PDA

View Full Version : snowboard jackets

03ozwhip
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
its been years since i bought a snowboard jacket. looking for a little help in finding one less than $250 that does the job and better. what do you guys use, where are you buying your stuff and what are some recommendations. thanks!

edit: are DC jackets any good? they look good and online they sound decent, any personal experiences?

schocker
11-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a burton shell and just wear a hoodie underneath so I can control the temperature. I just wanted to make sure it was good with stopping wind and water so it does the job and I also got it as it matched my pants so they zip together so I remain very dry.

03ozwhip
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
ya i have some really good boarding pants ive had for years but are still near mint, no issues, so no need to try and have a onesie suit.

i havent had a burton but ive heard good things aside from them being mostly expensive.

wintonyk
11-16-2011, 10:17 PM
like schocker. I just wear a shell and clothes underneath. I have a burton shell, underarmour cold armour, a long sleeve t and a regular T and I am good for down to minus 20.

If you can match your pants with your jacket (i.e. same brand) so your snow skirt can zip together.

03ozwhip
11-16-2011, 10:23 PM
ya, same. i generally wear a T-shirt, hoody and my jacket and ive never been cold. my pants have supenders and hike damn near up to my chest and that also helps keep me warm in the belly area.

any specific brands you guys always buy?

max_boost
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I got a Burton jacket and everything from Source. Works pretty good. I find myself sweating it up lol probably because I'm a noob so working extra hard. :nut:

Nakadah
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Hah, when I am snowboarding I only wear a jacket and a T-Shirt...

My favorite brand is Rossignol. However, all my Rossignol jackets were bought in Europe.

One of them I have since I was grade 7 and still wear it(daily).

I also have spyder jacket which does the job for snowboarding.

nj2Type-S
11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
i have a helly hansen jacket for snowboarding. i just wear a base layer ubderneath and i'm ok to around -30. i have to wear a hoodie, too, if it's colder, lol!

BlackRadon
11-17-2011, 12:39 AM
foursquare, spécial blend, nomis make some great jackets for decent prices. But I'm like most of the guys, wear a shell with a hoodie and such. I do wear and "all in one" type jacket for around town and such and it is a marc ekco winter jacket i bought four year ago but haven't wore it yet.

DC jackets are hit and miss i think, I've had a spring/summer shell type jacket. It was probably my favourite jacket, but i for stolen from me..its bright yellow and if you have it give it back!!! haha

msommers
11-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Check out winner's. Some really good deals to be had surprisingly.

DarkDream
11-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Volcom shell snowboarding jacket.

I wear a hoody underneath when its cold, and just a tshirt whens its hot.

heavyfuel
11-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
its been years since i bought a snowboard jacket. looking for a little help in finding one less than $250 that does the job and better. what do you guys use, where are you buying your stuff and what are some recommendations. thanks!

edit: are DC jackets any good? they look good and online they sound decent, any personal experiences?

I got some DC swag on the way right now from Dogfunk.com, looking forward to it myself. I've had Quiksilver for years and it's always kept me warm and dry.

03ozwhip
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

I got some DC swag on the way right now from Dogfunk.com, looking forward to it myself. I've had Quiksilver for years and it's always kept me warm and dry.

ya thats where im thinking of ordering from too. what did you get? when are you suppose to get it? let me know what the shipping/duty charges come out to, its the only thing im scared of ordering from there lol

arian_ma
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I bought my DC jacket from backcountry.com last year for like $180 shipped. I really like it, and I can't remember any days where I was cold (minus at the end of the chairlift). The pow skirt also buttons into my snow pants (vs zipped). I have never buttoned it and have never had a wet butt.

03ozwhip
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
i think i found the jacket i want. thanks for the input guys. beyond winter cruise to sunshine soon?? :D

jampack
11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Check out Oakley as well but go to the Oakley Vault in CrossIron Mills as they all have the old styles from last year and older. They are very good too! You can get 50%-75% off the original prices of the jackets from last year which would be around $100-$200 depending on the jacket. :)

J-hop
11-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

how do you find your quicksilver? I have two quicksilver jackets and they don't breath worth shit.

I have a DC shell I wear for riding and i love it, before that was strictly special blend or Burton.

heavyfuel
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

ya thats where im thinking of ordering from too. what did you get? when are you suppose to get it? let me know what the shipping/duty charges come out to, its the only thing im scared of ordering from there lol

I got the Donon pants, Spectrum jacket and Trillions hoodie, they won't ship to Canada so I have a friend of a friend picking it up in Washington and sending it to me. Keep you posted as to what it comes out to, so far customer service at Dogfunk is top-notch, and shipping 2-day UPS to US addresses over a certain amount it's free.

Originally posted by J-hop

how do you find your quicksilver? I have two quicksilver jackets and they don't breath worth shit.

I have a DC shell I wear for riding and i love it, before that was strictly special blend or Burton.

Dunno how the jackets fare, but I have Quiksilver Utility pants from 4 years ago, all I ever wear is gym shorts underneath and I'm bone dry all day. I have Helly Hanson pants too, and I gotta say the Quiksilvers keep me warmer and drier. On the flip side, My HH jacket I'm very happy with.

tobypaddock
11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Thinkempire.ca is based out of Montreal I think so I don't have to worry about duties etc... Pretty good selection of stuff, I haven't personally ordered from them but a few of my friends swear by them

Mar
11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
My brother and I are both really active on the mountain, he's with Pro Patrol and I ride just about every weekend, between us we get 60-70% off a lot of the retailers, I've tried a lot of the gear out there.

I go mostly Burton for fairly simple reasons, my jacket is amazing. I think I have the System jacket but not totally sure, it was a few years ago I bought it.

Regular price was $200 above your budget but well worth it, I don't have to wear anything but a t-shirt underneath even if it's -30 degrees out, if you do then that's a sign that your jacket isn't cutting it, get a new one. It has waterproof pockets in the chest, a dedicated waterproof pocket for a MP3 player, and a headphone wire route up to the collar from the pocket.
And best of all, Burton backs all of their gear with the best warranty in the business, if anything at all happens to your jacket in your lifetime, send it to them and they'll have it repaired/replaced and sent back within 48 hours. That's dedication.

Also, do yourself a favour and go out and get a poly pro undershirt. I have a Helly Hanson and it keeps you warm and dry by pulling the moisture away from your skin when you sweat. They're about $50 and you'll thank me later.