PDA

View Full Version : Steroids in the NHL??

C_Dave45
11-06-2011, 01:11 PM
No...ya don't say! :rolleyes:

Old Georgie boy isn't gonna make himself too popular now. Not that this comes as any surprise. Is this the start of a shitstorm like in the MLB a few years back?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/11/06/laraque-nhl-has-a-steroid-problem

lasimmon
11-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Just a guy hurt that he was forced into retirement because no one wanted him. I have no respect for people who make claims like this but do not drop any names.

Hakkola
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I couldn't care less if true, but players get tested 3 times a year.

I just want to watch the most entertaining hockey possible, if guys want to shorten their lives for my entertainment and millions of dollars, it's their choice.

dj_honda
11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
He's just trying to get book sales by saying something controversial. Especially since Canseco's book took off after the MLB steroid thing. The kind of lean size the players have in the NHL doesn't really fit with steroid use. I could see other types of drugs being used though.

C_Dave45
11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
He's just trying to get book sales by saying something controversial. Especially since Canseco's book took off after the MLB steroid thing. The kind of lean size the players have in the NHL doesn't really fit with steroid use. I could see other types of drugs being used though.

Agree on why he's saying this. But "...The kind of lean size the players have in the NHL doesn't really fit with steroid use...."

huh??? You have 18 year old kids coming in at over 200 lbs of solid muscle...you don't think steroids are involved??

Steroids are HUGE in the NHL. This is no secret. Steroids are not just muscle-bound body builders with bulging veins.

Jlude
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
interesting... George is gonna be on everyone's shit list.

The NHL has a wholesome image compared to MLB, NFL and the NBA... this could fuck that all up.

lasimmon
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
George is already on everyone's shit list. And to the above yah Nugent Hopkins is well over 200 lbs. and they never send 18 year olds back to gain more strength with age.

Team_Mclaren
11-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Agree on why he's saying this. But "...The kind of lean size the players have in the NHL doesn't really fit with steroid use...."

huh??? You have 18 year old kids coming in at over 200 lbs of solid muscle...you don't think steroids are involved??

Steroids are HUGE in the NHL. This is no secret. Steroids are not just muscle-bound body builders with bulging veins.

Heard it here first, from the NHL insider C_Dave45

C_Dave45
11-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Heard it here first, from the NHL insider C_Dave45

http://stubbornlynaive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Slow-Clap.gif

:rolleyes:

wintonyk
11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
They are also taking HGH. Which helps mostly with muscle recovery if I am not mistaken. So they can workout harder and longer.

He also talks about ephedrine. A lot of the goons take ephedrine so they can't feel the punches. I read this on the rss feeds for cbc i think.

EDIT: it was tsn
TSN LINK (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379721)

sputnik
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Just a guy hurt that he was forced into retirement because no one wanted him.

If my memory serves me right... he retired due to back problems.

sexualbanana
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I only partially agree with what DJ Honda said because hockey players don't have a noticeable build. There are prototypical players who break the mould (Iginla, Pronger, Thornton, Ovechkin), but there are far fewer of those (in the upper-tiers of the NHL) than smaller guys like Doughty and Crosby, who don't have above average builds or masses.

Officially, they're all in the 6'0" 200 lbs range, but during the season they're closer to the 185-195 lbs range which doesn't make them big by any means.

Most professional sports have noticeable builds that, when you look at them, you can figure out what sport they play.
Basketball players are usually incredibly lean and tall.
Football players, depending on position, are usually above the average when it comes to muscle mass.
Baseball players have huge forearms and very large thighs.
Hockey players, in my opinion, have very average builds, and very average physical stats. To me, they always fall in the 5'10" - 6'0" and 185 - 195 range.

r3ccOs
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I only partially agree with what DJ Honda said because hockey players don't have a noticeable build. There are prototypical players who break the mould (Iginla, Pronger, Thornton, Ovechkin), but there are far fewer of those (in the upper-tiers of the NHL) than smaller guys like Doughty and Crosby, who don't have above average builds or masses.

Officially, they're all in the 6'0" 200 lbs range, but during the season they're closer to the 185-195 lbs range which doesn't make them big by any means.

Most professional sports have noticeable builds that, when you look at them, you can figure out what sport they play.
Basketball players are usually incredibly lean and tall.
Football players, depending on position, are usually above the average when it comes to muscle mass.
Baseball players have huge forearms and very large thighs.
Hockey players, in my opinion, have very average builds, and very average physical stats. To me, they always fall in the 5'10" - 6'0" and 185 - 195 range.

Its like anything though, any PED can be used in conjunciton with a training regiment to target what they want to enhance...

I've seen iginla, phaneuf, and lombardi first hand, and I'd agree... they aren't exceptionally big guys, and even if they were on any type of PED, muscular size is likely notpart of their training focus, unlike lets say football.

They aren't pro-wrestlers nor body builders, so they may orient their training and focus with the aid of PEDs to enhance their recovery, anerobic/aerobic endurance and strength (relative to size).

like most atheletes:
Shred off the unecessary weight, work on bulding functional strength through plyometrics, build a stronger aerobic/anerobic base and stereoids for instance, would accelerate that entire process.

my neighbor plays in the A, and he isn't a huge guy neither, though the stats say he's 6'4 225...
I'm 6' @ 195 and he's only about an inch or two taller, and no way any more muscular than I... so stat's only mean so much.

That being said, fricken Lindross back in the day was a real beast, and I'd say they underestimated his weight during the regular season....
I heard he used to pack on weight during the regular season and had to lay off the weight training cause he'd pick up muscle so fast.