PDA

View Full Version : Just got into car sales

SkittleFreak
11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
So I just got into car sales, Honda, and what are some good tips to increase business and customer base?

Rat Fink
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Ryan Shawcross
11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't be another sleazebag with an expensive suit and gel in your hair. You're impressing nobody.

kvg
11-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
expensive suit

:rofl:

SkittleFreak
11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
We have a dress code of either a coat or a tie. You don't need both, and nicer pants

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I could probably go on forever, but this will get you started:

• Understand that people buy things from people they like
• Understand that people like people that remind them of themselves
• Learn how to read peoples body language
• Learn about mirroring people
• Learn about real sales techniques and don't get caught doing the usual information upchuck, that's what websites and commercials are for
• Know when and how to ask for the sale
• If you say you'll get back to someone by Friday, make sure you've called them no later than Thursday
• Read and remember EVERYTHING in "How to win friends and influence people" and get comfortable using all the techniques in the book
• Don't be the nice guy
• Make sure you follow up with a courtesy call to all your clients after the purchase
• Send them a birthday card for their car when it turns 1 year old, and every year after if they still have it
• When someone quits or gets fired, do the above two steps to all of their clients from the past year
• Ask your clients for referrals
• Spend $100 on toys at the dollar store for potential clients with kids, if you don’t you’ll lose sales because the kids get bored or cranky so the parents leave
• Use the kids to your advantage, have a better gift like a free movie pass for the family or a Gameboy, if the parents are close to signing but still on the fence, put the item IN the kids hands and tell them they can keep it if their parents buy the car
• When someone says “I’ll be back” understand that 98% of them are lying

SkittleFreak
11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
I could probably go on forever, but this will get you started:

• Understand that people buy things from people they like
• Understand that people like people that remind them of themselves
• Learn how to read peoples body language
• Learn about mirroring people
• Learn about real sales techniques and don't get caught doing the usual information upchuck, that's what websites and commercials are for
• Know when and how to ask for the sale
• If you say you'll get back to someone by Friday, make sure you've called them no later than Thursday
• Read and remember EVERYTHING in "How to win friends and influence people" and get comfortable using all the techniques in the book
• Don't be the nice guy
• Make sure you follow up with a courtesy call to all your clients after the purchase
• Send them a birthday card for their car when it turns 1 year old, and every year after if they still have it
• When someone quits or gets fired, do the above two steps to all of their clients from the past year
• Ask your clients for referrals
• Spend $100 on toys at the dollar store for potential clients with kids, if you don’t you’ll lose sales because the kids get bored or cranky so the parents leave
• Use the kids to your advantage, have a better gift like a free movie pass for the family or a Gameboy, if the parents are close to signing but still on the fence, put the item IN the kids hands and tell them they can keep it if their parents buy the car
• When someone says “I’ll be back” understand that 98% of them are lying

I understand most of those. Did like 4 days solid of training, 2 days of product training, 2 days for customer relations. They definitely hammered into me how to deal with people in the new way, not old car sales. It's "People first". Don't aim for a sale, aim for relationship and what they want. Because if they trust you, and you sell them something that fits in their life, it will sell.

I should have presented more into the initial question. I want to broaden my sales aside from staying in my dealership. I want to get sales without waiting for them to come to me, but me to go to them. Where could I go? What could I do? How would I advertise other then word of mouth?

adam c
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
my recent gripe after buying my new vehicle
had an issue, contacted sales person and manager, didn't hear anything for 3 days and was told to call the service department, nothing other than that was given

/is not impressed

FraserB
11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Know what you are selling. If you don't know something about the car, don't guess or outright lie. Odds are that someone will call you on it and its a guaranteed lost sale.

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak

I understand most of those. Did like 4 days solid of training, 2 days of product training, 2 days for customer relations. They definitely hammered into me how to deal with people in the new way, not old car sales. It's "People first". Don't aim for a sale, aim for relationship and what they want. Because if they trust you, and you sell them something that fits in their life, it will sell.

I should have presented more into the initial question. I want to broaden my sales aside from staying in my dealership. I want to get sales without waiting for them to come to me, but me to go to them. Where could I go? What could I do? How would I advertise other then word of mouth?

The whole don't aim for the sale thing is bull shit. A salesman's main priority is closing the deal. That should be your one and only goal. You're not after relationships, you're after sales. The rest is kind of true, obviously they have to want the car and it has to fit their lifestyle. If you remind them of themselves, they will automatically trust you.

Personally, I think trying to get people in to see you is a waste of time and energy, that's the dealerships job. They will most likely have more than enough walk in traffic to support the top few guys, you just have to know how to be one of the top guys. If you really want to do well, don't hang around with the guys chatting, don't take breaks, don't leave for lunch, bring it with you and eat it in a place where you can see the walk in traffic that comes in, if you see someone walk onto the lot, don't be affraid to let your lunch get cold because you dropped it for a walk in client. If you're not with a client, you need to be waiting for one and the first one they see and talk to when they get there.

It will take you years to be able to smoothly do the above list without having to think about every step. IMO even worry about bringing people in from other sources.

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Know what you are selling. If you don't know something about the car, don't guess or outright lie. Odds are that someone will call you on it and its a guaranteed lost sale.

Sure, don't lie about it. But I don't really agree about having to know too much about it, most people don't care how many horsepower it has or what the rim size is. It's a slippery slope and a lot of people that start down that road end up doing the information upchuck. Most of the people that care about that stuff have alredy done their research online. Cars are purchased on emotion, not logic or facts.

Another good one is if someones not showing emotion, you need to get the emotional pendulum swinging. I've gone as far as insulting someone to get that going, then bringing it back from the negative side to the positive side. But that's a whole nother sales lesson in itself.

SkittleFreak
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Well I understand the whole "not about the people" as well. It's just about the training. I took what I thought of from my past sales experience.

But it was things I saw from other sales people which would increase their rapport because of taking up details which another department was unable to fufill because they were busy or didn't want to deal with it. IE customer wanted to do a buy out on a vehicle, was supposed to go to the business/financial part of the dealership, customer couldn't reach them, the INITIAL sales person got the call, then went on his own to go and talk to the business office to settle out the details so that the customer was happy. He made nothing for the 30 minutes of work he did.

It's about the rapport.

As well, the computer system we have is good, and it forces us to call customers, and if you don't 3 managers are on your ass about it. I so far feel as if I have a good grasp on things, but I carry my binder with me filled with all the models, makes, features, colors, etc... and tell customers up front "I am new. I apologize if there is any inconveniences but I will get you all the information you need"
The binder I feel is important because even if I was experienced, I could always be unsure.

Disoblige
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
This.

Lying or guessing when you're not sure is a big no-no. Not only does it make you look bad, but the customer will see it as a huge lack of respect.

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Well I understand the whole "not about the people" as well. It's just about the training. I took what I thought of from my past sales experience.

But it was things I saw from other sales people which would increase their rapport because of taking up details which another department was unable to fufill because they were busy or didn't want to deal with it. IE customer wanted to do a buy out on a vehicle, was supposed to go to the business/financial part of the dealership, customer couldn't reach them, the INITIAL sales person got the call, then went on his own to go and talk to the business office to settle out the details so that the customer was happy. He made nothing for the 30 minutes of work he did.

It's about the rapport.

As well, the computer system we have is good, and it forces us to call customers, and if you don't 3 managers are on your ass about it. I so far feel as if I have a good grasp on things, but I carry my binder with me filled with all the models, makes, features, colors, etc... and tell customers up front "I am new. I apologize if there is any inconveniences but I will get you all the information you need"
The binder I feel is important because even if I was experienced, I could always be unsure.

You shouldn't have to do 30 minutes worth of work for free because someone else can't do their job. If you do, do it outside of your normal sales hours, that time should be spent doing nothing but selling.

Milk the new thing, but drop the "appologize for inconveniences" part.

FraserB
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Sure, don't lie about it. But I don't really agree about having to know too much about it, most people don't care how many horsepower it has or what the rim size is. It's a slippery slope and a lot of people that start down that road end up doing the information upchuck. Most of the people that care about that stuff have alredy done their research online. Cars are purchased on emotion, not logic or facts.

Last year I was at the dealer getting them to look at something and was poking around the showroom a bit. I was looking at a 2010 Grand Cherokee and asked the salesman if he knew anyone who had taken one offroad. Got fed a line about low range gearing, lockers and the amazing flex of an IFS vehicle.

If you're going to outright lie to me on a random question, what is it going be like when I try to buy the vehicle?

I would rather have the new guy who has to take 5 minutes to look something up than the guy with 30 years experience who either doesn't know the vehicle he is selling or doesn't respect his customer enough to tell the truth.

SkittleFreak
11-03-2011, 07:51 PM

You shouldn't have to do 30 minutes worth of work for free because someone else can't do their job. If you do, do it outside of your normal sales hours, that time should be spent doing nothing but selling.

Milk the new thing, but drop the "appologize for inconveniences" part.

That's not how I say it, but I imply as if I am new, but during the sale if they have something I don't know I flip the binder or ask for help.

And at fraser/person who was all about techinical details.

You need to know technical details. Not for every customer. Everyone has a reason for buying a car, and there are people who come in wanting ever single spec on a car. Whether or not they know what it means if they are a mechanic or they read the website, there are customers who quiz the salesperson on questions like that so they know the salesperson is competent.

tictactoe2004
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Last year I was at the dealer getting them to look at something and was poking around the showroom a bit. I was looking at a 2010 Grand Cherokee and asked the salesman if he knew anyone who had taken one offroad. Got fed a line about low range gearing, lockers and the amazing flex of an IFS vehicle.

If you're going to outright lie to me on a random question, what is it going be like when I try to buy the vehicle?

I don't even understand what that means... Most people on this site are car enthusiasts that will know far more about the car then any salesperson will. Personally if I was selling cars I would stay far away from any real car enthusiasts, IMO they should buy a car from another car enthusiast and I'm sure every dealership has at least one. I'd be willing to bet money that none of them are the top car salesman though.

I don't agree with lying to people though, you'll shoot yourself in the foot every time.

masoncgy
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
You have to build a solid reputation and that takes a lot of time & effort on your part. You are new. You will struggle for awhile until you can get right up to speed on your product knowledge, realize a proven sales approach and 'find your groove.'

The best thing is to just work with your customers. Listen to their needs, figure out what makes them excited. Use each interaction as a learning experience and don't get mad when you lose a sale... you will lose lots, especially as a newbie.

Know your customer. Know your competition. Know your product and absolutely you must know your prices.

I've been in sales for over 12 years in various backgrounds. It's a rewarding career if you're sales material. Not everyone can do it.

Good luck.

The BMW Guy
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Great advices here.
How is the life of a sales man though?

I would think it'd be extremely stressful at times if you don't make enough to feed yourself. How do some of you handle it?

Tik-Tok
11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

To add to "calls"...
Follow up calls -

Do NOT constantly call someone who took a test drive, wondering "how things are going". Nothing is more annoying to me than having a salesman call several times over the 2 weeks after I test drove something.

If I wanted the car, I would have been back in person, you dumb salesman fuck (Is what I think, every time I see them on call display). One VW salesman called me 7 fucking times in 2 weeks.

masoncgy
11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
Great advices here.
How is the life of a sales man though?

I would think it'd be extremely stressful at times if you don't make enough to feed yourself. How do some of you handle it?

You have to be a little more prudent in budgeting your money, that's all. You will have big months and you will have small ones. Put aside some of that extra to cover over any slow periods and then just keep plugging away... sometimes you end up with multiple large months... or get yourself into a situation where you are always busy and making a good amount of money.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Do NOT constantly call someone

Yep, that's good advice. Certainly, in my current line of work I only do one follow up within a day or two of a quotation and that's more to make sure that I am not losing out due to a pricing issue. I am comfortable enough in all other aspects of my business that if I cannot close a deal, it's almost always because I'm up against a lowball from a competitor.

I will always leave the door open for someone to return to the table after a follow up... but that's it. I do not pursue it any further. People respect a salesman who knows when to back off... in fact, you can even get a referral out of it. :thumbsup:

wes_v
11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
joe verde. nuff said

Mar
11-03-2011, 11:27 PM
This is highly illegal, you can get sued for it. As a salesman on commission, you're not allowed to offer things to the customer if they sign, if the things are paid for by you.

This is to stop people from offering half their commission to the client if they buy.

tictactoe2004
11-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Mar

This is highly illegal, you can get sued for it. As a salesman on commission, you're not allowed to offer things to the customer if they sign, if the things are paid for by you.

This is to stop people from offering half their commission to the client if they buy.

I was always told realtors can't do it, but people in A/V shops or car sales could. Dunno, I never got in trouble for it but i'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. When I used to do it we actually sold those items in the store, so technically I would just include them on the invoice so I really wasn't paying for them.

Mar
11-04-2011, 01:15 AM

I was always told realtors can't do it, but people in A/V shops or car sales could. Dunno, I never got in trouble for it but i'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. When I used to do it we actually sold those items in the store, so technically I would just include them on the invoice so I really wasn't paying for them.
I'm pretty sure that's how it is, but if they're store merchandise than I was under the impression it was okay. No money out of your pocket, that's how I was told it worked when I was in commission sales.

Anton
11-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Which Honda store? (Don't answer this is it goes against Beyond's advertising rules)

I just thought it'd be good to know since there is always a thread about people looking for a Honda salesman. You seem eager to learn how to be a decent salesman so I'm sure Beyonders would want to buy from you.

DGill
11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Go watch The Goods :rofl:

Cos
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM

projekz
11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
OP, what is your ethnic background? Reason I ask is because you could expand by advertising in a specific news paper. I know most people usually feel more comfortable dealing with someone from the same background and it usually makes things easier. (although they usually expect you to be their new best friend and give them everything for free LOL).

Failing that I would advertise in community news papers. I know some dealers will help you pay for the cost of the ad and if you sell to people in your area you'll be building stronger relationships faster...think of it as buying from a neighbor.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Maxx Mazda
11-04-2011, 10:52 AM

...most people don't care how many horsepower it has or what the rim size is...

Disagree. I went to buy a new truck, (2WD Ranger) but I wanted the locking differential with the 3.0L engine and automatic. The salesman didn't even know what I was talking about, so rather than look it up, he just lied and said "it's not available anymore" so I walked straight outta there. After showing him the "build your own truck" printout I had made moments earlier on Ford.ca of course.

leftwing
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
More on the topic of getting more clients from various ways:

Always be advertising--maybe on facebook (or twitter?, dont know how it works) keep people updated with the dealers latest financing promotion or the latest 'free' upgrades offered or something. Not only will it keep your profession in peoples minds (you will be first on their mind when the topic comes up) but it may help people get over the hump to come in a buy ('Joe's' mom was thinking about buying a new accord and joe notice's your facebook status offering 0% financing on new accords, joe will probably tell his mom and she may come in..)

I know it works for me, I have a few friends on facebook that I haven't talked to since high school but I know exactly where they work and all the promotions their business offers because they always have info on facebook.

Another thing, which you probably know, is everyone you meet, let them know where you work and what you do. Don't be obnoxious about it, but work it into the conversation.

Good luck

corsvette
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

To add to "calls"...
Follow up calls -

Do NOT constantly call someone who took a test drive, wondering "how things are going". Nothing is more annoying to me than having a salesman call several times over the 2 weeks after I test drove something.

If I wanted the car, I would have been back in person, you dumb salesman fuck (Is what I think, every time I see them on call display). One VW salesman called me 7 fucking times in 2 weeks.

This. I absolutley hate being pestered by salesmen doing "follow up" calls. I called a dealership a few weeks back to ask a few questions about a vehicle in inventory. He said he was unsure if he had any more of the particular "advertised sepecials" i was after, so he took my number to get back to me. He called back about an hour later with the info i requested, he phoned every other day for a week asking when i will be in for a test drive. To me this is very pushy and bothersome.

Later that day, I called another dealership, i asked a simple question about a vehicle they had advertised, without answering my question the sales guy asked my name and number he could call me back "you know, in case we get cut off" i knew exactly where this was leading so i just told him "never mind" and hung up.

Mibz
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

Disagree. I went to buy a new truck, (2WD Ranger) but I wanted the locking differential with the 3.0L engine and automatic. The salesman didn't even know what I was talking about, so rather than look it up, he just lied and said "it's not available anymore" so I walked straight outta there. After showing him the "build your own truck" printout I had made moments earlier on Ford.ca of course. I'm with tictactoe here. I'd bet that if you know the available engine sizes of a model then you're already in the minority of car buyers. Obviously your salesman shouldn't have lied, but not knowing all the relevant stats isn't going to lose him a sale except in rare and hilarious circumstances.

mazda_maniac
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
^ agreed. The only ones that will care are the ones that have an interest in vehicles; the majority of people care about looks, comfort, safety over horsepower, and engine displacement.

The majority of people don't even understand what a differential is let alone a locking one. Should the guy have lied? Of course not.

01RedDX
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Mar
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Being personal and knowledgeable is very key, I love my Honda dealership.

Chris in parts.
John in service.
Laurence in sales.

I got my 3 guys I go see for anything I need and if they're not working, I'll wait and come back when they are. They've treated me great in the past, Laurence actually came in on his day off to show a car for my friend. That's service.

Sorath
11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Lawrence is not in the car business anymore.

Mar
11-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
Lawrence is not in the car business anymore.
I just saw him a month ago. He's done? Damnit.

Sorath
11-04-2011, 09:11 PM
you talking about lawrence wong right? hes been selling homes for jayman for a couple of months now

sillysod
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I just purchased 3 trucks in the last 2 months.

I can tell you that many of the sales men are lazy turds.

I went to Shaw to look at a Colorado and was kind of sold on it. Talked briefly to a sales guy and told him I needed something quickly and didn't have time to dicker on price. To get me a price by email by the end of the day and I would talk to him in the morning. I was planning on getting accounting to cut a cheque that afternoon so that I could go over and pick it up in the morning.

Well 2 days later no response. Went to Fish Creek Nissan to look at the Frontier instead and ended up having a cheque to him with in 2 hours of getting the price.

Went to Maclin Ford to buy a Ranger. Stood around the yard for 20 minutes and went inside the show room and stood around again. Talked to the girl at the desk and she said she'd page someone. Waited another 5 minutes and left.

Showed up at Woodridge 30 minutes later and with in 5 minutes of being in the yard had a salesman approach me. I bought the truck on the spot and left.

Went back to Shaw (used departement) to buy a low mileage 2011 F250 they had there last Saturday. Talked to the sales guy and he said he was busy, but would find the information and call me back. I told him to call me back with in the hour because I had to go out of town. No call, nothing.

Went back on Monday, talked to another sales guy and had the truck at our shop at the end of the day. When I was signing the paper work the first guy came by and was clearly not happy that I came back and didn't track him down to buy the truck from him.

Worst one.

Went to Land Rover Calgary because my wife wanted a Range Rover Sport. Talked to the sales man and he said he was tied up and if I could come back in an hour. So we left and browsed around a few dealerships.

I had to run to SouthCentre VW to pick up a bulb for my Audi and she sat in the Passat 4wd wagon in the show room. Took it for a test drive and saved $30,000 buying it over the Range Rover (I never thought in 1,000,000 yrs my wife would like a wagon so I never even proposed it).

COLES NOTES:

Tried to buy vehicles from various dealerships, sales guys didn't get back to me.

Went elsewhere and bought vehicle.

A790
11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
The best advice you will ever receive: learn how to become comfortable with the diagnostic sales process.

Listen to your customers needs and only respond once you feel you have a solution that meets them. Then explain your solution about why it makes sense for them and how it meets their needs.

Diagnostic sales. Guaranteed to help you kick ass.

dingmah
11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish there was a self-check out style way of purchasing vehicles. Like most people on this forum, I already know what car I wanna buy with what options and specs before I walk into the dealership. More often than not, the car sales guy make me not wanna buy the car once they do any of the little stupid circus acts (all the things that Cos mentioned).

For all the other uninformed public who are too lazy to do their research, let loose the car sales guys on them.

mugensix
11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Went to Canyon creek toyota, and was looking at some stuff for the 4Runner, and this fucking retarded asshole of a salesperson (Brown) Was literally forcing me to buy a corrolla. I kept telling him i owned a new 4Runner... Finally sat down in his office and a call from the GF saved me from his annoying voice of doom!

-Dont be that guy please..

lauphman
11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
For all the reasons already posted I've bought my last 2 new vechicles over the phone. I just call all the dealerships until I get the price I want over the phone. Takes some time since there response is always please come in and sit down so we can talk but much faster then just going into 1 dealership. As close as u get to a self check out lol.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

wtf im nameless
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I might try this, nothing bothers me more than going in and haggling for the price they should just offer up front.

Now if I could just somehow get around having to deal with the 'gimmick manager' or whatever they call the guy you have to deal with after you have already agreed to a deal with the salesman. You have to sit there through an hour and a half of nonsense while he tries to sell you undercoating, 3rd party warranties, paint protection and other useless garbage.

If you want results you need to be willing to play the game. Salesman are in sales to make money, they only get a percentage of the profit... if they gave away the profit in every deal they wouldn't make any money. Once the average salesman has invested time with someone, they don't want to lose the entire deal so they'll be more inclined to offer a discount.

Think of it like trying to pick up a chick in the bar, you're not going to have as much luck if you just walk up to a random chick and tell her you want to go have sex.

swak
11-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

Think of it like trying to pick up a chick in the bar, you're not going to have as much luck if you just walk up to a random chick and tell her you want to go have sex.

Wait.... This isn't how its done??? :bigpimp:

But thats actually the truth.
Im a parts guy, also commission, and sometimes i find myself spending 3/4 an hour with someone explaining x y and z regards to what they want. To then have them take what i told them (use me as an encyclopedia) and go buy their parts online for super cheap in India, is really frustrating.

cloud7
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I've gone as far as insulting someone to get that going, then bringing it back from the negative side to the positive side. But that's a whole nother sales lesson in itself.

That's an absolute no no. You might get a sale that time, but not in the long run. I have seen many people walk out just because of getting insulted. You have to remember that they holds the cards and they can just walk out at anytime and find someone at another dealer that can sell them the car.

Hallowed_point
11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Whatever you do , do not grow a goatee , shave your head & buy your sales clothing from International Clothiers.

swak
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
oh, and in addition to my last post, be nice to the parts guys...
They can make your life rad, or not so rad. :thumbsup:

zipdoa
11-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Overcome objections. Create urgency. Preception is reality. Dance to the music that is being played.

SkittleFreak
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I definitely quit this job already.
I was promised good sales
Looked into it and talked to people
Shit was going downhill.
Managers didn't give a shit about me
I was quite bored sitting around for 6-7 hours of the day
they wanted me to work 10 hours with less then a 20 minute break.
So now i'm bartending

project240
11-24-2011, 08:45 PM
:rofl:

That didn't last long. Some people can sell and some people can't, simple as that. As long as the dealership has traffic, good sellers can make money.

What dealership was this at anyways? Did I miss it being mentioned earlier?

project240
11-24-2011, 08:46 PM

What do you mean? Maybe they promised more traffic/leads, but obviously as a salesperson it's up to you to close the deal.

wtf im nameless
11-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Shit was going downhill.
So now i'm bartending

Yep, sales isn't for everyone and starting out is hard. Hope the new job works out better for you. It's always one year minimum before you start doing well in sales, and that's if you're naturally good at it.

ExtraSlow
11-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, you didn't return my PM asking some pretty basic questions about your product, so maybe it's good that you quit.

Sales of any kind is a real grind. Auto sales is one of the toughest.

Hope you find an enjoyable career somewhere.

Rat Fink
11-25-2011, 07:49 AM

project240
11-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
It's for the best anyways. Car sales blows. I know a salesman...

Depends on the person. I know a multimillionaire who started as a salesman and now owns 20+ dealerships.

I think there is a lot of potential if you are a natural salesperson, even if you know nothing about cars. You can't teach someone how to sell, but anybody can learn a product.

Sorath
11-25-2011, 02:07 PM
tough time of year to get into the industry

SkittleFreak
11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Well, you didn't return my PM asking some pretty basic questions about your product, so maybe it's good that you quit.

Sales of any kind is a real grind. Auto sales is one of the toughest.

Hope you find an enjoyable career somewhere.
I quit over a week ago. you messaged me 3 days ago. I don't go on beyond often

03ozwhip
11-25-2011, 03:04 PM
already? why did you quit?

IRL
11-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Shit was going downhill.
So now i'm bartending

How old are you? You gave this place 2 weeks at best and you quit, not very mature. You wasted the dealership's time, you didn't sell any vehicles or attempt to by sitting bored for 7 hours a day.

Sales obviously wasn't for you...I will take a double rye and coke thank you.

FraserB
11-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I can almost guarantee if you put me in any Chrysler dealer, I could sell one car in the first 72 hours. LOL at OP.

zipdoa
11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
It's for the best anyways. Car sales blows. I know a salesman who had to move back in with parents to be able to afford to live. He's been at it two years now and is FINALLY one of the top guys in the dealership, but its been a lot of sacrifice to get to that point.

...the worst is when you get into a sales department that is full of old geezer salesmen. You can't break up the old boys club, and you'll never fit in or get help if you are a young guy. Most toxic environment for a newbie IMO.

I have to disagree. Sales definitely isn't for everyone, but for charasmatic induviduals working at the right dealership, it can easily translate into $10k+ a month.

Some people just don't have it in them, don't know how to hold gross, don't know how to overcome objections and fail at dealing with pressure. Those are the people selling 6 cars a month and making $40k a year.

project240
11-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

I have to disagree. Sales definitely isn't for everyone, but for charasmatic induviduals working at the right dealership, it can easily translate into $10k+ a month.

Some people just don't have it in them, don't know how to hold gross, don't know how to overcome objections and fail at dealing with pressure. Those are the people selling 6 cars a month and making $40k a year.

Honest question... Do you think someone who has a history of great sales (telemarketing, marketing, customer service, etc) and is a proven seller, but has absolutely no prior car knowledge can make 10k+ in a month after learning the product (vehicles)? Obviously this wouldn't happen overnight, but say within 12-15 months?

Edit * I'm not asking for myself... I know I would suck at sales :rofl: *

wtf im nameless
11-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by project240

Honest question... Do you think someone who has a history of great sales (telemarketing, marketing, customer service, etc) and is a proven seller, but has absolutely no prior car knowledge can make 10k+ in a month after learning the product (vehicles)? Obviously this wouldn't happen overnight, but say within 12-15 months?

No way to answer that other than saying maybe... in a call center you have calls coming to you one at a time, an open floor environment where the first guy that walks up to a client gets him is totally different. That's why the top guys are called sharks and the sales floor is called a shark tank... it's a totally different environment.

Ryan Shawcross
11-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Soon enough all auto sales will be done over the internet - which thankfully means no more sleazy oil upped car salesmen trying to scam you. When I bought my car, I did most of it over the internet and phone. Went on car cost canada and got a few dealerships bidding against each other. Why should I be expected to pay more for a vehicle than they pay? I would have just bought it directly from Honda Canada instead of going through a dealership if that service had been made available to me. Matter of time folks. Matter of time.

project240
11-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
Soon enough all auto sales will be done over the internet - which thankfully means no more sleazy oil upped car salesmen trying to scam you. When I bought my car, I did most of it over the internet and phone. Went on car cost canada and got a few dealerships bidding against each other. Why should I be expected to pay more for a vehicle than they pay? I would have just bought it directly from Honda Canada instead of going through a dealership if that service had been made available to me. Matter of time folks. Matter of time.

I disagree with your first statement, I doubt that will happen. I don't want to buy a new car without test driving it first and neither do most people.

Would you be more apt to buy from a 25-30 year old female who knows less about the actual cars or a 50-60 year old "sleazy oil upped" man who knows everything about the car?

Dealerships take their cut, just like everything else in life. You really think people are all going to buy cars online without ever actually sitting in/driving them beforehand? Drop 50K because it looks good in a picture? I think not.

ExtraSlow
11-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Would you be more apt to buy from a 25-30 year old female who knows less about the actual cars or a 50-60 year old "sleazy oil upped" man who knows everything about the car?
the crazy thing is that some of these long time salesmen don't actually know their products very well.
From my experience, it's less than half, regardless of age.

zipdoa
11-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Yes, absolutely. My partner that I work with right now made $11k his first month - granted that was August (very busy, good programs) and he sold 18 cars to make that happen, but it's absolutely possible.

Consistently making over $10k a month requires excellent followup and lots of referrals. That's why bouncing from dealership to dealership kills you - those guys aren't following up and aren't getting referrals, so it's basically starting from square one each time.

I do partiallly agree with the Internet statement, but out of the 150+ Cars I've sold in the past year and half, I've only had two customers buy sight unseen. I work in my companies Internet Sales Department, so I only get Internet Leads, and it's busy as hell. I love working with people online because you get to build rapport before you meet them in person.

There's maybe 1 out of 40 customers that come in with Car Cost, but the only time that works is on units that we're desperate to sell. Try getting Car Cost on a Rogue and management will tell you to pound sand.

tirebob
11-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Man... The best advice I can ever give anyone who wants to be successful is so damn simple it is ridiculous! All this how to be successful at sales etc BS can bog a guy down and turn them into exactly what people hate about sales people. The simple basics of it all is this...

Listen to your customers needs and help them get what works best for them at the best value possible to achieve this. That is it...

Always remember that a happy customer is worth a lot more over the next 20+ years coming back happy time and time again when compared to somebody you made a lot of money on once, but they maybe got talked into something they didn't really need and figured it out later and never comes back again. Word of mouth from satisfied customers makes you WAYYYYYYY more money than clever sales tactics...

masoncgy
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Listen to your customers needs and help them get what works best for them at the best value possible to achieve this. That is it...

Spot on.

The only thing I would add is to know your products and know them well: specs, features, pricing & consumer reviews. If you can't demonstrate confidence in your ability to sell product, you won't sell much at all.

I find this extremely critical in my line of work. I make a lot of money off of other salesmen who don't know what they're talking about.

tirebob
11-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Spot on.

The only thing I would add is to know your products and know them well: specs, features, pricing & consumer reviews. If you can't demonstrate confidence in your ability to sell product, you won't sell much at all.

I find this extremely critical in my line of work. I make a lot of money off of other salesmen who don't know what they're talking about. Agreed for sure... It goes hand in hand with knowing what will work for a customers needs. Still though, I am willing to work with someone who may not know his products though and through "IF" they are the honest type of person who just says something like "good question, but to be honest I am not 100% certain of that... Let me get the right answer for you!" and goes to get me the info...

We all are constantly learning, and that person finding me my answer will probably remember it forever, and knowing someone will work for my answer is just as important as someone knowing it on the spot...

project240
11-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Assuming you are buying a new car from a dealership, any preference to dealing with a male vs female with the same amount of knowledge on the product?

Again, what about buying from a 50something male vs 20something female, in this case assuming the older male has more knowledge?

(I have a bit of an ulterior motive for asking these questions...)

Maybe I should start a poll...

Edit: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3817737#post3817737

Cos
11-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Man... The best advice I can ever give anyone who wants to be successful is so damn simple it is ridiculous! All this how to be successful at sales etc BS can bog a guy down and turn them into exactly what people hate about sales people. The simple basics of it all is this...

Always remember that a happy customer is worth a lot more over the next 20+ years coming back happy time and time again when compared to somebody you made a lot of money on once, but they maybe got talked into something they didn't really need and figured it out later and never comes back again. Word of mouth from satisfied customers makes you WAYYYYYYY more money than clever sales tactics...

Originally posted by masoncgy

Spot on.

I find this extremely critical in my line of work. I make a lot of money off of other salesmen who don't know what they're talking about.

Considering I have bought, and continue to buy things from you two there is one other thing that you guys do well that other people dont.

If you say you are going to get back to me, get back to me. If you say you cant get back to me till wednesday for whatever reason it doesnt bother me. Just make sure you touch base on Wednesday even if you dont have my answer.

If you say you arent going to bother me, DONT FUCKING BOTHER ME. I hate that about sales man. Need to leave my cell # and DL to test drive a car without a salesman. We use your number as backup not as a way to get in touch with you. Then 2 days later you get a call asking if you still want to buy the car. Deal broken right there.

dirtsniffer
11-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Cos

If you say you are going to get back to me, get back to me. If you say you cant get back to me till wednesday for whatever reason it doesnt bother me. Just make sure you touch base on Wednesday even if you dont have my answer.

just wanted to emphasize that

swak
11-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Considering I have bought, and continue to buy things from you two there is one other thing that you guys do well that other people dont.

If you say you arent going to bother me, DONT FUCKING BOTHER ME. I hate that about sales man. Need to leave my cell # and DL to test drive a car without a salesman. We use your number as backup not as a way to get in touch with you. Then 2 days later you get a call asking if you still want to buy the car. Deal broken right there.

THIS.

I remember car shopping a fewww years back, (6-7 yrs back), and the sales lady called me non-stop for 3 weeks straight (approx every second day). Maybe it was because i was younger and she thought i was wasting her time by inquiring about a car on the lot, and took it for a test drive.
Little did they know, I was super keen on the car, and probably would have gone through with it if she wasn't arrogant.

Thats one thing i really hate about dealerships too. If you're not dressed like you are a millionaire, you're stuck with sub-par service (and its usually the lower-end dealers that are like this too).

Walked into the Porsche dealer on Macleod once (after work in jeans and a hoodie, and was asked if i wanted to take a test drive without saying much).
Owning a GM daily driver, walking into GM dealers, i'd have to ask for service to inquire about anything. Its pretty ridiculous.