PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Sandwich in Calgary?

takkyu
11-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Where's a good place to get a decent Cuban Sandwich in Calgary?

I heard about El Cubano but too late, as it was at the Farmer's Market that is now closed in Currie Barracks.

Tried google, but the only reference I see is to the above.

RY213
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
What is in a Cuban sandwich? I have a feeling it is probably pretty damn good

dino_martini
11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
It's a sandwich that starts with a layer of mustard, then roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, and thinly slices pickles. Then the sandwich is put into a sandwich press. Ever since I watched the Good Eats episode on sandwiches I've wanted one.

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
http://theboogle.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/cubansandwich1.jpg

They're awesome

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Quick google search:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1501654/restaurant/Central-16-Ave-N/Odyssey-Coffeehouse-Calgary

Let us know how it is?

n1zm0
11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
i saw the triple d's guy visit a cuban sandwich place, :drool:

+1^ let us know how it is

Guillermo
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
it's a regional specialty in the US, you're probably going to have a tough time finding a decent version here in Calgary.

e.g. think about fish tacos, which are impossible to find in true form in YYC despite their ultra-trend-status during the 2000s.

another example - we only have a few good Mexican restaurants in the city, and yet there are 32498723984792387432 times more mexicans in the world than cuban sandwich makers.

When I first moved to calgary I really missed the regional foods from the area I grew up in in the US, but I eventually realized that it just wasn't going to happen here. YYC specializes in Asian cuisine. :dunno:

EDIT: your best bet is probably to make it yourself, which is what I've come to do with the foods I miss from back home. mexican food too.

takkyu
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Quick google search:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1501654/restaurant/Central-16-Ave-N/Odyssey-Coffeehouse-Calgary

Let us know how it is?

Ah ok I know that place. I will give it a try.

masoncgy
11-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
YYC specializes in Asian cuisine. :dunno:

Really? Vietnamese maybe.

Haven't ever really had a decent Chinese meal in Calgary in all the years I lived there.

YYC specializes in franchise restaurants. ;)

Guillermo
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Really? Vietnamese maybe.

Haven't ever really had a decent Chinese meal in Calgary in all the years I lived there.

YYC specializes in franchise restaurants. ;)

i would say Asian in general. TONS of east indian, chinese, vietnames, etc. here. There's an Asian restaurant on every corner. Go to MacEwan hall at U of C, all you can get is Asian food (chinese/vietnamese/indian/japanese etc.). I knew of one east indian restaurant back home, in city 4 times the size of Calgary. knew of a couple of viet restaurants too. :rofl:

it's just taht canada has had way more immigration from these countries than the US. and the immigrants to US were mostly from Europe and Mexico, which is why americanized versions of those cuisines are so well developed there. shit, they've been making pizzas in NYC for over 100 years.

megavolt
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Local 522 downtown had a Cuban on their menu. I didn't try it but a friend liked it. Might be worth a try.

I used to love it when my wife would bring home a sandwich from El Cubano... she used to work at the Currie Market.

WBB6
11-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Purple Perk on 4th has a Cuban sandwich that is pretty good.

livinlarge89
11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Oddly enough, I was about to say that I saw purple perk has them the last time I was there. Never tried it but maybe I'll give it a shot next time I'm there.

JDMMAN
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Cuban sandwiches are awesome! :drool: there were some small joints in Miami and Tampa which were to die for! :thumbsup: