PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 93 SR-V

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Finally able to join a car forum, bought my first car! 93 Honda Prelude SR-V. Been driving for about 2 years but this is the first car I bought myself. Gotta put winters on i before I can drive, but too excited to get it going. It's all stock, so I'll be putting some money into it... What should I do first? And where is a good place for tint work? The tint is bubbling so bad i cant see out the window at night.

Cos
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Welcome. How many K? How is the body?

hurrdurr
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I would leave it stock

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Theres 220k on it, the body is pretty good overall, I can tell hes done some painting to cover scratches up though. But yeah I want to leave the body mainly stock, except rims. I was just thinking simple mods like intake and what not. I got it for a really good price so I am willing to put some money in.

Cos
11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
^^ Dont waste the money. It will need some repairs eventually and you will want a better car anyways.

But at the minimum, if you have to, put a stereo in.

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
It has a new stereo, speakers, and subs. Though I'm thinking of taking the sub out.

JfuckinC
11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Kohlman
It has a new stereo, speakers, and subs. Though I'm thinking of taking the sub out.

Not the BASS.... never the basssss...

I'm dying since my sub blew up :cry:

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Not the BASS.... never the basssss...

I'm dying since my sub blew up :cry:

But theres already no space, and the sub he put in sucks.

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I'll post pictures when I am able to.

mugensix
11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Take this advice and use it!

-You modify old cars, they break down, you loose money.
-Use it and drive it as a Daily driver, and save up so proper flow for a well equipped car.
-Mods like "intake" and subwoofer would be the only thing i would do. A generic ebay intake, which is as good as any other will run 100 bucks shipped. and even if you want to experience "rice" weld on a fart can to the axle back unit.

My 0.02

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mugensix
Take this advice and use it!

-You modify old cars, they break down, you loose money.
-Use it and drive it as a Daily driver, and save up so proper flow for a well equipped car.
-Mods like "intake" and subwoofer would be the only thing i would do. A generic ebay intake, which is as good as any other will run 100 bucks shipped. and even if you want to experience "rice" weld on a fart can to the axle back unit.

My 0.02

Not gonna buy a fart can, just wondering about some easy cheap mods to do, just to make the car more enjoyable while it lasts. I only paid 1500$ because the guy really needed the money, and thats already a lot lower then it can sell on Kijiji.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Make sure the timing belt has been done, its imperative on those older hondas.

blitz
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Save your cash for repairs.

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Make sure the timing belt has been done, its imperative on those older hondas.
The clutch and transmission were just put in, so I'd think if the guy was smart he would do the timing belt then. I'll look through the receipts and I'm getting aan inspection done soon

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 07:13 PM
cant wait to start hitting V-TEC:eek:

xnvy
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't put too much money into that kind of car unless you plan on keeping it for a long time. If you want tint, Shadowtint is recommended by many forum members.

Accord_tunerx
11-16-2011, 07:31 PM
srv?!?!?!? 1500!!!! man i would jumped on that so fast!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dm-tvAXYM

i fail...cant post videos

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
srv?!?!?!? 1500!!!! man i would jumped on that so fast!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dm-tvAXYM

i fail...cant post videos
Yeahh he had it up for 3000 which is still cheap for an SRV, I went over and said I couldnt get the rest of the money for a few weeks since I'm still doing midterms:zzz: He was like well I have 1200$ in tickets that need to be paid tomorrow so if you can come up with 1500 its yours. So I was quick to accept that, it runs good VTEC still kicks in, all the heaters work, new sounds system, heated mirrors work, heated seats work. I think it was an amazing deal.

Hage69
11-16-2011, 08:32 PM
If you cheap out and get eBay mods it's gunna cost you twice to get something that will last than the price of egay mods. Do what mugensix said

Kohlman
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Hage69
If you cheap out and get eBay mods it's gunna cost you twice to get something that will last than the price of egay mods. Do what mugensix said
As I said I'm willing to put some money in just to do some quick mods, I wont be going the ebay route. I don't plan on putting a ton of money in as I know its not worth it when theres 220k on it

DeeK
11-17-2011, 03:23 AM
We've all been there.. leave it stock, leave it as a daily driver, don't make the same mistake we did by modding our 1st cars.

It's a waste of money, save it. Save for your next car, chances are this car will die sooner than you think.

msommers
11-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Why even bother with an intake?

Kind of takes me back though.

List of mods I wanted to do on my first car (240):

1) Tint
2) stereo
3) Rims
4) Intake and exhaust
5) Lower

Then I realized I needed to make a noticeable difference and blew through thousands of dollars, that basically got wasted. Fun sure if you're going to keep it. But you don't and think, "why the fuck did I do that."

Congrats on your first ride though!!:thumbsup:

Sykes
11-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
We've all been there.. leave it stock, leave it as a daily driver, don't make the same mistake we did by modding our 1st cars.

It's a waste of money, save it. Save for your next car, chances are this car will die sooner than you think.

This just shows how much beyond's demograph has changed.

OP, don't spend money modding it (especially with eBay parts). Instead, spend you time and money learning how to properly fix, properly work on, and properly maintain your car. 10 years from now, when you're wrenching on your awesome looking, properly modded, well maintained car, you'll thank yourself :)

bituerbo
11-17-2011, 10:58 AM
What msommers (edit:and everyone else) said.

A '93 prelude w/ 220k isn't worth shit all to start modding. In a year, or two years time you'll be in a situation where you've sunk 5-10k into a car worth MAYBE 2. If you want to mod your vehicle in a way that will actually cause it to go up in value, start taking it apart, inspect everything and start replacing things like worn out suspension components (ball joints, bushings, tie-rod-ends, brake pads etc.) Put it back to showroom condition as best you can, at least mechanically. Use this as an opportunity to learn as much as you can about wrenching on cars, and start saving for something boss.

Sugarphreak
11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

hurrdurr
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Keep trading up.

Sell for $2500 and get something better

Kohlman
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
haha, bunch of old stooges in here!

I modded my past cars, giant waste of money... sure you bet. If I had to do it all again I wouldn't have done it any different. I had a lot of fun, learned how to do things on my own and met lots of great people along the way, at the end of the day that is what it is all about.

Go have fun, you are a kid... people (well not Beyond people) will understand :thumbsup:
Yeah when I posted this I had a completely different idea of what beyond people were like. I dont have money to buy a new car or something that I'll have fun in with low km. This will be a fun car 190hp stock isn't bad. I dont plan to put a ton of money in, I just want to have some fun with it

403Gemini
11-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Yeah when I posted this I had a completely different idea of what beyond people were like. I dont have money to buy a new car or something that I'll have fun in with low km. This will be a fun car 190hp stock isn't bad. I dont plan to put a ton of money in, I just want to have some fun with it

Hah, it's not what "we're like", it's how we were. 403Honda / Beyond has been around since what, 2002? What you're posting is the same thing we posted 8-9 years ago ;)

Most of us are just offering our life's advice. I had a 89 integra, spent more money fixing it than modding it, and that would be my recommendation to you - save the money, get it thoroughly inspected, make sure it is running in perfect order then MAYBE lower it a bit and some rims just so it looks a bit cleaner, and that would be it.

I'd say save your money for a house/condo, school, better car, etc.

I remember posting in 2003 how unfair it was that I had to pay ludicrous insurance rates... 8 years later... I get it now :thumbsup:

Kohlman
11-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Hah, it's not what "we're like", it's how we were. 403Honda / Beyond has been around since what, 2002? What you're posting is the same thing we posted 8-9 years ago ;)

Most of us are just offering our life's advice. I had a 89 integra, spent more money fixing it than modding it, and that would be my recommendation to you - save the money, get it thoroughly inspected, make sure it is running in perfect order then MAYBE lower it a bit and some rims just so it looks a bit cleaner, and that would be it.

I'd say save your money for a house/condo, school, better car, etc.

I remember posting in 2003 how unfair it was that I had to pay ludicrous insurance rates... 8 years later... I get it now :thumbsup:
Yeah that makes sense for sure, I have a mechanic that will likely do the work for free as long as I buy parts, and help him install/fix anything. That way I learn too. I just want to clean it up as I will be driving it probably for a year until I start getting co-op jobs through university and actually making decent money. But I have a question about shadow tint, I need my tint removed so do they do a deal for removal/retint or should i just go buy a clothes steamer and remove it myself? If i remove it myself I probably wont retint for a while but if they do have some sort of deal I wouldn't mind having the tint. And one more question, I'm trying to find winter tires, stock tires are 205/55/15 which are impossible to find winter tires. Can i go up to 205/60/15 or even 205/65/15?

Sugarphreak
11-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Kohlman
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

The theoretical size of a 205/60R15 is going to be 3.38% larger than your stock tire diameter; a 205/65R15 would be 6.76%.

As a general rule I'd steer clear of anything that gets close to 7% larger.

Also consider something with less width for winter, less width = more weight per square inch which means better traction in slippery conditions. A 195/55R15 would fit the bill.
Ok thanks, I'm new to all of this so I didn't even know you could put a narrower tire onto the same rim. That helps alot!

Accord_tunerx
11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
my .02 cents here

- Tint
- lower
- Rims

Done.

msommers
11-17-2011, 05:43 PM
If you're set on modding it, make sure you keep all the stock components. Switching it back to stock and then selling all your mods will net you a great return than if they're still on the car. There they almost equate to nothing.

88CRX
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM

I lol'd a couple of the responses.

As long as you can afford it mod away to your hearts content. Don't listen to all the old farts telling you to save you money for something better, haha. Yea it's a waste of money, so what?

89s1
11-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

As long as you can afford it mod away to your hearts content. Don't listen to all the old farts telling you to save you money for something better, haha. Yea it's a waste of money, so what?

:werd:

But I agree with one thing, don't do any crazy mods unless you plan to keep it and make it a dedicated race car/weekend warrior.

ExtremeSi
11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I've got a 95 SR-V. Been a great car. I agree with most people on here - don't go crazy modding it. There's not much to be gained power-wise from the H22 without spending a lot of cash and turboing it or something.

Check out www.preludepower.com for great info and how-to's.

The only mods I've really done are strut tower bars front and rear. Helped tighten up the chassis a little, but not a huge difference.

Definitely check into the timing belt and replace it if it's due. Mine snapped on my old Prelude and left me stranded on the highway. Also had to get the head repaired because all the valves bent.

I'm running 195/55R15 winter tires on mine. As someone else mentioned its usually a good thing to go a bit thinner to cut through the snow in winter anyway. And the factory 205s are hard to find.

It's really funny to see the demographic change on here! Don't worry too much about experimenting with your car. That's what old, cheap cars are for.

Kohlman
11-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

haaha yeah thats what I was think I'm young, and I'll be able to learn alot doing everything along side a mechanic and I'd rather learn on a cheap car

Kohlman
11-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I've got a 95 SR-V. Been a great car. I agree with most people on here - don't go crazy modding it. There's not much to be gained power-wise from the H22 without spending a lot of cash and turboing it or something.

Check out www.preludepower.com for great info and how-to's.

The only mods I've really done are strut tower bars front and rear. Helped tighten up the chassis a little, but not a huge difference.

Definitely check into the timing belt and replace it if it's due. Mine snapped on my old Prelude and left me stranded on the highway. Also had to get the head repaired because all the valves bent.

I'm running 195/55R15 winter tires on mine. As someone else mentioned its usually a good thing to go a bit thinner to cut through the snow in winter anyway. And the factory 205s are hard to find.

It's really funny to see the demographic change on here! Don't worry too much about experimenting with your car. That's what old, cheap cars are for.

Thanks for the info! I'll get some 195's for sure then because I'll be doing at least a mountain trip every month..

J-hop
11-18-2011, 12:13 AM
As mentioned by some I'd go with suspension mods. For a car like that it will be the best bang for your buck and make it a lot more enjoyable car to drive. Skip the intake/exhaust unless you want it for looks/sound. A "cai" intake is not going to add noticeable hp no matter what the pipe smokers say, neither will exhaust as its not like it's being choked back with the stock setup and it's not a v8. Chances are even if you believe the claims some of these companies boast you still wouldn't return it to its off the showroom performance numbers.

A lot of people get sucked into the wannabe "tuner" fads spending 1000+ on meak bolt ons like CAIs, exhausts, chips (for NA cars) etc only to find hitting the gym a couple times a week and removing their spare tire had more effect on their cars performance than $1000 worth of mods did.

Projek01
11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Go crazy! If you never learn from your mistakes on this car, you might screw up something nicer down the line. Just do things right by researching service manuals and asking others. Just dont blow too much money. I really enjoyed fixing my Celica (high school car) and learned tonnes. Find some friends that know how to work on cars and dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. Dont be a pansy that pays to get EVERYTHING done. Just ask someone that knows what they are doing to check over your work. 5 years with the celica and its probably time to upgrade. Now I have a reliable winter ride when that time comes!

J-hop
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
^ good point, i found I learned 10x more from my mistakes than from my successes. It is good to have a cheaper car as a practicing ground. Nothing worse than screwing up a brand new car.

tehwegz
12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice, great, fun and reliable first car.

I bought a 95 SRV for $1600 last spring as my first sort of project car as it needed quite a bit of work done to it.

Popular tasteful mods you can do to these cars to make them look really good/get engine breathing better are a nice looking set of rims (e.g. Rota slipstreams), one piece JDM headlights, coilovers, tint, AEM intake, hytech replica header, invidia exhaust...all of that will run you an easy $3k however and as mentioned before ITT, make sure it's in good working order before you start dumping money in to the pit.

Good sites for our ludes are PreludeOnline and PreludePower. Lots of information. What I provided are some of the more popular mods, and really all you need to do.