PDA

View Full Version : Housing Years - Good/Bad

Sasuke_Kensai
11-17-2011, 01:19 PM
The girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first used home soon. Anyone have hearsay evidence as to what ranges of years are poor? So far my list of potential years to avoid are:

40's
Mid-80's
2000-on

Based on ddduke's reply in the one Cardel Home's thread, a lot of the newer homes are junk. Is there a specific year this started, or was it a gradual slide since the '90s? Is it really specific to the house?

Tik-Tok
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai

Based on ddduke's reply in the one Cardel Home's thread, a lot of the newer homes are junk. Is there a specific year this started, or was it a gradual slide since the '90s? Is it really specific to the house?

The only ones I would avoid are 2005+. The boom brought a lot of hacks from other provinces during that time. The 80's were similar, but not as bad, and after 25 years most of their issues have already been addressed.

swak
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
before i went to school, i was an apprentice plumber.

From that i learned that cast iron (seen in most old homes) is slowly becoming a thing of the past (due to cost among other things).
Now we have crappier plastic pipes, that are noisier, and higher maintenance.... Thus making newer homes more aggravating unless you convert to cast.
We were working on a multi-million dollar/condo condo complex in Canmore, and they even used plastic. I was pretty shocked, so just because you spend more on a home, doesn't necessarily mean better plumbing either.

So i would say buy used, and fix er up, or buy custom new (ie. not Cardel)

HiTempguy1
11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by swak
before i went to school, i was an apprentice plumber.

From that i learned that cast iron (seen in most old homes) is slowly becoming a thing of the past (due to cost among other things).
Now we have crappier plastic pipes, that are noisier, and higher maintenance.... Thus making newer homes more aggravating unless you convert to cast.
We were working on a multi-million dollar/condo condo complex in Canmore, and they even used plastic. I was pretty shocked, so just because you spend more on a home, doesn't necessarily mean better plumbing either.

So i would say buy used, and fix er up, or buy custom new (ie. not Cardel)

I don't even know what to say :rolleyes: Plastic has been used extensively for waste water in houses for a very, very long time. I did plumbing (and then heating) for over two years. The materials used nowadays are superior in many ways to previous methods when USED CORRECTLY.

My father is a home builder in Red Deer, if a house is built correctly (and there are SOME quality builders out there), a new house is an infinitely better purchase compared to a used house. I have lived in a lot of new houses (and been in over 3000 new houses in Red Deer during the boom), and I would never choose an older house over a newer house. The newer house has (some of the points are theoretical and depend on certain things) many distinct advantages:

-new age construction methods and materials (longer lasting, more durable)
-high efficient everything (the difference between an 80% efficient and 95% furnace is HUGE)
-typically sealed MUCH better so no nasty drafts, less heat loss, again, more money saved in the long run due to heating/AC costs
-clean (there is something to be said starting with a brand new, clean house, similiar to starting a car project with a brand new car vs a mis-cared for piece of junk)
-less foundation issues

By far, the biggest issue for myself when buying used is ROI. Sqft for sqft, typically houses don't "lose" value. Therefore, a 20 year old house (not factoring in neighbourhood), can be fairly close in price to a brand new house, but offer none of the modern age benefits. I've been in so many old houses in Red Deer and can't imagine some of the terrible quality that went into the trades "way back". Even if you say you are going to renovate... you probably aren't. Renovations SUCK, period. And if you do them, they'll take twice as long and cost twice as much.

My point is, don't write off buying a new house because of people trying to scare you with "poor build quality" stories. That's like saying modern cars are built worse than cars in the 60's, it is absurd.

Masked Bandit
11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
From an insurance perspective I can tell you to stay away from:

- Anything with galvanized / cast iron plumbing
- Aluminum wiring
- 60 amp electrical service (should be at least 100 amp)
- Roof that is more than 20 years old.
- Furnace that is more than 20 years old. If it is, just make sure it's been serviced in the last couple of years.

If you stick with pretty much anything built in the late 70's forward you'll be okay.

sputnik
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
From an insurance perspective I can tell you to stay away from:

- Anything with galvanized / cast iron plumbing

My house was built in 1956 and has cast iron drains/stacks.

They are GREAT and VERY quiet. Sure if you need to work on them its a bit more complicated than ABS. But its nice to be able to flush the toilet and not have the entire house hear it.

masoncgy
11-17-2011, 04:00 PM
You run the risk of dealing with asbestos in homes that are 40+ years old... something to consider in a lot those 'character homes' out there that need updating.

InRich
11-17-2011, 07:38 PM
U know what OP I'm not blown away by my home... Cardel... but its a very nice home, and most of the issue's that I had were corrected, and I am very happy here now.

As someone said earlier. I wouldnt buy a boom constructed home, 2005 - 2009. mine is a 2010. I wouldn't buy another Cardel home either. but I heard many good things about companies like Morison, Baywest...

I would never buy an older home... I dont care if its 10 years old, 20, 30, 40. doesn't matter. your going to have issue's in them all. sometimes their major issues... take the houses in mckenzie for ex. their all nice. but the roofs, need doing, windows, stucco, doors, furnaces, etc. issue's i dont want to deal with. I would recommend buying new...

If I was on a budget I'd go Discovery
If I wanted another house like mine, Morison.
If I wanted a really nice house, I'd bay west probably.

msommers
11-18-2011, 02:51 AM
I was working as a part-time electrician while going to school in 2005-2006. We'd install light fixtures in people's homes and in brand new ones getting built. My God the shit I saw at the new places was reason alone that I will never buy a brand new house unless it is custom and built by someone I trust that can contract skilled workers and able to manage shit properly.

I remember I was working in a new home in Evergreen, and I had to go find a plumber because water was coming through the electrical box. Apparently, this wasn't the first time the tub plumbing upstairs was leaking... Lots of "just fucking get it done" in the air. Never, "make sure it's right." Yikes. Maybe homes now are built to a higher standard because all the dumbasses have been canned and there isn't a sense of urgency to construct a home in 5 months, or less!

Masked Bandit
11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

My house was built in 1956 and has cast iron drains/stacks.

They are GREAT and VERY quiet. Sure if you need to work on them its a bit more complicated than ABS. But its nice to be able to flush the toilet and not have the entire house hear it.

Note that I said FROM AN INSURANCE PERSPECTIVE...

For some unknown reason insurance companies are afraid of galvanized plumbing.

I never said it was worse than ABS, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass come time for insurance. I have had some moderate success if it's just the drain stack but there are a few companies that outrightly refuse (assuming it's actually disclosed to them).

Sasuke_Kensai
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Hmm, all good points - we'll probably end up with something in the 90's up to 2005 (don't want to be at the very edge of the city in a brand new home).

We've only lived with plastic piping, and are fine with the noise. Generally we're bigger fans of modernization except perhaps materials - my brother's always spouting off about the "good ol' days of solid construction". Even if materials are better pound for pound, it seems like there may still be a lot of corner cutting these days - which is fine to a point.

I guess the important thing is to have a good inspection? As we look at houses and hear stories, it seems like pretty much every house has some sort of issue, new or old.

Masked Bandit
11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
What part of the city are you looking at?

Sasuke_Kensai
11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Most of the communities around Sarcee (as far as West Springs), maybe Varsity as well. Avoiding Crowchild. So it's looking like it'll either be a bungalow from the 60s, or a 2-story from the 90's/2000's going by the houses available.

Masked Bandit
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I would go with the newer house.

eblend
11-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai

I guess the important thing is to have a good inspection? As we look at houses and hear stories, it seems like pretty much every house has some sort of issue, new or old.

Watch Holmes on Homes, watch for things to avoid. Alot of inspectors seem to be in the pocket of the realtors, so they will pass a house and get a cut should you buy the house. Find a good inspector with an IR camera so they can see behind the walls and find all of the draft points, missing insulation ect. This being said, my house was built in 2006 in evergreen, and I have no issues with it. I wanted a newer house, less issues to deal with. Renos = lots of money and time...not something you want to do when you move into a new house. I spend nearly 1.5 years developing the basement (1 weekend/week), the dust from that spreads throughout the house..not very fun or pleasant environment.

bspot
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

By far, the biggest issue for myself when buying used is ROI. Sqft for sqft, typically houses don't "lose" value. Therefore, a 20 year old house (not factoring in neighbourhood), can be fairly close in price to a brand new house,

This is not true at all.

Buildings depreciate, land appreciates.

The reason the 20 year old house costs the same as a new one is it's closer to the centre of the city and the lot is worth more.

Think about it, if you put in just basic maintenance on a place to keep it in good condition, is a house with 90's oak cabinets, arbirite counters and lino floors (all were common in that era) going to be worth as much as a house next door that is a brand new build with modern finishings? No way. You have to pay tens of thousands to maintain the value in your home by continuously updating it, because it's always going to be depreciating.

HiTempguy1
11-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bspot

This is not true at all.

Buildings depreciate, land appreciates.

The reason the 20 year old house costs the same as a new one is it's closer to the centre of the city and the lot is worth more.

Think about it, if you put in just basic maintenance on a place to keep it in good condition, is a house with 90's oak cabinets, arbirite counters and lino floors (all were common in that era) going to be worth as much as a house next door that is a brand new build with modern finishings? No way. You have to pay tens of thousands to maintain the value in your home by continuously updating it, because it's always going to be depreciating.

I consider a house and the land it is built on to be one and the same thing, as it is to 95% of people. It is a package deal, you don't get one without the other.

My point remains, a "house's" value typically remains a constant (sqft wise) if the neighborhood doesn't go to shits, whether that is due to the value of the land going up (which doesn't matter, as for most it still isn't worth it to knock down the old house and start new). I never said anything about an old busted ass house being next to a new one, don't be absurd. But to seperate the two values of house and land is pointless.

AndyL
11-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Nothings absolute... But in my world, once you hit the 90s, things really started going to Sh*t...

I can live with dusty rose walls, dark oak cabinetry, colored porcelain, and negligibly higher heating/electric bills... I can't live with garage floors with huge heaves, mold from people daring to use the washroom without turning on the fan, particle/chip/osb sheeting...

Did you know they're now installing make-up air units into new houses? Seriously? The houses are so tight they need more (powered) equipment to ventilate them properly... How is that efficient? Save 5kw of power by not having to run the furnace as much - and add 30kw to run that MAU to ventilate it adequately?

Best example on the sheeting issue - drive through douglasdale estates, look at the asphault shingled roofs - why can you easily locate EVERY truss? The sheeting's sagged between each... Now you can debate it all you want - but I call that a structural issue; if I'm scared to climb on a roof - because I figure I'll fall through; you're never going to convince me it's not structural :) You don't see that in pre-90s construction...