PDA

View Full Version : Well the holiday season is here, anyone started shopping yet? Share your gift ideas

Melinda
11-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Most stores had Christmas stuff on the shelves before Halloween, but it seems November 1st hit and christmas exploded. The toyota dealership by our place already has christmas lights on all of their outdoor trees.

I decided to start my christmas shopping early this year so I wasn't rushing around in december desperately searching for some crappy ho hum gift or something that I'd be over spending for. I generally like to find that insanely unique or custom idea that will blow a person away, so that usually takes some time to find/order/make/etc. I'm actually almost finished shopping/ordering already, but I'm looking for a few more gift ideas, so I thought I'd start the christmas gift thread early this year.

So, post up what you've bought, what you're planning to buy/make, people you're stumped on, etc.

Merry Christmas! :burnout:

baygirl
11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
The only person I'm buying for this year is my daughter, and I have most of that done. So far there's a video camera, glow station, crazy fort, an easel and small items. I *might* be going overboard because of post-divorce guilt....

On a side note I think stores should hold off on the Christmas music until after November 11.

Melinda
11-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
On a side note I think stores should hold off on the Christmas music until after November 11.
Totally agree.

NoMoreG35
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
What's November 11? 20111111?

DannyO
11-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm a guy, I do my shopping on December 24th.

Melinda
11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Uhhh...seriously? :facepalm:

Jlude
11-07-2011, 12:15 AM
a thread from Melinda?

Jesus... I thought the babies took over your life. Welcome back!

lint
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
if only I could remember...

adam c
11-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by lint

if only I could remember...

how could we ever forget...

max_boost
11-07-2011, 12:26 AM
What's November 11? 20111111? The day after I partied so hard at the Roadhouse. $8 Triple Thursday's and barely legal teens with their rack hanging out. :bigpimp:

R154
11-07-2011, 10:26 AM
...remembrance day? Really? Some of you guys dont know that?

adam c
11-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by R154
...remembrance day? Really? Some of you guys dont know that?

slow monday for you?

Sugarphreak
11-07-2011, 10:30 AM

jwslam
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I picked up a couple of these

http://www.kijijideals.ca/deals/calgary/lp-enterprises-offer-for-2-heavenly-hooks

masoncgy
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
lol... such a basic thread and so much fail...

My wife started this process in January... I don't normally do a whole lot of Christmas shopping though. I wait until the last minute like most men out there.

It's not even Remembrance Day... I don't like hearing or seeing anything about Christmas until December, personally.

Way overdone, that holiday.

spikerS
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
i am headed to the Philippines from Dec 6-20th, I plan on doing all my Christmas shopping there, and bringing back neat things for everyone.

bituerbo
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm really thinking iPod Touch for the mom/dad.
A super sleek video/digital camera, free video calling to anyone with an iPhone/iTouch (my sis and I) and something that will play movies/tv shows (as I recently set them both up with iTunes) plus apps, games etc (my mom still commutes/works, dad is retired).

almerick
11-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Since I've finally hit student status (broke), I'm probably just gonna take some pictures and get them developed and framed for my parents. For my brother, I'll figure that out later..

Tomaz
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
My niece and nephew are really the only ones I buy for every year.

Niece - I dress her up in the latest fashions. I guess she likes my taste in clothes. :nut:

Nephew - Trying to get him cool/build-able hobbies, but he lacks the attention it takes to build anything. His dad and I finally got him into model rocketry, but he hasn't shown any interest in anything else so far. He likes Hockey, but he doesn't need anything for that. I am open to suggestions of course, so feel free to throw ideas. hopefully something sticks.

Mom - some Diabetic candies/chocolates and iTunes card.

Dad - he likes books. Maybe get him something for books? lol

Brother and his wife - I am at a loss this year. Let get you guys posting so I can steal your ideas! lol

freshprince1
11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i am headed to the Philippines from Dec 6-20th, I plan on doing all my Christmas shopping there, and bringing back neat things for everyone.

Bring me back some Lucky Me Pancit Canton. Get your friends some cool Islanders (best flip flops in the world). Get yourself a nice Barong. make sure to eat some balut (but don't forget the spicy vinegar).

I miss that place.

Enjoy!

Melinda
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
a thread from Melinda?

Jesus... I thought the babies took over your life. Welcome back!
Haha thanks. It wasn't the babies that have taken over my life, it's the emotional warfare that's followed. I've been lurking all along, but now I'm back :)

I'm about 80% done my shopping. Our family operates on a big budget secret santa gift and then a $20 stocking stuffer for each person's stocking. This year I'm buying the big budget gift for my dad. He's fairly impossible to shop for because he appreciates whatever someone gets him, so finding the "special" thing that will wow him is hard. This year I had some luck I think. Dad's into all things BBQ and food, so I ordered him a custom cutting board from this husband and wife team: http://www.etsy.com/shop/tablescrapcreations and a 6 month membership to "The hot sauce of the month club" from www.fromildtowild.com. I also got him some goodies from that site (dessert hot sauces and jalapeno olives and peanuts) and I'll be making him some really unique BBQ sauces and rubs. Hopefully he'll like it!

I'll post the little stuff later when I have more time.

Canmorite
11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Mom - some Diabetic candies/chocolates and iTunes card.

I don't know your mom, but as a Diabetic, I hate being reminded about my disease on Christmas fucking morning. If she's all about them, I bet it's fine.

Dad-Shaving supplies and some magazine subscriptions.
Mom-No idea, so hard to shop for
Bro-He reads this site :poosie:
Friends-Gift cards, smaller specific things

adam c
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Bring me back some Lucky Me Pancit Canton. Get your friends some cool Islanders (best flip flops in the world). Get yourself a nice Barong. make sure to eat some balut (but don't forget the spicy vinegar).

I miss that place.

Enjoy!

Why not just go to the corner flip store and buy some?

Tomaz
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I don't know your mom, but as a Diabetic, I hate being reminded about my disease on Christmas fucking morning. If she's all about them, I bet it's fine.

I know what you mean. She feels worse when we are chowing on toblerone, and she has nothing. I found chocolate that is actually delicious so she can have a treat with us. If she didn't love it do much, I would totally see where your coming from. Lol

I think my nephew will get some flames tickets if I can get them. Finally solved that dilemma.

Just gotta work on bro and his wife.