PDA

View Full Version : ‘Noise Snare’ ready to muffle Calgary bikers

smartcar
11-13-2011, 10:13 AM
City may employ device by next summer after pilot project proves ‘technology works’

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Noise%20Snare%20ready%20muffle%20Calgary%20bikers/5702613/story.html?mid=529

:clap:

lellowrx7
11-13-2011, 10:20 AM
:repost:

M.alex
11-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Bring it bitches :burnout:

UcWrcpzioxY

JRSC00LUDE
11-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice cash grab.

Cos
11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Bring it bitches :burnout:

UcWrcpzioxY

Holy shit. What did that run?

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Nice cash grab.

:werd:

This is just going to be exactly like photo radar. Instead of people slamming on their brakes it will be popping their vehicle into neutral as they roll by. I know the tool was free but how much do you want to bet they wont buy a few more for $500,000. What a waste of time.

A computer cant replace proper bylaw/policing.

M.alex
11-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Holy shit. What did that run?

:werd:

It depends on which dyno it's been on. Ranges anywhere from 430RWhp (mustang dyno) to 490RWhp (dynojet)

heavyfuel
11-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Hahahah fuck 'em I put a muffler on my Dodge.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Please park this in my neighborhood. There are several jackasses that wake me up regularly with thier bikes and trucks.

M.alex
11-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I wonder what they're going to do for cars like, say, a Ferrari 599 gto? I hope the solution isn't to ticket people who own stock OEM cars as well :rofl:

J-hop
11-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Please park this in my neighborhood. There are several jackasses that wake me up regularly with thier bikes and trucks.

Agreed, I hope they target fart canners, straight piped crotch rockets and big exhaust diesels as well as the stereotypical harleys.

Really at the end of the day there is absolutely no reason to have an obnoxiously loud vehicle (lol at people claiming power gains). Have respect for you neighbors :thumbsup:

Shlade
11-13-2011, 11:29 AM
lol

heavyfuel
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
What about post-ticket enforcement/follow up? Do you think the owner of a Ferrari is going to care about a $200 fine? This will be one big revolving door and IMO not a sustainable enforcement practice in the long run. I say live and let live, seeing as most people who bitch about Harleys and diesels are awestruck and have little or no hate towards equally loud Ferraris and the likes of which. There has to be a better way to target obvious disrespectful nuisances and leave respectful enthusiasts alone.

tictactoe2004
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
What about post-ticket enforcement/follow up? Do you think the owner of a Ferrari is going to care about a $200 fine? This will be one big revolving door and IMO not a sustainable enforcement practice in the long run. I say live and let live, seeing as most people who bitch about Harleys and diesels are awestruck and have little or no hate towards equally loud Ferraris and the likes of which. There has to be a better way to target obvious disrespectful nuisances and leave respectful enthusiasts alone.

I'd feel the same way about a Ferrari or Lambo if the owner felt the need to constantly show the world how loud their car was. Couple bikers on my street feel the need punch it as soon as they get off their driveways... But on the flip side of that you can clearly tell that a couple others have respect for their neighbours and try to keep their RPMs down until they get out onto the main roads.

No problems with a semi loud exhausts, just have a little respect for others, especially when you're driving in residential neighbourhoods. I hope they nail the all the fuckers with little dick syndrome that feel the need to be as loud as possible anywhere they drive.

phil98z24
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Vehicle equipment compliance directions are the answer to that. I issue them on a regular basis for jacked up trucks with HID lights in halogen housings, straight exhausts, etc. They receive both a ticket for the infraction, and a direction that states they have 60 days to comply.

For really serious cases, we can seize their registration and plate (it's the property of the province, for those who have a problem with this!) and direct the vehicle from the roadway until it's been fixed and examined by a law enforcement official who can verify the repairs/modifications. Failure to comply with either orders can result in court ordered vehicle seizures, and attempts to do an end run on the system can result in mechanics/inspection facilities having their license pulled.

I suspect this will be part of the process so this doesn't turn into a revolving door.

Maxt
11-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Rutherford had a guy on this summer talking about this kind of enforcement, and the type Edmonton was doing. He said something like it's actually impossible in moving traffic to differentiate which car is making ALL the noise. He at some point was involved with the successful challenge of Edmontons noise bylaw. His main talking points were background noise, angle of measurement and the environment in which the noise is travelling.
I know when I had a problem with a customer complaining about the noise of some equipment and it came to down to testing it against its published noise data, the acoustic engineer said it had to be tested in an acoustic chamber to avoid reflective and background noise. It turned out the machinery matched its noise criteria and it was the environment it was installed in enhancing certain frequencies.
I do think if you had 2 harley's riding side by side, they would be hard pressed to tell which bike it is. Also is noise of the similar frequencies additive? if they are in phase and there are 2 sources then what? The 2 people in an arena yelling versus 200 people scenario.

masoncgy
11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/Rainb0wSeven/HarleyFags.jpg

Go4Long
11-13-2011, 01:14 PM
do people not realize how loud 96 db actually is? Mission Raceway has a hard limit of 88 db, and that's measured on the front straight where the bikes are WOT, and I've hardly seen anyone go over it out there, and there's some pretty obnoxious race bikes.

This law is to target the outrageously loud bikes/cars, and there's probably a lot fewer of them than people think, although a harley with straight pipes will almost certainly fail.

A ferrari 599 GTO isn't that loud btw. I've stood next to the front straight at race city while one blew by wide open and although I didn't have a decibel meter handy, there was definitely much louder cars on track at the time.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, high priced sports cars aren't that loud from the factory. There's a masaratti that lives one block away from me, and that thing is very quiet.

chkolny541
11-13-2011, 02:21 PM
this makes me excited, park it on 17 ave by melrose

M.alex
11-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
do people not realize how loud 96 db actually is? Mission Raceway has a hard limit of 88 db, and that's measured on the front straight where the bikes are WOT, and I've hardly seen anyone go over it out there, and there's some pretty obnoxious race bikes.

This law is to target the outrageously loud bikes/cars, and there's probably a lot fewer of them than people think, although a harley with straight pipes will almost certainly fail.

A ferrari 599 GTO isn't that loud btw. I've stood next to the front straight at race city while one blew by wide open and although I didn't have a decibel meter handy, there was definitely much louder cars on track at the time.

It's still louder than the limit would allow :rofl:

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Any accoustical engineers around who can verify my work on this? I did a little reading on wikipedia. Wiki - Sound Pressure Level - Distance law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure#Distance_law)
So it looks like SPL decreased with the inverse of the distance. So if something (like your ferarri) measures at 96 db at 1m from the exhaust tip, then it'll measure . . . . awww shit, that's actually a kind of complicated math function, but it'll be a shitton less than 96 db. (metric shitton used)
Anyone feel like going through that logarithmic function for me?

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
aww fuck it, I just did some rough math and it look like a sound that's 96 db at 1m distance would measure 76 db at 10m distance.

soooo, in order for your vehicle to be reading 96 db at 10m distance, it would have to read 116 db at 1m distance, which I gar-an-fucking-tee you is louder than any road legal factory spec vehicle, ever.

Merritt
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Lol

Mar
11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
A room full of people having a conversation is about 80 decibels so I doubt that. I hit 137.5 with a single 12 inch subwoofer in my car.

This is about time, I say. Anytime I'm trying to have a conversation with someone on 17 Avenue, even inside Melrose, I have to repeat myself every 2 minutes because some 40 year old man is so immature he has to be obnoxious as he can driving down the road. I don't get it, I don't go around just being loud for no reason.

I also used to get woken up at 8am every Saturday in my old apartment building when one of the women there would take her Harley out and set off my Compustar pager every freaking time. Stop revving your engine and just drive normally, quit bothering people.

:whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Cos
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
aww fuck it, I just did some rough math and it look like a sound that's 96 db at 1m distance would measure 76 db at 10m distance.

soooo, in order for your vehicle to be reading 96 db at 10m distance, it would have to read 116 db at 1m distance, which I gar-an-fucking-tee you is louder than any road legal factory spec vehicle, ever.

So do you think they will make it read 86 decibels then so that they can remove that variance?

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 04:42 PM
they'd have to have a precise distance measuring component to it in that case. I think they'll have it set to read 96db, and whatever attenuation you get from that distance, is a freebie.

Cos
11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
they'd have to have a precise distance measuring component to it in that case. I think they'll have it set to read 96db, and whatever attenuation you get from that distance, is a freebie.

Yeah you are probably right. if that is the case not sure how many people they are going to get.

I am actually going to start my car and see how loud it is using a db meter for android. Mine is pretty loud so I would be curious to know.

Cos
11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Man if my phone is right. 96dB is CRAZY loud. My car is loud, in the garage, 1m from the back registered 90dB when I started it up cold. That is crazy.

I just checked it out, the bylaw is 96db. For reference it's about half as loud as a Jackhammer but twice as loud as a road at 10 metres. (since noise is on an logarithmic scale).

Also just googled my Borla exhaust design db:

Q. What is the decibel limit for street applications? Are laws Local or Federal?

95db in most states using the SAE standard J1169. Some municipalities have restricted this even more dramatically. We build to this number for our aftermarket. Our Private label and OE customers may have a different number.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/thecosworth/snap20111113_155232.png

ZenOps
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Its about time.

They should also impose a fine for anyone who brings a ringing cellphone into a movie theatre.

88CRX
11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
What a steaming load of shit. Does the city/bylaw not have better ways to spend their time and money?

Has anyone been successful fighting this in other jurisdictions? If anyone else has been lame enough to implement this.

Shlade
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah you are probably right. if that is the case not sure how many people they are going to get.

I am actually going to start my car and see how loud it is using a db meter for android. Mine is pretty loud so I would be curious to know.

i think you should toss on a offroad xpipe :)

ExtraSlow
11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
the x pipe itself won't make it any louder, unless you are also removing the muflers, cats or other restrictions.

Go4Long
11-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mar

A room full of people having a conversation is about 80 decibels so I doubt that. I hit 137.5 with a single 12 inch subwoofer in my car.

http://www.westwoodracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2168

;)

Merritt
11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
$200 fine isn't going to cut it; make it $1k-$5k. Or $10k.

M.alex
11-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Man if my phone is right. 96dB is CRAZY loud. My car is loud, in the garage, 1m from the back registered 90dB when I started it up cold. That is crazy.

That isn't a loud cobra :)

2lQX3cOAbes

Shlade
11-13-2011, 06:40 PM
the x pipe itself won't make it any louder, unless you are also removing the muflers, cats or other restrictions.

offroad xpipe removes the cats

Trust me.. it will be a LOT louder. Removing the Borla mufflers would make it unbearably loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLTFGOoexA

Grogador
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
this makes me excited, park it on 17 ave by melrose

:thumbsup:

Harleys and idiots who redline all over the city will get snagged by this. The alternative is stunting tickets, imo.

chkolny541
11-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
What a steaming load of shit. Does the city/bylaw not have better ways to spend their time and money?

Has anyone been successful fighting this in other jurisdictions? If anyone else has been lame enough to implement this.

why is this BS, extreme noise is a complaint that keeps coming up over and over, so now they are dealing with it appropriately. Good on em!

I also dont understand why people keep giving examples of these super high end performance cars. We dont have fleets of these rolling down every neighbourhood, we instead have fleets of shitbox hondas with ractive tincan mufflers, hitting red line at every shift.

chkolny541
11-13-2011, 07:14 PM

this also made me lol, looks like the math was just sitting teasing you for 11 minutes before you just had to know haha

962 kid
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM

There are plenty of high end OE cars that exceed 96db out of the factory. GT3RS guys have tons of issues with meeting the 96db cap at Laguna Seca, so much so that companies have started selling things like this:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/images/products/sharkwerks_track_tips.jpg

Those are Sharkwerks Laguna pipes, they deflect noise away from the sound meters on-track as a bone stock GT3RS will get booted.

Hell, my pos IDLES at 96dB@10ft with a downturned tip and there are lots of cars louder than mine at RC. I think 96db will make almost any car with an aftermarket exhaust fair game for tickets, depending on how far away they are measuring.

M.alex
11-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

why is this BS, extreme noise is a complaint that keeps coming up over and over, so now they are dealing with it appropriately. Good on em!

I also dont understand why people keep giving examples of these super high end performance cars. We dont have fleets of these rolling down every neighbourhood, we instead have fleets of shitbox hondas with ractive tincan mufflers, hitting red line at every shift.

True, but those of us who have these cars don't want to get tickets because a bunch of shitboxes ruined it for everybody :thumbsdow

ExtraSlow
11-14-2011, 06:54 AM
M.alex, they haven't ruined anything for you if you drive reasonably in areas where noise is a common resident concern.

So, don't gun it in residential areas, or on 17th ave, and you'll have a very low chance of getting a ticket, no matter what you drive.

I don't see a problem.:dunno:

Maxt
11-14-2011, 07:11 AM
M.alex, they haven't ruined anything for you if you drive reasonably in areas where noise is a common resident concern.

So, don't gun it in residential areas, or on 17th ave, and you'll have a very low chance of getting a ticket, no matter what you drive.

I don't see a problem.:dunno:
You really think once their magic money box starts turning revenue its going to only be parked outside of shady acres retirement home?? Bullshit, they'll deploy them like photo radar now , where ever the most coin to be made is...

Go4Long
11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
if you're cruising down deerfoot at 7000 rpm you deserve a ticket for being a moron, let alone the ticket for the noise you're making...

I ride a bike with an exhaust loud enough to be heard, and I'm still not concerned.

Toma
11-14-2011, 08:28 AM
if they park this pos in any non residential area.... i hopeit gets accidentally hit by a cement truck.

88CRX
11-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Toma
if they park this pos in any non residential area.... i hopeit gets accidentally hit by a cement truck.

Everyone who thinks they’ll be setting this machine up on your dead end residential cul-de-sac to catch the one kid with a loud exhaust you’re wrong.

962 kid
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Everyone who thinks they’ll be setting this machine up on your dead end residential cul-de-sac to catch the one kid with a loud exhaust you’re wrong.

:werd: If they're only buying one machine with no plans to purchase more I would put money on it ending up in maximum cash cow areas. I know I would if I had just paid over a hundred grand for a microphone.

schocker
11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
It will be on 17th in front of Melrose is my guess. It will make millionsssss :rofl:

luxor
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Don't worry about that, I'm sure insurance will cover this machine. I have yet to hear about any photo radar units being destroyed. Even red light cameras, which aren't guarded, have been unharmed. Have fun hoping.

Originally posted by 962 kid

:werd: If they're only buying one machine with no plans to purchase more I would put money on it ending up in maximum cash cow areas. I know I would if I had just paid over a hundred grand for a microphone.

UHH this first machine wasn't purchased, it was given to Calgary bylaw services for FREE for being the first one to pilot this machine. So cut this cash cow bullshit.

LollerBrader
11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

No problems with a semi loud exhausts, just have a little respect for others, especially when you're driving in residential neighbourhoods. I hope they nail the all the fuckers with little dick syndrome that feel the need to be as loud as possible anywhere they drive.

Werd.

Hallowed_point
11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
For the record, I'm not anti truck , I've heard some Cummins's that sound wicked yet not overly obnoxious.

However, I have yet to hear a gasser straight piped automatic truck that sounds good. There is one douche next door that starts up his base model straight piped hemi and insists on flooring it at all hours of the night. :guns: :banghead

kenny
11-14-2011, 02:36 PM
We all know where this thing will be set-up. Memorial Drive WB lanes between 3 St and 10 St... perhaps during the Bow River Flow.

Maxt
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by luxor

Don't worry about that, I'm sure insurance will cover this machine. I have yet to hear about any photo radar units being destroyed. Even red light cameras, which aren't guarded, have been unharmed. Have fun hoping.

UHH this first machine wasn't purchased, it was given to Calgary bylaw services for FREE for being the first one to pilot this machine. So cut this cash cow bullshit.
You have to ask yourself though why a company would go out of their way to give one away for free.. They smell sales and money, along with the city....
Its interesting that in Canada people don't react to the cameras like they do in Europe, where they burn them beyond recognition with a tire and gasoline.. Canada must be Ojibwe for bend over and take it...

ExtraSlow
11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I still haven't figured out why it's bad that the city might make money from this.

To me, that's excellent.

J-hop
11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I still haven't figured out why it's bad that the city might make money from this.

To me, that's excellent.

there is no reason lol, unless you're nearing the single digit 1/4 miles or have a purpose built track car that can actually benefit from an unrestricted exhaust you have absolutely no reason running a loud exhaust (and why would you be DDing your track car anyways?).

people just want to complain. The city puts up speed limit signs, they even put up signs at many intersections with cameras yet still people cry like the city is somehow stealing their money when they get caught by one of these cameras??

Oh right, I forgot, its your god given right to live outside the law whenever you choose and not respect anyone around you because "they should just live with it", my bad :facepalm:

kenny
11-14-2011, 09:10 PM
From this article: http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/1023561--few-cars-snared-by-noise-technology

During the test period, which took place over different days under varying conditions, only 15 out of a total of 11,347 vehicles were over 96 decibels — the maximum level set by council.

The article seems to imply that its not that big of a deal, but that works out to roughly 150 tickets / day if they place it on Deerfoot near Memorial or 100 tickets / day if they place it on Glenmore Tr somewhere near the resevoir.

If the company that makes the machine gets a cut out of the ticket revenue, they'll make their money back in no time.

smartcar
11-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by kenny
From this article: http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/1023561--few-cars-snared-by-noise-technology

The article seems to imply that its not that big of a deal, but that works out to roughly 150 tickets / day if they place it on Deerfoot near Memorial or 100 tickets / day if they place it on Glenmore Tr somewhere near the resevoir.

If the company that makes the machine gets a cut out of the ticket revenue, they'll make their money back in no time.

The company gave it for free, so no $$ back, but I'm sure they expect to get orders, if not from Calgary then other jurisdictions that have a problem and will order them because it's used successfully in Calgary. Although I'm sure Calgary will order some more if it does turn out to be a cash cow.

I think the point is, hopefully if people think they might get a ticket they won't blast out of intersections, they're not speeding but they are sure making a lot of noise for no reason other than they can, maybe to get attention by going 0-50kph in 2 seconds, who knows, but it's annoying. I think the plan is to set up where there are noise complaints.

btimbit
11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I have a loud car, and I have no problem with this. Christ, how often do I take it above 3000rpm? For about 10 seconds a day merging onto MacLeod, and who's going to complain about noise next to a major roadway?

If you get caught by this, chances are you deserve it.

dimi
11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
So what if I park behind the radar car and rev my engine as people pass by? :rofl:

I generally agree with this proposition though, especially if they set it up on 17th.

Kona9
11-23-2011, 04:57 PM
LOL @ all the butt hurt Melrose whiners. Melrose is a Business in a high traffic BUSINESS area with residential surroundings, that markets themselves to the Biker Culture. If loud traffic noise bothers you, then move your crying ass to a gated community where you can whine about all your lifes displeasures with your blue hair neighbours.

There will ALWAYS be Douche bags in any type of vehicle. Cars, trucks, bikes etc. No one will NEVER stop it. I can guarantee a silly little fine isn't going to make Harley Henry go home in tears and unbolt his pipes to put the stock ones back on. No different than photo radar not slowing anyone down.

I have a bike with straight pipes, but I prefer the low rumble of cruising speed as opposed to letting everyone in ear shot hear how loud my bike can be. Not everyone with a louder than normal vehicle disprespects those around them. Painting all enthusiasts with the same brush isn't right. It is possible to enjoy loud and fast vehicles without disrespecting others.

Ukyo8
11-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Don't mind this at all, I'm so sick of obnoxious bikes and fart cans that make that stupid buzzing sound :banghead:

962 kid
11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Actually, the number of complaints the city received last year about vehicles multiplied by the proposed fine of $275 is almost exactly equal to the cost of the machine lol.

Originally posted by btimbit
I have a loud car, and I have no problem with this. Christ, how often do I take it above 3000rpm? For about 10 seconds a day merging onto MacLeod, and who's going to complain about noise next to a major roadway?

If you get caught by this, chances are you deserve it.

I agree, the law punishes driving style more than the exhaust modification itself. Just wondering though, what is the actual law with regards to noise levels? Where is it laid out how loud you can/cannot be in general? I know most construction machinery is a lot louder than 96dB.

Cos
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Actually, the number of complaints the city received last year about vehicles multiplied by the proposed fine of $275 is almost exactly equal to the cost of the machine lol.

I agree, the law punishes driving style more than the exhaust modification itself. Just wondering though, what is the actual law with regards to noise levels? Where is it laid out how loud you can/cannot be in general? I know most construction machinery is a lot louder than 96dB.

I just googled CofC Noise Bylaw and it says 96db. Doesnt say from what distance.

Shlade
11-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
Don't mind this at all, I'm so sick of obnoxious bikes and fart cans that make that stupid buzzing sound :banghead:

im gonna come to your house and rev the crap out of my bike just to piss you off haha :angel:

Ukyo8
11-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

im gonna come to your house and rev the crap out of my bike just to piss you off haha :angel:

My neighbor is a cop go ahead :D

FraserB
07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Back for round two, but even more subjective this time as it will be based on officer discretion.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-police-test-excessive-noise-tracking-tool-on-city-streets-1.1941448#commentsForm-542805

killramos
07-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Back for round two, but even more subjective this time as it will be based on officer discretion.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-police-test-excessive-noise-tracking-tool-on-city-streets-1.1941448#commentsForm-542805

Fuck sakes, our justice system really is a joke...

Seth1968
07-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Bottom line:

I create needless noise because my daddy didn't show attention, and I want others to notice me.

l-AV2Lu_1wM

M.alex
07-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Bottom line:

I create needless noise because my daddy didn't show attention, and I want others to notice me.

l-AV2Lu_1wM

Or I drive awesome cars with BIG ass heads and cam and not pussy wagons like everybody today has.

Sugarphreak
07-31-2014, 08:17 PM

dirtysamwich
08-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Officer discretion... nice

revelations
08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
They wont be able to issue tickets that stick - warning for noise only - but other equipment violation tickets could be issued.

rage2
08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
On the radio, they were interviewing a cop on 17th and a bike with obviously modified exhaust roared by pretty loud and they had to pause the interview. The cop says that bike was pretty loud but they'll let those pass. They're going after the guys free revving in neutral from the sounds of it.

Let's hope that's the standard discretion that they'll be following.

rage2
09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Warnings are over, let the tickets begin!

What's interesting is that they're targeting the airport tunnel for noise violations. LOL WUT?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/09/14/calgary-police-finish-noise-enforcement-pilot-prepare-to-target-noise-makers

The grace period is over.

Calgary police handed out 45 warnings throughout August to drivers and motorcyclists that caught their attention while they were testing out a noise-measuring device.

Now they are prepared to use the device to help issue real tickets for stunting or equipment violations as they see fit.

Traffic cops tested out the device, which tells them when a vehicle exceeds what’s considered a normal noise level in a particular area, in 10 different spots, including Mission, 17 Ave. S.W., Kensington, Dalhousie, McKenzie Towne and the airport tunnel.

“I was kind of hoping we wouldn’t have to do any,” said Insp. Ken Thrower, but added he wasn’t surprised by the number of warnings issued.

The point of the device is not to identify noisy vehicles, said Thrower, it’s to act as backup proof when police believe a person is using a vehicle to make an obnoxious scene.

“It’s really about behaviour and the behaviour is what’s going to get your bike, your car, your truck, any vehicle looked at for equipment,” he said, adding the main purpose is education.

Using the device is “labour intensive,” said Thrower, adding the process requires three officers to stand at different points along a street, one of them holding the device.

All three officers have to generate a consensus that a particular vehicle is louder than it should be.

“The icing on the cake would be the noise device,” said Thrower, adding it simply verifies whether or not what the officers have observed is true.

The whole thing is very subjective, said Thrower, as the normal noise level varies from place to place based on a number of factors including the activity going on, the weather, the volume of traffic and the density of buildings and structures.

Establishing normal noise thresholds in different parts of town was part of the police experiment last month.

Now, cops have taken their findings to the Crown to go over how the device can best aid them in laying charges related to stunting or equipment violations in the future.

The device was ready for use in issuing tickets as of Sept. 1, said Thrower.

“If you’re stunting right now, tomorrow, we’re going to write you a ticket,” he said.

A ticket under the Traffic Safety Act will cost offenders $115.

During their trial, Thrower said police received great feedback.

“We got huge public support,” he said, adding even some of those people given warnings admitted the merits of the system.

“Even the people that got stopped were like ... ‘Yep, you’re right.’”

schocker
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Using the device is “labour intensive,” said Thrower, adding the process requires three officers to stand at different points along a street, one of them holding the device.

Costs more in man power than the fine :rofl:

faiz999
09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
look, i hate those damn loud ass mufflers like anyone else but i'm not sure trying to control it is the best course of action.

it seems to be a very minor issue that only affects calgary like 2-4 months of the year, so throwing as much money and manpower as we are seems like an exercise in futility.

and still, this summer i heard obnoxious mufflers throughout the city...so it's not like the new legislation actually curbed anything. seems like a new BS reason for cops to pull you over.

FraserB
09-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I'm quite proud to say that I've dragged an $87 ticket through 5 courtrooms over the course of almost 13 months. I've wasted far more money that that ticket will ever generate for them. Eventually I'll have it withdrawn on a due process claim.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-15-2014, 04:34 PM

I'm quite proud to say that I've dragged an $87 ticket through 5 courtrooms over the course of almost 13 months. I've wasted far more money that that ticket will ever generate for them. Eventually I'll have it withdrawn on a due process claim.

Haha, awesome. :rofl:

Sugarphreak
09-15-2014, 04:35 PM

flipstah
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Ok, so next time I see 3 police officers standing along a street... I don't drive like an idiot, lol

:werd: :rofl:

As long as you don't rev hard at standstill, we're okay! :bigpimp:

snowcat
09-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Clutch in baby!

flipstah
09-15-2014, 04:53 PM
As for the airport tunnel, that's why you do a checker lap first before. :rofl:

I don't get it either; doesn't make the sound any better. I get a better echo down 1st St.

ExtraSlow
09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by schocker

People bitch and moan about revenue generation, and you're slagging them for not generating revenue efficiently. I dunno, seems like they can't win.

I'm still fully supportive of the concept behind this law, and from the sounds of that article, it's being implemented in a way that is more nuanced than we originally thought.

Let the tickets flow. None of my vehicles will get one.

CapnCrunch
09-16-2014, 07:27 AM

It must be nice having nothing better to do with your time.

FraserB
09-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

It must be nice having nothing better to do with your time.

I paid someone to fight it for me.

schocker
09-16-2014, 08:29 AM
People bitch and moan about revenue generation, and you're slagging them for not generating revenue efficiently. I dunno, seems like they can't win.

I'm still fully supportive of the concept behind this law, and from the sounds of that article, it's being implemented in a way that is more nuanced than we originally thought.

Let the tickets flow. None of my vehicles will get one.
People don't bitch and moan, CPS bitches and moans. That is what happens when you budget for $40mm of your annual budget to come from fines. I think they will be OK from the buttload of after dark playground zone tickets and speed traps where one officer can give out the tickets instead of 3.

Modelexis
09-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Hahaha, yes!

I've also been known to waste several times the court time than that of the ticket face value.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 09:03 AM
I've fought every ticket (not that I rack them up) issued by CPS. I encourage friends and family to do the same. Who cares if it's under $100. I like to think that it will encourage CPS to think before they whip out the notepad and start handing them out like candy. Of course, it probably doesn't do jack squat lol. :nut:

M.alex
09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
Clutch in baby!

What about those of us who have big ass cubes and cam and idle at 110dbs? :dunno:

It's not my fault I idle louder than Rage's BS sounds at WOT :rofl: