PDA

View Full Version : References

lasimmon
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows how many references an employer would look for when they ask to look at your references?

The reason I ask is currently I only have 2, with one being a personal reference and one being from my previous job. Wondering if this is going to be an issue.

Mitsu3000gt
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
I listed two, and then said "additional references available upon request". Make sure they are previous employers, and some that you were employed by for a reasonable amount of time. The best people to list as references are your direct supervisors.

I've never had anyone contact more than 1-2 references though. If you only have one actual reference, I'd list the one, then say "additional references available upon request". More than likely they won't ask you for another. The younger you are, the less they will care about having multiple, solid, references. If you're a 5-10 year guy or whatever, though, then it might be weird to only have a single actual reference if you've had more than one job.

lasimmon
11-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Yah I'm 1 year out of uni so I only have the one work experience reference. And the companys policy is to not give references so my supervisor wouldn't give me one so I had to get one from my mentor/senior engineer

Mitsu3000gt
11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Well I wouldn't worry too much then, you have a reason that is beyond your control if a company looking at you wants a second reference from a workplace.

lasimmon
11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the advice!

EG6boi
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
From my co-op program, they say it's best if you have two professional (employment/professor, etc) and one personal (friend or colleague)

Hope this helps!

Neil4Speed
11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I had no idea that Personal references were even worth anything anymore. Of course a friend/relative would say good things about you, that would mean nothing to me as an interviewer.

BrknFngrs
11-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I had no idea that Personal references were even worth anything anymore. Of course a friend/relative would say good things about you, that would mean nothing to me as an interviewer.

Agreed, I personally don't put much weight at all in references whether they're personal or professional.

Mitsu3000gt
11-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I agree with this, I don't think employers put any weight at all on what someone close to you has to say about you. It will NEVER be negative, and is less likely to be honest.

You want previous employers, preferably your direct supervisors or whoever you reported to, as references.

References in general are a complete waste of time in my opinion anyways. Who would ever list a reference who they didn't know 100% for sure would only say good things about them? I certainly wouldn't. Everyone I've worked with is always like "oh yeah, go ahead and list me I'll give you an awesome reference". I understand they are necessary, but I think the whole concept is redundant.

Mar
11-15-2011, 12:12 AM
When I first started I did some work for people for free just to get experience and a name of someone that could be a reference. I didn't get paid but it was well worth it. To add to that, I started some of my own websites just to get a feel for doing them and also list those as work experience.

So basically if you're fresh out of university you can still create a good list of experience and references without actually having a job.

lasimmon
11-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Mar
When I first started I did some work for people for free just to get experience and a name of someone that could be a reference. I didn't get paid but it was well worth it. To add to that, I started some of my own websites just to get a feel for doing them and also list those as work experience.

So basically if you're fresh out of university you can still create a good list of experience and references without actually having a job.

Thanks for the input. But none of that is relevant in my field.

I'll just use my 1 work reference if it's asked for.

Mar
11-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Thanks for the input. But none of that is relevant in my field.

I'll just use my 1 work reference if it's asked for.
It's relevant in every field, who doesn't want someone to come work for them for free?