PDA

View Full Version : working in the oil sands

VetteRacin
11-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Im just curious, who currently works up in ftmac area from here or has in the past?

Darkane
11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I do

Ryan Shawcross
11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I worked up there for years, back in Calgary now, I can answer most questions you might have.

Aerobat
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Watch fubar 2

lellowrx7
11-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat
Watch fubar 2

+1

Pretty much sums it up. Same kinda scenery, people, same lifestyle. Finance your big trucks and house, knock some bitch up and your stuck for life.
Currently on my second year with none of the above though :)

VetteRacin
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
oh Ive been working up there as well for the last 2 years, that's why I was curious, only in in the mining tire industry.

Redlined_8000
11-16-2011, 09:25 PM
yar.

desi112
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
how do you get inside the oilsands?

Canmorite
11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by desi112
how do you get inside the oilsands?

A shovel.

brucebanner
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat
Watch fubar 2
:facepalm:

That shows some part of the oil industry, not an accurate showing of the oil industry as a whole though.

Been working in the oil industry for the past 5+ years.

VetteRacin
11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
what mines are yall at?

lauphman
11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Anyone know if plumbers work on the camp jobs?

Ryan Shawcross
11-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by lauphman
Anyone know if plumbers work on the camp jobs?

In the camps, yes, but not on the industrial sites. If you have your fitter certification then you'll have no problem finding a job up north.

lauphman
11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
I have 1 year left to finish plumbing / gasfittimg and was gonna go for pipefitting right after. Was wondering if there's work for what I already have finished? I don't know who to contact, I've emailed and called the 488 union for some info but no one ever gets back to me.

Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross

In the camps, yes, but not on the industrial sites. If you have your fitter certification then you'll have no problem finding a job up north.

Ryan Shawcross
11-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by lauphman
I have 1 year left to finish plumbing / gasfittimg and was gonna go for pipefitting right after. Was wondering if there's work for what I already have finished? I don't know who to contact, I've emailed and called the 488 union for some info but no one ever gets back to me.

Go down to the union hall on one of their open house nights and you'll be able to meet and talk with someone personally. Well worth the effort.

brucebanner
11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm at Cnrl Horizon. Some plumbers work as pipefitters if they are ticketed plumbers. However, all of the plumbers I see around are being told they have to get a pipefitting ticket.

citydude22
11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
I worked up there for years, back in Calgary now, I can answer most questions you might have.

Can you get a job up there if you have no expereience whatsoever but are willing to work however hard as necessary? What's your living situation usually, and do you need your own truck or whatever? Any other comments?

I was thinking of taking another year of from business school to do this for a winter. Is it worth it?

brucebanner
11-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by citydude22

Can you get a job up there if you have no expereience whatsoever but are willing to work however hard as necessary? What's your living situation usually, and do you need your own truck or whatever? Any other comments?

I was thinking of taking another year of from business school to do this for a winter. Is it worth it?

Anyone can get a job up north. It's more about who you know versus what you know though. Whatever family/friends you have that work in the field, see if they can help.

As far living situation. Typically you are in a camp setting. Basically numerous trailers connected that lead to other living space(Kitchen, games room, gym etc.).

Don't need your own truck. Some people do, but what you're looking for it's not a concern. Some places offer flights to and from site, others don't and you have to travel there with your own vehicle.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

4DoorGTZ
11-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Been in/out of Conklin the last 3yrs or so surveying on the Devon projects between Cenovus and the weapons range.

If you're a social butterfly and stuck in camp you just have to get out of your room and spend time in the rec room/gym or other public spaces, make friends. If you like to keep to yourself you dont have to see anyone except for dinner time.

Hi-Psi
11-22-2011, 10:29 AM
I've been working up north as a medic for the last 7 years. Been on a ton of sites including Nexen Long Lake, Stat Oil, Kearl and Husky Sunrise.

Right now on Husky Sunrise but spent the last 2 years on Kearl before this.

Kearl and Stat Oil are probably the 2 best sites you could ever work on, great sites, awesome camps and decent rotations. I just started at Husky this month and it's been good so far, I've heard it's one of the better sites up north as well. Seems a little more relaxed then Kearl.

Anyone else been on any of these sites?

Jason

citydude22
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

Anyone can get a job up north. It's more about who you know versus what you know though. Whatever family/friends you have that work in the field, see if they can help.

As far living situation. Typically you are in a camp setting. Basically numerous trailers connected that lead to other living space(Kitchen, games room, gym etc.).

Don't need your own truck. Some people do, but what you're looking for it's not a concern. Some places offer flights to and from site, others don't and you have to travel there with your own vehicle.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Do you have to apply online or in person if you don't know anybody out there? Should I get my certificates (H2S, First Aid) before applying?

Thanks for all the advice.

VetteRacin
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
well most of these companies are switching to online applications

brucebanner
11-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Getting those tickets would definitely increase your chances. H2S Alive, first aid, csts are all good courses to get and have if you're looking to get in the oil field.

I would drive to Nisku and take a pile of resumes with you. If you carry yourself well, present yourself properly you will likely end up with a job.

Redlined_8000
11-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I applied without any of my H2S or first aid and my company paid for my training.

seer_claw
11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I've worked up here since 99. I've had the fun of being able to see all the major mines as well as some of the insitu projects. I'm at CNRL Horizon now and I can't complain at all.

brucebanner
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
I've worked up here since 99. I've had the fun of being able to see all the major mines as well as some of the insitu projects. I'm at CNRL Horizon now and I can't complain at all.

Who do you work for? What shift do you work? I'm on the same site and currently here haha.

seer_claw
11-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Who do you work for? What shift do you work? I'm on the same site and currently here haha.

I'm with CNRL directly now, 8-6 shift. How about you? Who do you work for?

brucebanner
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw

I'm with CNRL directly now, 8-6 shift. How about you? Who do you work for?

I'll just send you a PM so we don't hijack OP's thread.

VetteRacin
12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
funny thing is in also currently on horizon lol

Nav13
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I will be starting on a coring project at the middle of the month. I'll be working for cenovous at Christina lake. Any body have experience with that site? Any tips from the geos on here about working on coring projects? I've been doing well site for for about 5 months now. First time going to the oil sands though.

stealth
12-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi
I've been working up north as a medic for the last 7 years. Been on a ton of sites including Nexen Long Lake, Stat Oil, Kearl and Husky Sunrise.

Right now on Husky Sunrise but spent the last 2 years on Kearl before this.

Kearl and Stat Oil are probably the 2 best sites you could ever work on, great sites, awesome camps and decent rotations. I just started at Husky this month and it's been good so far, I've heard it's one of the better sites up north as well. Seems a little more relaxed then Kearl.

Anyone else been on any of these sites?

Jason

A medic at Long Lake? Were you a contractor there?

I worked for OPTI and Nexen for 3 years.

brucebanner
12-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by VetteRacin
funny thing is in also currently on horizon lol

Haha, Beyond taking over Horizon! What do you do on site, work directly for CNRL?

FraserB
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Can we just rename this thread "Who does not work on a CNRL project"? It would seem easier lol.

HuMz
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Did a year up at CNRL in 2008, just got back with 424 gonna try and get on at Kearl early in the new year. Edit: I should mention as a Journeyman Electrician.

SR240SX
12-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I build a ton of equipment for CNRL, looking at taking on a service job here and heading out to the feild for a bit.

VetteRacin
12-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Haha, Beyond taking over Horizon! What do you do on site, work directly for CNRL?

Nope, contractor, im in tires.

ka-t240sx
12-11-2011, 01:50 AM
dont mean to thread jack, but is anyone here a instrument tech?
wondering what your experiences are working up in fort mack or in calgary.

lellowrx7
12-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm up at athabasca oil sands
Just like someone else said I applied for my company without tickets and they paid for me to get mine.
We just signed a contract with CNRL too so add a possible one more to the list :p

If your staying in a camp, two golden rules.
Avoid gravy
Avoid fruit

And if you don't know if your camp has community showers or not (which unfortunately some still do) bring sandals

BangBang
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
money looks good in the oilsands......:poosie: :banghead:

Florida_Son
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
I'm up at athabasca oil sands
Just like someone else said I applied for my company without tickets and they paid for me to get mine.
We just signed a contract with CNRL too so add a possible one more to the list :p

If your staying in a camp, two golden rules.
Avoid gravy
Avoid fruit

And if you don't know if your camp has community showers or not (which unfortunately some still do) bring sandals

What do you do lellowrx7?

Hi-Psi
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by stealth

A medic at Long Lake? Were you a contractor there?

I worked for OPTI and Nexen for 3 years.

Well originally I was on the Kinosis side, worked there as a medic for 2 years with Marshall's Safety ending 3 years ago. This month though I ended up on the Long Lake side of the project again working as a medic for Marshall's.