PDA

View Full Version : Good Watchmaker in Calgary?

Cheeba
11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a couple of mechanical watches that need servicing - any recommendations on someone who is good? They're rather common movements - both ETA - so it's nothing exotic. It's for an Oris TT1 Diver and Sinn 856S UTC if you watch guys are interested.

Pacman
11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Joe at the Sears watch repair in Chinook Centre is good. He used to work for Rolex and is well trained.

Andre at Swiss Watch Clinic (on the corner of 17th ave and 14th Street SW, below the Mothi Mahal Indian restaurant) is also good, having worked for Rado and Eterna.

Does the Sinn have the copper sulphide moisture capsule in the side of the case? I doubt they will be able to get a replacement part, as Sinn wants the watches shipped back for replacement.

R!zz0
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Watch warehouse on 32nd. Awesome prices and very well experienced on all high end watches.

Pacman
11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Watch warehouse on 32nd. Awesome prices and very well experienced on all high end watches.

I had a terrible experience with him when he serviced a Tudor about 10 years ago. He scratched the dial, refused to accept responsibility and to top it off, he hadn't tightened down the screw on the rotor, which came off a few months later.

R!zz0
11-15-2011, 10:11 AM
My Dad takes his Rado there and so far i don't think he had any issues with him. I take my Mont Blanc to Birks in chinook for all my servicing. I'll try him next time and see.

Cheeba
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! I never would have thought a guy at Sears could work on Swiss and German mechanical watches. I'll skip Watch Warehouse based just on Pac's experience.

The Sinn does indeed have the copper sulphide capsule, but the watch is only a few years old so I don't see any reason to replace it (it hasn't changed colour at all). Hhhmmm, I just did some searching and it looks like the capsule should be replaced every time you service the watch. I guess it's authorized Sinn service for the 856 then; and, I'll try Joe or Andre for the Oris.

Weapon_R
11-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Apparently there is a place in China town that services watches for a good price. Someone in here remember the name?

bourge73
11-15-2011, 06:58 PM
^^ its in the Asian mall where the all you can eat sushi place is. I bring all my watches there. Same side of the mall as the small Viet Sub/Resto is. (for the life of me I cant remember the name )

Seth1968
11-15-2011, 07:07 PM
I mean no disrespect, but I'm curious as to why someone would have such interest into something which is so meaningless?

Seth1968
11-15-2011, 07:08 PM

s dime
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I mean no disrespect, but I'm curious as to why someone would have such interest into something which is so meaningless?

What are you referring to as meaningless? Watches? Or taking care of them?

D'z Nutz
11-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I've also had good experience with Joe at Sear's Chinook.

Scat E46
11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Joe is good, but he is not perfect. I have done a lot of business with him (RE: thousands of watches) and his staff does butcher some (battery changes, scratches on the case), and Joe himself stripped an Oris divers case back and it had to be sent back to Oris.

But we're talking one automatic watch.

I'd still recommend him.

Pacman
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Scat E46
Joe is good, but he is not perfect. I have done a lot of business with him (RE: thousands of watches) and his staff does butcher some (battery changes, scratches on the case), and Joe himself stripped an Oris divers case back and it had to be sent back to Oris.

But we're talking one automatic watch.

I'd still recommend him.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no excuse for scratches on casebacks etc. Stripping a caseback is not an easy thing to do and I would be pissed if it happened to one of my watches.

Was it Joe doing the work, or one of his staff? When I take a watch there, I don't even let his staff touch it and will wait for Joe to become available.

BokCh0y
11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I've been to Joe to service my vintage Rolex and my Tag's. No issues whatsoever.

Even had Joe repair my Rolex when my nephew tossed it off the 2nd floor balcony...that was not a pretty site, but he did an excellent job puttin git back together.

I think Joe is also certififed to work on Omega watches as well.

The only thing his staff do for me, is write up the work order.

I highly recommend Joe.

sneek
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Joe has taken good care of some of my vintage Omega's. I believe his brother owns a service centre in Vancouver or Toronto.

That Oris story makes me worry a bit. I have an Oris F1 that is running faster than usual and I was thinking about taking it to him. The F1's just need a small flat head to remove the back IIRC.

Weapon_R
11-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
^^ its in the Asian mall where the all you can eat sushi place is. I bring all my watches there. Same side of the mall as the small Viet Sub/Resto is. (for the life of me I cant remember the name )

Have you taken anything pricey there? I'm thinking of taking a couple watches for service but not sure if they are trustworthy

rage2
11-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I bought this highly limited watch for about 13k. Another one recently sold...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs-tag-heuer-calibre-360-pvd-carrera-chrono-573830.html

Good enough reason? :)

Strider
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Bump

Anyone know where Joe is now that Chinook Sears closed down?

BokCh0y
10-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I've been told he's gone over to the South Centre location now.

Tomaz
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I've been told he's gone over to the South Centre location now.

Is this confirmed? I have a few batteries that need to be replaced.