PDA

View Full Version : Import list?

Chantastic
11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey I was wondering if there was anyone who knows of a compiled list of import availability according to the 15 year rule. And yes, I did some searches and I can't seem to find anything. To elaborate, I'm looking for a list of cars and the dates that they will be available for import to Canada. If they had an indicator whether or not they were available in LHD that would be a bonus.

I am specifically interested in the 8th generation Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (only RHD as far as I know). From what info I can find, the earliest were made in '96 and should be available for import now, but I can't seem to find any for sale. I tried emailing a few importers about the Galant, but no one has gotten back to me yet. Can anyone confirm its earliest production date?

Thanks.

Cooked Rice
11-05-2011, 12:14 AM
You can import just about anything that is 15 years old as long as it isn't a bus. Look in the import thread there's a link to the RIV guide there.

Chantastic
11-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Aha! I have found something.

http://www.importconcern.ca/vehicles/year-index/1995/

However, the 8th gen Galant I am looking for is not listed as a '96. Can anyone confirm it's production date?

Resurrected RA
11-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I have been looking for information on the importation of a Legnum VR4. I will be watching this thread.

Chantastic
11-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd imagine the Legnum was made the same year. It would be a sweet transition for you from the RA wagon! I almost wonder if the Galant/Legnum are available but just aren't that popular to import, mainly because hardly anyone knows what they are.

Vr4Whore
11-07-2011, 12:31 AM
just google up 2.5L tt galant vr4 and wiki will say the date they started being producing, It's late 96 I think

It's an interesting car, but you would probably have to ship parts from Japan for the 2.5L twin turbo, same for legnum.

I think I'll stick to JDM GTB legacies :)

Chantastic
11-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Yea that's the concern with most jdm cars. I wonder how much or how little it has in common for parts from the north american galant....

I wonder if any of the general maintenance parts are used on other Mitsu engines/can be found at dealers

Also, finally got a reply from one of the importers. They said they are available now. Well the Galant is, not sure about the Legnum.

Chantastic
11-07-2011, 12:42 AM
not sure why they aren't listed on any of the stock lists though...maybe it's rare that people even request them

ZZT23
11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I thought US Galants and Japanese ones are hugely different. Not only engine choices, body panels, suspension, and interior are all completely different even in the same 8th gen body.

Slightly off topic here. I am surprised as hell that this wagon comes with a 4G63T!

http://www.importconcern.ca/vehicles/index/148-mitsubishi-chariot-n43w/

Tik-Tok
11-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
You can import just about anything that is 15 years old as long as it isn't a bus. Look in the import thread there's a link to the RIV guide there.

Are they still being dicks with the windshield glass though? (CSA approved) What do you do if the car doesn't have a matching N.A. counterpart?

Chantastic
11-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I would imagine most of the body panels would be the same (save for the slap on fender flares)... obviously the bumpers are different. I just want to know if stuff as basic as oil filters are available here

and yea i realize there are reference books for that, but i wonder if any other mitsu's here use the same filter

Chantastic
11-12-2011, 11:20 AM
according to one of the importers on the VR4

'as for crossover parts there are almost all of them available locally except for certain parts only available for RHD steering components etc.'

Chantastic
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
bump! I know I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get many replies. The Evo V is available 2013, and if I could source one from Europe, that means a LHD one could be had! I tried contacting a few importers about this with no reply...

Now I tried looking for the thread but I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember the silver Mitsubishi FTO that was imported for the guy who used to own one when he lived in Europe? What was the name of that importer?

Resurrected RA
11-29-2011, 02:14 AM
VR4Whore found a nice example of a Legnum.

http://forums.jdmvip.com/1996_Mitsubishi_Legnum_VR4_5spd_JDM_Buy_amp_Sell_Section_Vendor_Sales-4013-t#post51762

Unfortunately, I can no longer drive a manual.

If I could find one like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIXqwDLZ65E&feature=relmfu

For less than 500,000 yen delivered to Vancouver, it would be great.

BigBadVlad
11-30-2011, 02:29 PM
It's a 2.5L V6 Twin turbo

http://www.braveautointernational.jp/vehicleFront/483/mitsubishi-legnum-vr4-turbo-awd/1.html

JfuckinC
11-30-2011, 02:46 PM
how come no one has imported any R33 GT-R's?

n1zm0
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

i saw a silver one here at the end of summer with BC plates, maybe it's a fad now? from what i've seen for prices though, the R33 GTRs are a bit higher priced than the R32 GTRs when they first started coming here.

jdmsource
11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
we have imported quite a few R33 GTR's:)

Chantastic
11-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I've seen a few R33's. Not many, much less than I expected. I think a lot of people are waiting for the R34. I may consider teaching english over in japan for a year in 2013. By the time I come back, I could bring an R34 with me. heh.

Chantastic
11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by jdmsource
we have imported quite a few R33 GTR's:)

Are you guys ever looking into importing Japanese cars (like Evo's) from Europe?

And are you importing any Galant/Legnum VR4's?

calgaryFTO
12-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Chantastic
bump! I know I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get many replies. The Evo V is available 2013, and if I could source one from Europe, that means a LHD one could be had! I tried contacting a few importers about this with no reply...

Now I tried looking for the thread but I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember the silver Mitsubishi FTO that was imported for the guy who used to own one when he lived in Europe? What was the name of that importer?

Hey dude, that was me. Brought it in with Sean @ Zen

Chantastic
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
PM'ed!

msommers
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I can't wait until I can get my hands on an R34 GTR VSpecII :drool:

Chantastic
12-02-2011, 07:31 PM
^ Would make a super fun daily driver is what I'm thinking.

DboyNismo
12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Didn't they only make like a 1000 r34 GTR VSpec IIs? Or are my facts mixed up??

Resurrected RA
12-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by DboyNismo
Didn't they only make like a 1000 r34 GTR VSpec IIs? Or are my facts mixed up??

According to the production numbers on Wiki

V-Spec II = 5,512

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline_GT-R#Production_figures_3

Chantastic
12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
They're starting to show up on terra2!

http://www.terra2imports.ca/listing/1996-mitsubishi-legnum-vr4-turbo-awd

zipdoa
12-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Because they are stupid expensive for how old they are. I'

Sean @ Zen Autoworks had a Midnight Purple R33 in great condition, but wanted $23,500 for it.

They're wicked cars and fit my tall frame perfectly, but the bang for your buck isn't quite there. I'll wait until a MP R33 GT-R is in the $10k range.

Chantastic
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
23! That's nuts. More like 10-12. I wonder much R34's will be then...

ercchry
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
maybe go find one in japan still :dunno:

http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700030226320110923002.html

Vr4Whore
12-06-2011, 05:57 PM
They're starting to show up on terra2!

http://www.terra2imports.ca/listing/1996-mitsubishi-legnum-vr4-turbo-awd

That's the same one as on zen auto and brave auto, unless there is some sort of partnership with terra2. Based on a variety of forums terra2 is stupidly overpriced and they sell grade 3-3.5 vehicles.

http://www.braveautointernational.jp/

Vr4Whore
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
23! That's nuts. More like 10-12. I wonder much R34's will be then...

Keep in mind Zen/Brave bring in pretty much immaculate cars

you can find R33 GTRs for 12k ish at JDMtuners, but their prices reflect the condition, just like all of their cars...

R34s start at $32k before shipping lol

Chantastic
12-07-2011, 09:10 PM
What currency is FOB? Like what country? Just trying to do some conversions

know1edge
12-07-2011, 09:19 PM
What currency is FOB? Like what country? Just trying to do some conversions

I don't believe that's a currency..

Chantastic
12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
hahhaa

Price FOB 295,000

Unless they literally mean fresh off the boat pricing?

rage2
12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
FOB Japan means that the car's shipping is paid for up to the point that it's on board the ship. You would have to pay for the freight from that point to the destination.

Chantastic
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
thanks!

Resurrected RA
03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
How is your search going Chantastic? I have Mark at Brave Auto looking for me, provided I send the deposit.;)

I like this one, I just don't like the mileage...

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/mitsubishi/legnum/9001135/

ercchry
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Resurrected RA
How is your search going Chantastic? I have Mark at Brave Auto looking for me, provided I send the deposit.;)

I like this one, I just don't like the mileage...

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/mitsubishi/legnum/9001135/

if this guy is purchasing cars for clients off tradecarview i would start looking for a new broker...

Resurrected RA
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Nope, that is my search, an example. Brave Auto has many very good reviews, and so far, Mark has been very good at answering all my questions.

Resurrected RA
03-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Damn 15 years! 2-3 years wait for a Type-V

http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/LEGNUM/700130049120110925002/index.html

NM, the Type-V doesn't have AYC.

msommers
03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Wow prices for R34 GTRs are out to lunch :nut:

Chantastic
03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
I got in contact with Sean at Zen, and his reputation is well deserved. He consistantly emailed me, usually within the day, fed me tonnes of info, and even gave me lots of alternative options. The fact of that matter is, I think I am going to wait a bit before I buy, and I'm not 100% sold on RHD.

The white Legnum I posted a while back was also listed on his site, and is now priced at $7200 landed in Vancouver I believe. Apparently, finding a VR4 (Legnum or Galant) with a 5spd is pretty rare, though from what I understand this is in your favor. I also expressed my concern about parts availability, and Sean brought up a good point. Even if the car was sold in Canada, because of its age, most of the parts you'd have to order from Japan anyways. Even my brothers '03 Lancer needed to have parts shipped over, and this was just last year.

He also sent me this spec sheet, which may be of interest to you:

http://auc.zenautoworks.ca/m?name=catalog&mnf_id=4&mdl_id=514&rec=4004060

Chantastic
03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Oh, and I asked about importing LHD cars from Europe. Apparently with their similar weather conditions to Canada, many of the cars are in rough shape, which is why a lot of importers won't bother importing cars from there.

Kardon
03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
+1 for the quality of seans/brave auto cars. You can usually find videos of brave's cars on YouTube.

Resurrected RA
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I got in contact with Sean at Zen, and his reputation is well deserved. He consistantly emailed me, usually within the day, fed me tonnes of info, and even gave me lots of alternative options. The fact of that matter is, I think I am going to wait a bit before I buy, and I'm not 100% sold on RHD.

The white Legnum I posted a while back was also listed on his site, and is now priced at $7200 landed in Vancouver I believe. Apparently, finding a VR4 (Legnum or Galant) with a 5spd is pretty rare, though from what I understand this is in your favor. I also expressed my concern about parts availability, and Sean brought up a good point. Even if the car was sold in Canada, because of its age, most of the parts you'd have to order from Japan anyways. Even my brothers '03 Lancer needed to have parts shipped over, and this was just last year.

He also sent me this spec sheet, which may be of interest to you:

http://auc.zenautoworks.ca/m?name=catalog&mnf_id=4&mdl_id=514&rec=4004060

Thanks for this, I have researched the heck out of that car. I am not sold on RHD either.

The Brave Auto site has that Legnum for $4,780 landed in Vancouver and approx. $1000 brokerage, duties, etc. They must have a profit margin in the Zen price.

My 04 Lancer required a new trans pump about a year ago, I had to wait for parts to be shipped from Japan too. It's not out of the realm of possibility with any imported car, no matter the vintage.

Kardon
03-08-2012, 06:18 PM
As long as the parts aren't obsolete ;)

Resurrected RA
03-11-2012, 01:01 PM
It looks like someone in BC is importing the Legnum, should be here mid-late April. 5-speed Legnum's are very rare, something like 5% are 5-speed, this may be the only one in Canada for some time. AFAIK.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62648-New-Member-from-B.C.-Canada

Chantastic
03-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Need a login for that one :(

Trinzler
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Are there a lot of LHD vehicles available from Japan ?

Chantastic
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I've seen a few, and as far as I can remember they've always been Euro LHD only models

Penguin_Racecar
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it tends to be BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc that are LHD.

Chantastic
03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
May have asked this before, but does anyone know of any importers that import from the Philipines?

Chantastic
03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Or does anyone know a reputable European importer? LHD Evo V's next year...

zipdoa
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Here's a local goodie. Imported from Japan 3 or 4 years ago. One of the only cars I'd consider bringing over, aside an R33 GT-R in MNP.

EDIT:

At a company dinner last week, the owner of my dealership claimed that within 4 years RHD imports will be banned, and all landed RHD's will have to be converted to LHD.

I told him I'd heard this many times before, but that it had never come to fruition. He said it was already in the process of happening.

Can anyone shed some light on that?

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5508/newbitmapimagemc.png

Resurrected RA
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Here's a local goodie. Imported from Japan 3 or 4 years ago. One of the only cars I'd consider bringing over, aside an R33 GT-R in MNP.

EDIT:

At a company dinner last week, the owner of my dealership claimed that within 4 years RHD imports will be banned, and all landed RHD's will have to be converted to LHD.

I told him I'd heard this many times before, but that it had never come to fruition. He said it was already in the process of happening.

I have heard that a few times too, not sure who is perpetuating it and where there sources are. When questioned on the details I hear a bunch of conjecture and second-hand stories from someone they know. If I import a Legnum I'm sure I can convert it, so I'm not too worried.

A790
03-22-2012, 02:06 PM

I have heard that a few times too, not sure who is perpetuating it and where there sources are. When questioned on the details I hear a bunch of conjecture and second-hand stories from someone they know. If I import a Legnum I'm sure I can convert it, so I'm not too worried.
You won't need to convert it.

They will have to grandfather cars that are already here.

Chantastic
03-22-2012, 09:03 PM

You can buy LHD dash kits from the Phillipines...dunno how much labour would cost you though, should you have it done by someone else

Chantastic
03-22-2012, 09:14 PM

EDIT:

What car is that? Audi? VW? Lancia?

zipdoa
03-23-2012, 09:12 AM

What car is that? Audi? VW? Lancia?

RS2

Resurrected RA
03-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Now the Pajero Evolution has caught my eye too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/a/a1/Pajero-evolution1.jpg

Trinzler
03-25-2012, 11:29 AM

EDIT:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5508/newbitmapimagemc.png

You should check out ivoac.ca in regards to import laws. If you are interested in a RS2 there's someone trying to import a LHD one from Mexico through the NAFTA agreement right now.

zipdoa
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Trinzler

You should check out ivoac.ca in regards to import laws. If you are interested in a RS2 there's someone trying to import a LHD one from Mexico through the NAFTA agreement right now.

There's already 2 or 3 in Canada. No problem in terms of legalities to bring them in. The biggest problem is:

A. Finding an clean, low mileage example
B. Forking over $30k for the clean, low mileage example

95% of the 2900 or so produced were LHD, so that's less of an issue.

nj2Type-S
03-25-2012, 06:56 PM
May have asked this before, but does anyone know of any importers that import from the Philipines?

+1. they've coverted jdm cars to LHD. i will be looking at getting a skyline or s-15 from there.

Chantastic
04-01-2012, 10:02 PM
^ we think alike. Does anyone know if the S15 or R34 have fold down rear seats? I'd imagine the S15 does...wouldn't be surprised if the R34 had a bunch of braces back there. I've tried multiple google searches for this and have had no luck.

nine5ej1
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Is there some kind of secret way of getting in contact with this guy? I've sent two emails and called/left message in the span of a couple months and nothing.

I got in contact with Sean at Zen, and his reputation is well deserved. He consistantly emailed me, usually within the day, fed me tonnes of info, and even gave me lots of alternative options.

Resurrected RA
04-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by nine5ej1
Is there some kind of secret way of getting in contact with this guy? I've sent two emails and called/left message in the span of a couple months and nothing.

Mark @ Brave or Sean @ Zen? I know Mark has been very prompt with all my inquiries. At this point I am waiting for the guy in BC to get his car landed and insured before I make my move.

I am still undecided between a Legnum VR-4 or a Pajero Evolution...why not both?

Chantastic
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Sean has been super fast with emails too. Who are you trying to contact, nine?

RA: Both would be amazing! I've actually never seen the Pajero Evo before, looks like something out of a Jackie Chan movie! But if you're concerned about RHD like myself, at least with the Pajero you'd be high off the ground and would be able to see fine for the most part anyways.

Chantastic
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
...rumor has it you can get LHD Celica GT4's, the later generation (ST205, no pop up lights). Does ANYONE know of an importer that ships from Europe?? There has to be somebody, I've seen a few Ford Falcons/other misc cars that have been imported long before the JDM craze.

Edit: found these guys, bu they have currently suspended their importing to North America :(

http://www.classiceurocars.com/index-en.php

I'll shoot them a message anyways

Chantastic
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
^ anyone?

Edit: anyone know how to get hold of terra2imports? Their contact system is all messed up

btimbit
05-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Minor thread hijack.

Anyone know if I can get a 2000 VW Jetta/Bora VR6 4motion from Germany? They sell them here, just not the awd ones, although the same awd system is used in other cars available here. Is that enough for me to have to wait until 2015?

Chantastic
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
I would imagine 2015 :(

Then again how is everyone getting R32's here?

anyone know how to get hold of terra2imports? Their contact system is all messed up