PDA

View Full Version : Saab 9-5 Love?

TimG
11-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Looking to replace my golf that was totaled this week.

Came across a 2006 Saab 9-5 that looks nice. MOst of the internet reviews look decent for it.

I don't really know much about saab other than it's owned by GM.

Any love for the 9-5?

AE92_TreunoSC
11-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Parts are difficult to find, my friends 9-3 06' has had a number of stupid problems as well, the shifter roll pin keeps breaking, and the shifter itself has broken off.

There's a good reason Saab has been slowly dying since their prime. GM pushed them down the wrong path.

It's no longer supported by GM so this is the reasoning for the difficulty in finding parts.

A790
11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I had an '03 9-3 and never had a mechanical problem with it. Electrically, however...

hurrdurr
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by A790
I had an '03 9-3 and never had a mechanical problem with it. Electrically, however...

How long did you have it for?

My friend had a saab 9-3 i think it was 01-02 and had nothing but problems, she definitely took advantage of AMA because of that car

Tomaz
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by A790

Well, until you let me borrow it. Then the stereo didn't work AND you couldn't accelerate. lol

A friend of mine has a SAAB 9-3, and he only has little stupid problems with his car. The latest being a crank seal leak, that randomly fixes itself, then breaks again the following week.

You might as well get a Subaru :thumbsup:

A790
11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr

How long did you have it for?

My friend had a saab 9-3 i think it was 01-02 and had nothing but problems, she definitely took advantage of AMA because of that car
I had it for about a year.

In that year...

+ The left foglight stopped working. Then, six weeks later, the right foglight stopped working.

+ The left heated seat stopped working. Then, about three months later, the right heated seat stopped working.

+ The stereo/door chimes/signal sounds/etc. would randomly cut out. This was due to a faulty amp mounted underneath the drivers seat.

+ One coil pack went. This was routine maintenance. This also explains the "couldn't accelerate" issue Tomaz mentioned...

Originally posted by Tomaz

Well, until you let me borrow it. Then the stereo didn't work AND you couldn't accelerate. lol

A friend of mine has a SAAB 9-3, and he only has little stupid problems with his car. The latest being a crank seal leak, that randomly fixes itself, then breaks again the following week.

You might as well get a Subaru :thumbsup:

lol you're poison when it comes to cars. Hahahaha!

bituerbo
11-10-2011, 12:11 PM
What about a 9-2x? It is a WRX with more luxury features, and a sleeker front end. Lots of aftermarket support.

dino_martini
11-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Haven't had any issues with our 93 aero. It's been flawless. It's a great looking car, and the turbo 6 has effortless power. The car absolutely FLIES. Great seats too. The interior is a little plasticy, but what GM isn't.