PDA

View Full Version : Review: Koiji-Harvest Hills

bignerd
11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Didn't want to go to far from home and knew this new Sushi restuarant was nearby.

Koiji
246 40 Country Hills Landing, NE, Calgary, AB T3K 5P4

I know they recently had a groupon but I missed out on that, regardless, thought we would give it a try.

Ambiance 4.5/5
Very nice inside, modern with some splashes of color. Restaurant is a little small and the bathrooms are sort of back near the kitchen? Thought I had taken a wrong turn when I went to leave the washroom as I was facing the kitchen.

Service 3/5
Wasn't super busy when we there so I thought our appetizers took a little while to come considering there were only a few tables and some where already in the midst of eating. Waitress dropped the menu on the table and almost spilt a drink. Had to ask for a refill (which are not free), had to ask for water.

Food 4/5
Would of been 5/5 but the Gyoza we ordered was lukewarm at best. Tasted good, just wasn't hot. Agadashi tofu was fresh and burning hot, I prefer a more delicate breading but it was still tasty. Had some typical rolls, dynamite, spicy tuna (no mayonnaise sauce-has siranno chili's on top for the spice) and a philly roll which had pieces of lime on it-I picked those off as it was "too limey" with the whole piece on it. Sushi was fresh and tasted great. Presentation is very nice.

Value....3/5
Had a hard time with this as I thought they were pricey. Rolls were all about $9, and were not any larger than typical sizes. In fact the Dynamite roll was dissapointingly small I thought for nine bucks. As well, pop is not free refills...which is fine, except they charge $3.00 per drink. Should be free refills at that price. All of the appetizers were in the $8-10 dollar zone or more as well.

We had 3 pop, Gyoza, Agedashi tofu, Dynamite roll, Philly Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, 2 Ebi, 1 Unagi, 1 Salmon, 1 Tuna... bill was $67.00.

Would go back with a Groupon, but otherwise will make the drive to Sushi Boat or go to Globefish for the same price.

Disoblige
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Went there when they first opened without a coupon and thought the quality of the fish was quite fresh. Would not eat the rolls there since there was nothing special about them and pricey as mentioned.

Wonder how consistent they are on the freshness of the fish for their sushi pieces. Not a bad place for lunch, and the place is very nice inside indeed.

codetrap
12-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I found that they were very expensive for the quality of the food. But I guess they have to pay for the pretty decor somehow. I also wasn't really impressed with the service either.

I'm thinking more 2/5 stars.

403civic
12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I found that they were very expensive for the quality of the food. But I guess they have to pay for the pretty decor somehow. I also wasn't really impressed with the service either.

I'm thinking more 2/5 stars.
+1

My friend knew the owner too.... and we still had a bad experience.
We actually went to Sakana Grill for Happy Hour after that meal because it was so unsatisfying

I find Kinjo in Dalhousie to be a much better place.

The_1
12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Great food but way over priced

cloud7
01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Average sushi, small portions on the non-sushi items, good decor but otherwise typical Chinese run sushi restaurant, overpriced for the food and market in the area. Kinjo Dalhousie is definitely the go to price in the NW.

Xtrema
01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 403civic

+1

My friend knew the owner too.... and we still had a bad experience.
We actually went to Sakana Grill for Happy Hour after that meal because it was so unsatisfying

I find Kinjo in Dalhousie to be a much better place.

+1

Average food, premium price. Most people went will not repeat which is bad for fish freshness.

1barA4
02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Below average food, terrible service....we went there shortly after they opened, and the owner and his friends (and staff) were more interested in playing MJ on the upper bit (with the booths and the fake fireplace on the wall) than serving us.

Too bad, it's walking distance from my house and some friends know the owner but I won't spend my hard earned money there.