PDA

View Full Version : Looking for career advice

S13
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey Beyond,

I am in some need for career advice.

I moved to Calgary from Edmonton about 6 months ago, and I had a job installing door access systems up north. I quit that job about 2 months ago and was back in Edmonton for a family emergency and since then I have been working part time and travelling back and forth between Edmonton and Calgary.

Now since I am not currently commited to work as of now and my gf will be getting sometime off in Dec and Jan, we are deciding to travel a little and when we come back I will have to get serious about looking for a full time job.

I have a background as a automotive service tech, I have got my journeyman as well as the red seal. I also have a diploma in Electronics Engineering Technology from NAIT.

I'm starting to regret spending two years at NAIT for that electronics diploma as there are not much jobs available that pays well. (not that I've seen anyway). I've worked at dealerships in Edmonton, but I really don't want to deal with all the politics of working at one.

I just frustrated as I don't know what I can do and make a good living out of it. Thinking about going back to automotives, but probably try to work for a independant shop. or try to find something electronics related, leaning towards lab type, design/troubleshooting work. Lately I have been thinking maybe getting into automotive electronics installs, like audio, remote starts, etc... Already have my basic MECP study guide coming in the mail, but from what I've read so far places like Bestbuy, futureshop don't really pay that well. and with limited experience it'll be hard to find work at a higher end shop.

sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to get some advice, and suggestions. Will be looking into working again starting Feb 2012 after coming back from Asia.

Thanks, looking forward to reading some of your replies. any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Dennis