PDA

View Full Version : Going to the US to Ship Package to US

ianmcc
11-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Did a lot of searching but haven't been able to find an answer.
Anyone ever travel to the US to ship packages to the US?

Seller from Boston has a set of rims I want to buy. I have rims the seller wants. We agree to trade provided I pay shipping at both ends (I Paypal the money for his shipping expenses).
I want to have them shipped to Sweetgrass MT where I will pick up one set and then ship the second set.
This will save lots on shipping costs alone (currently the est. shipping for both ends is over $340) never mind the brokerage fees.
Will there be any issues with a Canadian taking packaged rims (open for inspection of course) across the border to ship to a US address?

Tik-Tok
11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Won't have a problem, but you may have to pay taxes when you cross the border.

You could tell the US border guys that you're coming down to get some tires mounted on the rims... there-by avoiding tax... but I sure wouldn't want to be caught lying to the US border, lol.

Then again, Montana has no sales tax... so who the fuck knows.

Sugarphreak
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM

rage2
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
How do you not have to pay taxes because it's a private sale? lol

You would be subject to an export tax of your old wheels going from CAN --> US, and an import tax of your new wheels when bringing 'em back up from US --> CAN.

ianmcc
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Would marking the packages as a gift at both ends make much difference? I fully expect to pay GST on the dollar value but as far as import export tax what is the rate? Does the country of manufacturer matter or just the country of origin?

rage2
11-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Gifts of over $20 or something gets taxed.

I have no idea what the US import taxes are like.

Sugarphreak
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM