PDA

View Full Version : New Kia Sportage vs New Ford Escape

austic
11-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Need opinions between the two. My girlfriend is trying to decide between the two. both are coming out about the same price but the Kia has a few more options for the price. I did some research but I don’t have much experience with these brands.

Thanks!

Hage69
11-03-2011, 02:36 PM
none

G-ZUS
11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hage69
none

:facepalm: Care to explain why?

Hage69
11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Kia's have shitty resales, and that gen escape has the worst interior, and there not good for trips longer than like a half hour

Disoblige
11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't know much about the Ford Escape but the new Sportage looks like super fun!

If you are considering the SX model that is..

260 HP, turbocharged. Weee!
Plus the new look of the Sportage isn't too shabby either. Ex-Audi designer knows what he's doing :)

schocker
11-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I would go for the escape. The escape has improved quite a bit in the last few years in both quality and features. It seems pretty capable and a big factor here is that it would generally hold its value better than the KIA. One thing to think about though is that the next gen escape will be coming out likely next year and will include much better engine options as opposed to the current ones.

Hallowed_point
11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I would go Escape, not a ford guy but I think it is the better pick out of the two

clem24
11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Neither. But then again, I am biased as I don't like SUVs/CUVs. I'd go for something like a Mazda 3 if she wants a hatch (and planning on FWD only) or even a Golf. But if I had to pick from the 2, I'd go for the Kia.

The Escape is based on a *very* old design. It was first introduced in 2000 as the Mazda Tribute and then rebadged as the Escape. They made some minor updates in between but overall, it's the same car. They've milked it for 11 years. I believe a redesigned one is right around the corner.

The Kia is your typical Kia; unrefined - and without needing to say anything here, you'll start noticing the little things that they could've easily done better as well as needing a really good lesson in suspension tuning. But then again, you're comparing it to a 11 year old design.

I do generally like the look of the Kia, except for one thing: they tried to keep everything low to the ground, including the suspension; so basically it's got the height of an SUV, but not the wheel gap. As a result, I think it looks WEIRD. It looks like an over-sized SMART car. Giant body on tiny little wheels. The Kia isn't as bad as the Tuscon, but it's all I notice when I see it.

I still don't understand why people love to pay more money to get inferior handling and increased roll over risk and whatever else that comes with it. Ah well.

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Ford > Kia

I really don't think this gen of Kia's will stand the test of time. I might be a little biased as I bought a 2010 F150 last year, but Ford has really come a long way.

I agree that the redesign of the Escape will probably be out right away, so because of that I'd either wait it out a bit or look at one of the other recently refreshed ford models.

But even if it has to be between one of those two, I'd still take the Escape myself. We looked at one and quite liked it, but wanted something a little bigger.

Rat Fink
11-03-2011, 04:24 PM

A790
11-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I own both a Ford and a Kia. ;)

Honestly, drive them both and see what makes you happiest. Unless you're planning on having the vehicle for 5+ years both should suit you just fine for the foreseeable future.

Team_Mclaren
11-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by A790
I own both a Ford and a Kia. ;)

Honestly, drive them both and see what makes you happiest. Unless you're planning on having the vehicle for 5+ years both should suit you just fine for the foreseeable future.

Doesnt matter if she wants to keep it for 5+ years or not, they are still shitty buys.

If she does plan on keeping it, it'll be out of warranty and problems will surface after 5 years.

If she doesnt want to keep it, it'll be worthless in 5 years. cant sell, cant trade... going to be forced to keep it, in which case, see point #1.

edit: which model is she looking at, pricing out the Kia and Ford they can go up to mid 30s, which is fucking ridiculous for what they are. Go with the logical choice, get a rav4 or crv. Even a Nissan Rouge is better....

A790
11-04-2011, 01:03 AM
The logical choice being a boring Rav4 or CRV? Please.

The Escape is a decent SUV for the price, and the 260HP turbo in the Sportage is pretty fun to drive. It's obvious that you don't have any experience with either vehicle.

OP: drive them, see which one does it for you. It's that simple.

In the 1.5 years I've had my Kia it hasn't let me down once, and my Mustang gets beat on daily and is still humming along just fine. The last Nissan that I owned, however...