PDA

View Full Version : Moroccan food

snoop101
11-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Hi guys

Does anyone know where to get Moroccan food that isnt a high end establishment. Looking for more of a home style place or cafe setting. Another words I want Moroccan food, but don't need all the dazzle and the $100 bill.

wintonyk
11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
not sure what the food is like. but there is a place on 19th st nw. I drive by it every day Moroccan Castle. Its right beside dairy lane and the benjamin moore paints there.

snoop101
11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Ya moroccan castle, sultans tent and Casbah are all somewhat higher end restaurants. Im sure they are amazing, but was looking for something a little less dazzle and more home cooking

Swank
11-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I didn't think Moroccan castle was very high end when I was there a few years ago. It was delicious to say the least, and it's been there for over 20 years so they must be doing something right.

wintonyk
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
moroccan castle review said that they are 15-30 for a plate. I thought that was rather inexpensive

snoop101
11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Swank
I didn't think Moroccan castle was very high end when I was there a few years ago. It was delicious to say the least, and it's been there for over 20 years so they must be doing something right.

hmmm I was reading a review and a guy said it cost him and his wife 96 bucks.

Maybe i'll check it out

Mar
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
not sure what the food is like. but there is a place on 19th st nw. I drive by it every day Moroccan Castle. Its right beside dairy lane and the benjamin moore paints there.
Horrible food, weird atmosphere, way too expensive. Would not return.

89s1
11-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Been to sultans tent, neat atmosphere for sure.

Have no other experiences with moroccan food to compare it to, so I can't say much there.

flipstah
11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
The Casbah was great but def not cheap.

snoop101
11-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I think its funny that the same food can be bought for a buck or two in their own country. I guess thats what we get for being specialty food in Canada.

smartcar
11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
I think its funny that the same food can be bought for a buck or two in their own country. I guess thats what we get for being specialty food in Canada.
No it's because minimum wage, rent, property/business tax, utilities, etc. are higher than in "their own country".

flipstah
11-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

Everything is 'cheaper' when your salary is less. The (im)balance of life.

mr2mike
11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
I've tried them all and the Casbah is better than the rest.
But don't know where you can get cheap stuff.

Make it yourself? Its actually not too hard

Neil4Speed
11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Moroccan Castle was overpriced for what it was, cool ambiance. I would go back strictly for the mint tea which was awesome.

clem24
11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I've only gone to Moroccan Castle because of the BOGO coupon in the SUTP. Otherwise, I'd probably never go there. I'd say, sure, it's a little different and I don't know about you, but I can't really say I've been blown away by so called Moroccan food. I'll give props to that Phillo pastry thing and the belly dancer but the main courses are all overpriced and not overly great. The Sultan's Tent was a little better but pricey is the word. For what you get at these places, their food is worth at most half of what they charge.

LollerBrader
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I've only gone to Moroccan Castle because of the BOGO coupon in the SUTP. Otherwise, I'd probably never go there. I'd say, sure, it's a little different and I don't know about you, but I can't really say I've been blown away by so called Moroccan food. I'll give props to that Phillo pastry thing and the belly dancer but the main courses are all overpriced and not overly great. The Sultan's Tent was a little better but pricey is the word. For what you get at these places, their food is worth at most half of what they charge.

Been going there for over 15 years - It hasn't changed a bit.

Rumor has it that everything they have was ripped off from Sultan's tent, who created the original menu, the ambience, etc.