PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Focus Hatchback

npham
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone recommends one dealership over another? Or if anyone has a sales guy to recommend. I'm closest to Metro, but would be willing to check out another dealership as well. There's a dealership in Edmonton with crazy deals all the time too, and I was wondering if they would match any of the advertised deals easily.

As well, anyone drive either of these cars? Looking for some first hand experience.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I've driven the Focus and I really enjoyed it. I hear there might be an ST version coming soon :devil:

npham
11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Car was pretty bad, and the sales guy was worse at Metro Ford. Going to look into other options now.

Gibson
11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
What didn't you like about it? Seriously considering an ST model for my next car.

revelations
11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Must have.... RS (but cant here)

npham
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
What didn't you like about it? Seriously considering an ST model for my next car.

- I knew it would be gutless, but the stuttering from the transmission at low speeds was awful.
- Base audio package layout was done but a drunk(only way to get out of some menus quickly was to power the stereo off and then back on).
- Seats were not that comfy, maybe they would get better with some more break in but the headrests were angled towards the driver too much and could not be adjusted.
- Interior and dash was mis-matched and bothered the hell out of me for some reason. For example, air vents closest to the windows were one colour(matte black), but the ones on the centre console were another(glossy silver).

I'm sure there are more, but the drive was easily the worst part about the car. Absolutely no power between 40-70km\hr. Definitely needs the RS version.

rookie b
11-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

frizzlefry
11-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I had a 2006 Focus I leased from Metro, it had major brake issues (booster would lose vacuum after being parked) which made the brakes near useless for the first 5-7 stops after it was parked for a while. I brought it into metro 7 times to have it fixed; they never could figure it out. Then I rear ended someone as I was leaving a parking lot because the brakes were almost non-responsive (You could work around the issue by pumping the brakes for 15 seconds before driving in order build up the vacuum in the booster, I forgot to do that, my bad) and I brought it back in to Metro Ford to have them look again. Then I, not metro, found a TSB for the issue by googling the problem. I told them about the TSB and they said "Oh, we did not have that in our database"....you would think after 7 trips they would take some initiative and do some research.

Sales guys were ok but the service dept blows.

Rat Fink
11-15-2011, 07:03 PM

RY213
11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I had one as a rental a few weeks ago, it was actually pretty awesome!
Pluses:
Leather
Nav
Sunroof
Full Ipod connectivity
Back up camera
Has that park assist where it parallel parks itself
Negatives:
No power at all, it was really slow.
It was awful on snow. It would not move anywhere, on a level surface too. The traction control would kick in and apply the brakes and I couldnt get it to move. Could be the tires too, but it had all seasons that the car came with. They shouldnt have been that bad.

Over all I really liked the car, but the lack of power was the big deal breaker for me...

Gibson
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by npham

- I knew it would be gutless, but the stuttering from the transmission at low speeds was awful.
- Base audio package layout was done but a drunk(only way to get out of some menus quickly was to power the stereo off and then back on).
- Seats were not that comfy, maybe they would get better with some more break in but the headrests were angled towards the driver too much and could not be adjusted.
- Interior and dash was mis-matched and bothered the hell out of me for some reason. For example, air vents closest to the windows were one colour(matte black), but the ones on the centre console were another(glossy silver).

I'm sure there are more, but the drive was easily the worst part about the car. Absolutely no power between 40-70km\hr. Definitely needs the RS version.

Yeah I've read about the issues on the auto transmission, there's a whole lotta complaints out there. Also heard that 99% of owners hate the MyFordTouch system with a passion haha.

At least if I were to buy one it would be a manual, and hopefully by the time the ST comes out it the MyFordTouch would be improved. I think they sent out an update via USB drive not too long ago.

npham
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
The auto trans in the new Focus and Fiesta is something to get used to. The "stuttering" you are feeling is because the trans is basically an auto tranny mated with a manual tranny. So that hesitation feeling is exactly the same as if you are letting out the clutch on a manual trans. It does have a clutch, two in fact

With that said, that trans is new technology and I find a bunch of them are noisy as hell between shifts, especially once its had some miles put on it. I would wait until next years model in case there are bugs to be worked out.....which I'm guessing there might be.

Manual trans FTW though.

The sales guy didn't even know it was a DCT, which reminds me about how the sales guy continuously made of stuff that he didn't know right away. I'd rather him go away and find the answer out for me instead of lying to my face or make something. I think I pulled my phone out twice to show him how wrong he really was about the Focus.

Either way, this car is not for my parents.

Twenty
11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Honestly, I love my '12. FYI though, there was no '11 hatch. They just came back for this model year.

-The auto/manual transmission is a common concern. It does feel weird, but apparently you get used to it. My solution was to get a real manual, which is brilliant. Problem solved.

Which trim level did you look at?

npham
11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
SEL but still didn't like the finishes. I think there are other cars in the high 20's which are better equipped.

rookie b
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

npham
11-16-2011, 04:06 PM
That's a great price, but the engine/transmission is something I can't get my head around. If it came with some other options for engines and a transmission that doesn't have quirks, I could get over the finishes and seats quite easily.

gruster
11-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Wait till next year, 2013 will come with 1.6 eco-boost engine as standard.

Zero102
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by gruster
Wait till next year, 2013 will come with 1.6 eco-boost engine as standard.

This is one of the reasons I've held off on pulling the trigger on a new focus :burnout: :burnout:

Cos
11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Fiesta ST:

Ford Fiesta ST Five-Door Concept wants you inside it
I wonder what the five-door Ford Fiesta ST concept foretells? Could it be a five-door, 180-hp EcoBoosted Ford Fiesta? Although we'll find out at the Los Angeles Auto Show later this month for sure, but, yes, of course it does.
See if you can follow us here. We saw a Focus ST concept and then a Ford Focus ST production model.

Now we have a new ST "concept" powered by a 1.6-liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine, just like in the car Ken Block drives except almost not at all. Soon we'll see the "future high-performance Fiesta" they're promising.

As with the European version, the car gets a rear diffuser with twin exhausts, 17-inch alloys, a lowered stance, wider wheel arches, and other styling cues. Power is targeted at 180-hp and 177 lb-ft of torque, enough to let you at least pretend you're a real rally-crosser.

View the gallery The main difference in the American version is the addition of extra doors so you can stuff your fat friends, fat family, and fat cases of Monster Energy drink in the back. But luckily, it at least retains the six-speed manual transmission.

And you know, it's the little things, right?

http://carissued.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Concept-Front.jpg

http://www.carinreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Concept-Rear-Angle-588x423.jpg
Source: http://jalopnik.com/5855972/ford-fiesta-st-five+door-concept-wants-you-inside-it

revelations
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Just wanted to bump this ....

ST coming in late 2012 as a 2013 model. 247 HP .... its no RS, but it will have to do for now.

http://sportscardesigns.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012-Ford-Focus-ST-Side-View-440x330.jpg

http://sportscardesigns.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012-Ford-Focus-ST-Interior-440x330.jpg

Trinzler
02-13-2012, 12:07 AM
I really hope that they make the RS a 4WD hatch, we really need another competitor in that arena.

revelations
02-13-2012, 12:35 AM
The RS might be coming here in 2015....

Team_Mclaren
02-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Just wanted to bump this ....

ST coming in late 2012 as a 2013 model. 247 HP .... its no RS, but it will have to do for now.

Saw it last year at the LA auto show, car looks amazing. Do WANT