PDA

View Full Version : Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho

Pages : [1] 2

Shlade
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Im going for my H2S Alive ticket on Tuesday.

Im looking to start sending out my resume to where ever is hiring currently. I have NO idea where to start. Ill apply everywhere other than the toughneck or whatever its called (I heard its the worst one to do)

Please post sites where I can apply or whatever useful info you got

Thanks a bunch.

CUG
11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Go apply to an MWD company and get on as a hand. Do you have any kind of degree? You don't NEED to be a bitch on a rig... just saying.

Shlade
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
whats a MWD company? No degree.

Something i want to do for the next little while to pay some things off.

jsn
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I think you mean Roughneck. But yea, good idea avoiding that if possible. They're pretty much the bitch of the rig. They do all the menial tasks that no one else wants to do. MWD would be a sweet position. All the MWDs i've worked with seem to have it pretty damn easy.

adamc
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Go work rigs for a bit, learn what's it's like. If you have a degree you can maybe move in to one of the services (search MWD on this board, there are tons of threads).

Things are somewhat slow this November, you probably won't get a call until toward the end of the month.

Go to Nisku and apply in person if you can.

There are lots of threads about rigging, getting on, and what to expect.

Shlade
11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I have ZERO experience. I have no idea at all where to even look.

adamc
11-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Read all the rig threads on this board, there are recent threads with lists of drilling companies.

All the recruiting offices are in Nisku, drive up there and talk to the recruiters in person.

Go home and wait for a phone call.

CUG
11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, usually if you're working your way up from "roughneck" the education system has failed you, or you've failed the education system. Some people make well, but avoid the culture of financial illiteracy that is plaguing all of these ballers who can't seem to stretch $100,000 over a 365 day period.

Shlade
11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
as much as I want the job I dont think I want to drive to Nisku just to talk to somebody then drive all the way back. There has to be some offices here in Calgary...

adamc
11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
There are people out there that just like the work though, there's so much stigma associated with working on the rigs.

A good friend has been in it for 7 years, drilling now, started as a means to pay off his student loans - loves the job, has amazing career opportunities in front of him now, and is making 170 a year.

Used to be all farm kids, idiots that couldn't get other work, and degenerates. Now you see kids paying their way through law school in the summers, people that have left other professional careers because they like the work, all types.

adamc
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
as much as I want the job I dont think I want to drive to Nisku just to talk to somebody then drive all the way back. There has to be some offices here in Calgary...

Might as well save your time and money then, you'll never make it on the rigs.

I'm being 100% serious and not trying to be a dick. Save your time, and the drilling company's time.

Shlade
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I realise what your saying but there has to be options here in Calgary that I can check out no? Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.

Florida_Son
11-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by adamc
Go work rigs for a bit, learn what's it's like. If you have a degree you can maybe move in to one of the services (search MWD on this board, there are tons of threads).

Things are somewhat slow this November, you probably won't get a call until toward the end of the month.

Go to Nisku and apply in person if you can.

There are lots of threads about rigging, getting on, and what to expect.

That's what I did. Drove out to Red Deer, got the H2S, and then headed to Leduc/Nisku to apply in person. Hoping things do pick up at the end of the month. I'm anxious to get started.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.
It is when you work in the oil industry

davidI
11-10-2011, 01:26 AM
It doesn't seem like you're willing to put much work into this whole finding a job thing. I wouldn't hire you. Just sayin'.

GordonGekko
11-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm in school now but hoping to get a rig job this summer. Do the service companies typically take on students for May through August?

Q-TIP
11-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Man, if you can't drive 2.5 hours to Nisku then you have serious problems. 5 hours round trip is half what a lot of guys drive 3 times a month in this industry.

You sound lazy, ignorant and will more than likely not make it on the rigs even if you want to. I've seen a ton of jobs in Calgary just ripe for the taking, you'll make a fraction of what you would working on the rigs for the winter but you might be happier.

Also, if you want to work the rigs with no education and apparently no ambition you WILL be the rig bitch. Either take your lumps and prove yourself or do something else with your life.

Q-TIP
11-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by GordonGekko
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm in school now but hoping to get a rig job this summer. Do the service companies typically take on students for May through August?

There might be some work in late June-August (more likely July) but probably not enough for a service company to hire you on for a short term. I pretty much pack up the microscope and head out of the country from mid April until June 15.

Cos
11-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I've met Shalde and I dont think it is a lazyness issue, I think it is an inexperience issue. I dont think he realizes why we are saying he has to be in Nisku. You are going to have to drive a TON more than that. I drive about 15,000km a year for work and am out of town a TON and it is a break from being in the patch. Haha

You are going to have to get in your car and get up there. Everyone in Calgary wants to be in the oilpatch and they get tons of resumes every day. You have to stand out and show you are willing to work. There is a lot of people who get the job and then bug out. I was one of them. Read this thread below for the realities that you are going to face:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=341177&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Some people can cut it, and some even love it, but you have to be a specific type.

Also check this video of the crew on the floor. At 2:xx minutes that is the tongs, that is how a lot of guys break their arms if they arent careful or they slip. Also if you are on crew when they have to trip and it is a deep hole, you are pulling that pipe out of the ground, unscrewing it, and racking it as fast as you can go. For 12 hours. Depending on the rig you are on (I was on a triple) those things are 45' long! If you watch they are tripping in for whatever reason. Maybe just changed a drill bit or finished up some casing. Tripping in/out is a bitch. When you actually drill, the string spins and slowly goes into the hole. During that time you are scrubbing shit and cleaning, waiting until you have to add another string:

Also just to note. That looks like night shift and it looks warm out. They arent wearing any warm clothes or boots.

aslU2nKDe8I

Your H2S Alive is a good start but you will need to take more. Dont give up and bust your butt. From the little I know about you I think you could do a good job, the physical aspect is a big part of it and I think you would like it.

Good luck bud.

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I realise what your saying but there has to be options here in Calgary that I can check out no? Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.

No, there isn't.

Try delivering pizza.

I drive between 3000 and 6000 km a month. Nisku is just a hop skip and a jump away.

project240
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by adamc

Might as well save your time and money then, you'll never make it on the rigs.

I'm being 100% serious and not trying to be a dick. Save your time, and the drilling company's time.

Completely agree. When I worked on the rigs several years back, I drove out to Nisku 10.5 hours from Sask. Drove home the next day and 2 days later drove back out to start working.

As others have said, if you are serious, drive out there. Honestly, takes you less than a full day to drive out and go see a bunch of companies and you complain "it's not exactly a short drive" :rofl:

Shlade
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for some of the most un useful info in this thread. I like how you post and think Im lazy. Nicely done.

I have work, lets put it that way. I dont exactly have much time to just get in my car and drive all the way up there. 2.5 hours is nothing. Ive done much longer drives.

The drive is not an issue. I can commute from Calgary to Fort mac if I needed to I dont care. My issue is driving out to Nisku for one day then driving all the way back.

BUT after looking at some things such as Akita Drilling, or Horizon drilling and a few others it seems as if everything is in Nisku. SO I do suppose I should pucker up and go for the drive. Dont mock my ambition. Ive got a lot of heart going into this. This is something ive been meaning to do for a while now. I just need to be pointed in the right direction to find out where to go.

Now I need some serious answers and not any schooling from some of you who have posted in here.

What is the first step... What do I need to do. Ill drive up there on Tuesday evening if I need to just to be there for wednesday morning I do not care. What should I bring with me? A bunch of resumes is a start right? Certificates?

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
It's not useless info. It's insane how many phone calls and resumes they get. Showing up in person is a guaranteed job in almost every case.

Dress decent, look clean. Bring resumes. Have all your safety tickets with you. Be able to pass a piss test on the spot (happened to me and people I know).

Calgary is a corporate epicentre. To get work you need to look elsewhere. Nisku is the best. Brooks and area has drilling shops too. Only shop near Calgary I knew about was Ensign, and honestly I think it was just used as a storage yard for the rigs during the spring.

Grounds are starting to freeze. They will generally hire now to get ready for winter.

Type_S1
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
"I have no experience but don't want to be a bitch. I want to be paid good to pay things off. I'm lazy and don't want to drive 5 hrs for the possibility of a job. I'm lazy and would rather sit and post on beyond then actually maybe look for some companies in areas I want to work or google companies to see if positions or open."

Holy damn you sound like all the wall-street protestors :rofl:

Seriously man...google is your friend here and so are any friends or family you know working in the industry.

adamc
11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I already mentioned the list of drilling contractors in another thread right here on beyond.

If you can't manage to search and find that, you're really fucking useless.

I feel like we have this same thread every couple of months :banghead:

sputnik
11-10-2011, 01:13 PM

If you can't drive two and a half hours, you will NEVER survive on the rigs.

Are you seriously THAT lazy?

GordonGekko
11-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Q-TIP

There might be some work in late June-August (more likely July) but probably not enough for a service company to hire you on for a short term. I pretty much pack up the microscope and head out of the country from mid April until June 15.

Okay so it wouldn't be worth it for me to rip up to Nisku in March/April looking for a summer job? Where is all the work from May-August?

Cos
11-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Okay so it wouldn't be worth it for me to rip up to Nisku in March/April looking for a summer job? Where is all the work from May-August?

Getting drunk at the stampede

realazy
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM

A lot of fields are winter access, on muskeg that needs the ground to be frozen before you can drive on.

Also, you can't move heavy equipment when it's spring break-up, when all the snow starts melting and the ground turns to mush.

Florida_Son
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
The drive from Regina to Calgary was long as far as my trip was concerned, but I've done that drive many times over the years. I walked around a Wal-Mart for about 40 minutes in Calgary just to stretch my legs and then drove on to Red Deer to get my H2S and then on to Leduc/Nisku.

The drives to Red Deer and Nisku seemed like hops, skips, and jumps really. If I were you, I'd get my H2S and First Aid in Calgary and then head to Nisku/Edmonton for a day. Apply at Akita, Savanna, Ensign, Trinidad, Patterson, Horizon, Nabors, and Precision. You can even drive to Edmonton and apply at Beaver and Jomax Drilling if you want. You have an advantage by already living in the province.

GordonGekko
11-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by realazy

A lot of fields are winter access, on muskeg that needs the ground to be frozen before you can drive on.

Also, you can't move heavy equipment when it's spring break-up, when all the snow starts melting and the ground turns to mush.

Okay makes sense, thanks for the explanation. So what would you recommend to someone who wants to get some experience in the oil industry as a summer job? I'm assuming there must be some rigs that run through the spring. I don't care where I work work, like I said just want to get some hands on experience.

realazy
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Are you studying engineering?

Apply at producers and get a summer job as a relief operator.

GordonGekko
11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah I'm first year engineering. Applied to a few producers already and got an interview with Apache, but I haven't heard back and it's been two weeks. I know some producers don't hire until January for summer students (Husky is one) so I still have a chance there. Basically trying to figure out a plan B right now if I don't land a summer student position with a producer.

Perceptionist
11-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Lots of service companies are looking for people down in southern Saskatchewan. Medicine Hat and Estevan are both centres for service companies in the area.

johnboy27
11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
All the frac companies are hiring in Red deer for sure. Pretty much just need a pulse right now and you are in . We are hiring guys left and right just because we need bodies for work next year. It's fucking insane right now. No need to worry about breakup either because it usually only lasts a month for us( for the last 3 years anyway). Also, wages have increased so much over the past couple years that guys with 3+ years experience are making drilling rig type of incomes.

Q-TIP
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah I'm first year engineering. Applied to a few producers already and got an interview with Apache, but I haven't heard back and it's been two weeks. I know some producers don't hire until January for summer students (Husky is one) so I still have a chance there. Basically trying to figure out a plan B right now if I don't land a summer student position with a producer.

Try Datalog wireline. They might still be looking for wireline operators. Mediocre work, decent pay but they do a lot of mining stuff in the summer months to make up for the lack of O&G work.

Q-TIP
11-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for some of the most un useful info in this thread. I like how you post and think Im lazy. Nicely done.

I have work, lets put it that way. I dont exactly have much time to just get in my car and drive all the way up there. 2.5 hours is nothing. Ive done much longer drives.

The drive is not an issue. I can commute from Calgary to Fort mac if I needed to I dont care. My issue is driving out to Nisku for one day then driving all the way back.

BUT after looking at some things such as Akita Drilling, or Horizon drilling and a few others it seems as if everything is in Nisku. SO I do suppose I should pucker up and go for the drive. Dont mock my ambition. Ive got a lot of heart going into this. This is something ive been meaning to do for a while now. I just need to be pointed in the right direction to find out where to go.

Now I need some serious answers and not any schooling from some of you who have posted in here.

What is the first step... What do I need to do. Ill drive up there on Tuesday evening if I need to just to be there for wednesday morning I do not care. What should I bring with me? A bunch of resumes is a start right? Certificates?

I can tell you right now with your attitude you won't last long unless you correct it. You will be "schooled" and you will be treated with very little respect. Deal with it or stay out of the patch. I'm the Geologist on site and I have had more than a few bitch sample catchers sent home because they had a sense of entitlement and were not doing their job like I asked. You show up green on a rig you will be catching a geo's samples and most of us have no qualms about walking down the shack and telling the company man to tell the push to have a mouthy sample catcher pack up.

If you can handle that then take your H2S, and First Aid courses, put them on your resume and take a few dozen with you. Go to the different recruiting offices, show them you are breathing and drive home.

themack89
11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm an academic who has no business being on a rig.. But I was there and did what most of these guys are suggesting.

I picked my ass up with a stack of resumes, drove up to Nisku (twice in one week actually, because recruiters werent there), and I shook some hands. I weighed 160lbs at 6"2 (which means I'm a toothpick) and guess what, I got a job.

Oh that's another thing, start working out if you don't already. I almost failed the physical they gave me, my BPM was up to 220, but I kept my poker face because I really wanted to see what it's like. It was funny, I remember literally almost puking from physical exhaustion on my first shift. Gained 30lb's pretty quick though.

Also, if you're an academic you probably won't fit in with whatever crew you're put on. I got yelled at a lot and hardhats thrown at me, all in all it was a really good experience and I'm glad I did it.

Listen to the advice in this thread... It's 1000% true.

If you actually do get a job I really want to see how long you stay. I wanted to quit SOOO bad. And then I got my first paycheck. :poosie: After that I kinda enjoyed it.

Shlade
11-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks to all the people who love to think they know me :poosie: Your information was very useful ;)

Driving up to Nisku Wednesday morning with a crap load of resumes and going to talk to some people!

M.alex
11-11-2011, 10:06 PM
? -> I usually start working around 10:30-11am and need to telecommute 4, maybe 5, days a week.

Can I work on a rig? :)

ragu
11-11-2011, 11:32 PM
So everyone throws $ in their conversation quite a bit. So how much should Shlade expect to average $/hr within first six months?

Q-TIP
11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ragu
So everyone throws $ in their conversation quite a bit. So how much should Shlade expect to average $/hr within first six months?

Intro you are looking around $27 per hour. With overtime assuming a rotation of 2 on 1 off he should expect to gross around $8500 per month if his rig is busy (which they almost all are now). Pay increases quickly if he proves to be a good worker.

Shlade
11-12-2011, 12:28 AM
From what ive seen starting as a lease hand is about $27 like Q-TIP said.

As long as its 23$ minimum ill be happy. If its above that and I really do get $27 ill be even happier.

SKR
11-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Here is the list I posted in another thread of active drilling contractors.

Advance
Akita
Beaver
Betts
Big Sky
Bonanza
Camaro
Canelson
Champion
Chinook
Encore
Ensign
Excalibur
Horizon
Ironhand
Jomax
Lasso
Nabors
Panther
Partner
Patterson
Precision
Predator
Quintera
Red Dog
Savanna
Saxon
Technicoil
Tempco
Terroco
Trinidad
Vortex

Advance, Betts, Big Sky, Lasso, Panther, Red Dog, and Vortex all operate almost exclusively in southeast Saskatchewan, so you probably won't find them in Nisku. And Bonanza, Champion, Excalibur, and Quintera are all in Brooks. I assume the rest are in Nisku or Edmonton, but I don't know for sure.

Somebody said earlier to drive to Edmonton to apply at Jomax and Beaver. From what I hear, Jomax would be awesome to work for but I don't know if they hire new guys. I've been on one Beaver rig and it was less than sweet.

In the last five years, about the only time I've seen a Camaro or Saxon rig was when it was racked. I know I don't know everything that goes on, but I've never heard of anyone going to work on a rig for either company.

Don't bother stopping at Terroco.

Florida_Son
11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by SKR
Here is the list I posted in another thread of active drilling contractors.

Advance
Akita
Beaver
Betts
Big Sky
Bonanza
Camaro
Canelson
Champion
Chinook
Encore
Ensign
Excalibur
Horizon
Ironhand
Jomax
Lasso
Nabors
Panther
Partner
Patterson
Precision
Predator
Quintera
Red Dog
Savanna
Saxon
Technicoil
Tempco
Terroco
Trinidad
Vortex

Advance, Betts, Big Sky, Lasso, Panther, Red Dog, and Vortex all operate almost exclusively in southeast Saskatchewan, so you probably won't find them in Nisku. And Bonanza, Champion, Excalibur, and Quintera are all in Brooks. I assume the rest are in Nisku or Edmonton, but I don't know for sure.

Somebody said earlier to drive to Edmonton to apply at Jomax and Beaver. From what I hear, Jomax would be awesome to work for but I don't know if they hire new guys. I've been on one Beaver rig and it was less than sweet.

In the last five years, about the only time I've seen a Camaro or Saxon rig was when it was racked. I know I don't know everything that goes on, but I've never heard of anyone going to work on a rig for either company.

Don't bother stopping at Terroco.

Yeah, I could not find Jomax Drilling for the life of me when I was there a few weeks ago--obviously for a reason, since I am green.

Shlade
11-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Awesome thanks for that List.

Ill be sure to get a location in Nisku for most of those and go and apply on Wednesday.

Thanks for the help.

project240
11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Q-TIP

Intro you are looking around $27 per hour. With overtime assuming a rotation of 2 on 1 off he should expect to gross around $8500 per month if his rig is busy (which they almost all are now). Pay increases quickly if he proves to be a good worker.

This sounds pretty accurate. Quite a few years ago I worked for Phelps for just under 6 months and pretty sure I made about 51K gross.

I didn't exactly fit in though with the rest of the crew though. For the most part I just kept my head down and worked hard. Most of the guys working on the rigs aren't exactly model citizens.

Be prepared to take a lot of shit and work hard. I remember one day all I did for an entire 12 hour shift was carry bags of drilling mud that were like 70lbs/bag. Try carrying 4 of those at a time...

Shlade
11-12-2011, 07:19 PM
yeah id imagine itd be hell for sure.

My goal is to pay some things off and save up enough money to toss a down payment on a condo.

Or stack up money for hookers n blow for when 2012 happens.

chkolny541
11-14-2011, 11:38 AM
ive known lots of ppl that have gone up, none want to ever go back :rofl: :rofl:

ExtraSlow
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
The wages are pretty much the same everywhere. The CAODC sets the minimum, and nearly everyone pays that.
I believe $27 per hour for entry level (roughneck/leasehand) is correct. it's about $42/hr for the driller.
Some plces are paying a "retention" bonus to anyone who stays for the full winter (March 15th or so). That is about $2/hr for roughneck, and up to $8 per hour for the Driller.

Seing as how about 50% of the candidates don't last all winter without quitting, failing a drug test, or getting fired, The rig contractors don't have to pay out that much in the end.

Shlade
11-14-2011, 05:10 PM
^^

Itll be a test of how strong I am thats for sure. Strangely im excited for it though. Wednesday cant come fast enough. Ill be going around town and applying where I can. Hopefully get a call shortly after that. Realisticly id like to start in the new year (beginning of January) but if they call me to start ASAP beginning of december or before November is done im not going to say no,

themack89
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
^^

Itll be a test of how strong I am thats for sure. Strangely im excited for it though. Wednesday cant come fast enough. Ill be going around town and applying where I can. Hopefully get a call shortly after that. Realisticly id like to start in the new year (beginning of January) but if they call me to start ASAP beginning of december or before November is done im not going to say no,

I think you're going to have the same story as me.. haha

Shlade
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
haha share

Black Gts
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Take a bag with you and if your lucky you'll be leaving from the office

Cos
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
How did it go? I assume it either didnt go well or you are currently on site. Haha

M.alex
12-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I think he got raped?

msommers
12-02-2011, 03:34 AM
I haven't been on the rigs too long but I've noticed that there is definitely a pecking order and if anyone tries to fuck with it they either get sent home or shit on.

Hopefully you were able to land something and are going to stick with it. The weather has been pretty good for the most part so far but I'll have a lot of respect for those guys out there busting their asses in -40.

A couple of the MWDs have engineering degrees. I don't believe that is required, one mentioned something about a course he took, but something like that would be best. Keep you inside.

Shlade
12-04-2011, 12:54 PM
nothing yet.

They said they would call and see in a little while but guess im lacking some heavy labor experience on my resume as they put it.

Oh well see what happens in the new year.

M.alex
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM
nothing yet.

They said they would call and see in a little while but guess im lacking some heavy labor experience on my resume as they put it.

Oh well see what happens in the new year.

That doesn't sound very positive based on the above comments :(

Shlade
12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah im not too worried. Buddy of mine went with me though and he has A LOT of autobody experience and working on freighliners and such so they looked at him more than me in terms of that.

Like I said though im not too worried.

Black Gts
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
follow up phone calls every couple days, stay relevent its easy to get lost in the mix.

thager
12-12-2011, 06:47 AM
so did you get hired?????

johnboy27
12-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by thager
so did you get hired?????
Everybody and anybody will get hired right now. They are trying to bump our shop up from the 60 guys we had last year to 300 by next spring . We are currently sitting at 180, it's fucking crazy that I don't even know most of my coworkers.LOL They hired one guy a couple weeks ag that weighed in at about 450 pounds. He could barely move. Super nice guy just not cut out for any physical work at all. He fell down one night while rigging out and it took him 10 minutes to get up. He looked like a turtle stuck on his back only he was laying on his belly.

chathamf
12-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Any entry level guys land any decent gigs in a camp recently? Just wondering how it's all going lately. Heading out in the first few weeks in January (Nova Scotia at the moment).

I've rigged before, but looking for something with a little less work and less money. I found the rigs doable, but really didn't enjoy it. The hard work was surviveable, but the people hollaring and being dicks all day was more of a pain then the work.

Hoping to land basically anything in a camp that doesn't have my steaming and getting muddy all day, haha.

Also I'm taking courses here before I leave. Taking H2S, prob CSTS, First Aid, any other ones highly reccomended?

Thanks guys.

HomespunLobster
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Any entry level guys land any decent gigs in a camp recently? Just wondering how it's all going lately. Heading out in the first few weeks in January (Nova Scotia at the moment).

I've rigged before, but looking for something with a little less work and less money. I found the rigs doable, but really didn't enjoy it. The hard work was surviveable, but the people hollaring and being dicks all day was more of a pain then the work.

Hoping to land basically anything in a camp that doesn't have my steaming and getting muddy all day, haha.

Also I'm taking courses here before I leave. Taking H2S, prob CSTS, First Aid, any other ones highly reccomended?

Thanks guys.

I just got a seismic job. They filled up things for their jan 2nd ship out, but they will be hiring more in january. As well my friends seismic company is hiring.
Less work, less pay, less danger.
I love when I was a roughneck, but there were parts I did not like

chathamf
12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
What's your position doing seismic? I did that for a few days once, pay was like 11 bucks an hour, 28 days on, 2 off, go straight like that all winter. I was a mule, it was basically the worst thing I've done, lol.

ExtraSlow
12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Should be 24 on and 4 off. That's the Alberta labour law.

HomespunLobster
12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm working 24 on and 4 off. I'm bottom of the line. Whatever. Mindless work and not spending money till I start landscaping in the spring again.

msommers
12-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Weatherford guys said they're screaming for workers right now.

RatherBePerfin
12-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Weatherford guys said they're screaming for workers right now.

That will never change.

chathamf
12-30-2011, 10:55 AM
What's weatherford all about?

brucebanner
12-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Should be 24 on and 4 off. That's the Alberta labour law. That might be law but there are ways around it. I know I used to work more then that on a very regular basis for a long time. 78 days straight was a personal record(if you would call it that). Never again mind you, but it has been done and definitely still is.

What's your position doing seismic? I did that for a few days once, pay was like 11 bucks an hour, 28 days on, 2 off, go straight like that all winter. I was a mule, it was basically the worst thing I've done, lol.

Don't do seismic. I did it years ago now, had a blast with the guys but the money I would imagine is still shit. Work was easy enough though.

Look for pipeline companies as well. With any of the big players(Ledcor, Willbros etc), you would start over $20/hr, likely $25+ and the work is easy. You would be on a set rotation and if it isn't in a camp setting, you will get LOA which is non-taxable and can put even more money in your pocket.

chathamf
12-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks man, pipeline companies are deff where I am looking. Any other big name companies I can target?

lasimmon
12-31-2011, 01:48 PM
What's weatherford all about?

Nothing good on the wireline side.

themack89
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Really? I got the impression weatherford had a decent reputation. If that's the case how is halliburton for wireline?

lasimmon
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by themack89

Really? I got the impression weatherford had a decent reputation. If that's the case how is halliburton for wireline?

Better pay. But managed far worse according to my friends who left weatherford for Halliburton.

RatherBePerfin
12-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Dropped slickline, lost majority cased hole market share to IPS last year. I'd expect the trend to continue as they seem to be unable to retain experienced staff.

lasimmon
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by RatherBePerfin

Dropped slickline, lost majority cased hole market share to IPS last year. I'd expect the trend to continue as they seem to be unable to retain experienced staff.

Sounds about right. The whole mentality of its easier to get new people the. Retain and keep the experienced guys happy can't be a great business model.

Graham_A_M
12-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by themack89

I used to do wireline for Schlumberger back up in Whitecourt a few years back.

I'd recommend SLB for Wireline in a heartbeat. They really look after you if you have a good attitude & work ethic. the training was second to none as well.

Back when I was with them, I heard a lot of bad shit about Weatherford wireline & slickline. From lots of people in the industry.

SKR
12-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Halliburton wireline would be the same as Halliburton anything, I'd think. Too much time spent making sure everyone is following procedures and filling out all the daily paperwork, and not enough time making sure that the job is getting done the way the customer expects it. And then the field guys are left on the frontline to make the customer happy about paying for a job he didn't get.

Hi-Psi
01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Please god don't waste your time working seismic. A lot of people make that mistake when they first look into working up north.

For $12/hour and shitty/long days, I'd rather work in town.

Get a proper job up north, make proper money and you'll be a lot happier.

I don't even get out of bed for less than $450/day now haha

msommers
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
What are you doing?

HomespunLobster
01-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd like to agree, did seismic for a few days, going back to being a floorhand/roughneck
Fuck seismic.

If you like walking through a field all day with a bunch of stoners all the power to you.

Roughnecking is where it's at, why did I even try seismic?

chathamf
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
I'd like to agree, did seismic for a few days, going back to being a floorhand/roughneck
Fuck seismic.

If you like walking through a field all day with a bunch of stoners all the power to you.

Roughnecking is where it's at, why did I even try seismic?

I did seismic before I ever did anything in the oil field. Was pumped an oil company wanted me, and I figured that I had it made. Man was I wrong. I got shipped out of Calgary for like a 12 hour plus drive to Dawson Creek, and found out I'd now be working 14 hour days atleast, and was going to get like 2 days off a month. Couldn't even leave Dawson for your days off, had to stay there. And yea, the pay was like 12 buck an hour.

I think I did it for like four days, and I said no way am I working that hard for no money. I actually went on to roughneck after that, and I found that the seismic work was a million times harder. It was very mountainous terrain around Dawson, so up and down huge hills with 80lbs of gear on your back all day. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it. It also didn't help that like 80 percent of the workers were shipped straight out of Quebec and they just spoke french to each other all day.

Go ahead and roughneck if you think your up to it. If you get a good crew it's not even that bad, and once your in shape for it the work can "sometimes" be enjoyable. The odd day when I sat back for a moment and thought about what I was doing I was like this is fucking cool, cause it really is one of the most badass jobs you can get, the money is sick, and your doing some important shit. There were also days where the stress just gets to you, and ultimately sent me out of there. It's all about the people man, I had some guys I really enjoyed working for, but there were other guys who just didn't have any patience for a green hand and treat you like shit the whole time. There's only so much shit a person can take, then it comes to the point where the dough just isn't worth it!

There are lots of other oilfield jobs that you don't have to work nearly as hard as on the rigs, and might be worth looking into if you get the chance. I'm giving wireline a try this winter, I hear the work is easy but the schedule sucks. See how it goes I guess..

Florida_Son
01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Any insights on this position . . . www.skilledworkers.com/employer/job_view.php?id=38869 (http://www.skilledworkers.com/employer/job_view.php?id=38869)

lil*tymer
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
If you get a chance to take the special oilfield boiler course take it. I just got back from a month out in the field working as a boilerhand, and it was fucking awesome. I just sat in a shack all night and did pushups and worked on a french course. Cleared 14g in 26 days.

msommers
01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Cleared 14G? What education is required to do that?

FraserB
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Power engineering probably.

Kavy
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Power engineering probably.

4th class as well I would assume.

lil*tymer
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, i have my 4th class power engineering. To be a boilerhand, all that is required is a special oilfield boiler ticket, I believe if you have 6 months experience on a rig, you can take the 3 day course.

Racoonfighter
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Everybody and anybody will get hired right now. They are trying to bump our shop up from the 60 guys we had last year to 300 by next spring . We are currently sitting at 180, it's fucking crazy that I don't even know most of my coworkers.LOL They hired one guy a couple weeks ag that weighed in at about 450 pounds. He could barely move. Super nice guy just not cut out for any physical work at all. He fell down one night while rigging out and it took him 10 minutes to get up. He looked like a turtle stuck on his back only he was laying on his belly.

what company is that and are they still hiring?

johnboy27
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Racoonfighter

what company is that and are they still hiring?
Sanjel in Red deer. I believe they are oly hiring guys with a class one license now though. All of our shops are hiring .

Racoonfighter
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I guess its a little to late in the season to be applying know

HarryB
02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Halliburton is expanding in GP and red deer...go apply for frac operator position...good pay and not nearly as hard work as a roughneck, seismic. Schedule is pretty awesome too..15 on 6off.

They have career fairs soon in GP, red deer and I think Edmonton.

citydude22
02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Racoonfighter
I guess its a little to late in the season to be applying know

Anyone know when a good time to start again would be for roughnecking? could someone with no experience get into entry level when the season starts again?

SkittleFreak
02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
As I was told, a great lease hand will make a good rough neck, a great roughneck will make a good motor hand, etc...
But I started off as a roughneck. A company will start you there if they need roughnecks.
I'm on the only overstaffed rig in Alberta, all of the roughnecks have had to take turns doing lease hand for a week. Such a slack job for 27/hour

citydude22
02-25-2012, 10:42 AM
sounds cool... whens a good time to apply again?

Q-TIP
02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Cleared 14G? What education is required to do that?

I suspect "cleared" means gross income. If going by that context you and I would be "clearing" 26 grand for a 4-week rotation and that sure doesn't happen.

Unless they are paying boilerhands $900 per day which I know they aren't because the boilerhand working here is only making $450 and he is damn near top of the pile. I just checked with the tool push.

Florida_Son
04-21-2012, 02:24 PM
So what's new? Is spring breakup coming to an end? I noticed that Trinidad was looking for guys. Just wondering if things are starting to pick up again.

canadian_hustla
07-14-2012, 11:22 PM
bump

looking for legitimate advice for a cousin of mine. He resides in Quebec, however is looking to be a roughneck in Alberta. He is willing to move etc and can basically live anywhere. He does not have a car or driver's license (Quebecker's are fucking crazy when it comes to getting your license, it is $1500/per person + classes etc)

Can you guys advise on some first steps for him? (i.e. it would be difficult for him to drive out to Nisku)

Are these companies still looking for roughnecks? Is it likely that they would hire someone out of province who is willing to pack up and move to Alberta?

Thanks