes on there so I would have to swap everything. Might as well just swap the tires once and leave them on all winter.

a social dsease
10-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I skipped riding today - looked super icy. I ride a good portion of my commute on the road and I don't know how comfortable I am sharing the road with cars who may or may not be sliding all over the place, while I'll likely be sliding myself (still have the slick tires).

Need to put on better tires for winter and maybe re-think the route for icy days. Once it gets colder and the snow is dryer I think it'll be alot less sketchy too.

phreezee
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Automatic kudos for anyone who bikes tomorrow :)

I'm gonna tackle it!:thumbsup:

megavolt
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Yesterday wasn't too bad. All the ice I came across was the crunchy type not slippery.

We took this morning pretty slow because it was my wife's first time in any real accumulation of snow.

My bike seemed to be fine with just knobby tires except for a couple of hills where I lost traction on my rear wheel a couple of times.

ExtremeSi
10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Well that was interesting today. My first winter ride. Not too bad actually. I think I made it to work faster than if I would've driven considering all the traffic. And I have bike paths almost the whole way so I don't have to deal with sketchy drivers.

Slid and fell once, but luckily I was going slow. :D Stupid snow covered sewer drain messed me up.

I found that going through fresh snow was nice and easy, whereas riding on packed down ice was pretty slick as is to be expected. I'm still on stock tires, but might look into getting some studded (or making my own) tires now.

phreezee
10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I saw one guy with a Cross giving up and walking his bike. Secret is to keep your gears down and cadence up as to never apply too much torque at once. For rear wheel traction never get off your seat either to keep the weight on the tire. Cyclists who usually stand up to go up hills in summer will slide out in these conditions.

megavolt
10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Ya last night sure was fun.

City didn't bother to clear the section from the zoo bridge to 16th Ave. Made for quite the slow ride for my wife and I.

Left extra early this morning to account for it but turns out they were out extra early to clear it this morning.

Only saw one other cyclist this morning until I got to the riverwalk.

:winter:

megavolt
10-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Wholy crap it got icy overnight.

I fell twice on my ride in this morning. Guess I do need studded tires.

First one wasn't that bad. Second one was. Fell hard on my knee and elbow. Needed a few minutes to shake it off and get back on the bike. Swelling up pretty good now.

I swear this is the worst I've ever seen it on my route. Especially the part they didn't clear until 2 mornings after it snowed.

phreezee
10-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm taking a break. Even with studded tires, I almost fell once last night and once this morning. Not worth it, and I want to enjoy my weekend.

benyl
10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
After those reports, I am glad I skipped out this week.

phreezee
10-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I forgot how much I hate the Ctrain. People stink, and somebody farted in my general area LOL.

megavolt
10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
I forgot how much I hate the Ctrain. People stink, and somebody farted in my general area LOL.

+1

UG... My knee is so fucked.

benyl
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Wasn't too bad today.

a social dsease
10-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Rode today, alot of black ice but I just took it super easy and made it without bailing. I'm wearing my snowboard gloves + magic mittens and my fingers are still getting cold, maybe time to head down to mec and pick up some fancier gloves?

megavolt
10-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Wasn't too bad along my route. Looks like they dumped a ton of salt yesterday.

They've got some nice glove at MEC... just bought a pair of castelli's (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5026-241/castelli-chiro-due-gloves-mens.jsp) .

Wore these (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5020-735/mec-inverno-gloves-unisex.jsp) last winter with poggies (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5019-300/mec-northstar-cycling-pogies-unisex.jsp). The poggies keep the wind off of your hands and insulate a little bit so you don't have to wear super huge gloves.

My new gloves with the poggies is almost perfect.

benyl
10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I bit it today.

Got these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5020-733/mec-coldspell-gloves-unisex.jsp

They are awesome.

megavolt
10-30-2012, 10:53 AM
My wife wears those gloves, says they're nice and warm. I like having fingers.

a social dsease
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Rode in today, great weather!

megavolt
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Tomorrow will be a little colder. ;)

Actually rode the whole 17K today. Been getting in the bad habit of driving halfway even on the nice days.

Finally gave the bikes a tuneup (first of the winter)... been neglecting them. Another bad habit.

Wife is still riding with me. Bought her the new Lake winter riding boots from MEC... don't ask how much those were...

phreezee
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Deraileur cable broke yesterday and I had to ride home in low gear. Also replacing a brake cable that had been sticking, already replaced the vbrake itself.

Maintenance costs so far this winter, $35.

megavolt
12-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Have to replace the rear brake cables on both our bikes. Whenever it gets below -5 they stick. Guess I'll do that tonight.

Moonracer
12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
^^^
Tip: spray some WD40 inside the cable housing or another spray lube as it won't thicken up when it gets cold out and get so sticky.

mork
12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
...my pal's mileage has hardly dropped since summer - he is still 200-300 km per week. I have to get off my ass. I have RTCC and three fondos this summer.

I do this every winter. :(

a social dsease
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I got transferred back downtown last week (therefore no more free parking) so I've biked in everyday this week. Great weather! And it's actually light out on the way home which is quite nice. Anyone else taken advantage of the warm temps? Supposed to stay nice next week too!

Still having problems keeping my hands warm. I'm wearing magic mittens + biking gloves + snowboard gloves + poggies and my finger tips are still going numb even though it was only -6C this AM. Got to figure something out before it gets colder.....

megavolt
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Personally I'm hating this weather... wish it would just stay cold. The combo of warm in the day and freezing at night produces unpredictable icy conditions. Last week both my wife and I fell in the same spot, studded tires just scratched their way sideways as we rode down a hill of black ice. Sigh.

As for the hands... are you constricting bloodflow with all those layers? I wear my winter biking gloves and I'm fine once I get going and my core warms up. When it gets colder the poggies go on and I'm still fine with just my light(ish) gloves.

I wear these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5026-241/castelli-chiro-due-gloves-mens.jsp

HHURICANE1
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I have this afternoon off so I'm gonna try to get some miles in. I've only ridden a couple of times since September so I really need to get some spin on. :(

swak
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
^^^
Tip: spray some WD40 inside the cable housing or another spray lube as it won't thicken up when it gets cold out and get so sticky.

Never use wd40 on your bike... Ever.

Use a dry lube and drip on line.
Spray is unnecessary and gets everywhere.

But only been riding on my trainer thus far haha... Which sucks. Once this snow blows over, I have positive prospects!