sexualbanana
11-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Yay or nay?

lint
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
nope

pf0sh0
11-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't, and I think they don't expect it.

GQBalla
11-09-2011, 04:39 PM
i don't

aget
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Nope

A790
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Is the food nice and hot when I get it?

Was the cashier/server/whomever pleasant and well kept?

Was it bagged so I could easily transport it?

If "yes" to those three questions, a 10% tip is given :)

adam c
11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
if it's a big order then yet, otherwise no

dirtsniffer
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
fuck no. I'm sick of all this tipping bullshit.

Cos
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
No unless they deserve it (like the wonton king near urban x south). It only takes about 20 seconds to get your food and the cashier lady is funny as shit.

Otherwise the mall rats and shit? No.

cdnsir
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
No way! A 10sec walk from the kitchen to the front does not require any type of service skills.

max_boost
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
OK what about this situation.

I had a customer last week come in to pick up her order.

Bill was something like $41.27, she leaves $47.27 so two $20bills, a $5bill, a toonie and 27cents. I told her she had too much money but she said "no no that's good". So I thought, oh nice lady, $6 tip on takeout.

5 minutes later she came back and said she thought the bill was "blah blah blah" and asked for a $5 back and I gave it back to her so I only got $1 tip.

BTW, I don't expect tips on take out but any and all tips are appreciated.

max_boost
11-09-2011, 04:59 PM
BTW would you Beyond baller guys have gone back in to ask for a $5bill back after you told the good looking guy (me), "no no that's good" AFTER I reminded you that you had too much money. ? :D

colinxx235
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
fast food places that have it on the debit/credit machine annoy me... seriously, you punched two keys in on the machine and someone should tip you?

colinxx235
11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
BTW would you Beyond baller guys have gone back in to ask for a $5bill back after you told the good looking guy (me), "no no that's good" AFTER I reminded you that you had too much money. ? :D

fuck no, thats embarrassing. accidentally overtip, live with it... its 5 bucks, not like you threw an extra 0 onto 50 for example.

Cos
11-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Fuck no. I would have done a :facepalm: and then drove off. Especially since she was trying to be sneaky cheap. I know this doesnt make sense but I hate tipping $1.00. Either going to tip $3 or $5 or nothing at all.

Guillermo
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
i think there are other threads about this, but no, I don't tip on takeout. There isn't any real "service" being provided, and their profit is already built into the price. have to agree with dirtsniffer that this tipping business is out of control. when I was a kid, the norm was 10%. then it slowly creeped up to 15%, and now the expected amount is 20%. :eek:

people bitch and moan about the servers not being able to survive on their wages, etc... and my answer to that is: get a different fucking job. i don't understand why servers expect to get rich without any education, skills, or ambition to attain either. :dunno:

not to mention that servers don't really pay taxes on their income anyhow, so we're all footing the bill for them there as well.

Boat
11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
If they are busy and running around, I feel bad and tip them a couple bucks. When I was a server I never expect a tip from takeout, but its still nice to get, just like getting a tip as a carry out.

Depending on where you order from, there's a certain amount of prep a server has to do. For instance, at Denny's they have to make milkshakes, and in busy times its a real bitch.

Maybe I'm biased .:dunno:

To sum up: Subjective for me

max_boost
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
For sure "it depends".

If you have a complicated order, and the server goes out of the way to really help make sure "it's right", and he/she has to tip out, then maybe you should tip.

But if it's over the counter, cashier type, then definitely no.

Tik-Tok
11-09-2011, 05:17 PM

$5 says her bf/husband gave her shit for tipping on take-out, lol.

schocker
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
fast food places that have it on the debit/credit machine annoy me... seriously, you punched two keys in on the machine and someone should tip you?
Well like starbucks near my office has that. I only get regular coffee generally, so not wanting to look like a dick I use a gift card :angel:

Type_S1
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i think there are other threads about this, but no, I don't tip on takeout. There isn't any real "service" being provided, and their profit is already built into the price. have to agree with dirtsniffer that this tipping business is out of control. when I was a kid, the norm was 10%. then it slowly creeped up to 15%, and now the expected amount is 20%. :eek:

people bitch and moan about the servers not being able to survive on their wages, etc... and my answer to that is: get a different fucking job. i don't understand why servers expect to get rich without any education, skills, or ambition to attain either. :dunno:

not to mention that servers don't really pay taxes on their income anyhow, so we're all footing the bill for them there as well.

I want to fist bump you right now! Tipping is such bullshit and is expected even with bad service. I am probably the biggest ass when it comes to tipping. I am not cheap but if you do something to bother me during my meal...no tip ex. taking 20 minutes to come back around to refill a drink at the table or ask if we want another drinker, take 25 minutes to come take my order etc. etc.

Here's my cheat sheet:

Bad Server: 0% - Your an idiot/mentally challenged and bothered me or my party some how

Sub-Par Server: 5% - Wow you need to find a different job. You are not mentally challenged and my food came...but certainly this is not your calling...try janitorial work

Average server: 10% - did your job, nothing to fast, nothing to slow

Good Sever: 12-15% This should be what every server is. Makes the customer happy and makes your meal enjoyable.

Great Server: 15-20% This guy is going straight to that assistant manager position. Works hard, makes you laugh, ADDS something to your experience and makes it better.

Auto 20% - a girl scoring 8-10/10 on hottie scale with a low cut shirt flirting with me.

npham
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I usually only tip for takeout at places where I normally frequent. This in turn makes for better service when I'm actually dining in their restaurant. But typically, I don't tip like the rest of you...and no way I'd be going back to get my 5 bucks. If 5 bucks is going to break you or make you turn around and drive back for it, you shouldn't be eating out.

Euro838
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Well like starbucks near my office has that. I only get regular coffee generally, so not wanting to look like a dick I use a gift card :angel:

+1 for using gift cards! Unlike debit and credit, there's no tip option when using a gift card! Awesome! :thumbsup:

SpeedIllusion
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
If you guys hate to tip, you should try living in Shanghai. Not tipping is the norm and tipping is frowned upon, if you tip you're probably not from there LOL

Kloubek
11-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I always tip if I sit down at a place, but never for takeout. The only time I would expect to have to tip is if they had two chicks take me to the back while I waited for my food. Even then, it would depend on how good they were.

sexualbanana
11-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Just curious on your thoughts. Glad I'm not the only one. I got takeout a while back and the bill comes to like $14.69 or whatever. I give the guy a 20 and he asks how much I want back. I was like 'all of it. unless I can give this tip directly to the kitchen (which I know I can't since I used to work there), YOU aren't getting anything.'

Okay, I didn't actually say all that extra stuff, but I was still thought that was a stupid question.

adidas
11-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I always tip if I sit down at a place, but never for takeout. The only time I would expect to have to tip is if they had two chicks take me to the back while I waited for my food. Even then, it would depend on how good they were.

Calm down bro ur bald.

Kloubek
11-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Calm down bro ur bald.

Not sure what that has to do with anything... I get more women interested now than ever before. I'm also married. It was a joke.

Hallowed_point
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I honestly get freaken choked when I get that tip option prompt at a place like Jugo Juice or Opa. When I see that come up I just think you gotta be kidding me! :banghead: :whipped: Shady franchises doing this that would probably get in major sh*t from head office for doing this!

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
The Mucho Burrito in the Suncor (Old PetroCan building) downtown has a tip option on their debit/credit machines. Lol.

Isaiah
11-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I always tip at actual restaurants, takeout or otherwise. Sometimes even at fast food places. We went to Sonic in San Francisco and left the girl a $5 tip which I'm sure made her day.

I think of it as blessing someone else. It costs me less than what it does for them so I consider it a great return on my money.

tictactoe2004
11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I was at a liquor store last week and they have a tips jar at the cash register. I thought it was one of those take a penny, leave a penny things till I saw it said something about "Tipping" on it. Come on, lol, a unionized superstore cashier looking for tips? Give me a break. :facepalm:

jdmXSI
11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I tip on take out sometimes and when i do its never % based. ie: if my bill was $23.50 i'd just round it to $25.

botox
11-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, but just a bit cause I don't like carrying change around and will just round off to the nearest buck or so.

rc2002
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The Mucho Burrito in the Suncor (Old PetroCan building) downtown has a tip option on their debit/credit machines. Lol.

Only the machine on the right does.

BokCh0y
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
nope, not for take out.

masoncgy
11-11-2011, 11:56 PM
No... and when I come across those stupid debit/credit pin pads with the tip prompt I always make sure to really embellish that I am pressing the bypass key...

403Gemini
11-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Can anybody in the service industry verify this:

I've heard the person who answers the phone/punches in the order inputs it into the machine like it's treated as a regular purchase whether its take out or sit in, and at the end of their shift, they have to pay a % of their tips to the kitchen staff for every transaction, and if they got a 0% tip for that transaction, they still need to pay out of their own tips still.

Just wondering if there is any truth to that, if so, sucks to be the bartender who takes those orders :thumbsdow

vengie
11-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Some of you should realize the tip is for the kitchen guys MAKING your food, not for the cashier taking payment. So yes, I tip.

sputnik
11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't tip for takeout.

For the same reason that I don't tip vending machines.

vengie
11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I've heard the person who answers the phone/punches in the order inputs it into the machine like it's treated as a regular purchase whether its take out or sit in, and at the end of their shift, they have to pay a % of their tips to the kitchen staff for every transaction, and if they got a 0% tip for that transaction, they still need to pay out of their own tips still.

Just wondering if there is any truth to that, if so, sucks to be the bartender who takes those orders :thumbsdow

At most restaurants yes, they tip out the kitchen a % of every food sale. Server tip outs that I've seen vary from 3.5-7% of a bill.

sputnik
11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by vengie

At most restaurants yes, they tip out the kitchen a % of every food sale. Server tip outs that I've seen vary from 3.5-7% of a bill.

Incorrect.

Most takeout sales at restaurants have a separate code so that none of the serving staff has to tip out for it.

colinxx235
11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Joeys chinook worked as follows. Someone calls in for take-out. If it was not busy I would give to the bartender, they tipped out 1% at joeys (at least at the time I was there). So often people would place a $30-40 order, and if it was a guy they would make sure a girl packaged up and handed his order over. This often resulted in a $5 tip for couple seconds of work.

But if it was super busy or the person left exact amount, they would transfer it to the hostess stand who would either take the order, or just take the bill amount over and no one would lose money.

At the keg, all takeout orders were done through the hostess stand. They tipped out 0% also.

The common scenario that I would get torched on would be two women come in for a 4pm early supper. Half way both would order food for their families and take out. They would have a sitdown bill of $30 and a take-out of say $70. Often they would tip ~$5 as they figure they only ate 30 bucks worth here. After tipout you were left with basically zero.

tictactoe2004
11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
They would have a sitdown bill of $30 and a take-out of say $70. Often they would tip ~$5 as they figure they only ate 30 bucks worth here.

But they did eat only $30 worth of food there? What do you expect, a $15-$20 tip for someone who orders take out for their family?

I'll tip for three things, my haircut, when I get food delivered, or when I sit down in a restaurant. No way I'm paying a tip for take-out, fast food, or something like a superstore cashier.

Mibz
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm with A790. Tips go to the kitchen as well. It's a few bucks, they probably need it more than me and it can't hurt my reputation with the business. I tip on absolutely everything at my regular spots.

Hallowed_point
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I don't tip for takeout.

:rofl: Nice one.

msommers
11-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Why do people bother with these tipping threads? Tipping here follows absolutely no structure or logic. Everyone feels differently about who doesn't deserve their "extra" money and who is a cheap fuck for not tipping.

colinxx235
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

But they did eat only $30 worth of food there? What do you expect, a $15-$20 tip for someone who orders take out for their family?

I'll tip for three things, my haircut, when I get food delivered, or when I sit down in a restaurant. No way I'm paying a tip for take-out, fast food, or something like a superstore cashier.

Don't believe I ever stated I expected anything? Just said it was a common occurence which would result in me not making any money off that particular table. Some people know how it works, and would throw you an extra $5 bucks so that you make your original tip. Some don't and you make 0. All part of the service industry.

ga16i
11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
The only tip for takeout from me is whatever coins are available as a part of my change if I paid cash.

I'm more likely to give to people who personally ask me for a specific amount of money on the street than those just expecting a tip for doing not much of anything.

If I had it in my wallet, I wouldn't hesitate if someone came up to me and straight out asked if I had $20 to give them.

vengie
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Incorrect.

Most takeout sales at restaurants have a separate code so that none of the serving staff has to tip out for it.

Not incorrect.

The place I bartend at runs as such. If the servers ring in food to go, you better believe they tip out on it.

J-hop
11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm with A790. Tips go to the kitchen as well. It's a few bucks, they probably need it more than me and it can't hurt my reputation with the business. I tip on absolutely everything at my regular spots.

agreed, if its a regular spot I tip no matter what. If it is a one time deal though I usually am more inclined to tip for take out at small establishments where the person taking your order is the person making it or if its family owned etc.

when I was living at home we used to get take out from a Vietnamese place every second week or so. My dad started tipping and the time it took for them to prepare our meals went down. They even gave us a giant bottle of their special dipping sauce for christmas one year. Sometimes it pays off to tip even for takeout.

vengie
11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I re-read through this thread... And I shake my head at many of the responses.

I have been a part time bartender for 3.5 years, paying my way through school, as are most of our staff. People in the service industry are generally paid minimum wage and tip out again (from what I've seen) 3.5-7% of their total ring out to kitchen, support staff, etc.

Some people are simply HORRIBLE servers, and believe me should be tipped accordingly, but the general consensus I am getting from many responses in this thread is people feel tipping is unnecessary!

I give every new face the best service I possibly can, serve them as I would like to be served... Trust me guys, servers remember bad tippers... Noone wants to serve a bad tipper with stereotypically a brutal attitude for minimum wage.

Take it how you will! That's the service industry.

dirtsniffer
11-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I was under the impression kitchens were only tipped out on food sales. It's not like servers give up half of the average tip to the kitchen.

vengie
11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I was under the impression kitchens were only tipped out on food sales. It's not like servers give up half of the average tip to the kitchen.

The end of night tip out does not go directly to the kitchen, it goes to a "tip pool" and from that pool the kitchen, support staff, management etc.

SilverGS
11-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by vengie
I re-read through this thread... And I shake my head at many of the responses.

I have been a part time bartender for 3.5 years, paying my way through school, as are most of our staff. People in the service industry are generally paid minimum wage and tip out again (from what I've seen) 3.5-7% of their total ring out to kitchen, support staff, etc.

Some people are simply HORRIBLE servers, and believe me should be tipped accordingly, but the general consensus I am getting from many responses in this thread is people feel tipping is unnecessary!

I give every new face the best service I possibly can, serve them as I would like to be served... Trust me guys, servers remember bad tippers... Noone wants to serve a bad tipper with stereotypically a brutal attitude for minimum wage.

Take it how you will! That's the service industry.

Where do you work?

3.5-7% is more than I have ever heard. Hell someone in this thread stated Joeys tips out at 1%. The place I was at was 2% and take out orders were put on a seperate account. If servers have to put takeout orders on their account and then tip out that amount then they should talk management about changing the policy instead of blaming customers who don't know about tip out policy.

The consensus is not that people feel tipping is unnecessary but should be earned not expected.

vengie
11-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Where do you work?

3.5-7% is more than I have ever heard. Hell someone in this thread stated Joeys tips out at 1%. The place I was at was 2% and take out orders were put on a seperate account. If servers have to put takeout orders on their account and then tip out that amount then they should talk management about changing the policy instead of blaming customers who don't know about tip out policy.

The consensus is not that people feel tipping is unnecessary but should be earned not expected.

I 100% agree earned not expected! Ive worked Ranchmans, Brewsters, moxies

masoncgy
11-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

The consensus is that tipping on take out is unnecessary. There's a difference!

403Gemini
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

Yeah I worked at Joey Tomatos in high school so I knew some of the tip out went to the kitchen (I worked in the kitchen , so i was unfamiliar how they had to pay out their tips thats why I asked).

Anyway, on topic, I do tip usually $1-3 when I pick up my food. Or if an order is $27~ i just give $30

Trinzler
11-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Depends on how friendly and quick the meal is ready, I usually leave a 5-er depending on how much I order. I generally always tip people that I see regularly for services, it keeps things running smoothly :poosie:

04Terminator
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
i tip a bit. like 5 to 10%.

wardpr68
11-25-2011, 01:14 PM
unless this is the mother load of all orders... unless they suck and swallow, why the hell would you tip? That's ridiculous.

Ven
11-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't tip for takeout.

Flawless Victory!

Sugarphreak
11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

max_boost
11-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That isn't limited to Shanghai, it is all thoughout China.

btw, I fucking love the idea that you pay exactly what you get billed and in turn the server is paid by her boss... tipping is bull shit.

It gets a bit confusing and I say it's just a matter of time before tipping starts happening there with all the foreigners etc.

In Hong Kong 10% is automatically added to the bill.

lilmira
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
In Japan, you don't tip, they don't expect tip and the service is awesome. Don't know what the problem is?

cosmok
11-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Tipping is just an excuse for employers to pay their staff less and make more money. Putting the onus on the consumer makes them not look like the bad guy for paying and treating their employees like shit.

03ozwhip
11-25-2011, 06:02 PM
i used to tip on debit macihnes while picking up an order because i felt like a douche if i didnt, but recently, i feel the same as everyone else.

they are doing a customer serice job, i do a customer service job. i dont get tipped, you dont get tipped, simple as that. didnt clue in til a little while ago lol

TomcoPDR
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

$5 says her bf/husband gave her shit for tipping on take-out, lol.

Sounds like she definitely wanted his wonton's in her mouth... Tik-Tok's right, then the bf/hubby didn't like the way he gave her too much plum sauce (without packets)

brucebanner
11-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Here's my cheat sheet:

Bad Server: 0% - Your an idiot/mentally challenged and bothered me or my party some how

Sub-Par Server: 5% - Wow you need to find a different job. You are not mentally challenged and my food came...but certainly this is not your calling...try janitorial work

Average server: 10% - did your job, nothing to fast, nothing to slow

Good Sever: 12-15% This should be what every server is. Makes the customer happy and makes your meal enjoyable.

Great Server: 15-20% This guy is going straight to that assistant manager position. Works hard, makes you laugh, ADDS something to your experience and makes it better.

Auto 20% - a girl scoring 8-10/10 on hottie scale with a low cut shirt flirting with me.

I consider myself an ass when it comes to tipping as well and use a similar method as you haha. My one friend in particular knows this well, if the server fucks up, he will often look at me and say well their tip just dropped or diminished. In my head, I allow them to recoup their tip, just doesn't happen that often, if you're a shitty server, you're a shitty server.:rofl:

Originally posted by jdmXSI
..when i do its never % based. ie: if my bill was $23.50 i'd just round it to $25.

I tip to whole increments as well but it's based off of the percentage I think they "worked for/deserve" and generally has to be to a 0 or 5. IE: A $16.34 bill has to be tipped to $20.00 or a $28.69 bill has to be tipped to $35.00.

Guess that's a little bit of OCD I have.:nut: