PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good winter jacket

elite
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I was looking for a good warm winter jacket that will keep me warm in -40 conditions. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot (probably around $100-200), so Canadian Goose jackets are out (and similar types).

I was looking at few from sears but I'm not sure if they are any good.

http://www.sears.ca/product/retreat-md-down-blend-bomber/645-000564328-MF11-RT70-1203?campaign=rr_item_ClickEV_0_2

and

http://www.sears.ca/product/retreat-md-down-blend-parka/645-000564328-MF11-RT70-1202?campaign=rr_item_ClickCP_0_0

Anyone have any experience with these? Or can recommend a good winter jacket around my price range?

edit.

I know there are other threads but they mainly talk about the more expensive jackets and are older. I have looked at them and did not find anything so I created a new thread.

bart
11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.aetherapparel.com/shop/mens/insulated/cloud/

mugensix
11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I picked up a nice Diesel 2 years ago and i still have it. they are hard to find now ..
http://newstyle-shopping.com/IMAGE/rubriki/manjackets/20092011/Diesel-Mens-Leold-Black-Jacket-1.jpg

Worth the pretty penny

wintonyk
11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
are you looking to make a fashion statement or stay dry and warm. Check sport chek. I think colombia makes some jackets in your price range.

I don't have much experience with retreat other than when i worked at sears when I was younger. The quality isn't exactly top notch.

Lol whats your size? I could probably sell ya a NorthFace Jacket that I don't use. i have about 6 or 7 winter jackets. I used to buy one every year for snowboarding.

Canucks3322
11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I was about to post this too....don't have a lot of money to spend and definitely do not want to wear anything like Canada Goose even if DID have the $$...Canada Goose = the new Rock and Republic :barf: every guy I've seen so far wearing one of these has his hair spiked up and looks like he's ready to go to the Roadhouse...

MEC seems to have some decently priced jackets, one was 250 or so and had 800 fill goose down...

I'm just getting sick of this layering bullshit I been doing for the past few years in Calgary, it's so uncomfortable and annoying (by the time you've layered enough, you can barely move around, especially worse when driving), I just want to wear what I normally wear, and then put on ONE layer and step outside into a Calgary winter....

BlackRadon
11-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Go check out ski/board places. They have last years gear they sell for a good discount. That's what I do, tested and proven by people that use them. Nomis makes really good hoodies for layering.

elite
11-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I honestly could care less about fashion. I just want to stay warm when the winter comes around. As long as its not pink or multi-colored I'm fine with whatever.

Just like canucks said I really am not looking to be layering up. Especially since when I do go indoors the heat would be on and it would just get too hot. Also shoulder checks can be a huge pain with all those layers.

Have you had any experience with MEC jackets? Or know of anyone who has?

I was also looking at this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m12-cordless-heated-jacket-x-large/965779

Seems like it would do the job, but how effective would the heater actually be?

Canucks3322
11-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BlackRadon
Go check out ski/board places. They have last years gear they sell for a good discount. That's what I do, tested and proven by people that use them. Nomis makes really good hoodies for layering.

Still gotta layer with snowboarding jackets though if you're walking around the city...they're not made to be that warm since it's assumed you'll be doing sports and sweating....:(

Canucks3322
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm also curious about those heated jackets....why don't they sell more of these?!

BlackRadon
11-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Ya I understand you could layer. I've never been a fan of layering either, I've living in banff for 5 years and only rock a shell and a nice zip up hood. Yes, when your up onthe hills I layer because you have too but other then that I I don't. You can find a well rounded jacket you just have to go look at some. The jacket I'm using now is an 4 year old ecko unltd. that I bought when a store was closing and just put it in the closet for 4 years haha. Other then that Burton AK shell with hoodie. Doesn't feel bulky at all. On another note, I am a bigger guy and have a layer of natures finest jack on hahah if u know what I mean lol.

ArjayAquino
11-08-2011, 08:12 PM
i'm in the same boat as you guys, I'm tired of wearing stupid layers. I just bought my gf a helly hansen jacket, I would have gotten one for myself but they're too big (even the small) :facepalm:

I'm hoping i can find some north face ones that will fit.

max_boost
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bart
http://www.aetherapparel.com/shop/mens/insulated/cloud/

He wants to spend $200 max and you recommend him a baller jacket! lol

Go check out sport chek they have some decent stuff. I picked up one of their black puffy Columbia jacket for $180 and seems to do the trick. I'm not fashion guy so I didn't really care. :D

project240
11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by elite
I honestly could care less about fashion. I just want to stay warm when the winter comes around. As long as its not pink or multi-colored I'm fine with whatever.

Just like canucks said I really am not looking to be layering up. Especially since when I do go indoors the heat would be on and it would just get too hot. Also shoulder checks can be a huge pain with all those layers.

Have you had any experience with MEC jackets? Or know of anyone who has?

I was also looking at this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m12-cordless-heated-jacket-x-large/965779

Seems like it would do the job, but how effective would the heater actually be?

I wish Makita made one so I could buy and try. I've also been contemplating electric steel toes to go with it...

flipstah
11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Go check out your local Winners and pick up a Columbia Titanium jacket. I bought mine there and it's been Fort Mac tested. LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

rob the knob
11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
eddie bauer

sales often so find something nice in your price range

Team_Mclaren
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

He wants to spend $200 max and you recommend him a baller jacket! lol

typical beyond, full of idiots who dont read.

"I'm looking for a new car for winter, around 20k"

first reply : "Buy a 996 turbo"

:facepalm:

--------------

I have one of these, I find them pretty good on cold days. Its really puffy tho

http://usa.tommy.com/tommy/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=7807009&categoryId=08JO&skuColorId=410

K3RMiTdot
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
check out sportchek, when i went looking for a jacket last week they had a few sales on selected jackets or go to atmosphere, should be able to find one within your budget in one of those places.

i bought my jacket at helly hansen, i love it =D, cept i spent almost 600 for it.

elite
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the input. Sadly I'm in lethbridge and will be for a while so I wont be able to check out most of the stores posted here. I will swing by sport check, winners, and an outdoor sports store here locally on the weekend. I also plan on checking out home depot to see if I can try out the Milwaukee heated jacket.

We don't have many decent stores around here and stock can be an issue at times.

If there are any online stores with jackets you recommend (I tried to google for what kind of jackets to get but quite hard to decide without actually trying them on) that would be awesome. Plus I'm sure there are many other beyonders that are looking for a good jacket without breaking the bank.

FraserB
11-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I have a Carhartt jacket I picked up from Marks for about $150. Awesome jacket, warm to the point it is sometimes too much.

msommers
11-09-2011, 03:38 AM
You say just warm and dry, but doing what? Working outside? Standing for the bus?

Reason I ask is because (1) if it's just for walking around, waiting for the bus etc you'll want a down jacket.

(2)If you're working outside and it's even mildly labour intensive, you have to start to consider sweating, wicking moisture and likely need to layer.

MEC is honestly going to be your best bet. They have quality stuff and they back their product 100%. Stay away from absolute garbage like G-star, Diesel etc. These people specialize in fashion, not a coat that needs to work properly.

Bottom line for me: the initial cost of a good jacket fucking sucks but it pays for itself time and time again when you don't need to buy a new one, is easily replaceable under warranty and just works. I have a MEC jacket that I've had over 8 years now and I still wear it to this day because it's just something that doesn't need to be replaced. The zipper broke on it and MEC covered the repair costs without question.

This is a different jacket that I have. I'm a pretty small guy and I have to admit, I wish it came one size smaller. But it keeps me pretty warm so fuck it.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/PRD~5017-628/mec-frontenac-parka-mens.jsp

Atmosphere (if you have one in Leth) I find is more expensive than MEC but their product is good too. Watch for 25% off days via Sport Check coupons usually posted on here. They sell Canada Goose as well. I was thinking about trying one of their jackets but at 500+ I'm more convinced it is about the name now. Norrona is a brand I found out about here on Beyond. Their prices are quite high compared to MEC brand jackets and only one person has spoken of their quality.

Neil4Speed
11-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I bought this last year to replace a proper down filled winter jacket I had.

http://canada.roots.com/YorkDownFilledJacket/MensOuterwearJackets//01010385,default,pd.html?cgid=mensLeatherJackets&selectedcolor=0100

http://canada.roots.com/YorkDownFilledJacketCheckered/MensOuterwearJackets//01010384,default,pd.html?cgid=mensLeatherJackets&selectedcolor=0700

I was super impressed with how warm it was. Looks a bit like a Canada goose as well. Occasionally you can get coupon codes as well for 25% off etc, to bring the price down further.

edit. I just read that you said -40 on the regular. Honestly, I would go with the warmest jacket MEC makes if thats your conditions. Use several thermal layers as well.

Here is a code for 25% off at Roots if you wanted that jacket: SHOPFIRST2011

Pacman
11-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Mountain Equipment Co-op will have what you want, in your price range.

psycoticclown
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by elite
Thanks for the input. Sadly I'm in lethbridge and will be for a while so I wont be able to check out most of the stores posted here. I will swing by sport check, winners, and an outdoor sports store here locally on the weekend. I also plan on checking out home depot to see if I can try out the Milwaukee heated jacket.

We don't have many decent stores around here and stock can be an issue at times.

If there are any online stores with jackets you recommend (I tried to google for what kind of jackets to get but quite hard to decide without actually trying them on) that would be awesome. Plus I'm sure there are many other beyonders that are looking for a good jacket without breaking the bank.

There's actually a really nice jacket in the Winners there. It's like right by the entrance, has a fur hood. Can't remember who makes it but it's 79.99 iirc and it was really nice and thick, was pretty heavy and warm.

Canucks3322
11-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I just got back from Sport Chek to get a jacket for my gf.....the Columbia Omni Heat technology is amazing, we got her a jacket for $203 after the 25% discount and I swear this thing is as warm as the 500 dollar North Face ones....it's almost like reflective material inside the jacket that reflects and traps your body heat....:thumbsup: Plus it was as trendy and stlyish and a nice colour as the fancy snowboarding brands which apparently to a woman is the most important thing :dunno:

Kloubek
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Msommers gave you some good advice there. MEC is good, as is Sport Chek/Atmosphere (which is who I work for.)

You don't have an Atmosphere store there, but you do have a Sport Chek so I would definately go there and see what they have.

I do post deals when they come up for Beyond members - and they are great deals for usually 25% off, but you might be interested to know that Columbia jackets are 25% off right now at Sport Chek anyway, and they are likely your best value for a decent winter jacket - so no need to wait for my next posting.

Msommers is entirely right - Down is great, but not if you feel it will be around any kind of moisture. Otherwise, I would go for a simple insulated jacket if you don't want to deal with the layering concept. Insulated is becomming rarer, but I know that we do sell some Columbia models that are of the insulated type.

Also, avoid the softshell styles - they are amazing for what they are, but should not be considered suitable for a main winter jacket to wear in the coldest temperatures.

OU812
11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Try the Oakley Vault at Cross Iron

Rat Fink
11-12-2011, 11:15 AM

r3ccOs
11-12-2011, 01:25 PM
the long & short of it... you need some sort of insulation and wind protection with breathabilty to stay warm and "DRY"
Its about managing your body heat

System shells and even Soft Shells are principly based on layering, providing the moisture control, waterproofing and windprooing

Some softshells have built in with a fleece, so theyprovides a couple levels of insulation, BUT... you would need things like a fleece, down shirt or hoodie depending on your own body's output

if you're walking around, you're emitting low BTU output... if you're downhill skiing, you are putting out tons going with that anerobic activity, but need breathabilty and insulation to retain the heat while you wait to get pulled back up

If you're running, cross country skiing, AT skiing, snoe shoeing... you just need wind, water and breathability to manage you body heat should

The best things IMO are still down jackets, and a quality one, like from Marmot, will provide some water "resistance", is breathable, isolates from wind, and is light... just bulky

I've used my buddy's dickie's, and carhartt's and personally I hate them. Its as heavy as hockey gear and about as breathable.
But its trade off is the high quality cordura nylon that won't tear or snag...

if you are looking for a good all purpose jacket for a reasonable price...
Columbia all the way
They may not be exclusive like a North Face, Marmot, Arcteryx, Patagonia... but they know what they're doing and make an good product for great value.
I've heard their new foil like liner is tremendous and that they will be putting it into their mountain hardware stuff, which they now own.

C_Dave45
11-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

typical beyond, full of idiots who dont read.

"I'm looking for a new car for winter, around 20k"

first reply : "Buy a 996 turbo"

:facepalm:

--------------

I have one of these, I find them pretty good on cold days. Its really puffy tho

http://usa.tommy.com/tommy/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=7807009&categoryId=08JO&skuColorId=410

Pretty much the same as the OP. Typical beyond request...
"Hi, I want the best (insert product here) but I only want to spend (insert cheapest amount here)" :rolleyes:

Two facts everyone seems to be ignoring:

1. The most effective means against cold is layering. Period.
2. The alternative to layering, ie: a jacket alone that will be warm against -40 temps will be bloody expensive.

But aside from that, I can't understand the big dilemma. OP are you going to be hiking for 4 hours in the elements, or just your everyday travel around the city?

My wife and I will go snowshoeing for a better part of the day in up to -30 conditions and all I put on is:
1)sweat wicking long johns
2)Pants (preferably waterproof/resistant)
3)sweat wicking T-shirt
4)loose fitting long sleeve, high neck sweatshirt
5)Plain-jane winter jacket
6)toque and gloves

And I'm completely comfortable. Come into a bar for a warm drink afterwards, and I take off my outer jacket and toque/gloves and I'm completely comfortable again.

You can't shoulder check/drive/be comfortable with a set up like that, then there's something wrong with you.

If you want to wear just a T-shirt and jeans and then put on a jacket and walk out into -40 (which of course we hardly ever see) then expect to pay upwards of $500 for a jacket.

Simple concept. Do you really help with this?

elite
11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Pretty much the same as the OP. Typical beyond request...
"Hi, I want the best (insert product here) but I only want to spend (insert cheapest amount here)" :rolleyes:

Two facts everyone seems to be ignoring:

1. The most effective means against cold is layering. Period.
2. The alternative to layering, ie: a jacket alone that will be warm against -40 temps will be bloody expensive.

But aside from that, I can't understand the big dilemma. OP are you going to be hiking for 4 hours in the elements, or just your everyday travel around the city?

My wife and I will go snowshoeing for a better part of the day in up to -30 conditions and all I put on is:
1)sweat wicking long johns
2)Pants (preferably waterproof/resistant)
3)sweat wicking T-shirt
4)loose fitting long sleeve, high neck sweatshirt
5)Plain-jane winter jacket
6)toque and gloves

And I'm completely comfortable. Come into a bar for a warm drink afterwards, and I take off my outer jacket and toque/gloves and I'm completely comfortable again.

You can't shoulder check/drive/be comfortable with a set up like that, then there's something wrong with you.

If you want to wear just a T-shirt and jeans and then put on a jacket and walk out into -40 (which of course we hardly ever see) then expect to pay upwards of $500 for a jacket.

Simple concept. Do you really help with this?

Im not looking for the best jacket but I am looking for a decent one. The jacket would be for everyday use walking around the city, etc. and for when I head out to do some ice fishing and what not. I will still be layering as I always have, but I do not want to be layering as much.

I could still shoulder check but its just uncomfortable when u got a bunch of layers on and your trying to rotate.

Anyways I decided to go with this jacket:

http://www.rockydirect.com/productDetails/1140574/1027171/1000074

Thanks for all the input guys.

msommers
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Not a lot of info on that site about it but let us know how it works out. Could definitely be a bang-for-buck jacket.

CMW403
11-16-2011, 09:11 AM
My cousin has the milwaukee heated jacket and he swears by it. He goes hunting in it every weekend and he loves it. I think he'll probably even wear it snowboarding this season.

project240
11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
My cousin has the milwaukee heated jacket and he swears by it. He goes hunting in it every weekend and he loves it. I think he'll probably even wear it snowboarding this season.

I know I would. It's not like the winters actually get that cold here anyways, but it's much easier to work efficiently when you're warmer.

Wish I owned some Milwaukee tools... I have to wait until Bosch or Makita come out with their version... HURRY UP!

interlude
11-16-2011, 03:17 PM
For the price range, check out Columbia Titanium. I bought mine from sport chek about 6 or 7 years ago, and I still use it for boarding and to and from hockey.

For work weeks, I use my Canada Goose jacket and Sorel boots. Worth the investment to stay warm for the retarded commutes to work.

energie88
11-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I just ordered a Super Dry Winter jacket =D I'll let you know how it fares in the colder weather. It was roughly 150 dollars with free shipping =]

Redlyne_mr2
11-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by energie88
I just ordered a Super Dry Winter jacket =D I'll let you know how it fares in the colder weather. It was roughly 150 dollars with free shipping =]

None of SD jackets are any good in cold weather lol.

msommers
11-18-2011, 01:06 AM
:rofl:

elite
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Just got the jacket in yesterday and so far i have been staying pretty warm. Definitely worth it for $130.

ddduke
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Wholesale sports in deerfoot meadows is having a big sale from 8-midnight next friday and usually the prices are pretty good. I went to the family and friends sale a few weeks back and got 2 northface jackets and a pocket knife for under $400.

They have tons of stuff that's out of your price range now but at the sale you'll be able to get for around 200.

Canucks3322
11-23-2011, 10:42 PM
If anyone is still looking, I just got back from Eddie Bauer and they actually have some really decent looking stuff and really warm at good prices....plus for Black Friday, the entire store will be 40% off, they had tons of stock so I'm gonna buy something probably then...there's a down filled parka for 369 and with 40% plus tax it'll be about $230 bucks. The parka imo is as warm if not warmer then any 400-500 dollar northface coat

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=36444&&categoryId=28133&categoryName=PARKAS&pCategoryId=27714&pCategoryName=VIEW-ALL-OUTERWEAR&gpCategoryId=27300&gpCategoryName=MENS-OUTERWEAR&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28133~~categoryName=PARKAS~~pCategoryId=27714~~pCategoryName=VIEW-ALL-OUTERWEAR~~gpCategoryId=27300~~gpCategoryName=MENS-OUTERWEAR~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=null&pg=1

That site is American pricing...

r3ccOs
11-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
If anyone is still looking, I just got back from Eddie Bauer and they actually have some really decent looking stuff and really warm at good prices....plus for Black Friday, the entire store will be 40% off, they had tons of stock so I'm gonna buy something probably then...there's a down filled parka for 369 and with 40% plus tax it'll be about $230 bucks. The parka imo is as warm if not warmer then any 400-500 dollar northface coat

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=36444&&categoryId=28133&categoryName=PARKAS&pCategoryId=27714&pCategoryName=VIEW-ALL-OUTERWEAR&gpCategoryId=27300&gpCategoryName=MENS-OUTERWEAR&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28133~~categoryName=PARKAS~~pCategoryId=27714~~pCategoryName=VIEW-ALL-OUTERWEAR~~gpCategoryId=27300~~gpCategoryName=MENS-OUTERWEAR~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=null&pg=1

That site is American pricing...

I don't mind eddie bauer stuff... their First Ascent is seriously as good as anything else out there, and usually as its not popular, they go for good discounts and well... still nobody wears it ;)

Canucks3322
11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
The brand doesn't have coolness factor with the kids...im 31 and I like the styling, its professional enough to go to work in...

flipstah
11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Wholesale sports in deerfoot meadows is having a big sale from 8-midnight next friday and usually the prices are pretty good. I went to the family and friends sale a few weeks back and got 2 northface jackets and a pocket knife for under $400.

They have tons of stuff that's out of your price range now but at the sale you'll be able to get for around 200.

That's a sweet jacket! Better than CG :drool:

project240
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

Originally posted by project240

I know I would. It's not like the winters actually get that cold here anyways, but it's much easier to work efficiently when you're warmer.

Wish I owned some Milwaukee tools... I have to wait until Bosch or Makita come out with their version... HURRY UP!

I found a guy on kijiji selling a brand new Milwaukee jacket in my size for $100 and I broke down and bought it. I charged up the battery in about 20 minutes and went outside for a test run.

This jacket is awesome. Heats up much more than I expected it to and on top of that it's very lightweight and super comfortable.

Highly recommend so far!! The only question is battery life, both daily/lifetime. Reviews I've read say to expect 6hrs/charge, which is pretty good imo. I'm actually looking forward to some cold weather so I can see how it fares in -20 with just a tshirt and this jacket.

msommers
11-30-2011, 11:46 PM
FYI, I saw a couple flyers in the mail advertising sales on Northface jackets both at Atmosphere and Sport Check.

deee_wreck
12-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by project240

I found a guy on kijiji selling a brand new Milwaukee jacket in my size for $100 and I broke down and bought it. I charged up the battery in about 20 minutes and went outside for a test run.

This jacket is awesome. Heats up much more than I expected it to and on top of that it's very lightweight and super comfortable.

Highly recommend so far!! The only question is battery life, both daily/lifetime. Reviews I've read say to expect 6hrs/charge, which is pretty good imo. I'm actually looking forward to some cold weather so I can see how it fares in -20 with just a tshirt and this jacket.

What size did you get? how does the jacket fit to your body??

Jacket looks like a great idea.

I searched online, only HomeDepot and a shop in kensington has the Jacket locally, and for $200.

project240
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by deee_wreck

What size did you get? how does the jacket fit to your body??

Jacket looks like a great idea.

I searched online, only HomeDepot and a shop in kensington has the Jacket locally, and for $200.

I bought an XL... I'm 6'6" 230lbs. I wanted the jacket to be more on the snug side than the loose side. I found mine for 1/2 price, but after using it, I'd buy again at $200.

The only downside I've found is battery life, which I kind of expected. A charge lasts for about 3-4 hours on high. If I actually owned other Milwaukee tools I probably wouldn't care as much, but I don't really want to buy another drill just for the batteries...

needsawhip
12-06-2011, 12:20 AM
My oakley jacket is light,thin and warm, right around $400 though

jaylo
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Also wanted to add my 2 cents here as I was also looking for a decent parka. I looked and researched for two months and went and bought a Marmot Dawson Parka during boxing day.

Best part of this jacket is the MemBrain technology as the fabric is both Breathable and Waterproof, unlike other down parkas especially the Canada Goose ones.

Also at 3 lbs and 6.5 oz., it is the lightest, breathable 700 fill down parka out there

They stock these at liveoutthere downtown on the corner of 8th Ave and 1st Street SW if you ever want to look at them

http://marmot.com/catalog/mens/outerwear/insulated/216-222-310

msommers
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
That's a really nice jacket and reasonably priced! Great post.

psycoticclown
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I picked up a Nobis Cartel jacket for 25% off back in December. Ended up paying around $500 for it. Warmest jacket I've ever worn by far. I tested all the down Canada Goose, MooseKnuckles, North Face, etc, none of them come close.

redline
01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
http://www.cgsalesshop.com/

big sale on Canada Goose jackets... puts them in price range

psycoticclown
01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
^^I think those are fake jackets as the prices seem too good. Site is also listed here too: http://www.canada-goose.com/counterfeiting/

jsn
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
If anyone's interested in those Milwaukee heated jackets, the shop in Kensington (hillhurst hardware) still has some. I was on a back order list with home depot, but one of the representatives called me and told me they were no longer carrying them because they're out of production. I just picked one up today. Doubt it'll hold up in a blizzard, but seems like it'll keep you warm if you wear it under a shell or something. I bought it to wear under coveralls.

flipstah
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
I picked up a Nobis Cartel jacket for 25% off back in December. Ended up paying around $500 for it. Warmest jacket I've ever worn by far. I tested all the down Canada Goose, MooseKnuckles, North Face, etc, none of them come close.

Where did you buy that and how does it compare to the other ones you've tested? Heavier/lighter? How warm is it? etc.

I need to replace my Columbia jacket.

almerick
01-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Wow, I know which jacket I'm buying next :thumbsup:

psycoticclown
01-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I picked mine up at Hot Gossip. It's a pretty heavy jacket, super super warm. I can go out in -20 with only a t shirt on. It's noticeably warmer then other brands. It also has armpit vents too for when you're in the mall. The fur around the hood is shapeable too.

yipb
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
good luck!

psycoticclown
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh and it has a buncha other sweet features too like the windflap is magnetic, so much more convenient. The jacket also has a layer which keeps your sweat from getting to the down and making the jacket smell.

http://www.nrjjeans.com/site/images/stories/nobis%20cartel%20grey.jpg

max_boost
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
That jacket is so balling.

Civic_Drift
01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
How are down jackets like in terms of warmth and comfort?

flipstah
01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Civic_Drift
How are down jackets like in terms of warmth and comfort?

Down jackets are warmer than synthetic jackets but are bulky in nature so comfort in terms of maneuverability is lower than others.

I'm going to check out Atmosphere for a possible sale. Unless people know a sale that is to die for?!

Or maybe a lightly-enjoyed Canada Goose jacket? :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Down jackets are warm and comfortable. Some look a bit puffy. The newer ones are more stylish and have more color choices.

flipstah
01-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Ever heard of Napapijiri?

http://www.harryrosen.com/eng/products/outerwear/parka/orange_puffer_parka?53550681

Looks nice...

Also, anyone selling their Canada Goose jacket? PM me as I need it for site. :thumbsup:

flipstah
01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Bit the bullet with a North Face Gotham from Atmosphere. On sale at Atmosphere for a good deal plus, buy one get one 50% winter accessories!

So not only the jacket, I bought a liner glove and a North Face Summit Series mitts! :love:

So warm and very affordable.

jaylo
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Ever heard of Napapijiri?

http://www.harryrosen.com/eng/products/outerwear/parka/orange_puffer_parka?53550681

Looks nice...

Also, anyone selling their Canada Goose jacket? PM me as I need it for site. :thumbsup:

I have a Small Expedition Parka brand new with tags if you are interested

flipstah
01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jaylo

I have a Small Expedition Parka brand new with tags if you are interested

PM sent. Decisions, decisions...

desi112
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM

PM sent. Decisions, decisions...

Picked up the Eddie Bauer parka for 193 with tax yesterday, they're 50% of all goose down..rated -29.

jaylo
01-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I would say for the quality and longevity, I would suggest Marmot or Canada Goose parkas.
For the detail, material, and functionality factor Canada Goose owns the market right now. You'd have to see, feel, and try on the Expedition Parkas to appreciate it and justify the cost

flipstah
01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Just did an experiment for the sake of science haha.

Temp: -21c
Clothing: TNF Gotham M with Summit Series mitts and wool liner gloves; polo shirt, long johns, jeans, wool socks, Puma Mostro
Observations: Stood outside 20 mins looking like a drug dealer. Jacket was warm but definitely need a parka.

My buttocks were freezing even with the long johns. It looks great but at a price.

Conclusion: Exchanging Gotham for the McMurdo parka.

desi112
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
FYI Canada goose jackets are less the. 50% goose down

psycoticclown
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I would say for the quality and longevity, I would suggest Marmot or Canada Goose parkas.
For the detail, material, and functionality factor Canada Goose owns the market right now. You'd have to see, feel, and try on the Expedition Parkas to appreciate it and justify the cost

That's what I thought too until I tried on the Nobis jacket. Noticeably thicker and warmer, I thought the CG jackets were super thick and super warm, the Nobis is easily much heavier and much warmer. Also has a lot of features that the CG's don't like pit vents for when you're walking around inside and want to keep cool, detachable hood, detachable fur also, 100% Canadian goose down, a wire that is located inside the fur lining so that you can shape the shape of the fur, the wind flap has magnets so you can open and close it easier and the cuffs have thumbhole openings.

jaylo
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by desi112

You need to get your facts straightened out.

Canada Goose jackets use Premium White Duck Down recognized by The Down Association of Canada (Downmark.ca)

In Layman's term, you get the best down quality and performance compare to the lesser priced down jackets out there.

Is goose down better than duck down? Maybe, depending on the quality.

desi112
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM

You need to get your facts straightened out.

Canada Goose jackets use Premium White Duck Down recognized by The Down Association of Canada (Downmark.ca)

In Layman's term, you get the best down quality and performance compare to the lesser priced down jackets out there.

Is goose down better than duck down? Maybe, depending on the quality.

What fact? The fact that it's not duck?

almerick
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
It's sad to see that Canada Goose brand has the stigma of being for douchebags now. I bought mine a few years back for the sole purpose of keeping me warm. It was difficult to track down due to it's exclusitivity but now it seems every location carries this jacket and people buy it just for the branding.

Oh well I still wear mine and it keeps me warm.

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/inception-HATERS-GONNA-HATE.jpg

Impreza
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by almerick
It's sad to see that Canada Goose brand has the stigma of being for douchebags now. I bought mine a few years back for the sole purpose of keeping me warm. It was difficult to track down due to it's exclusitivity but now it seems every location carries this jacket and people buy it just for the branding.

Oh well I still wear mine and it keeps me warm.

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/inception-HATERS-GONNA-HATE.jpg

Can't agree more. I bought my CG jacket 3years ago, before all the local big retailers were carrying it. Was actually quite hard to get a hold of. I bought it cause I hate freezing in the winter lol. I still wear it now, but I feel like a giant douchebag lol

Canucks3322
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Bullshit. This is like people who justify buying 300 dollar jeans a couple years back....my gf is deathly afraid of the cold, I finally got her a goose down parka from MEC 2 days ago, it was on sale for $170, regular $270...I can guarentee you it is as warm if not warmer than a Canada Goose coat, especially comparing against the newer more fashionable models that still sell for $700. Justify it anyway you want, but spending $700 on a coat is "douchey". Not looking down on you guys it's your choice and whatever makes you happy, I just think it's so stupid to listen to you guys justify it. Are you living long term in the Arctic? or Yukon...or Winnipeg...because that's what they were originally made for. The worst is when you see these people wearing them walking around the mall or when it's only -5 outside because you know they have been waiting so long to wear it so they can show off how much money the spent (or borrowed) to buy it. :rolleyes: Just admit it, you got it because you want people to think you are cool and have money to spend and to impress chicks., again not that there's anything wrong with that. Reminds me of the late 90s and early 2000s when everyone wanted a Northface puffy jacket.

jaylo
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

You may want to fix your broken English as I tried to interpret it as "FYI Canada goose jackets are less than 50% goose down"

What fact? The fact that it's not duck?

Canada Goose is the Registered brand name and they use duck down for their jackets.

almerick
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Nope bought mine because I hate the cold.

flipstah
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Erm... Back on topic.

The McMurdo parka has a neat cord doohickey at the waist so that wind doesn't blow into the jacket! Different story when you're sitting down but whatever haha.

Which parkas should I look into that would be seen as a competitor of the CG Expedition?

jaylo
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Erm... Back on topic.

The McMurdo parka has a neat cord doohickey at the waist so that wind doesn't blow into the jacket! Different story when you're sitting down but whatever haha.

Which parkas should I look into that would be seen as a competitor of the CG Expedition?

Hey, I would look into the Marmot parka line if you want the lightness factor and fill power. But they are more of a relaxed fit than modern fit so expect to look like a marshmallow when you wear them.

The next one up would be Arc'teryx jackets, I have not had one but I have heard they are very functional but at the same time very expensive too

msommers
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
my gf is deathly afraid of the cold, I finally got her a goose down parka from MEC 2 days ago, it was on sale for $170, regular $270...I can guarentee you it is as warm if not warmer than a Canada Goose coat, especially comparing against the newer more fashionable models that still sell for $700.

I'm a huge MEC fan, I really believe in their quality and you get very good value in their products. Their return policy is the best I know of. I can't say enough good things about MEC.

While I suspect MEC does offer a paraka that is comparable to CG's Expedition model, you "guarenteeing" it's the same or better is a whole load of shit that you can't back up at all. If you had evidence to back it up, you would have shared it with us.

Lots of the CG supporters like to mention that people who live and work in the Arctic wear CG because it is warm. Well, it is and I won't argue with that. But do you think they're just wearing a fucking t-shirt underneath all that?!

flipstah
01-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Hey, I would look into the Marmot parka line if you want the lightness factor and fill power. But they are more of a relaxed fit than modern fit so expect to look like a marshmallow when you wear them.

The next one up would be Arc'teryx jackets, I have not had one but I have heard they are very functional but at the same time very expensive too

I was thinking of the Marmot Dawson parka too but Atmosphere doesn't carry it. =( Perhaps Out There Sports(?) does...

Arc'teryx? Where are they made from? Also China?

msommers
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Arcteryx makes good stuff but it's priced high as well. Personally I'd only use them for shells. I've researched Norrona quite a bit and while I haven't personally used them, I wouldn't hesitate to look into their stuff. The only place I know of to get it is online at backcountry.com

desi112
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM

You may want to fix your broken English as I tried to interpret it as "FYI Canada goose jackets are less than 50% goose down"

Canada Goose is the Registered brand name and they use duck down for their jackets.

haha, broken English? it was a typo on an Iphone. You are stupid.

flipstah
01-21-2012, 07:50 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348071/hunters-i-need-help-/

Anybody modded their faux fur lining for the real deal? :)

jaylo
01-21-2012, 10:13 PM
You'd probably end up spending more to retrofit real fur on your jacket based on the websites you provided. Several parka style jackets have faux fur that is removable (zipper)

Merritt
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
There's plenty of sale right now going on at Chinook Mall, check out there...huuuuuuuuuge discounts for winter jackets

flipstah
01-22-2012, 01:22 AM
You'd probably end up spending more to retrofit real fur on your jacket based on the websites you provided. Several parka style jackets have faux fur that is removable (zipper)

True but I'm searching for the best method possible. Mine is removable but I need the fur up north.

To be fair, it will still be cheaper than CG. :)

Proyecto2000
01-22-2012, 01:44 AM
any have any thoughts on Parajumper jackets? I am interested in buying a Gobi, but not sure if it would be worth the money especially after trying on a Descente Stockholm in Banff last weekend :drool:

flipstah
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
MJPXFnG9ZSc

idriveabox
01-22-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www2.marks.com/productDetails.asp?productID=915

Also a coupon for 20% off if you sign up online. I just got this in black, size S. 600 fill down.

psycoticclown
01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
any have any thoughts on Parajumper jackets? I am interested in buying a Gobi, but not sure if it would be worth the money especially after trying on a Descente Stockholm in Banff last weekend :drool:

Parajumpers are all hype. Not very warm at all. Out of all the down jackets I tried, they were the most expensive and least warm. Look kinda cool but for the price, much nicer jackets out there imo. I've tested numerous CG, North Face, Mooseknuckle, Moncler and Hugo Boss down jackets and they were all warmer and cheaper then the Parajumper ones.

flipstah
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

Also a coupon for 20% off if you sign up online. I just got this in black, size S. 600 fill down.

Let us know how it goes when it's -30 and below! :D

Parajumpers are all hype. Not very warm at all. Out of all the down jackets I tried, they were the most expensive and least warm. Look kinda cool but for the price, much nicer jackets out there imo. I've tested numerous CG, North Face, Mooseknuckle, Moncler and Hugo Boss down jackets and they were all warmer and cheaper then the Parajumper ones.

That's a shame. Parajumpers look sweet and was actually contemplating in getting one after reading it here. Guess not...

idriveabox
01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by flipstah
[B]

Let us know how it goes when it's -30 and below! :D

Living in Toronto for a year, no -30 here haha. Pretty warm for the price though, $90 all in.

alloroc
01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

I was about to recommend the same thing.

I have a much older version of the same jacket and it kicks ass.

b.rock1
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
i'm a big fan of my killtec level 10. the only place i've seen that sells killtec is the ski cellar on kensington/crowchild.

the jackets run anywhere from $200 (level 2) to $800 (level 10) dollars, but if you go when they have a sale you can get some crazy deals on older stuff.

these are pretty serious jackets, incredibly warm, water-proof pockets, heat reflective lining, etc.

CLiVE
01-23-2012, 10:52 PM
....my gf is deathly afraid of the cold, I finally got her a goose down parka from MEC 2 days ago, it was on sale for $170, regular $270...I can guarentee you it is as warm if not warmer than a Canada Goose coat,

I've had a few MEC jackets, as well as Canada Goose jackets. In my opinion bang for your buck the MEC jackets are good, but not nearly as warm as CG jackets. Also the zippers and stitching seem to be of lower quality on the MEC jackets and often don't last. I've had my current Canada Goose jacket for 3 years now, and expect many more winters out of it. I can fully justify the cost if I get many years wear out of it.

Also bought a Canada Goose jacket for my wife, as he commutes 200 kms/day on the hwy in winter. Nice to know she at least has a warm jacket if she gets stranded, however I always buy MEC jackets for my daughter, given the lower price point and how fast she grows out of them.

I have had Columbia, North Face, Helly Hansen, Marmot, Loki, and several other parkas. Would still recommend Canada Goose jackets over any of these.

BMW Power
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
anyone tried the AE utility parka? Got one today, its really heavy and feels comfortable, curious to know how it will hold up around -30 celsius

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6699390967_a4996af8ec_b.jpg