PDA

View Full Version : Eco-Box... what is your take?

r3ccOs
11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
There are many... they've been around forever, and at one point the Civic was certainly part of the group

however, I just had to look twice at an article that said that the ford Focus can get up to 4.8 l/100 km on the highway w/ the new 2.0L GDI...

WTH? 4.8L/KM is almost VW TDI low, and gas is cheaper than diesel these days...

That's insane milage, but I don't know if the actual combined (I think which is like 5.9) is actually obtainable in our climate with our type of deerfoot traffic and whether its worth entertaining.

The wife & I want a 2nd car... we have a 4x4, an Altima SE-R and for me, who drives around 90k round trip per day to work, It would be prudent to have somthing small and economical.. (being that I park the SE-R for the winter)

The Focus is definately in the radar, but so are:
new Hyundai Accent
maybe used Yaris
Fiesta
Mazda 2

I think of the bunch, the fiesta and the Accent are the most effecient, the accent being a bit more "fun" from what I understand as well... but I'm not 100% trusting in Korean car's yet, but even the yaris or fit are relatively expensive in the used range.

Also, real world praticality and mileage (as per their EPA) is important, where I've heard alot of false claims

What's your take?

It is impressive that with direct injection, appropiately geared transmissions (DSG or manual) that these car's with all the safety options can get the type of mileage that they advertise...
Its like the GEO metro only its not 63hp and made of tin

BananaFob
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, you should probably compare apples to apples. Civic and Focus are not in the same class of car as the Fiesta, Yaris, Mazda 2 etc.

schocker
11-14-2011, 10:28 AM
You can add some more to the list as well.
Basically
Sub-Compact
Chevrolet Sonic, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa.

I would read around and check reviews. The new Sonic does sound very impressive from what I have read in reviews comparing these sub compacts. Do note though that adding really any options brings the pricing of these cars past the levels of their Compact sized siblings. ie. Sonic has an available 6-spd w/ TurboCharger engine. There are also more fuel efficient versions of some of these vehicles. I would say though that of these, I would check out the Fiesta and Sonic.

94boosted
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I would also put the Chevy Cruze on your list with the Turbo motor it will be more "fun" to drive at our altitude than it's N/A competition

r3ccOs
11-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by schocker
You can add some more to the list as well.
Basically
Sub-Compact
Chevrolet Sonic, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa.

I would read around and check reviews. The new Sonic does sound very impressive from what I have read in reviews comparing these sub compacts. Do note though that adding really any options brings the pricing of these cars past the levels of their Compact sized siblings. ie. Sonic has an available 6-spd w/ TurboCharger engine. There are also more fuel efficient versions of some of these vehicles. I would say though that of these, I would check out the Fiesta and Sonic.

agreed, and when going through the bulid options, the BASE is honestly the most attractive.

I'm not going to be paying into the mid-20's for one of these cars... no way
but when A/C is a $2500 option, I'd better look at a different vehicle (i.e Ford Focus)

You're right the Civic and Focus aren't in the same category, as they're compacts and not sub-compacts but there are sometimes deals and insentives, and from a fuel consumption perspective, they're often close.

W/ the Chevy... the Sonic looks cool w/ the 1.4 turbo, I'm sure the torque is great, but the durability? That's something I'd question unless this was some generic Opel engine, that I don't think it is.

A car I was always fond of, but isn't anywhere near the fuel effenciecy are those Suzuki SX4's, but "I" feel they would gain a bigger market if they just made them compacts and not sub-compacts

sputnik
11-14-2011, 10:38 AM
What about a base model Fiat 500?

Sugarphreak
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM

r3ccOs
11-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
My old 07' Honda Fit easily got 40-44mpg (~5.4L/100km) on the highway. Was a zippy little car (even for high speed passing) with excellent handeling to boot. If I was to buy another econo-box it would be this one.

I don't mind the looks and the sizing looks adequate...

and its been out a while, so there are a few on the used market as well...

I don't want a Smart car, but the Toyota IQ and Fiat 500, as well as the mini are in the range...

of the bunch I've heard the IQ is good, but that the Fiat 500 is not nearly as effecient as it should be, that the Mini is excellent, but isn't a budget car and the Smart that I've drove are just crap... plus mercedes service rates.

Tomaz
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
A bit of advice that I have been told: Get the best loaded/fully loaded model of a vehicle you are willing to afford. You will hate yourself later otherwise.

Ford Focus and Fiesta are pretty awesome vehicles to be looking at. They seem a bit more "complete" when compared... if that makes any sense to you. Better looks, more options, the drive feels firm and responsive. The car just doesn't feel like driving a tin can.

If you are financing, I saw a Mazda 3 hatchback for $160/ biweekly at Kramer last week. Though it still looks like a whale eating krill. There is 0% financing for 60 months being advertized still.

The new Chevy Sonic is a cool looking machine. And the cruze is a nice car to drive, but only in the higher trim levels. Both seem very promising as Chev is finally pulling their head out of their asses.

Mitsu Lancer is in your bracket as well. Though it may feel lacking in creature comforts and interior feel when compared to the others. still worth a look-see.

Hyundai has been looking great these days. You can probably get a fully loaded Accent for <$20k!

I would talk about the other cars, but it would be biased as i really disliked driving the Yaris, Fit, Mazda 2, suzuki, kia, etc.

Best bet would be to find all that you can afford, find out what you require from your car, and drive all of them until you fall in love. :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
What about a base model Fiat 500?

its a horrible car, you should take one for a drive.

roll_over
11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
OHHHHHHH!!!! eco box is a moving box rental company here in calgary lol my bad, i get about 5l/100k in my fit that is if you dont push it.

Gibson
11-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
A bit of advice that I have been told: Get the best loaded/fully loaded model of a vehicle you are willing to afford. You will hate yourself later otherwise.

This is good advice, I went through the same thing.

It was either a base model Honda Fit with 120,000 kms with not even A/C and had hubcaps (seriously??) or a fully loaded Ford Focus with half the kilometers, heated seats, heated mirrors, sunroof, TCS, ABS, steering wheel controls etc. They were the same price.

Heard the Fits are brutally slow too but I've never driven one.

speedog
11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Have been driving my Sonic for just over a month now, 1.8l normally aspirated with the 6 speed automatic. In city driving yields about 8.6-8.1l/100km (33-35MPG) and highway is under 6.3-6.6l/100km (43-46MPG) - probably could do a bit better on the highway and city if I watched how I drive a bit more (probably quite a bit better) and if this Sonic is like my HHR, the fuel mileage will improve with time.

Overall, I can say I quite like the Sonic as an ecobox commuter - very quiet, handles very nice (better than I expected) and has a very good ride. The turbo version won't be available until sometime in 2013 per sales people I've spoken with. I also had test drove the turbo equipped Cruze models with both the standard and automatic transmissions - didn't particularly like the turbo feel. My Sonic is the 2LT with optional sunroof and 17 inch wheels and main competitors would be the Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Mazda 2, Honda Fit and possibly the Mini and the Fiat 500.

On the downside, no heated seats unless you get the leatherette seats, limited storage space (compared to my HHR), no auto-dimming mirror, only driver seat has inboard armrest, stereo is weak. On the plus-side, heated outside mirrors, remote start, fabulous bluetooth capabilities, very comfortable seats, tilt and telescopic steering and tons of headroom even with the sunroof. Also has the love it or hate it instrument display - I quite like it and a well though out engine bay area where everything is easy to access including the ability to easily change burnt out head/signal lights (compared to my HHR).

Best advice is to test drive any of the sub-compacts and then make your decision - this segment is rapidly evolving with some great cars showing up and be mindful that I've been a Chevy guy for 30 years now and didn't give competitors a real look although I did poke around the Fiesta a bit (looks turned me off).

sputnik
11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

its a horrible car, you should take one for a drive.

Compared to what?

Is it that much worse than a Yaris or a Mazda2?

speedog
11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Civic, Focus and Cruze are all compacts - different category. Still great mileage with all of these and quite a bit better cars than what they replaced (Ford - old Focus vs new, Cruze vs Cobalt).

As far as the Chev Ecotec engine, the one in my HHR (2.4l normally aspirated) had zero issues in the 105,000 I had it and I expect no different from the 1.8l in my Sonic.

max_boost
11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
No love for 2012 Subaru Impreza?!

5.5l/100kms combined.

Definitely worth checking out.

http://subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=16864&Range=Impreza&ModelYear=2012&WebSiteID=282

speedog
11-14-2011, 01:54 PM
2012 Subaru Impreza is a competitor in the compact class (Civic, Mazda 3, Cruze, Focus), not ecobox sub-compact class - OP would appear to be looking at sub-compact class vehicles. Subaru would appear not to have a sub-compact sized vehicle in their current Canadian line-up.

speedog
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Sonic goes good on snowy streets as well - incredible amount of hot air from vents, heated mirrors are great as well.

http://www3.telus.net/public/slugs/20111114_sonic.jpg

nismodrifter
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Jetta TDI brah

xnvy
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
In regards to the Honda Fit, two of my teachers used to have them and they both sold them. They both complained that they were slow, although they were 08's though so they have probably improved since. The Honda Insight apparently gets ~5L/100km, might be worth a look.

Aleks
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
IMO if gas savings is the motivation cars like Elantra Civic Focus will do just as well as Fit, Mazda 2, Sonic in that regard.

Civic is rated 5.0 on the highway, Elantra 4.9. The subcompacts won't do any better. If you're driving deerfoot between 7-9 am or 4-6pm expect around 8L/100kms on any of these cars.

Civic can be had for under 250/month with nothing down (lease) which other won't be able to match.

Redlyne_mr2
11-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Compared to what?

Is it that much worse than a Yaris or a Mazda2?
Believe it or not it is, the yaris and mazda at least feel like they could carry you and your friends to the mountains in comfort and safety... the 500 feels scary just merging on to glenmore. I would feel more confident in a 91 civic hatch, no lies.

sputnik
11-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Believe it or not it is, the yaris and mazda at least feel like they could carry you and your friends to the mountains in comfort and safety... the 500 feels scary just merging on to glenmore. I would feel more confident in a 91 civic hatch, no lies.

Interesting. I have never driven one, but am seeing more and more of them on the roads.

Redlyne_mr2
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
yup... ironically this was on beyonds main page this morning.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/11/fiat-500s-slow-sales-leads-to-chrysler-worker-layoffs.html

Hallowed_point
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Those chev sonics actually look very decent , I would def consider one if I was looking in that category

HiTempguy1
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Interesting. I have never driven one, but am seeing more and more of them on the roads.

The 500 is smaller than either of the cars compared.

In my mind, it's like comparing a 1990 Sprint to a 1990 Civic. They are in different classes. The Scion IQ (I believe it is called) is more inline with the 500.

Boat
11-15-2011, 01:07 PM
What do you guys think about tire size especially in the nasty winters we get? Won't the small tires increase the risk of getting stuck?

Silverfire9
11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I think of the bunch, the fiesta and the Accent are the most effecient, the accent being a bit more &quot;fun&quot; from what I understand as well...

Don't kid yourself. It's NOT fun. there's no pep to it at all on the highway.Not much more in town. I was nervous pulling into traffic from the gas station when I spelled my friend off in hers on a road trip.

theken
11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Boat
What do you guys think about tire size especially in the nasty winters we get? Won't the small tires increase the risk of getting stuck? wider tires get stuck easier

Rat Fink
11-15-2011, 11:01 PM

duaner
11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
My take is that it is probably more economical to drive your SE-R than to purchase, insure, maintain, and put gas into another vehicle, even an econo-box.

snoop101
11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11-chevrolet-cruze-and-12-ford-focus-vs-jetta-elantra-and-mazda-3-comparison-test

I have the mag that this is in and its a decent comparison other then the TDI because I don't think its should be in that group.