PDA

View Full Version : CAI + Winter

shin0bi
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Has anyone had problems with cold air intakes on their daily drivers and Alberta's wintery climate?

I've heard from some people it's not that risky, and other people are saying its a bad idea.

What's the Beyond.ca consensus?

JustinMCS
11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I've had a CAI on my last car and on my current car 24/7/365 and no issues that I can see.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
It's more of a problem in rainy conditions, as it's possible to suck in some water. I haven't heard an issue with snow or cold.

88CRX
11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
The only issue you have with a CAI is if it gets 100% submerged in water (highly unlikely in the winter for obvious reasons) or getting too dirty from sitting in a wheel well with no fender liners.

Disoblige
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
No issues, just will get dirtier quicker when we get those very dirty slushy days.

Hallowed_point
11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I know that Injen makes a hydro shield to protect the filter from water, I'd look into that just to be on the safe side for slushy days

Tik-Tok
11-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
No issues, just will get dirtier quicker when we get those very dirty slushy days.

Not just dirtier, but outright FILTHY... really keep an eye on it and clean it often.

manny18
11-04-2011, 12:26 PM
its fine unless its low to the ground and can get water/slush sucked up into the motor. but i ran my jetta like that and u just need to be more careful

manny18
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
cold air intake..... winter=colder air ---> colder air in your intake = vtec kicks in faster yo

adidas
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The only issue you have with a CAI is if it gets 100% submerged in water

This needs to be posted in every CAI thread on the web.

J-hop
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think that is entirely true, people hydrolock plowing through puddles that aren't deep enough to submerge the filter, if you hit a puddle and completely soak your filter you have a decent chance of pulling in water I don't think you have to completely submerge it.

I'd just pull it for the winter if you are concerned, they don't add noticeable power, they are essentially just for show, why people risk hydrolock for appearance/sound is beyond me.

n1zm0
11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/340781/cai-question/

OriginalGoods
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I started my rex once when it was submerged my wheels were half covered . Sucked water in and since its less dense then oil it crepped past my piston rings to my oil. I had to do 2 oil changes and break clean the inside of my valve cover .

Disoblige
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by OriginalGoods
I started my rex once when it was submerged..
Stop reading right there.

J-hop
11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I started my rex once when it was submerged my wheels were half covered . Sucked water in and since its less dense then oil it crepped past my piston rings to my oil. I had to do 2 oil changes and break clean the inside of my valve cover .

Water is not less dense than oil...

dirtsniffer
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM

LOL, too funny on several levels... you should just stick to your missed connections thread in the spotted section

heavyfuel
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
No problems here, then again my S&B is an enclosed style, they make pre-socks for just about every filter out there too, always good to have that extra protection. Never had an issue with mine in winter.

FraserB
11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Have a pre-sock on mine, zero issues even in deep water and mud.

OriginalGoods
11-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Stop reading right there.

:banghead:

Originally posted by J-hop

Water is not less dense than oil...

your kidding me right ? you know the film when you rub oil between your fingers. and when you do the same with water you can feel your finger ? :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

LOL, too funny on several levels... you should just stick to your missed connections thread in the spotted section

whats so funny ? i should not share something i can about to other members on the board?

J-hop
11-04-2011, 08:30 PM

your kidding me right ? you know the film when you rub oil between your fingers. and when you do the same with water you can feel your finger ? :rofl: :rofl:

I highly suggest you retake highschool chemistry. Why do you think oil floats on water????? explain that one to me.

your little "test" has nothing to do with the density of the fluid....

here, just so you don't have to lift a finger. 10w30 at 15 degrees c is 875kg/m3, fresh water at the same temp is about 1000kg/m3...

happy? or do i have to explain further...

OriginalGoods
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
oil on top of water. please explain then. i would like to have clarification instead of the rundown. :thumbsup:

g-m
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
^lol I don't think he's made it to high school quite yet. If he did, he sure wasn't bright enough to get into chemistry!

:banghead:

whats so funny ? i should not share something i can about to other members on the board? jesus christ you're stupid. Just stop posting. It detracts from the forum when you spread misinformation. It brings the general knowledge base closer to your own which is VERY BAD!

edit: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=specific+gravity+of+oil
edit2: Its hard to even know where to start. You should probably just spend a few hours reading. If you had started your engine with a fully submerged intake you'd be replacing rods, not oil.

http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/hydraulic.jpg

J-hop
11-04-2011, 08:40 PM
oil on top of water. please explain then. i would like to have clarification instead of the rundown. :thumbsup:

do you understand why a rock doesn't float??? and why air is on top of water??? and subsequently why oil sits on water??? the answer is density.....

as i edited in my last post:

875kg/m3 for 10w30 at 15 degrees c
1000kg/m3 for water

im sorry but do we really have to get into this?

Disoblige
11-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Poor guy. Don't try to explain more to him. He knew his car was submerged half a wheel high and still attempted to start his car with a CAI.

And now people are trying to explain fluid density to him? I think it's too much for him to handle.

What's more sad: January 9, 1988 :rofl:

lilmira
11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Are you one of those jaywalking people from Leno?

forced_eg
11-04-2011, 10:05 PM
lol, great thread

on a side note, do you think the oil in k and n filters gets more dense on a cold day and is more of a restriction as opposed to hot days?

shin0bi
11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
In an attempt to steer this thread back on topic (though seriously?! Oil density > H20 density lol)

I think what I'll probably end up doing is just running something like this: http://www.aemintakes.com/air_filter_wraps.htm
during the winter months, and have a couple of cleaned/oiled filterheads ready for swapping in year round.

Sounds like the consensus is that smart driving and proper maintenance will prevent hydrolock from occurring.

I might even try ghetto-rigging up some kind of makeshift baffle out of polyethylene or some other plastic to redirect splashes or roadspray as well.

I may even look for an intake that can convert to SRI for winter to be on the safe side.

sillysod
11-05-2011, 02:13 PM
It is clearly dependant on the type of CAI.

I have a Carbino on my A4 and had the one from Western Motorsports on my GT and both included airboxes of some sort.

If it's just running a filter on the end of an intake pipe in the engine bay isn't a CAI. more like a HAI.

OriginalGoods
11-05-2011, 02:17 PM
If you have a bypass valve you will be ok . Its not hard to make one into a solid tube . Then you will be safe .

n1zm0
11-05-2011, 02:40 PM

is this something you actually learnt from a teacher or is this just a joke?

Maybelater
11-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by manny18
cold air intake..... winter=colder air ---> colder air in your intake = vtec kicks in faster yo

gogreen
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
In extreme cold, supplying the engine with a source of warm air would actually help it reach operating temperature sooner and operate more efficiently. So drawing air from inside the engine compartment would actually be better from an engine longevity standpoint, particularly if you're making short trips in the cold.

bignerd
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Never had a problem with winter.

Did have a problem when a summer hail storm blocked some sewer grates and also took out the power and I plowed into a foot deep puddle going 50 km/h though...

Cos
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Never had a problem when I ran them but I probably had to clean my filter 2 or 3 times.

Sugarphreak
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

dirtsniffer
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Are you trying to make OriginalGoods head exploded!?! LOL

I know I shouldn't continue this but, what you're describing here is viscosity.:love:

Disoblige
11-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Kinda like how buttermilk can slide off a 45 degree incline at a quicker velocity than Aunt Jemima pancake syrup. So essentially, the buttermilk used to make the batter for your pancakes is less 'viscosity' than the Aunt Jemima pancake syrup you use to pour on top of your hotcakes :)

Don't mistake velocity with viscosity though. Those are two entirely different things!

JZS_147
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
You can just get an Air Filter sock if you're worried

ZeeZee
11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Agree with the sock/pre filter. Much easier to wash than a whole filter.

It may cost you a couple of HP though, easily rectified with a sticker or two...

Edit: Should have read the post before this one...