PDA

View Full Version : Review: Blink

lilmira
11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Name: Blink (http://blink-calgary.com/)

I was looking for a birthday gift for the significant. While I was browsing the websites of various restaurants in town I noticed that Blink offers cooking classes regularly. I figured that we’d have fun since we both enjoy food and cooking. From the website it says they have class on the last Sunday every month. I emailed the restaurant for reservation. I got a reply from the manager Sharon that there was a class available that week. Even better, we wouldn’t have to wait so I booked it. We haven’t been to Blink before, it looked like a decent place from the pictures on the website.

We showed up a bit before 5 and we were the first people there. The restaurant was closed for the class, which made sense. I don’t think the customers would like to see a bunch of strangers running around in the kitchen while waiting for food. We were greeted by Leslie (director/co-owner) and Nicole, very friendly ladies. Not a very big restaurant, high ceiling, exposed original bricks, paintings here and there, not too bright, not too dark, just right IMO. There is a private dinning room, it’ll probably fit 10-12 people. They served us sparkling right away. We then chitchat about the menu of the night and found out that we actually didn’t get to cook. Hmm, a bit disappointed at this point. Leslie told us that there would be wine pairing and some people would get pretty loaded at the end of the night. Ok, in that case, it’s probably a good idea that I didn’t get to cook. Even when I’m sober, I’m not sure if I’m good enough to make a memorable meal. People started showing up, soon after we moved into the kitchen.

Chairs were lined up facing the stoves in front of a couple stainless islands. I guessed that’s where we would eat. A typical restaurant kitchen as one would expect, sparkling clean though. Leslie said that it’s one of the cleanest kitchens in town, take her words for it. She introduced us the chef, Andrew, where he worked before and how Blink started. Not that I’m not interested on details but I downed a few glasses of sparkling already, feeling good lol.

First course, beets (bullseye/golden) salad with goat cheese finished with various sprouts and a pistachio dressing. Andrew demonstrated how it’s made. He’s very nice and humble. All questions were answered. A simple salad that I can do now, nothing too special but nicely done.

Second course, west coast halibut with a soy/balsamic vinaigrette type. Andrew brought out a fresh whole hali (~15lber). It was most likely still swimming 24hr ago. He showed us how to tell if the fish is fresh, then proceed to fillet right in front of us. Very nicely done with his super sharp knife. It’s definitely a better idea that I didn’t get to cook. The fillets were cut into equal sized pieces (~2” thick) and generously seasoned with salt to draw the moisture out. They were then quickly seared on both sides then put into the oven. Soon after we were served a perfectly cooked hali finished with lightly cooked brussels sprout. Wow, that’s good fish. So fresh, the vinaigrette worked perfectly. Now I know what to do with my fish in the freezer.

Third course, stuffed organic farm chicken breast. Andrew demonstrated how to fillet and cut the wings/legs off the chicken. That’s a good chicken, not a whole lot of fat underneath the skin.
Pan seared first then put into the oven for about 20min. Wow again, perfectly cooked, the chicken tasted as good as it looked. I don’t remember the sauce, I was pretty loaded at this point lol.

Dessert time, liquid centered chocolate cake with coconut sorbet. Andrew explained that this recipe was actually discovered accidentally. When it was served originally, it’s supposed to be just chocolate cake. The chef thought that he screwed up the timing and undercooked but later on found out that everyone loved it. We got to try a dark and a milk chocolate that he used. Both were very good. Soon after, dessert was served. Wow OMFG was that ever good. It’s like that Seinfeld episode, we were completely satisfied. I’m not a religious person but I was thanking god every bite I took.

I could have described the wines but I’m no where near a wine expert. All I remember was that I had a lot of wine. There wasn’t one that I like very much personally but they are all very unique and they were all paired very nicely with the food served. Leslie did all the introduction for the wine pairing. She seems to be quite knowledgeable with her wine.

Food: 10 out of 10 (Can't complain especially when you can see the food made in front of you by the chef)

Ambiance: 10 out of 10.

Service: 10 out of 10. Outstanding when you are being served by the owners of the restaurant, they are both very friendly. My glass was never empty lol.

Pricing: 10 out of 10. It's 125 a head for the class. Considering that this is more like a private dinning with non-stop wine pairing and you get to spend the entire dinner with the chef, it's pretty good price if you ask me. You can spend just about the same in the dinning area in a normal dinner.

Overall: 10 out of 10. We both enjoyed the whole experience. It's a great thing to do with the lady. It's definitely better than just a nice dinner. We'll go back to Blink for sure and most likely do the class again. I would recommend this place to everyone.

Euro_Trash
11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Will definitely add to the list of things to try. Thanks for the review

phreezee
03-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Went here for lunch today, and it was completely forgettable.
Starters: beet salad, grilled squid.
Mains: Braised short ribs and Albacore Tuna

Food: 7/10
The short ribs were dry and not tender at all, I can and have done better at home.

Ambiance: 7/10
Nothing stand out here.

Service: 7/10
Missed the appetizer quality check, and timing for the mains was quite slow.

Pricing: 8 out of 10.
I felt the appetizers were over priced, but the mains were good/fair, especially for the tuna.

Overall:7/10
I definitely won't be back and have no idea how this place was #4 in Avenue this year. Should have known if they think Notable even makes a top 10 list and Rouge is top 5.

A790
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
Went here for lunch today, and it was completely forgettable.
Starters: beet salad, grilled squid.
Mains: Braised short ribs and Albacore Tuna

Food: 7/10
The short ribs were dry and not tender at all, I can and have done better at home.

Ambiance: 7/10
Nothing stand out here.

Service: 7/10
Missed the appetizer quality check, and timing for the mains was quite slow.

Pricing: 8 out of 10.
I felt the appetizers were over priced, but the mains were good/fair, especially for the tuna.

Overall:7/10
I definitely won't be back and have no idea how this place was #4 in Avenue this year. Should have known if they think Notable even makes a top 10 list and Rouge is top 5.

So 7/10 isn't worth exploring again?

I don't get some people...

phreezee
03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by A790

I wish I didn't go the 1st time.
With all the options in town, why would you go back to a 7/10? Also noting that Teatro, Trib, Divino, Charcut, The Catch, etc are all in a 1 block radius.

A790
03-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

I wish I didn't go the 1st time.
With all the options in town, why would you go back to a 7/10? Also noting that Teatro, Trib, Divino, Charcut, The Catch, etc are all in a 1 block radius.
Teatro = 8/10, Trib = 7/19, Divino = 5/10, Charcut = 7/10.

I just find it hilarious how you're all "eh, it was 7/10... I won't be back", as if they spat in your food or something.

JRSC00LUDE
03-22-2014, 02:48 PM

No one on Beyond fucks anything under a 9, how could they be expected to eat at a 7? Disgusting.

phreezee
03-22-2014, 03:51 PM

Teatro = 8/10, Trib = 7/19, Divino = 5/10, Charcut = 7/10.

I just find it hilarious how you're all "eh, it was 7/10... I won't be back", as if they spat in your food or something.

Thanks, now I don't have to try Trib or Divino. :rofl:
I will go back to Charcut for their duck fat poutine though.

blitz
03-22-2014, 04:26 PM
With all the excellent restaurants in calgary, I typically don't go back to 7/10's either.

turbotrip
03-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by blitz
With all the excellent restaurants in calgary, I typically don't go back to 7/10's either.
:werd: