PDA

View Full Version : Well Paying P/T Jobs?

dj_patm
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Just looking for ideas.

Currently delivering pizzas and the money is awesome but:

a) I can't get any shifts
b) My car is starting to become very unreliable

I really need to find a consistent source of part-time income as I plan on moving out in the short term and my car needs a lot of repairs but I'm still going to be a student until May where I will have my full time job again.

So im just looking for ideas of where to look. I never knew that I could make as much money as I do delivering Pizza so I'm hoping that there's other little gems out there that I didn't know about.

BensonTT
11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Why dont you become a DJ lol

BlackRadon
11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Doesn't pay that much really.

KrisYYC
11-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure if it would work for you but FedEx and Purolator are always hiring part-time drivers. I think they start around $17/hr. Problem is they usually want to work 5 days a week still, just 4 or 5 hour shifts.

J-D
11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I find that it's tough to find a decent paying part-time job with somewhat flexible hours as a student. I always find that I need some extra cash but there's no way I'm going to make less than half of what my usual summer job pays working some awful retail job for around minimum wage. I even tried it once and a supervisor kept trying to push more shifts on me despite what we had agreed upon when I interviewed.

Hope you have better luck than I have! The bar industry is probably your best bet, but I refuse to work anywhere where I rely on tips.

wintonyk
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I was a bartender and a personal trainer while in university. Usually 10 or so hours at the gym and a couple shifts at the bar. Nothing big for money but maybe an extra couple hundred each week.

Have you looked into jobs on campus? My uni I spent one year as an art gallery attendant making 15 an hour and doing essentially nothing but study and making sure people didn't touch the art.

rx7boi
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Go work at Future Shop in the TV section, you can make good coin if you know what you're doing.

swak
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Take your personal hobby and turn it into a decent PT job in the specialized field.

Pays a lot better than generic PT jobs, from my experiences.

.. i know. Vague

silvercivicsir
11-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Call center employee.. they will work around your schedule, and pay is awesome.. probably $17 to start, but it will suck the life outta you, and you will hate people... ((but if it's only a few years, and your doing it while in school,)) it's a great job for the $$

msommers
11-13-2011, 01:00 AM
What kind money are you averaging a night delivering pizza? How bad does your car smell now?

cream
11-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Nothing that you can get short term, but me and my buddy are making 17-18$ at Co-op part time. I work only weekends, 8.5hr shifts and can ask for 6 or 4 hr shifts during weekdays cept I choose not to. 4 yrs to jump up from 9$ though.

yipb
11-13-2011, 01:24 AM
which pizza place do u work for jw

rx7boi
11-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Man, I don't know about you guys but you should definitely try sales.

Yeah, not everyone can do it but I pull at least 200 bucks a day from working at Future Shop. It's not as stable but the good days more than balance out the bad days.

I've had days where I go home with almost 300 bucks in my pocket.

Supa Dexta
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Futureshop pays cash?

tictactoe2004
11-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Futureshop pays cash?

Those type of places used to pay cash for spiffs. I remember working at Visions in around 99/00/01 and sometimes going home with $500+ in cash spiffs in a single day.

They don't do that any more though, now the places that still pay spiffs just add it to your pay cheque. Boo.

I'd love to try working at a place like Futureshop for a couple weeks just for fun though, lol, it's the only place I've EVER applied to in my entire life where I wasn't hired. Their hiring process doesn't seem to cater to quality sales people though.

craigcd
11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Sales for sure, I did very well at Bell Canada while going to school. I wouldnt work for a dealer personally but im sure they all pay decent if your selling.

403ep3
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Worked at bell and it was decent for money. Also worked at fs and gl getting into home theatre going part time.

I work at the hospital and work maybe 1-2 every two weeks. Could work more" but trying to focus on school

[GaGe]
11-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Call center jobs! I used to work at Shaw in tech support, they paid around 17/hr + commission. They work around your school schedule too, but you might have to work early (6am) or late (midnight), depending on your class schedule.

Just make a fake schedule and you're all good haha.

dj_patm
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers
What kind money are you averaging a night delivering pizza? How bad does your car smell now?

Work at Sammys down in Shawnessy. It smells pretty shitty/awesome depending on your mood lol but it goes away after a couple days off.

So far I'd say I average 120 bucks a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less but it's never worked out to less then $20/hr. On good days it's around $27-$30/hr.

I've got a few more shifts so I think I'll hold on to it for now. I hate retail. I did it for far too long and I can't imagine dealing with customers again... Blah.