PDA

View Full Version : Installed new ram, now will not boot into Windows

nismodrifter
11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Continued from my previous thread.

Had 2 bad sticks of ram, so I went out and got 2 x 1gb sticks to run.

Mobo = Asus A8n-E
Ram = http://www.corsair.com/vs1gb400c3.html
2 x (1gb PC3200 400mhz)

After installing 2 sticks the PC boots up, but right before loading Windows the screen goes black and then reboots.

Computer is set to NOT reboot on system failure, but it does so anyways. No BSOD's or anything of that sort.

- I pulled 1 stick to see if anything changes, the same thing happens.

- Went into BIOS and changed the latency settings to match the ram installed. Same thing happens, keeps rebooting right before it loads Windows.

- Put my old POS sticks in and PC works fine, slow as FUARK though because only 512mb

Any ideas as to WTF I can do to resolve this issue?

Kg810
11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Any beeps happening? If so, post the beep sequence.

Did you try other ram slots? Take one of the new sticks and put it in each slot starting from the slot closest to the CPU.

When you changed the latency you are changing it to 200Mhz right?

I'd also consider updating/flashing your BIOS through a usb drive.

HHURICANE1
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Old ram works, new does not....new ram likely bad. Take it back and exchange it. It's happened to me before.

nismodrifter
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Just came back from MemEX after swapping the ram for Patriot sticks (which is what I had initially wanted, but they couldn't find them last night).

Popped one of them in, PC boots up, wicked.

Then I ran into what seems to be a slot issue when I tried installing the 2nd stick.

Manual says to populate the black slots first. Tried that, no go. Tried both sticks in blue slots, no go. Now I am running 1 stick in a blue slot, 1 stick in a black slot.

Will this have any effect performance wise?

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

PC works now. Gotta recover all my parents data now. FUkkkkk.

Kg810
11-03-2011, 05:11 PM
That confirms one of my thoughts.. your ram slots are busted and I believe it was a common issue for your MB. Do a quick search on google with for "Asus A8n-E dual channel issues" and you'll find similar stories. Some people have found ways around it some got it RMA'd.

I can try to find some links later if you are unable to.

Mar
11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a A8N-E for sale.

googe
11-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I had that issue with that mobo. It's collecting dust because I'm too lazy to RMA anything ever.

Mar
11-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Mine works fine. Make me an offer.

clem24
11-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Will this have any effect performance wise?

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Ya just sounds like the mobo is having issues with dual channel. It's possible it doesn't like the combo of 1GB in the dual slots but 512 works fine. So it just means you lose dual channel... Big whoop. It's been shown that the speed advantage of dual channel vs. single is very minimal at best. So if it works, you're fine.