PDA

View Full Version : How to Turn a Summer Job into a Full-Time Gig

bigeagle
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I was gonna graduate next may and hopefully start working full-time, but I wasn't having any luck getting responses from companies(as I have no experience). So, I started applying to summer positions and I got an offer from a major company for their summer student engineering program. But they expect their summer students to go back to school in fall. So, I am in a dilemma now.

a) should I take the summer position, go back to school in September and hope to get a permanent job in December

b) graduate in may and keep looking for a permanent position

c) negotiate with my summer employer (if its possible) and graduate in may .. try to impress them (??) and turn it to permanent job

Also, I heard all the companies are hiring crazy this year.. I don't know how its gonna be next year..

leftwing
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, option "a)" sounds useless from what I understand. Why would you go back to school for 1 semester after you graduate? Just to take random classes and pass time I assume? That shouldn't be an option if I'm understanding it correctly.

I would take the summer job in a heartbeat. Not only would it give you experience which you are lacking, but it could turn into full time once they realize that you are not going back to school. If they don't keep you on after the summer at least you got great experience and it should be that much easier to find another job soon.

bigeagle
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by leftwing
Well, option "a)" sounds useless from what I understand. Why would you go back to school for 1 semester after you graduate? Just to take random classes and pass time I assume? That shouldn't be an option if I'm understanding it correctly.

I would take the summer job in a heartbeat. Not only would it give you experience which you are lacking, but it could turn into full time once they realize that you are not going back to school. If they don't keep you on after the summer at least you got great experience and it should be that much easier to find another job soon.

The offer letter says "The criteria of Student Programs require that all candidates are currently attending and returning to a post-secondary institution. Please advise us accordingly if this is no longer valid. Your co-operation is appreciated."

So, I'm afraid Ill lose the job if I graduate in May. Also, I can split my remaining courses between winter and fall.

colsankey
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
If its a really great job, take it and sign up for an evening for furthering education class at the end of the summer to fullfill their criteria.

If you have no plans to return to school, let them know and move on, otherwise you got a mark on your name and you havn't even entered the workforce.

Calgary's a small big city and people in all the industries know each other and move from company to company over time.