PDA

View Full Version : Need Logo Design

tnuc
11-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Is there any members here that know how to create a logo for my company. We are a contracting company who specialize in exteriors but do all aspects of home renovations from custom stone work to bathrooms to kitchens.
The company is called SPIDER contracting, and any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Kloubek
11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Really? You named the company "Spider Contracting"?

I would reconsider that name. It has serious negative connotations. Should you come up with a name that might help lead to success and aren't offended by my suggestion, I'd be happy to make something for you. There are a few others on here who would probably be happy to help too.

DeeK
11-16-2011, 12:19 AM
What's wrong with spider contracting, aside from the silly fear of spiders? Spiders build webs that can withstand tornado force winds. I can't imagine any other homebuilder trade that can claim that. Spiders are also highly efficient. For every negative trait of a spider, there is at least two positives.

I don't see any issues.

I demand a hammock.

tnuc
11-16-2011, 12:44 AM
What do you think would be a witty name,
I am a contractor and am not into marketing.
i appreciate the ideas

pea_soup
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
www.99designs.com

Relatively cheap and very reliable.

Tik-Tok
11-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
What's wrong with spider contracting

First thing I think of is some inked up gang member nicknamed "Spider". Not someone who I would trust to work on my house...

Rat Fink
11-16-2011, 02:03 AM

InRich
11-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Isnt there already a Spider Roofing or something. I've seen some signs some where.

edit, and oh yea its a shitty name

bourge73
11-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Thats a terrible name. Makes me think that you like to bend people over and put it in their Spider.. Anything would be better, even TNUC Contracting.

A790
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
You can get a good logo for under $50 from these guys: http://www.calgaryhomebusiness.ca/review-logonerds-logo-development/

Guillermo
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Kloubek, is right, "spider" has too many negative connotations. how many thousands of words are there, surely you can find something that isn't so creepy.

ercchry
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
you guys are crazy... ever heard of a little brand called spyder? they sell high end ski jackets, they seem to be doing alright :nut:

Guillermo
11-16-2011, 10:39 AM
^^they target a very, very small market consisting of people who think they're into "extreme" sports. so Spyder is probably appropriate for that....

A790
11-16-2011, 10:39 AM
If you guys honestly believe that someone will refuse to do business with them because their name has "spider" in it I don't really know what to tell you.

After all, Reggin Plumbing is doing just fine...

Guillermo
11-16-2011, 10:46 AM
why not try and find a word that is a symbol or metaphor for they type of work you do, or service you provide?

in contracting, i would think you would want to convey quality, reliability, trust, hard working, etc. i'm sure you can come up with a word that has these connotations. heck, there is even a sub on the Mike Holmes show called "Reliable Contractors" or something like that - and they've been doing roofs for Holmes for about a decade now.

when people think of a spider, they think of something creepy and crawly that could bit and kill them. how does that relate to the work you do?

Tik-Tok
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by A790
If you guys honestly believe that someone will refuse to do business with them because their name has "spider" in it I don't really know what to tell you.

After all, Reggin Plumbing is doing just fine...

Reggin wasn't named after the connotations you are implying. It's also not nearly as obvious. If Mrs. Jane Housewife saw two names, one "Spider Conracting", and the other "S.P. Ider Conracting"... she'd be calling S.P. Ider.

tnuc
11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I've had a few suggestions so far
bluewave construction
Imperial Apex

ercchry
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo
^^they target a very, very small market consisting of people who think they're into "extreme" sports. so Spyder is probably appropriate for that....

yet our Olympians still wear spyder for all the world to see...

tnuc
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
i also like trojan

Kloubek
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM

You of all people should be aware how important it is to speak to your customer. Nothing says "Fix my house" like the image of a hairy insect biting flies and bundling them up to save for tomorrow's dinner.

It isn't that people would *refuse* to do business with them, but anything that puts your business in a negative light is often the difference between someone making the call or not. There are plenty of good names out there... I see no reason to pick one representing something that typically puts fear or disgust in people.

Guillermo
11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

yet our Olympians still wear spyder for all the world to see...

OK you're right, they're targeting soccer moms and grandmothers. :rolleyes:

Kg810
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Cockroach Contracting
We Deal With It
http://i.imgur.com/BHLh9.png

D'z Nutz
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by tnuc
i also like trojan

No. It sounds like you're going to hide in a wooden horse and jump out and murder everyone once you get into their homes.

tnuc
11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
i agree with you kloubek
after discussing with my brother what do you think of blue wave?

spikerS
11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
i also like trojan

When ever I see something called "Trojan", I immediately think of condoms.

I can't be the only one, so I would not chose that name LOL

Aside from that fact we are in Calgary, with no large bodies of water, I rather like blue wave.

ercchry
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo

OK you're right, they're targeting soccer moms and grandmothers. :rolleyes:

and who hire contractors? ;)

tnuc
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
i highly like BLUEWAVE

bourge73
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
That sure the hell beats Spider, but sounds like you focus on building pools?

tnuc
11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
building pools? seriously

InRich
11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
LOL! cockroach contracting! thats classic!

A790
11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

You of all people should be aware how important it is to speak to your customer. Nothing says "Fix my house" like the image of a hairy insect biting flies and bundling them up to save for tomorrow's dinner.

It isn't that people would *refuse* to do business with them, but anything that puts your business in a negative light is often the difference between someone making the call or not. There are plenty of good names out there... I see no reason to pick one representing something that typically puts fear or disgust in people.
While the name choice isn't ideal, I don't see it being a huge negative for his business. When you see an ad on TV, hear one on the radio, or see a PPC ad on Google, you never think to discriminate due to the name. Buyers look for benefits first and foremost, and so long as the advertising speaks to that the business name is second.

It's not as if his name is "Gayer than Two Men Fucking Fencing Inc." or something like that.

Kloubek
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
i agree with you kloubek
after discussing with my brother what do you think of blue wave?

I agree with the comment that this sounds like it is related to water. At least there is nothing negative about the name.

I am not going to sit here and brainstorm a lot of business names with you while I'm at work, but I think you want to name it something that conveys the impression you want to give people about your business. Think about what you want your product or service to represent. In contracting, perhaps quality or workmanship is what you're after.

Consider what makes your company stand out from the others. Perhaps focus on that aspect. 100% literal names are not always a good thing but this is why you see a lot of company names out there like "Imperial", "Royal", "Quality", etc. In your case, maybe "rigid", "solid" are the kinds of words you're after. (Though both of these words might look fairly lame in a business name, but I put them out there to give you an idea what what I mean)

One more thing you might want to think about that I was taught back in the day is that in phone books, the company names with "A" or a number are the ones shown first on the list, and the first people see. This is why you see business names like "A1" or "AAA". However, I wonder if this is that important now since... well... who the hell uses phone books anymore.

It's not as if his name is "Gayer than Two Men Fucking Fencing Inc." or something like that. :clap: That's just a ridiculous name. It would never fit on the side of a van.

403Gemini
11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

:clap: That's just a ridiculous name. It would never fit on the side of a van.

Challenge accepted... Anybody got a van we can "Borrow" ? ;)

HyperZell
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

No. It sounds like you're going to hide in a wooden horse and jump out and murder everyone once you get into their homes.

Am I the only one that lol'ed at this?

I am a marketer, and I definitely think that putting a lot of thought into the name is important. It's what you're going to be building (pardon the pun) everything on, as it acts as a first impression. It's not the only important thing, but it's important nonetheless.

Think about imagery, alliteration, connotation, etc. Good luck!

bourge73
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
You asked for opinions, so you got them. Spider Contracting? Its just not a good name ? then Blue Wave? you dont think that sounds like a pool company? Call it whatever you want man. Maybe call it Corky's Contracting seems fitting.

A790
11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd go for a name that brings instant recognition. Remember, whether you realize it or not you're building a brand. That brand needs to evoke the kind of reaction in your customers that is favorable for both them and your business.

Would Spider Contracting be my first choice? No. Is it the worst you could do? No.

If I was a general contracting company, I might do something like "CityScape Contracting", or "Renovations by YOUR NAME" or something to that effect. Something brandable. Something that your customers can see and immediately relay back to you.

InRich
11-16-2011, 04:16 PM
hey OP.. trust me, you dont wanna call your company Spider Contracting... lol. no ones going to take you seriously. when I made my company, it took me about a month to think of a really great name.

darthVWader
11-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Superior Exteriors
Your one stop exterior and interior contractors. Doing it right the first time.

Fixed:thumbsup:

Kloubek
11-16-2011, 07:25 PM
^ That isn't actually that horrible. Except for the misuse of the apostrophe.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2011, 10:49 PM

HyperZell
11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I don't see what is wrong with Spider Contracting, it is just a name? Companies are built on reputations, not names.

Besides when I see names like that I see character, which usually means somebody who cares about their work enough to put some character into the name instead of trying to find something that conveys an empty message.

That's like meeting a guy named Douche. Yeah, don't judge a book by its cover and all that, but he's going to have a lot of mountains to climb to get anywhere in life.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM

HyperZell
11-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It isn't like he is naming his company Douche Contacting (although that would be hilarious).

Spider Contracting to me makes me think of a contractor that likes to do intricate and bold designs

Take Poison Spider Customs for instance;
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/

It isn't a terrible name IMO

I don't think it's terrible either, but it's not fantastic. And look at the site you linked - it's very punky, aggressive, rebellious. Are those the qualities you want people to think of in a contractor?

Also, Douche Canoe Contracting Company. Done.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2011, 11:17 PM

tnuc
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
so we made the decision to go with
Calgary Premier Contracting. so any help with logo would be appreciated

InRich
11-17-2011, 02:50 AM
so we made the decision to go with
Calgary Premier Contracting. so any help with logo would be appreciated

dude I hate to say it but your still on the wrong track...
its not simple...

heres something I thought of at the top of my head

Legendary Contracting
Epic Contracting
Unique Contracting

something along those lines...

CUG
11-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Cephalopod Contracting

msommers
11-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Speaking of funny names, I used to work for a company called Pyramid Corporation.

Think of how many stupid names are out there that are successful. Target, Safeway, tons of small oil companies...the list goes on. At the end of the day, people will care about your pricing and quality of work. Word of mouth advertising and the conversation will play out:

"Yeah we used Spyder Contracting. Kind of a goofy name but they did an awesome job"

"Cool I'll give them a call for a quote"

Start out easy with "[Last Name] Construction]"

Masked Bandit
11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
The worst company name I have ever come across....

Phucktard Framing

And no, I'm not making that up. It was a framing company I insured years ago. Big surprise, they didn't last too long.

Kloubek
11-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by InRich

dude I hate to say it but your still on the wrong track...
its not simple...

heres something I thought of at the top of my head

Legendary Contracting
Epic Contracting
Unique Contracting

I disagree. I mean, you're right in saying it isn't simple and generally short and sweet is better. But it is at least projecting the kind of image he wants. I think your first two suggestions seem... well.... rather pompous and a little over the top.